Why I am ok with not quilfying in top 32.

• Thread starter backpian1
  • 90 comments
I don’t have many posts here, so maybe I don’t really belong here but.

I’m one of the Belgium finalists. And why did I qualify?
Well first of all, to see where I stand against others. And nope I didn’t race 24/7 in the academy to get to the finals. But I admit to get in the Belgium top 8 wasn’t that easy, so I spend more hours than usual at trying. I have a fulltime job and a GF to keep happy, so you see… :)

Second. The experience of being at Silverstone would be fantastic. But I haven’t made it yet. Do I want to be a pro racer, yea off course! Do you have to give up your life for it? I don’t think so. Are you getting paid loads, don’t think so either. But it’s a costless way to try and make it to, for example, Le Mans, and drive an LMP. That’s just crazy ****! OK Nissan may have all the right and best people on their teams. But really? Those who even dare think that it’s easy in race car, come on!
An LMP won’t drive it self I guess. And de GT-R in a GT race. I don’t think that they are the top cars. I don’t see many other teams in them. Plus comparing the road status of the GT-R against race cars?! Just because its fast stock doesn’t mean it has anything to do with de racing modify on them.

An third. I’m a man. We all are born to be competitive! We all want to be the best.

Owyea,… and forth. I know 2 Dutch guys who made it to Silverstone last year! Those outfits and helmets,…. You can take them home! :)

Greets Sven,

PS.: People who know me, cross your fingers on the regional finals day, for me please ;) Cause luck is still a part of racing.

So to conclude, I wouldn’t be OK with being in the top 32, or 8 here in Belgium :)

I don’t have many posts here, so maybe I don’t really belong here but.

I’m one of the Belgium finalists. And why did I qualify?
Well first of all, to see where I stand against others. And nope I didn’t race 24/7 in the academy to get to the finals. But I admit to get in the Belgium top 8 wasn’t that easy, so I spend more hours than usual at trying. I have a fulltime job and a GF to keep happy, so you see… :)

Second. The experience of being at Silverstone would be fantastic. But I haven’t made it yet. Do I want to be a pro racer, yea off course! Do you have to give up your life for it? I don’t think so. Are you getting paid loads, don’t think so either. But it’s a costless way to try and make it to, for example, Le Mans, and drive an LMP. That’s just crazy ****! OK Nissan may have all the right and best people on their teams. But really? Those who even dare think that it’s easy in race car, come on!
An LMP won’t drive it self I guess. And de GT-R in a GT race. I don’t think that they are the top cars. I don’t see many other teams in them. Plus comparing the road status of the GT-R against race cars?! Just because its fast stock doesn’t mean it has anything to do with de racing modify on them.

An third. I’m a man. We all are born to be competitive! We all want to be the best.

Owyea,… and forth. I know 2 Dutch guys who made it to Silverstone last year! Those outfits and helmets,…. You can take them home! :)

Greets Sven,

PS.: People who know me, cross your fingers on the regional finals day, for me please ;) Cause luck is still a part of racing.

So to conclude, I wouldn’t be OK with being in the top 32, or 8 here in Belgium :)

Congratulations on reaching the finals, can i ask you something ? How old are you ? I guess that you are 28 years old..... that would be just not to old for competing, you are lucky ;)

I wish you all the best during the finals in august, hope you make it to Silverstone.

Congratulations on reaching the finals, can i ask you something ? How old are you ? I guess that you are 28 years old..... that would be just not to old for competing, you are lucky ;)

I wish you all the best during the finals in august, hope you make it to Silverstone.
The only age restriction I can recall is 18+.:confused:

The only age restriction I can recall is 18+.:confused:

If you are arround 40 ish, you will be able to go to the national finals, but they will never let you go through to the International final. NISSAN is not intrested in senior drivers !!

If you are arround 40 ish, you will be able to go to the national finals, but they will never let you go through to the International final. NISSAN is not intrested in senior drivers !!

I just turned 31 today :scared:. I am a US finalist hope im not to old lol.:indiff:

I enjoyed the competition (28 thousandth something in world, or N.A. (not sure which is "all") and 384th or something in Canada; pretty good eh :)

Was also fun competing against psn friends, and even besting them on one session-even Shin Roh :); and most are always quicker than me :)

I am 28 indeed.

And thank's, i hope i get there. But still have to beat 13 others so...!

Aah we'll see how it goes.

Your career as a driver wouldn't last very long, not to mention most people past that age are not physically fit enough to drive a car on a track for hours on end.

Start 'em young.

There's always endurance racing, look at the #2 Audi team this year in WEC, most of the guys well past 40. There's a lot of old guys all around the field in different classes in WEC. So if you're stable enough, there's good racing for a long time, I'd say it's a lot easier to go farther for longer in racing than in any other sport save for maybe Golfing or shooting xD

Yeah but they've been in the business for a while. A 40 year old racing now that's been doing it for years is certainly not the same as someone getting into racing at the same age.

R1600Turbo
most people past that age are not physically fit enough to drive a car on a track for hours on end.

Start 'em young.

Seriously? I think that physical fitness isn't the reason that most race drivers retire!

Remember that with age comes wisdom.

mjm23race
Seriously? I think that physical fitness isn't the reason that most race drivers retire!

Remember that with age comes wisdom.

Did I say that? No....

I'm saying an average joe over 40 just isn't going to win this competition. I even think Bryan's age was pushing it. They want someone young like Jann.

Did I say that? No....

I'm saying an average joe over 40 just isn't going to win this competition. I even think Bryan's age was pushing it. They want someone young like Jann.

True, they want young people, in there twenties, Bryan was already on the edge. This is for different reasons, there is ofcourse the career line (being longer as you start younger) but it has also to do with commercial points... Nissan does not want to make advertisements with an old grey guy trying to get in or out his racecar, and then there is the fact that most of the older people have 'a mind of there own', NISSAN wants to be able to shape theire drivers. Afther all you will be representing their brand.

I do think this is normal, for example, I have been doing endurance kart races (in team) we where sponsered by an energy drink manufactor, and a brand that sells clothes. We won a few competitions, and i am the oldest in the team, when the press wanted to make pictures, i was kindly asked to take position in the back, behind the youngsters.... So marketing has a big impact...

About the fitness of 'older' folks, If you are fit you are fit, For example ; I am 44, but in a lot of better shape then some of the youngsters... I run everyday, and practice on my bike about 5 times a week.... So that would be no problem...I do not have overweight (65kilo's) and i am 1m86 tall. Maybe i do not have the reactions of 21 year old guy, that is true, but i sure would have the stamina.

Typically younger guys win races older guys win championships.

As far as fitness and racing goes my verdict is still out. Sure you must be athletic and fit, but that isn't too difficult when that is part of your job. And when you don't have to work a typical 8-5 job your schedule should allow more time to keep up on your fitness no matter your age. In motorcycle racing I have seen guys that are vegan with almost no body fat and are super athletic that are very muscular lose their stamina (bonk) before race end. I have also seen guys pushing 40 that are 190lbs. wearing a 30lb. leather suit in 100* heat whoop the rest of the field. Motorcycle racing is way more physically demanding than auto racing. So I think that if you are in reasonable shape then there should be no concern due to fitness in your ability to drive a race car really fast.

Im in agreement they would like someone young with alot of racing years ahead of them anyone over 32 is along for the ride in my opinion

Not saying I know what Nissan wants, but look at it like this. A lot of young people already know everything and have a hard time taking advice / criticism. Young people often have a lot of life lessons to learn yet. Nissan could foreseeably invest a lot of time and money grooming a young driver. Then when said driver is more experienced they get scooped up by another team for more $$. It can honestly be a gamble either way.

Back