Why I will most likely stick with Forza 3 over GT5

• Thread starter Delirious
  • 316 comments
I love FM3, but the only cars that are a handful are the racers.

That is sort of my point. If only the controls where not skewed towards simple/easy controller support.

The near perfect driving/race sim would have GT5 visuals with Forza configurabiliy and painting on top of rFactor physics engine and modifiability.

That right there would be a fun time :)

Hey guys, i haven't been on the forum in a good while, i got GT5 straight away...and loved it. But i recently brought an xbox and got Forza 3, i must say i am astounded with the choice of cars...not the amount but the variety and of course, PORSCHE!. Truth is, i love forza 3, i doubted it in the past but i was wrong do to so, and in some ways, i actually prefer it over GT5.

We couldn't have predicted a ...well...more predictable response from you. Keep up the good work 👍

Either back up your arguments with proof or back away. While we allow debates with a lot of leeway on these forums, this is getting rather silly.

When you are asked to show proof on GTPlanet, proof is expected. The incessant run-around is getting borderline spammy.

Thank you.

2. The FM3 credit scheme works better and thereby (at this point) allows all of our racers to buy and upgrade whatever cars they want to race without having to grind in single-player.
Both games have ridiculously expensive cars but I think earning money is a lot easier in GT5.

Either back up your arguments with proof or back away. While we allow debates with a lot of leeway on these forums, this is getting rather silly.

When you are asked to show proof on GTPlanet, proof is expected. The incessant run-around is getting borderline spammy.

Thank you.
Already did back up my argument by explaining my experiences with my games. Thank you. Now move along.

Bunch of sad people in here.
Agreed 100%.

I'm done with FM3 and enjoying GT5, that being said I can't wait for FM4 and will buy a 360 again just for it.

I'm also looking forward to Shift 2 and Dirt 3, GT5 has proven we're not yet at the stage were one driving game can satisfying all your needs.

but you clearly have an unprecedented talent for converting bowel movements into words. Goodbye.

Not to interrupt, but that might just be the best line I've ever read typed out on a forum. Might have to file that one away for future reference. 👍

And just to add to the festivities of the thread. The guy who said something about only high HP racers even having a chance of breaking loose in FM3 is spot on. Those of use who actually played the first two understand that the physics were certainly dumbed down for 3. Those who never played the first two, which I suspect is where alot of the fans of FM3 come from, don't know any better.

Already did back up my argument by explaining my experiences with my games. Thank you. Now move along.

"Move along" is not discussing the topic. "Move along" is spam.

I'm tired of watching you guys (both sides) snipe at each other. How about we all "move along?" Anything off-topic and devoid of any discussional content (I.E.: Pot-Kettle, Move-Along, Sniping-in-General) gets deleted.

That is sort of my point. If only the controls where not skewed towards simple/easy controller support.

The near perfect driving/race sim would have GT5 visuals with Forza configurabiliy and painting on top of rFactor physics engine and modifiability.

That right there would be a fun time :)
What? Do you have traction control on or what? This for me is the biggest reason too still play FM3 over GT5.

Not to interrupt, but that might just be the best line I've ever read typed out on a forum. Might have to file that one away for future reference. 👍

And just to add to the festivities of the thread. The guy who said something about only high HP racers even having a chance of breaking loose in FM3 is spot on. Those of use who actually played the first two understand that the physics were certainly dumbed down for 3. Those who never played the first two, which I suspect is where alot of the fans of FM3 come from, don't know any better.
Unfortunately, that is not true.

The Toyota Trueno manages to break loose unexpectantly every now an then. Even on the widest race tires, it can break tracton fairly easy if I am too aggressive. I find it to be a PITA on courses like Tsukuba, Motegi, Nurburgring GP, where I am looking to get back on throttle right at the apexes. If I back off a bit, then all is well except for my chances of winning a race. So I must drive at 11/10ths in order to win. Which is what I am supposed to be doing right?

IMO FM3 is the best in Forza's series when it comes to driving RWD's. In FM1+FM2, anything RWD was frustratingly hard to drive until you tuned the living daylights out of it. Then you were still at a major disadvantage to any of the other drivetrains. In FM3 it takes some effort to break a RWD car loose when driving leisurly. And if you can manage keeping the car on the bleading edge, you are competive against the other drive trains (to some degree). In FM1+2 a loose RWD was a given.

What? Do you have traction control on or what?

No I don't. That again is the point. There is far too much available traction in the game. This allows you to drive far more aggressively than is possible in even the most liberal of universes - which for anyone with any real-world experience sort of knocks the game right down from "simulator" to Fast n Furious levels.

Not that there is anything wrong with overtly unrealistic games, it is just that every now and again it would be great if there was differentiation between the morass of half-baked titles out there ;)

Sometimes we just want to play "real" instead of "fake"...

No I don't. That again is the point. There is far too much available traction in the game. This allows you to drive far more aggressively than is possible in even the most liberal of universes - which for anyone with any real-world experience sort of knocks the game right down from "simulator" to Fast n Furious levels.

Not that there is anything wrong with overtly unrealistic games, it is just that every now and again it would be great if there was differentiation between the morass of half-baked titles out there ;)

Sometimes we just want to play "real" instead of "fake"...
So turn it off then and try too drive the alfa romeo 8c or 430 Scuderia with traction control OFF. then get back too me.

It's interesting to see that some people get too much traction in either GT or Forza, and some get proper traction in GT and Forza. Must be different copies of the game, or different approaches to driving.

JoeMaPampang, I left your post up for a few hours so you could amend it as needed.

I am guessing that my GTPlaneteer Super Decoder Ring must either be needing calibration or your reading and comprehension skills might be no better than your driving ability.

Twilight Zone Script
I originally stated:

RC45: That is sort of my point. If only the controls where not skewed towards simple/easy controller support.

To which you replied:

JoeMaPampang: What? Do you have traction control on or what?

Which I answered with:

RC45: No I don't. That again is the point. There is far too much available traction in the game.

And your retort was:

JoeMaPampang: So turn it off then and try too drive the alfa romeo 8c or 430 Scuderia with traction control OFF. then get back too me.

Now in your Twilight Zone there may be various interpretations of "No", but here on earth it is generally indicating a result in the negative or to the opposite if what is being asked/proposed.

Forza3 has too much available traction to be taken seriously.

Don't hate on me because the game is just that, a game - it is still enjoyable, but not nearly as "close" to the real world as FM2 was.

And the other part, about how vets of FM1 and FM2 know the physics were dumbed down is completely true. I know that statement hurts the feelings of some. It is one of the many reasons why FM2 was a staple of the XBL Top 10 for 2 years and FM3 can't crack it. The dumbed down physics, the AWD stupidity, the horrible multiplayer. It all adds up to a franchise going backwards towards oblivion. Just like how MS's other big racer, PGR, went backwards into oblivion.

Last edited by a moderator:
No really, that comment about turning bowel movements into words was great. It's completely true. And it fits so many around here.:crazy:

And the other part, about how vets of FM1 and FM2 know the physics were dumbed down is completely true. I know that statement hurts the feelings of some. It is one of the many reasons why FM2 was a staple of the XBL Top 10 for 2 years and FM3 can't crack it. The dumbed down physics, the AWD stupidity, the horrible multiplayer. It all adds up to a franchise going backwards towards oblivion. Just like how MS's other big racer, PGR, went backwards into oblivion.
Well, your opinion is duly noted.

both games have their ups and downs. I bought a xbox (correction I got a free broken xbox from one friend and my other buddy fixed it, he has fixed a ton so far) just because of Forza. FREE XBOX 360 FTW!

GT5 I have mixed feelings I love it and hate it, but i'm still glad I bought it. The end result is both games are great but if the makers or forza and GT came together and made a game, that would be the most epic racing game ever............I will keep dreaming of that tho lol

I went back to Forza 3 last night since having GT5....My findings...

First off i fired up GT5 and done a few single lap races round the ring to get the feel before trying Forza.

Fired up Forza and it felt like i was driving a hovercraft! The handling felt really strange....however i found that i was in 4th place having a huge battle on my hands to get into 3rd...WOW this did not happen in GT5...after a few seconds i have the left everyone behind in GT5 and always win the race by huge margins...Anyway back to Forza and still battling with 3rd, 2nd & 1st, finally getting into 1st place just before the Carousel and then staying in lead to the finish 6 seconds in front. Played a good few other races and got a hang of the controls again but still no where near GT5's handling.

So after a few more races (exciting races) i came to the conclusion that Forza is by far the more fun game with the AI giving you a challenge no matter what car i was choosing, while GT5 i thought the handling was far superior but no where near as much fun. To me Forza seems the better game.

One small note would be the graphics in Forza really surprised me, i think i actually preferred the look of the ring and Suzaka & Tbuska and the cars looked great also although the cockpit graphics in GT5 are way better.

Last edited:
That is one long list of NO PICTURES. They all say "No image by that name was found"

I prefer Forza 3 over GT5 for the sheer fun factor. When I am playing GT5, I don't seem to have much fun. But when I play FM3, I have fun. Maybe it is just the little bit of arcade touch to it.💡

I went back to Forza 3 last night since having GT5....My findings...

First off i fired up GT5 and done a few single lap races round the ring to get the feel before trying Forza.

Fired up Forza and it felt like i was driving a hovercraft! The handling felt really strange....however i found that i was in 4th place having a huge battle on my hands to get into 3rd...WOW this did not happen in GT5...after a few seconds i have the left everyone behind in GT5 and always win the race by huge margins...Anyway back to Forza and still battling with 3rd, 2nd & 1st, finally getting into 1st place just before the Carousel and then staying in lead to the finish 6 seconds in front. Played a good few other races and got a hang of the controls again but still no where near GT5's handling.

So after a few more races (exciting races) i came to the conclusion that Forza is by far the more fun game with the AI giving you a challenge no matter what car i was choosing, while GT5 i thought the handling was far superior but no where near as much fun. To me Forza seems the better game.

One small note would be the graphics in Forza really surprised me, i think i actually preferred the look of the ring and Suzaka & Tbuska and the cars looked great also although the cockpit graphics in GT5 are way better.

I largely agree with these comments. I have both games (Level 50 in Forza 3, Level 30 Aspec in GT5). The handling in GT5 is better hands down. No competition. The graphics are also better in GT5 for the most part, particularly in the cockpits, which look amazing. Some parts of the tracks in GT5 that you only see in bspec look like they came straight out of GT3 or 4. The AI in GT5 is just as good as Forza 3 if you are doing a competitive race, with comparably matched cars (i.e. - the Historic Cup race). Forza 3 has difficulty levels and so there is more flexibility as to AI. Its easier to make big $$$ in GT5 than Forza and thus my garage in GT5 is already bigger than my Forza 3 garage, even though I have had Forza 3 since it launched. Forza 3 has way more events. Even though I am Level 50, I am not even close to the end. GT5 has a much more diverse selection of cars than Forza 3. Overall, both games are extremely fun, but for somewhat different reasons.

Just tried a EVO X with Racing Medium, fully ajustable race suspension and engine souped up to 370hp at Laguna Seca in GT5.

Just before I did the same with a EVO X with the same specs in F3. Played with a PWTS.

In this specific comparison (go try it if you care) I feel much more involved with Forza than GT5. The racing tires and suspension just robs my EVO of any realistic handling. Oversteer is nonexistent (I know they greatly reduce it in real life but it does'nt make it disapear magically!) , the car behave like its a block of wood and if not for the wheel forcefeedback I wonder how I would enjoy the thing. Forza still shows body roll and braking still require some care. With GT its to the floor, release and turn the wheel.

Gearchange is totally unrealistic (like flickin a light switch) although I understand that the dsg in the EVO X is REAL fast. But Forza gives you the feel that when you pull on that paddle shifter there is some drivetrain effect acting on the car.

Soundwise its not even close. Engine and tires sounds like real in Forza, Black n Decker in GT5, wisch is not good for immersion.

BUT! This is just for this situation. Take a 350z with sports medium and it becomes an entirely different story. Now handling in GT5 is really alive with all the understeer/oversteer occurences and weight transfer effects that are most realistically implemented. I would say the car is a bit too hard to drive compared to reality (no way a 300hp car is THAT hard to drive) but its still more realistic than F3.

I could go on and on but I just want to illustrate that when we talk about these 2 games, everything is not as black or white as some would like you to beleive. GT5 is much more realistic with RWD. With FF and AWD the gap is much closer.

I drive my car (240sx with SR20DET) on a track every summer at least twice so I think my point of comparison is fair.

Gear change is the key word here,gear ratio cannot be adjusted in GT5. Did you adjust the gears individually on the EVO in FM3?
Also the decent, that decent before the first corner at Laguna Seca in FM3 is more dramatic. Laguna Seca in FM3 has that sensation that 'this is it' kind of way but definitely not Nurburgring, like you said about black and white holds true.
Gran turismo have been using DSG on all cars since 1997 and the sound effects for gear changes in GT5 are there to stay.

Last edited:
I just returned to Forza 3 after a long hiatus, and the online mode really adds to it. It's a shame though that you're just dumped into a random lobby instead of being allowed to choose in GT5. It's still an excellent game though.

Gear change is the key word here,gear ratio cannot be adjusted in GT5. Did you adjust the gears individually on the EVO in FM3?

Well, I had no gearbox modifications, was using stock tranny for both so no gearing ratio ajustment. Gear ratio actually can be ajusted if you buy the ''fully ajustable'' :sly: gearbox.

And by the way, I retried that test yesterday just for fun and Forza wins this comparison HANDSDOWN. So to those stating everywhere that GT5 is lightyears ahead, eat my shorts.

Back