Why is the Sambabus so important?

• Thread starter AJFast12
  • 251 comments
The bus is one of the most iconic vehicles ever made with the longest production run of any van/car ever made. OP cars do not have to be sporty to be raced or have lots of power, GT sport already has enough high end super cars VGT and race cars. I bet if you looked and the racing in countries around the world, most of it will be at lower performance levels.

Take a look at modern motor sport, is Formula One Fun to watch...... Nope the cars can not even follow each other with out aerodynamic issues. The best motor sport is at lower club level where entry is cheaper and more people can enter and race.

Tell me this is not fun

We have more fun in our Mazda Roadsters with 155bhp then anything with 400+bhp

I will be the first to own the bus, I will tune it so that it is drivable and put my racing livery on it, you will see me in public lobbies racing it, and i might even run a series on GT planet for it.

As others have said, it's an iconic ride. Past GT games having 700+ cars it made a lot of sense to have the more obscure cars/vans/jeeps/benz wagons. Although with GTS having such an incredibly low car count I can see why a lot of people won't be thrilled that time was taken on a big 60s van instead of more iconic RACING cars. I don't mind it though, I'm happy with more road cars because the slower road cars is what I loved about the old GT games.

90E495F7-2854-44EA-89F8-BD2D3259AEE8.jpeg

Why the VW Sambabus you ask... well to answer your question, it’s cause they are just plain cool and they now are very valuable being in high demand as the major car auctions indicate. Not only that, they are trick when slammed with a custom paint job and a few extra ponies added along the way.. Love mine from GT5...

Last edited:
The samba bus is my favourite car besides the c3 corvette and the SVT raptor out of those 12 cars we will get!

The car i would want the most to drive someday in Gran Turismo would be a ~160 hp 86 caprice, just because i love caprices and i had one :lol: (though a 77 would be even prettier).

Cars dont have to be fast to be enjoyable (to me atleast)!

Back in the year of 2010, the Lord Kazunori Yamauchi blessed his children with his greatest creation: Volkswagen Typ2 (T1) SambaBus ‘62. It has been said in the great book that his vessel had been blessed with 32 horsepower and because of it’s miracalous rear engine, rear wheel drive layout possessed traction far beyond that of front-engined heretics. That day, Lord Yamauchi and all of his followers journeyed to the holy land known as Dunsfold Aerodome, where a great race had been hosted in his honour. Pleased with this, he gave the land to his followers, so that they may worship their lord in Arcade Mode.

Thus, members of The Polyphony Church Of SambaBus - also known as Sambians - continue to practice their faith to this day. Although they have been forced from their sacred land years ago, Sambians will be glad to know that they may now worship the Lord Yamauchi in the realm of Gran Turismo Sport, saving them from the temptations of the Renault Sport Mégane Gr. 4, and all other heretics who threaten them.

They are iconic and very slow, but once you have a race at that speed bumper to bumper drafting could be fun in Sport mode around Alsace village! As said the livery editor will be fun with these.

Edit: I wonder how they will cope with the big inclines and if someone taps you on braking going down will it spin out..mmm I think I might put the traction up to 5 on these races!

I enjoyed them in GT5 on the Top gear track. A few photos of that iconic race I took at the time (The graphics still don't look bad)
The Top Gear Test Track.jpg
The Top Gear Test Track_1.jpg
The Top Gear Test Track_2.jpg

Last edited:
The sambabus would be a cool livery project and would be an interesting choice for lobby racing ...BUT speaking of vans... they should bring back this little beastie...

It appeared in GT2
http://gran-turismo.wikia.com/wiki/Renault_Espace_F1

url.jpg
That espace kicks major ass!

In response to OP, the SambaBus is a very iconic vehicle in history and was a very influential part of car culture.

Because people will be making dope liveries of the mystery machine with it
I'm not doubting that there will be plenty of Mystery Machines. I probably will buy the Samba Bus on GTS just for kicks. One of the first cars I bought on the game was actually the BMW i3. I just wonder if the Bus will be Group X or N class cause as is it's too slow to race against anything but itself.

And since the Espace F1 has been mentioned in this thread I just got a bad idea: Samba Bus Group 3. They put a Beetle in there so why not?

Don't have a proper 911 GT3-R but a Raptor and a Sambabus. Any other game would get heckled like Forza. But PD is good, because quirky!!! They're unique!
The raptor is actually a preety fast car ( and not just in a straight line) . Sad to see people hating on trucks simply for being trucks. That's like, chassisim!

My issue with the Samba Bus being included is that GTS is focused on Motorsport. In a regular GT game, it fits because of the "car encyclopedia" emphasis. Seeing as GTS goes the hardcore sim racing route, I find no real reason to include such a vehicle. Some players will have fun with it due to the obscurity of racing the iconic "hippie bus". I understand that, but along with the VGT cars, it doesn't fit GTS's purpose as a product.

I'm looking forward to it, in the same way my crew on GTA used to have tractor races!
You can have huge fun racing slow vehicles.
You can also learn a LOT using slow vehicles regarding how to corner faster, and more importantly, how to carry speed through corners.
I would have prefered the T1 panel van for making liveries as there is obviously more space, but still very much looking forward to creating some.

As for the Espace F1, if you're bringing that back then you also need the Ford Supervan 1,2, and 3 (Google it if you're too young to remember it!)

While there are plenty of slow RWD cars in the game already, I'm looking forward to the samba.

I'd rather it be the 11 window kombi for the livery editor, but I can't wait to see how the sunlight and shadows move through the interior in PSVR.

I'm already wondering how I can modify my wheel stand 45 degrees for a more authentic VR experience.

To my mind its inclusion highlights the crossroads that the GT series is at and a seeming lack of focus and/or determination to have a single direction to head in.

The reason given behind the small car list and massive race car bias in GTS was that its a new direction for the GT series, with the focus being almost totally on FIA approved online racing.

That has started to gradually erode since launch with the soon to arrive off-line mode being added back in (to what degree we will need to wait and see), and the Samba Bus further highlights this. Yet without full modification available it becomes a novelty car for the occasional race and livery use.

In titles with the number of cars to pick from that GT5 and 6 had its inclusion works, in a title with the limited car count of GTS (not to mention the amount of times the cars have been recycled) it simply comes across as wasted resource to me.

It smacks of the unfocused, scattergun approach that has also brought a rally mode that is of no use in the core focus of the title, and ovals without cars built for oval racing (or the ability to tune correctly for ovals).

It smacks of wasted resource and a continued lack of focus, it will however be interesting to see those who have for the last few months argued 'New GT, new focus, we don't need the old GT' engage in gymnastics to now approve of these changes.

Putting the Sambabus in the first 12 of 50 DLC cars by March is I think a deliberate act by PD - it say they will as always continue to have esoteric and celebrate iconic vehicles. It will also get them publicity in areas that 'normal' cars would not.

We will need in my opinion to see the content of the other 50 to see what is their overall intent. When the oft quoted 500 cars was quoted I believe many of us were concerned that meant the base production version, Gr.3/4 & Gr.B versions which would mean a lot less unique vehicles.

It will be very interesting to see the proportion of such versions in the 50 DLC.

Back