Why is the Sambabus so important?

• Thread starter AJFast12
  • 251 comments
I think Scaff nailed it.

I want a '17 Ford GT, and '16 Corvette Z06, a '15 Viper TA or '16 Viper ACR. A Porsche 911 Turbo S. Performance cars I can truly enjoy.

However, my girlfriend is excited about the Samba Bus, but she's into older classic no guts, ugly styling, dinosaur type cars thanks to her Dad. Haha.

Polyphony are trying to appeal to too many people perhaps. Perhaps its also a case of accessibility. We've seen the photoscape of the garage in Japan that looks after vintage VW, and there was a Samba Bus in the photo.

From what I've just been reading about the stats, people certainly didn't buy this game to play driving in it.
I would rather porsche 356, 550 or 912 than another 911. I had to google what a chevy nova was, that thing broke my eyes.
A hard top C3 corvette was my favorite matchbox car though, so I'm looking forward to the convertible.

We don't need more super cars we have enough of them give me more classics any day most super cars become a little generic after a while with similar speed and handling. Like it has been said good drivers can drive a slow car fast.

I want the bus and am all for variety of cars. I would like more classics and would take real over concept everytime

These would be cool, mix between old and current

Mini Cooper (original of course)
Alfa GTV v6 (because I have one)
McLaren F1
Telsa model s ( because that would be cool to race)
Rx8
Alfa Gulia
Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

As I've said already, I don't mind the SambaBus being in GT Sport. Whether there's other cars I'd prefer is a different question.

That said, if they start to add Gr.4 and Gr.3 variants of the cars that are being added to the game it would make things very interesting... *cough* RX7 Gr.4 Pls *cough*

I know it's a limited car list right now, but i actually like what PD have done with the car lists (Aside from the VGT's that i hate, but that's a different story)

With the BoP and the grouping of cars, you get level playing fields and plenty of cars within those groups to choose from. It works really well.

As much as i like the new classics incoming, the Cobra we already have, the C3, the Nova, the Countach and obviously the Sambabus, i feel PD slipping back into their old ways of throwing in interesting older cars but them having little realistic competition to race against. You end up with cars that are only worth using in photo mode or as a livery platform.

Why is it being added to a online focused GT game where most cars are sporty?

You just insulted my troll cars.
MY Mira is quite mad.
qjxm.jpg

Have a gander through my old Troll Car Thread to see what fun we had with them.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/troll-car-thread.295669/

I have no idea why this is an issue. People were complaining by the lack of variety of cars before and now PD are planning to diversify the car roster it is still wrong? This car will have it purpose maybe not in Sport mode but in the upcoming GT League. A GT career mode without odd cars is not a real one. They planned this all along that's for sure.

Thing is, PD are adding ICO ic. Are. Not just from the game, but cars that changed that had an impact on the automotive world.
The FD is in, F40 is in. Now the VW.
Look at the Civic EG. A car that singlehandedly restarted modern tuning worldwide. GTS already has a Golf Beetle. Maybe a Type 1 is yet to come.

We can definitely see how fast 500 extra cars will ramp up, when PD dig into their own library of road cars.

... i feel PD slipping back into their old ways of throwing in interesting older cars but them having little realistic competition to race against. You end up with cars that are only worth using in photo mode or as a livery platform.

You nailed it with the unavailable competition, IMHO classic cars should be celebrated, don't get me wrong... the GT series gives them a chance to shine, BUT, development needs to focus on older race cars and their respective series. Imagine a BMW M1 Procar championship, a Can Am championship, Or my personal favorite the Trans Am series from the 60's and 70's!

If the above route was taken I think you'd have justification for including more classics into GT Sport on a competitive level.

The fact remains that the Sambabus is a cool little classic and as a "virtual collector" you'd be hard pressed to pass up the opportunity to put one in your virtual garage...but bring on classic car racing!... bring back my beloved '69 Z28 Race Car:drool:... and invite some of his friends!!!

I have to agree with the OP on this...... but it depends on what Gran Turismo is to YOU..... I see it as a racing game, a VW bus has no place in a racing game.... If you get your kicks out of photomode and livery editor then crack on but for me the VW bus is a waste of resources.

I have to agree with the OP on this...... but it depends on what Gran Turismo is to YOU..... I see it as a racing game, a VW bus has no place in a racing game.... If you get your kicks out of photomode and livery editor then crack on but for me the VW bus is a waste of resources.

Maybe I am old school but you can still have fun close races with classic slow cars (or buses) without all the saftey aids or tuning of grp. 4 or grp.3 race cars. It narrows the margins down to 'battle for win' racing one second apart and the best drivers win. Some of my most memorable road cars and races have been slow cars driven fast through corners. 👍

Last edited:
GT Sport is about more than racing GT3 cars. The livery and Scapes portion are a large part of the fun in the game for many and the Samba Bus is absolutely perfect for those aspects of the game. Plus a race with all hippy vans will be awesome!!

Full disclosure, *I own one in real life so I am stoked. Also, I have a brand new 2275cc engine in mine and it flies.

*Well as close to one as I'm gonna get for less than 50 grand.

Maybe I am old school but you can still have fun close races with classic slow cars (or buses) without all the saftey aids or tuning of grp4 or 3 cars. It narrows the margins down to battle like racing 1sec apart and the best drivers win. Some of my most memorable road cars and races have been slow cars driven fast through corners. 👍

I like those slow races, like you said, keeping corner speed up and slip-streaming etc makes for some fun racing. But. You end up with a field of only sambabuses or kubelwagons instead of a varying field of equally performing cars/vehicles. It's the lack of parity between these oddball, and not so oddball classics that spoils their inclusion.

In my online private racing in previous versions of GT the sporty but underpowered (at least by modern standards) car was a favorite for races (we all raced factory untuned/unmodified cars). The 240Z and the Alpine A100 are cars I am definitely missing in GTS. Here's hoping they expand the cars further.

I have no idea why this is an issue. People were complaining by the lack of variety of cars before and now PD are planning to diversify the car roster it is still wrong? This car will have it purpose maybe not in Sport mode but in the upcoming GT League. A GT career mode without odd cars is not a real one. They planned this all along that's for sure.
You can't understand why different people have different preferences and not one, homogeneus outlook on the direction the game should go? I do not recall ever using the Samba bus in career mode by the way, it was too slow out of the box and far too expensive to upgrade to make it economically viable. I also don't recall any Samba Bus career mode one make races either.

The ‘bus’ might be interesting in VR for a minute or two but that’s about it for me.

I heard there will be an update coming that will allow users to upgrade and trick out the interiors. :P

I think the inclusion of the Samba-bus is mainly aimed at those of us who spend most of their time in the livery editor or scapes.

I’m not, but to include 1 of 12 cars in the update more or less specifically for this group of people even for me doesn’t feel like a big waste, and I understand that they should also be catered to. Saying each car in GTS absolutely has to have some use in actual racing is very similar to saying PD shouldn’t have developed scapes.

> car list consists of race cars being the majority

“Where are all the oddball road cars that make Gran Turismo “Gran Turismo”?

> sambabus added in next update

“This game is so unfocused”

ok so what do we want

Very true - multiple opinions just as in real life; nothing is ever black and white.

Just to add to this how do we define "we" too here - the 278,000 GT Planet members or the already existing 2 million+ GT players (accounts) as per Milouse's statistics and the new players to come throughout the 2-3 year+ life of this game as the game further evolves.........

What matters to one group may not matter to another and PD have to balance all that somehow.......inevitably just like life some will be happy and some unhappy at different times with all the varying degrees in between.......

Maybe I am old school but you can still have fun close races with classic slow cars (or buses) without all the saftey aids or tuning of grp4 or 3 cars. It narrows the margins down to battle like racing 1sec apart and the best drivers win. Some of my most memorable road cars and races have been slow cars driven fast through corners. 👍

Yeah all true, I think a lot of that boils down to the skills of the drivers and how closely matched they are. I have EPIC close duels with my buddies even in the gr3 cars. If a player cant get the best out of a fast car and be consistent then wobbling around at "sambabus" pace will be the best way to get super close racing.

As it occurred to anyone then there might be an event for it in GT-League? I know it's PD but you never know.

GT Sport is about more than racing GT3 cars. The livery and Scapes portion are a large part of the fun in the game for many and the Samba Bus is absolutely perfect for those aspects of the game. Plus a race with all hippy vans will be awesome!!

Full disclosure, *I own one in real life so I am stoked. Also, I have a brand new 2275cc engine in mine and it flies.

*Well as close to one as I'm gonna get for less than 50 grand.

Far out, man.

Back