Why no porsche in Forza 4? - Update Porsche DLC Incoming

T10 used a sub-license issued from EA who hold full rights and have done for many years.

For whatever reason, possibly a falling or disagreement of some kind, EA chose to not let T10 use the sub license anymore.

It's obvious because EA made Shift which tried to be realistic game also.

Yup. And T10 essentially called EA a bunch of idiots and jerks in their first "Under the Hood" segment:

This kills me. While Forza Motorsport 4 will feature RUF, it will not include Porsche cars. As many of you know, since the beginning of the Forza franchise, the Porsche license has been available only through a sub-licensing deal with EA. In Forza 3, we were able to feature more than 35 different Porsche models by offering to collaborate with EA. For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again.

We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.

In our business, we stay friendly with all of the manufacturers and licensors necessary to deliver players rich and innovative automotive experiences. As you’d expect, this includes quite a few key people in Porsche circles. To make sure we tried everything, we consulted with these advocates and were happy to find they were already aware of the situation and lobbying from within on behalf of Forza 4--and, despite the result, we thank them for their efforts.

While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.

I’m very sorry for all of this. Fans shouldn’t have to think about any of this – you should just be able to drive Porsches and Ferraris in the games you love. Porsche makes wonderful cars and I’m sorry that we won’t have them in Forza 4. As I mentioned earlier, we have added three RUF cars in Forza 4. RUF is a manufacturer in their own right, not simply an aftermarket mod shop—they completely remanufacture and enhance the models that they start from, and the results are unique, incredibly fast, and the cars look great. Losing more than 35 Porsche models is a lost opportunity for Porsche fans (as well as a lost opportunity to make future Porsche fans), but I hope that Forza 4 players understand and enjoy the new makes and models that have taken their place.

They didn't call them a bunch of idiots, not directly nor essentially. They gave their reasons and explained what they/MS did with Ferrari as an example. In my book this is entirely EA's doing of locking out anyone with Porsche. I don't think EA thought Forza would be as popular as it was when they sold off sub-licenses before and trying to compete with GT5 and FM4 they apparently held back on the sub-license that T10 was able to get with all the Forza games prior.

I still want Porsche, BADLY, in both GT and Forza franchises. EA does crap with this license and puts the latest 911 in an arcadey racer that apparently flopped. I seriously hope those rumors are true that Porsche-EA license expired in December and that Porsche did not want to renew the exclusive license.

They didn't call them a bunch of idiots, not directly nor essentially. They gave their reasons and explained what they/MS did with Ferrari as an example. In my book this is entirely EA's doing of locking out anyone with Porsche. I don't think EA thought Forza would be as popular as it was when they sold off sub-licenses before and trying to compete with GT5 and FM4 they apparently held back on the sub-license that T10 was able to get with all the Forza games prior.

I still want Porsche, BADLY, in both GT and Forza franchises. EA does crap with this license and puts the latest 911 in an arcadey racer that apparently flopped. I seriously hope those rumors are true that Porsche-EA license expired in December and that Porsche did not want to renew the exclusive license.
Then Porsche would have to change its stance on how they want to market themselves. I remember earlier that they didn't want to have people drive their cars in games (possibly including EA games).

Then Porsche would have to change its stance on how they want to market themselves. I remember earlier that they didn't want to have people drive their cars in games (possibly including EA games).

I only read about the EA exclusivity deal being a 10yr thing, no links or proof just rumors of how it was, so EA had the rights to do as they pleased with the brand. Porsche is now technically owned by VAG (VW Audi Group) and I doubt that VAG wants to retain exclusivity if they can get their cars in any type of media. So lots of rumors from this 10yr EA exclusivity thing to the Porsche license ends in December 2011 to EA being the bully at the moment. I don't see why EA would block T10 (or PD, or anyone for that matter) with Porsche aside from EA being EA, as they have a history of bullying exclusivity with licenses (i.e. Madden, FIFA, etc). I have not, and will not, buy their NFS games but I'm a sucker for footy so I get a FIFA game every year and I'm hooked on BF franchise so those are the only 2 franchises I buy from them.

Last edited:
I only read about the EA exclusivity deal being a 10yr thing, no links or proof just rumors of how it was, so EA had the rights to do as they pleased with the brand. Porsche is now technically owned by VAG (VW Audi Group) and I doubt that VAG wants to retain exclusivity if they can get their cars in any type of media. So lots of rumors from this 10yr EA exclusivity thing to the Porsche license ends in December 2011 to EA being the bully at the moment. I don't see why EA would block T10 (or PD, or anyone for that matter) with Porsche aside from EA being EA, as they have a history of bullying exclusivity with licenses (i.e. Madden, FIFA, etc). I have not, and will not, buy their NFS games but I'm a sucker for footy so I get a FIFA game every year and I'm hooked on BF franchise so those are the only 2 franchises I buy from them.

I'm saying what I heard Porsche execs say as recently as 3 months ago. I could be wrong in that that would be the direction that they want to go however. The VW ownership may mean nothing as VW owned Lamborghini and it took them almost 10 years to get that marquee in GT5.

Everybody speculates but the fact is that EA didnt include Ferrari in Shift 2, why? who knows but its all down to licensing. They did include Ferrari on the first Shift (xbox only) and T10 had Porsche in FM3... this time they didnt and T10 didnt either so do the math... Shift 2 was released before FM4.

Im pretty sure that T10 didnt want to pay or concede Ferrari for a one year deal on Porsche because the exclusive EA has with Porsche ends this year... IMO

Porsche was in every Forza Motorsport game to date, increasing in content with each iteration, up until Forza 4 of course. Why now the change if it was OK before? Ferrari is supposed to be exclusive to MS platforms but GT5 has Ferraris and the last Shift game had them too (albeit on xbox platform only). The only thing I see changing is EA deciding not to allow the sub-license to T10/MS for Forza 4, and this is confirmed by T10 themselves in their statement. You also have backing of this motto by EA's own stranglehold of licenses, as mentioned just look at Madden and FIFA for perfect examples of this.

What is funny and ironic is that EA is being sued for using Bell military choppers in BF3 and EA thinks they don't need to deal with licensing:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/71880/ea-sued-for-battlefield-3-helicopter-use

I find it hilarious that EA only allows Porsches in their own games. Which, in all honesty, are mostly rubbish.
Porsche are doing themselves no favours by not appearing in the latest Forza or the GT series, and surely it should be them who has the last word and not EA?
Never mind.
Oh by the way did I mention that I no longer own a PS3 and am now an avid Xbox/Forza fan?
The reason? Bethesda delevered a criminally broken PS3 version of Skyrim.
I saw the light and upgraded to an Xbox 360. Forza beats GT hands down. In fact Forza 3 beats GT5 hands down.

Last edited:
Oh by the way did I mention that I no longer own a PS3 and am now an avid Xbox/Forza fan?
The reason? Bethesda delevered a criminally broken PS3 version of Skyrim.

Do you see a pattern here! Spec. wise the PS3 was suppose to be a powerhouse but either there is a hardware problem or developers can't justify the time to program to take advantage of the hardware. I think it is some of both.
My PS3, and others of friends, crash occasionally (some titles often) and the cross-platform titles "usually" look and run better on the Xbox - Shift 2 Unleashed (crashed all the time on PS3), F1 2011 (graphics and framerate a joke on PS3) to name a couple racing games. GT occasionally freezes also. It's too bad but something is just not right.

Tis true. I am shocked at just how better games look on the Xbox 360 compared to the PS3 equivilent. GTA4, Fallout 3, F1 2011 to name just 3.
I have found in Forza 4 games everything I was wanting in GT5, to name but a few:
1) Decent cockpit view for EVERY car
2) Decent damage modelling for EVERY car
3) Silky smooth framerate 100% of the time
4) A decent spread of cars/manufacturers from across the world, not just biased towards Japanese makers

Tis true. I am shocked at just how better games look on the Xbox 360 compared to the PS3 equivilent. GTA4, Fallout 3, F1 2011 to name just 3.
I have found in Forza 4 games everything I was wanting in GT5, to name but a few:
1) Decent cockpit view for EVERY car
2) Decent damage modelling for EVERY car
3) Silky smooth framerate 100% of the time
4) A decent spread of cars/manufacturers from across the world, not just biased towards Japanese makers

Not

5) Good sounds

???

I find it stupid that just because EA have launched a 'sim' (yeah right), they then stop Porsche's from being in any other games.

Hahaha but seriously, IMO it's bologna that they would do such a thing and it only forces PD to go at other manufacturers and make similar deals. The only ones that are effected are US the LITTLE people in the end. They will still make millions of dollars.

It was EA because they held the license exclusively. They then sub-license it out to other parties, i.e. T10. Heres a quote from Dan Greenawalt:

DAN
“In Forza 3, we were able to feature more than 35 different Porsche models by offering to collaborate with EA. For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again.”

“We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.”

Nothing to do with Porsche, purely EA. Probably the same scenario for GT5. I do believe now though the license deal with EA has ended, unless it has been renewed behind the scenes.

Back