Why such hostility towards PD?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brandon6i
  • 142 comments
  • 7,862 views
Messages
101
Messages
brandon6i
Its not like they physically slapped you in the face. We've all played games that were overhyped and/or unfinished upon release but you can't give them credit for at least trying to reach their goals after release? While in the meantime you're blasting them for things you don't understand, or know the full story about? (Car licensing issues, outside pressure to release the game, anything Sony may have nixed or demanded, just to name a few) Kaz stated it would be a work in progress, so it shouldn't be a surprise if some things are quirky.

To me its obvious that they're taking a new direction with this game, and I'd like to see where the finish line is, so to speak, before I stamp this game with a failing grade.

Please keep this thread civilized and constructive. My questions are genuine and in no way meant to be offensive. Speaking from your heart is welcome, just please use the fire extinguisher on your way in. ;)
 
Probably because they don't seem to have a clue what they're doing with this game.
 
You're right. We should be thanking them. It's rare that one sees this level of incompetence and it should be recognized and appreciated...
 
I don't get what the big deal is.

PD have patched this game up to much higher level than it was at on release, and on the way they've stopped a minority doing what should never have been possible in the first place.
 
I must have missed the memo where we decided to see how many different threads can have the same crap in them. I mean, really?
 
I don't get what the big deal is.

PD have patched this game up to much higher level than it was at on release, and on the way they've stopped a minority doing what should never have been possible in the first place.

Because after three months it's just getting to the level it should have been at when released and they're still screwing around dicking with inconsequential things like trading when they should be completing the stuff that was promised and still doesn't even exist.
 
GT5 is the only sim with great graphics IMO. I thank PD for not doing what Codemasters did and ditching the real racing fans. I also appreciate their continued commitment to a game that already turned a huge profit.

Most companies would cash in and put their efforts towards GT6 by now.
 
You're right. We should be thanking them. It's rare that one sees this level of incompetence and it should be recognized and appreciated...

:lol:
 
kdryan
Because after three months it's just getting to the level it should have been at when released and they're still screwing around dicking with inconsequential things like trading when they should be completing the stuff that was promised and still doesn't even exist.

Inconsequential things like the paint menu that you want fixed now right?
 
I never said GT5 is bad, and I never will. But we always expect a bit more like always. A couple of more things in it woud be nice though. I mean, it did take a very long time to make this game, but we should expect to much. I like this game, actually I like it a lot. And all people who complain should stop placing this game. Compare this with other PS3 simulators and then talk again.
 
Because after three months it's just getting to the level it should have been at when released and they're still screwing around dicking with inconsequential things like trading when they should be completing the stuff that was promised and still doesn't even exist.

Don't you think that whilst others are perhaps working on "new feature XYZ" another group might be refining things we already have?

Or are you saying everything should wait until one of the "promised" things (such as?) is added?

Clearly trading is not inconsequential if they spend time developing a leveling system, a money system, only for it to be rendered irrelevant as a select few with too much time to spare spend their days duplicating, and therefore devaluing, the special cars. Easy to fix, so why not.
 
I am so hostile towards them because I waited so long for this game and now it finally comes out it's nothing but grind. Having the attitude I have I expect to get to level 40 within a week and have all the cars by last Thursday. I dislike the fact that I need to put time into this game and show an ounce of skill to get anywhere, don't you? If PD had any consideration towards a person like me they would have released a version that gave me a starting credit of at least 90 million cr's and all the cars in my garage, god damn I paid £35 for this game! £35 for a game like this, it's a complete joke.
 
This is totally out of control. What may have started as legitimate criticism has turned into a self-important bashfest with everybody jumping on the bandwagon just for bashing's sake.
Interestingly enough the silent majority actually enjoys the game:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184706
But of course admitting so would result in being flamed by the mob.

Pretty fed up with what was once a great community.
 
Red-Rice
I am so hostile towards them because I waited so long for this game and now it finally comes out it's nothing but grind. Having the attitude I have I expect to get to level 40 within a week and have all the cars by last Thursday. I dislike the fact that I need to put time into this game and show an ounce of skill to get anywhere, don't you? If PD had any consideration towards a person like me they would have released a version that gave me a starting credit of at least 90 million cr's and all the cars in my garage, god damn I paid £35 for this game! £35 for a game like this, it's a complete joke.

I can't wait for some one not to see the sarcasm in this. :lol:
 
To speak from my point of view, I thank PD for always creating the best car physics, car models and graphics on console since PS1.

There never was real competition. But since PS3 is out and more and more good racing games establish on plattforms, PD seems to stop on the spot. I mean, in sense of physics and graphics, there are still not much competitors.

But PD did everything wrong, what you can do wrong, when it comes to game design. And that´s, what people are complaining about in sum, I think.
 
Among all of the blatant issues that need fixing/would be nice to see, I still haven't played anything else since it's release. That should speak volumes. There are a handful of members that complain about every detail, but continue to play regardless. That should speak volumes too.
 
I dislike the fact that I need to put time into this game and show an ounce of skill to get anywhere, don't you?

Not really, you don't. Grinding is patience-related.
 
The game is great but the events should be harder and more detailed ( Im talking about A-Spec ). I mean, limited HP use like the very first season events was just great. Now it is all so easy and you can win everything without any competition at all. I prefer to only add a turbo on my car and then do every season event. It is very exciting.
 
GT5 is the only sim with great graphics IMO. I thank PD for not doing what Codemasters did and ditching the real racing fans. I also appreciate their continued commitment to a game that already turned a huge profit.

Most companies would cash in and put their efforts towards GT6 by now.

maybe they should have, cos they havent made the game more than like 2% better with updates, if they start on GT6 now it could be ready by 2020
 
Three questions:

1) How many of you know how difficult it is to program a game like this on the PS3 system?
2) How many of you are certain that the full staff at PD are all working on one solution at a time rather than having groups or individuals taking care of different issues?
3) How many people think that solutions are going into updates as they're being finalized instead of focusing labor costs on a priorities list? (Your priorities may not match theirs anyway, so it would be just as hostile regardless.)

Listen, I understand that there are issues, but the things I want first may not be the easiest or fastest to take care of, nor do I understand how this is all being handled. I want a lot of the same things that everybody else wants, but my needs and wants are not as important as whats better for the overall enjoyment of the game.
 
Three questions:

1) How many of you know how difficult it is to program a game like this on the PS3 system?
2) How many of you are certain that the full staff at PD are all working on one solution at a time rather than having groups or individuals taking care of different issues?
3) How many people think that solutions are going into updates as they're being finalized instead of focusing labor costs on a priorities list? (Your priorities may not match theirs anyway, so it would be just as hostile regardless.)

Listen, I understand that there are issues, but the things I want first may not be the easiest or fastest to take care of, nor do I understand how this is all being handled. I want a lot of the same things that everybody else wants, but my needs and wants are not as important as whats better for the overall enjoyment of the game.

I know how hard it is and how many time it needs. But I for myself are scared about the idea, that GT6 will have the same game concept like it has now. And that would be almost the end of Gran Turismo.
 
Because after three months it's just getting to the level it should have been at when released and they're still screwing around dicking with inconsequential things like trading when they should be completing the stuff that was promised and still doesn't even exist.

It's so sad you'll stop playing GT5.
 
Its not like they physically slapped you in the face. We've all played games that were overhyped and/or unfinished upon release but you can't give them credit for at least trying to reach their goals after release?

They metaphorically did though with their promises, their advertising and then their product. It's a slap in the face to GT fans everywhere.

As for unfinished or hyped, you act like there is only one level of unifinished or on level of overyhyped and so all games in those categories shoudl be treated the same.

Truth is it's a sliding scale on the the scale of overhyped AND unfinished GT ranks really high on both.

To say we've all played other overhyped or unfinished games as some kind of excuse is like going in to a restaraunt where the waitress spits in your food, then in your face and then delivers you the wrong order and it's burned and then saying "what's the big deal? We've all been to restraunts with bad service and no one cooks perfectly 100% of the time".

I don't get what the big deal is.

PD have patched this game up to much higher level than it was at on release, and on the way they've stopped a minority doing what should never have been possible in the first place.

And they also provented the entirety from doing something they should have been able to do (and should have been able to do better ie marketplace) the whole time.

It's called cutting off the nose to spite the face...
 
They metaphorically did though with their promises, their advertising and then their product. It's a slap in the face to GT fans everywhere.

As for unfinished or hyped, you act like there is only one level of unifinished or on level of overyhyped and so all games in those categories shoudl be treated the same.

Truth is it's a sliding scale on the the scale of overhyped AND unfinished GT ranks really high on both.

To say we've all played other overhyped or unfinished games as some kind of excuse is like going in to a restaraunt where the waitress spits in your food, then in your face and then delivers you the wrong order and it's burned and then saying "what's the big deal? We've all been to restraunts with bad service and no one cooks perfectly 100% of the time".



And they also provented the entirety from doing something they should have been able to do (and should have been able to do better ie marketplace) the whole time.

It's called cutting off the nose to spite the face...

👍 100%
 
To say we've all played other overhyped or unfinished games as some kind of excuse is like going in to a restaraunt where the waitress spits in your food, then in your face and then delivers you the wrong order and it's burned and then saying "what's the big deal? We've all been to restraunts with bad service and no one cooks perfectly 100% of the time".

The funny thing is that judging by the looks of it the next day you go back knowing exactly what will happen, witness it happen and then get on your soap box screaming the word to everyone who might listen whenever you get the chance. If there isn't a chance, well, chances can always be made. When you get that out of the way and the next day arrives you go there again and have another rant spree. On the following day? Yep, you go back. There are also days when the food is exactly what was promised but hey, out comes the soap box anyway because one day last week it wasn't and some people may not have heard about it yet. Some have only heard seven times, surely one more won't hurt. Then there are times when you haven't been to there for a good couple of weeks and half the staff has changed but you remember to remind people that it used to be a horrific place and thus will always be.

Someone else might think twice about going back after that first meal. Knowingly eating horrible food day after day doesn't sound like the brightest idea to me.
 
Clearly trading is not inconsequential if they spend time developing a leveling system, a money system, only for it to be rendered irrelevant
Here's the thing:
Those things are both terrible in this game. Terrible. And that's not really open to interpretation, either.

So some enterprising players found a way to get around the stupidly linear game design, and instead of PD doing something to actually improve the game so those exploits are less appealing, they toss in an obvious rule patch in order to force players to put up with it.

as a select few with too much time to spare
You mean in comparison the ones who spend far more time doing it the "right" way (ie., driving around Indy for hours on end)?

Easy to fix, so why not.
You know what would be a far better fix, and wouldn't have the side effect of looking like you are having a tantrum because those big bad players didn't want to put up with your poor game design? Things that fix the game design.
Not things done just to spite those players, which also carries the side effect of pissing off a bunch of people who weren't even abusing the exploits.

Knowingly eating horrible food day after day doesn't sound like the brightest idea to me.
You know what is considerably worse? Knowingly eating horrible food day after day, but pretending it isn't just so you can complain about/at the people who don't like it. But I suppose that would ruin your oh-so-clever metaphor about why Devedender sucks. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
As good as the game is, it isn't great. I've been with GT since I got the japanese import of the first game and I've had all of the subsequent incarnations. I really like GT5, but i expected more than I got. The game just doesn't feel complete and there aren't enough races being the biggest problems. Perhaps there are a lot of people like me that are just a little disappointed in what PD have delivered with the released game and are delivering with the updates.
 
Back