Will Forza Horizon 4's Next Expansion Feature LEGO?

• Thread starter mustafur
  • 532 comments
Honestly, I'd just be happy if they announced a Car Pass 2.

Who wouldn't, but Turn 10 is probably already orchestrating season pass content for the next Forza title. So releasing another car pass in FH4 would seem like a disadvantage in the grander scheme of things. It's more than 40 cars (mostly new to Forza) after all.

If you squint hard enough, it's literally the picture @warp9engage has quoted, down to the reflections, pasted onto a scenery.

I doubt T10/PG/MS would simply photoshop a stock image/montage given how their previews and cover arts are usually done.

Not only that, but if you look hard enough, it appears the edge of the spoiler pokes out of the top of the thumbnail.

It’s rated E for everyone.

Feels bad, writing that essay and not saying a single thing that makes sense
Elmo's Letter Adventure is also rated E, but I doubt my dad would be caught playing it. Not taking sides, just pointing out a game's rating means squat to gaming demographics.

Elmo's Letter Adventure is also rated E, but I doubt my dad would be caught playing it. Not taking sides, just pointing out a game's rating means squat to gaming demographics.

I mean...

257BFDCF-D9A3-4719-9C23-7CFE433136CA.jpeg

I’m gonna quit while I’m ahead as to not detrail the thread

Except that this demographic ranges from what, small children, all the way to full grown adults? Or are you we just going to ignore one side of that spectrum?
!!d6c)zwB2M~$(KGrHqQOKkQEtlw9F-FVBLh(0zYrI!~~_32.JPG

3449 pcs and
$1,897.97. Right, sure does seem like something that is only meant for children. I would understand their super-cerealness if they were talking about Motorsport at least.

a game's rating means squat to gaming demographics.
Wouldn't you be taking on that an age rating on a specific toy brand mean just as little?

Last edited:
Except that this demographic ranges from what, small children, all the way to full grown adults? Or are you we just going to ignore one side of that spectrum?
!!d6c)zwB2M~$(KGrHqQOKkQEtlw9F-FVBLh(0zYrI!~~_32.JPG

3449 pcs and
$1,897.97. Right, sure does seem like something that is only meant for children. I would understand their super-cerealness if they were talking about Motorsport at least.

Wouldn't you be taking on that an age rating on a specific toy brand mean just as little?

Let's not forget the giant 16+ on the box

The amount of hyperbole with regards to a potential LEGO expansion has really just gone to unimaginable levels of absurdity.

Then again, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised considering how PG has operated with regards to FH4. It seems to have pissed off enough people that they're just letting it fly with the potential of a LEGO expansion. Rightful or not.

The amount of hyperbole with regards to a potential LEGO expansion has really just gone to unimaginable levels of absurdity.

Then again, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised considering how PG has operated with regards to FH4. It seems to have pissed off enough people that they're just letting it fly with the potential of a LEGO expansion. Rightful or not.

If you're making an expansion for FH4, and you believe in the quality of what you're making, then you just let the work speak for itself. I doubt they worry much about complaints in response to complete speculation about the fundamentals of what the expansion even is, let alone the details.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fully on-board with the expansion even though I did play with LEGO sets as a kid, but some things people are saying just isn't making too much sense to me. Plus like I've mentioned around, I always thought the Horizon series was a bit boring, so who knows, maybe this'll change my mind.

If you're making an expansion for FH4, and you believe in the quality of what you're making, then you just let the work speak for itself. I doubt they worry much about complaints in response to complete speculation about the fundamentals of what the expansion even is, let alone the details.

I guess. I'm just not expecting much considering the last time that they had a creative idea in the Hot Wheels expansion for FH3, it turned out alright in the beginning, but the problems with it really stem from problems found in the base game (Mainly, the lack of grip on the actual tracks in the faster races, plus some really hindering and honestly kind of stupid AI) and dragged it down as a result. Certainly not helped by the fact that Fortune Island wasn't really that great either, and the ideas there were basically one and done (The weather events being important basically relegated to the driveable intro)

but some things people are saying just isn't making too much sense to me.

No, it definitely doesn't. Again, I think some of this stems from how Playground has operated in the past few months with FH4 and it coming to the surface. Still, it definitely doesn't excuse the frankly bat**** things people have been trying to say in the past week or so since the speculation for the second expansion began ramping up.

I liked Fortune Island fine - I just think it was fundamentally hindered by being sectioned off as a discrete chunk of content, instead of integrated into the rest of the map and accessible to everyone. That meant not showing up in multiplayer at all, and not showing up in the weekly championships and whatnot. So basically it was a small landmass that required it's own lengthy load, with no hooks into the rest of the game, meaning you were inherently discouraged from going back to it once you had "consumed" all of the new content. I've not gone back in months myself.

And yeah, the weather knocking down trees being relegated to the intro race was lame.

Aside from that - great roads, really nice new weather, and I liked the new event types. If I could drive to it from the main map without a loading screen via a bridge or something, I'd go back often. And it's presence in the main world would enrich the main map too.

It’s rated E for everyone.

Feels bad, writing that essay and not saying a single thing that makes sense

Not as much as writing a single sentence and making even less sense!

Forza Motorsport, Project CARS, Gran Turismo Sport and Assetto Corsa are all rated E for everyone as well. Should we start adding Lego bricks to them?

Perhaps you should pay a visit to the Gran Turismo section of this forum and ask how comfortable they'd be with the idea of getting Lego cars and tracks instead of something more in line with the game's content.

instead of something more in line with the game's content.

It's an arcade racer, people need to stop looking at this game from a sim-enthusiast perspective. If the next expansion is Lego, than it will seem a bit odd, but I wouldn't call it out of place in a game where you can win an off-road race in a Koenigsegg than use the same car to jump 800 feet off a cliff without doing any serious damage.

Than there is these...

Hizzalo.jpg

FFHorizon.jpg

Now, I won't lie, the prospect of a Lego themed expansion doesn't exactly fill me with the desire to start playing regularly again, but the game also isn't called "Forza Northstar Edition".

Forza Motorsport, Project CARS, Gran Turismo Sport and Assetto Corsa are all rated E for everyone as well. Should we start adding Lego bricks to them?

Perhaps you should pay a visit to the Gran Turismo section of this forum and ask how comfortable they'd be with the idea of getting Lego cars and tracks instead of something more in line with the game's content.

Let me change my quote slightly to make you feel happier; it's rated E for everyone, and is easily much more of an arcade focused game compared to most of the big racing games on the market.

Perhaps you should pay a visit to the Gran Turismo section

I'm not trying to lose brain cells tonight, thanks.

Considering the GT side of the forum, they'd be all over it if Kaz said it was an expansion, so I don't think that's exactly a good barometer.

When Polyphony make a Open World Driving game then we can talk.

It's an arcade racer, people need to stop looking at this game from a sim-enthusiast perspective. If the next expansion is Lego, than it will seem a bit odd, but I wouldn't call it out of place in a game where you can win an off-road race in a Koenigsegg than use the same car to jump 800 feet off a cliff without doing any serious damage.

Than there is these...

View attachment 826345

View attachment 826347

Now, I won't lie, the prospect of a Lego themed expansion doesn't exactly fill me with the desire to start playing regularly again, but the game also isn't called "Forza Northstar Edition".

TDU was an arcade racer as well.

DriveClub was an arcade racer as well.

Heck, even NFS isn't this goofy!

There are a few problems with this situation.

Sure FM7 is old now but Microsoft is clearly unleashing all they got on FH4 and leaving the "serious" game aside. A car like the Apollo IE is useless in Forza Horizon. It's just too slow for S2 despite having great handling. Yet they put it in FH4 despite leaking it in an FM7 menu box which shows they considered it for FM7. And they put it behind an annoying online event.

I understand Forza Horizon is arcade, but it's still underpinned by ForzaTech so it's king in physics in this genre. There are many types of arcade racing games and it's no secret that, at least up to the release of Hot Wheels for FH3, Forza Horizon was a pretty conventional one, not least because it features real cars in real-world environments and, as said, it uses a physics and graphics engine from a simulator (Forza and GT are simulators, sorry to hurt the feelings of some). In FH4 however they added a lot of random crap that turned it into something I can't even make out what it is. Is it an RPG? Is it a racing game? Is it a vehicular combat game? Is it a story-driven game? Forza Horizon tries to be TDU, Burnout and NFS all at the same time. It fares poorly at being any of them, even though it has plenty of advantages over each when it does its own thing, which in turn is borrowed from its sibling Forza Motorsport: the driving.

Forza in general needs LOTS of "quality of life" improvements, down to the tiniest bits such as file browsing in the game. Turn 10 has been doing plenty of under the hood improvements to FM7 after abandoning the goofy things FH4 has now embraced. Playground on the other hand hasn't been doing anything worthwhile with the under the hood workings of FH4. They added online penalties to a game that doesn't need them (you said it yourself: it's not a serious racer). They added the Playlist to restrict players and boost "engagement". They added daily Forzathons which are now tied to the Playlist and feel like an attempt at preparing FH4 for the new mobile xCloud service Microsoft will introduce later this year. They added dances. They pushed FH3's trends further by locking cars and Playlist completion behind Playground Games.

All this alongside creating a worse menu, new rim paint options which broke old designs (and they'll never fix it), porting the Auction House unchanged from FH3 despite numerous complaints from people, terrible reputation system for painters which rewarded very bad designs, bad engine sounds overall (with many cars a copy of each other), track width feature which was clearly untested in cars such as the 1966 Impala, car bugs which remain since release (Lambo Countach misses its brakelight covers), unfair AI with rubberbanding, houses which serve little purpose other than unlocking perks which were more convenient to use in FH3, impossibility of turning off the game music completely without turning on streamer mode (which disables itself when you restart the game), story in the expansion (Drift Club 2.0) that felt like an ad for the Formula Drift pack rather than worthwhile content, DLC content placed to compensate for locked cars (NSX-R GT), DLC filled with cars ported over from earlier Forzas...

And more. They even dared launch a route creator tool without the ability to look at the map! (thankfully they fixed that) This month they added "Star Cards" which don't even register completion correctly. And don't get me started on the plethora of bugs in the cars added post-release...

Despite all this, everyone keeps patting Playground in the back. Which means there will be no change. With Forza Horizon further cannibalizing Forza Motorsport, the trend will continue until either a competitor appears or people simply get bored of Forza Horizon. Funnily enough, despite Turn 10 having done much to change the bad impression people got from FM7, the reaction of everyone is the opposite ("too little, too late", "bring back FM4", etc.). They're the only studio Microsoft currently has that's universally praised despite doing blunders as great as if not greater than what the other ones like 343i, The Coalition or Turn 10 do. And it's difficult to understand why.

Simply put: I'm not happy with the game. First game in years that I actually pre-ordered. And it fell short of my expectations. The good things about it are the core physics, the map and that's it. Every time I have to do something other than driving in this game, I feel disappointed. I saw quite a few content creators leaving or simply slowing down their production because they felt Playground screwed them over, whether they stated it openly or not.

Just don't take me for a Techlet. I really don't understand why people are so defensi

Last edited:
If this is true then I'm quite frankly gobsmacked. Not being funny but I have no interest in LEGO. I mean, LEGO FFS!?!? First PG decide it would be a wonderful idea to introduce new content via playlists where in order to win these cars you got to spend hours and hours playing FH4 and pray that the objectives are not DS4-destroyingly difficult. Then the next big surprise is....LEGO. Just....ace.

Very interesting to see how much attention this gets on GTPlanet. And how people are freaking out. Well, im sure this Lego thing is real and the casual crowd and gaming press will like it. I couldnt care less personally but since i bought the Ultimate edition last year, i guess i will give it a try?

Lego Speed Champion has pretty good car list like hypercar trinity and some serious race car(some GT, LMP1 cars.) at least, it's better than GTSport.
Lego Technic has good detail but not so many.

Lego Speed Champion has pretty good car list like hypercar trinity and some serious race car(some GT, LMP1 cars.)
Lego technic has good detail but not so many.

Yeah, but there is a lot going on in terms of Lego cars nowadays, a Lego racing game makes sense. If it has to be a Forza expansion is another question...

If it is indeed LEGO then I would suspect that actually building stuff needs to be a big part of the game as well.

* As far as building tracks goes. In the FH3 Hot Wheels expansion we already had building albeit it being in a limited (but still fun) way. Changing loop-de-loops for jumps or corkscrews and what not was actually really fun. That could be improved on for FH4 and in combination with the custom route creator might be a winning formula. Thinking about it, maybe the entire reason we got the custom route creator in the first place in FH4 was because Playground needed to add it with the LEGO expansion in mind anyway? ;)

* And building cars in the game should be really easy since we already have body kits to alter the looks of cars. The recently released LEGO 1967 Ford Mustang has a nice alternative build as well:

lego-creator-ford-mustang-set.jpg

to:
lego-creator-ford-mustang-set.jpg

This is 2017 all over again for me. When I first heard about a Hot Wheels expansion for FH3 I absolutely disliked it, stepping so far away from "reality". But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it and in the end the expansion was absolutely great. It's now the same with possibly LEGO for FH4 as well, it sounds silly at first but when done well (and PG sure is capable of doing that), it could be absolutely great.

Latest Posts

Back