Will GT Series ever get the option for a full Livery Creator?

• Thread starter Harsk100
  • 366 comments
That sounds like a good starting point. It's already there, in part. Miatas get stripes if you paint certain ones. Wonder how far it will go.

I don't know how it would work in GT, but in Assetto Corsa for example, each car has it's own template and has to be created separately. Of course, that's a full, from scratch, fully custom livery editor. IMO you're not likely to see that in the GT series, but more something along the lines of Grid Autosport where you can choose from a variety of paint schemes, stripes, colours, stickers etc.
Templates are in most of the racing games on PC, I remember Rfactor/Race 07/ and a lot more had template to allow you to create liveries on your helmets/race suits/cars.

It would be a great feature but in my opinion, having something like FM where you see what you're doing in real time on the car is better than having each part of the car seperate on a screen to find out later if what you did was what you really wanted to do.

However the template solution allows you to use real brands on your cars, you just have to have the logo you want and you just have to add it to your livery. And it's even easier to be accurate on both sides. (there's a symmetry option in FM though, but there's no way to know where the center is)

But if you ask me which one I would pick for GT series, I would pick FM's livery editor.

That sounds like a good starting point. It's already there, in part. Miatas get stripes if you paint certain ones. Wonder how far it will go.
I don't own a single miata on GT6 so I have no idea what it looks like I will have to go and take a look later. But if it's something like on the SRT vipers and other cars with stripes, you can't really move the stripes around or remove them or even just color them how you want? can we?

This is another issue in GT6, sometimes you get base models cars and for exemple you want to have a white car and the text will be black when you would like it to be blue/red or something else.
Or you want to paint the car with the kind of blue you like the most but the text will be black, I would love to be able to have it white or something. There are only a few blue that would allow it to be white but none of them are good enough for my taste.
Like the number plates on a white car, if you don't have a black border you can't paint the car white because the number stay black inside a white square/circle, I'd love to paint the circle/square red and have a white number in it.

@oli440 previously mentionned having the abilty to have a wider choice of colors using a paint wheel so that we could have paint finishes that would suit our tastes perfectly. This is a must if they decide to give us a livery editor, I can't make a livery with the paint chips, not enough choices.

Only specific Miatas have the stripe come up. I don't remember which, I just remember it being mentioned once. And, no, you can't pick what it is or where it will be.

I'm kind of happy that it is not possible to move the stripes on the miata because it would've been a shame to only be able to do that on that specific car, but I'm also not happy because it would have meant that they could at least add moving stripes on every cars for now.

That being said, think about the rear wing feature. You can pretty much do whatever you want with the fully customizable ones, maybe they can do the same with different shapes on the cars, who knows? I for one, certainly which we will get a livery editor.

I doubt PD would use templates as we know them, far too restricting in many senses. If they're going to do a full livery editor, it'll be free-form and procedural, extrapolating on their own methods and sticking a nice intuitive (hopefully..!) UI on top of it.

That means it could be possible to transfer liveries, and although you'd still have to tweak them, it'd probably save time. Whether PD would implement such a transfer feature is another matter.

Clearly, using templates isn't the way to go. If it's as easy to use as FM livery editor with maybe a bit more options, it'll be a blast.

Transfering liveries isn't that hard to be honest, I've done it back in FM3 and sure you had to tweak them a little, but you had groups that you've already made so it saved you a huge amount of time, you basically only had to move the group around or a little part of that group, because you could select the shapes you wanted to move and move them freely. It was awesome.

EDIT AFTER UPDATE 1.12: Did anyone notice the sliders in the new customizable parts? if only they could apply this kind of thing for the cars it'll be awesome.

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind just a basic one where you can change aspects of the current liveries.

I would just use it on the TOMS Castrol Supra and change the body color, so I can bring back the Black Castrol from GT1.
castrol_supra_by_lew_gtr-d492xfs.jpg

I still love it to this day, so much that i made the Castrol livery for BATRACER
Castrol Supra-Black1.png
Castrol Supra-Black2.png
Castrol Supra-White1.png
Castrol Supra-White2.png

I wouldnt mind just a basic one where you can change aspects of the current liveries.

I would just use it on the TOMS Castrol Supra and change the body color, so I can bring back the Black Castrol from GT1.
castrol_supra_by_lew_gtr-d492xfs.jpg

I still love it to this day, so much that i made the Castrol livery for BATRACER
View attachment 227472 View attachment 227473 View attachment 227476 View attachment 227477
In term of having something of your own, I don't think something like this would be a good option. It would basically be like what we currently have, where the only thing you can do is paint. So it'll be good for those who can't or don't want to make a replica on their own, but it'll be a massive disappointment for those who really wants to have a car that doesn't look like everyone else's.

I don't see why we can't have both options though.

In term of having something of your own, I don't think something like this would be a good option. It would basically be like what we currently have, where the only thing you can do is paint. So it'll be good for those who can't or don't want to make a replica on their own, but it'll be a massive disappointment for those who really wants to have a car that doesn't look like everyone else's.

I don't see why we can't have both options though.
The thing is that it's already possible, it just needs to be enabled and made available to players.

It's not a replacement for a livery editor, but it would certainly be a useful feature on its own.

The thing is that it's already possible, it just needs to be enabled and made available to players.

It's not a replacement for a livery editor, but it would certainly be a useful feature on its own.
I hope that it'll never be a replacement, because it's nothing close to an editor. But like I said, having both wouldn't be an issue at all. But they'll have to include some pre-made liveries to all cars for those who doesn't have the patience to spend hours making a full livery (replica or not), it'd be a nice feature.

For those with the patience of making a full livery, having this or not won't stop them from having those liveries, that's why they need to think about those without the patience too.

I think having something like what you want, should be right when you get in the livery mode, you either choose a pre-made one or you go and create your very own. It could be nice.

I hope that PD can give us an Forza-Styled's Livery Editor so we can apply our images, numbers on our cars.
THIS is something I really want to be able to do, and we'd be able to have our name on some replicas that you've made so it looks like you're an official driver, that would be awesome.

id like to see some bodykits from Tuneing companies
example: Bomex

or even wide body kits like the rocket bunny kits. :)

Body kits is the thing that we need the most when modifying cars, we don't really have many option while doing so at the moment. You don't have completely new front and rearr bumper, you can't modify each one of them individually, you can't have new mirrors on all cars, you only have one flat floor and it's not available for all cars. You can't have wider rims, we don't have roll cages for any cars. You can't color the head lights. We could have so many things to make each car our own.

They can even use a system like the customizable rear wing so you can choose how wide you want your rims and body kits.

If you don't have an image of what you want, having choices for the starting point is an excellent addition. I know I have had this problem with many things. Ie: "What would I like this to look like? I don't know..... Well, THAT looks interesting, maybe I'll use it and make it look THIS way."

I think it would be beneficial to have pre-made styles that we can make our own.

And then, if we can take other's (to an extent) and change them some, as well, it could be nice.

If you don't have an image of what you want, having choices for the starting point is an excellent addition. I know I have had this problem with many things. Ie: "What would I like this to look like? I don't know..... Well, THAT looks interesting, maybe I'll use it and make it look THIS way."

I think it would be beneficial to have pre-made styles that we can make our own.

And then, if we can take other's (to an extent) and change them some, as well, it could be nice.
It'd be cool to have pre-made liveries that were made using the livery editor so we can modify and color them as we want.

I would spend so many hours creating liveries but how things are going these days and how pd works...i doubt we'll get a livery editor at all :(

I would spend so many hours creating liveries but how things are going these days and how pd works...i doubt we'll get a livery editor at all :(
me too I would spend so many hours creating different liveries (replica and originals) but I won't be able to play it, because since yesterday my ps3 is stuck on an update. I downloaded 4.65 just fine but the installation of the update 4.65 is stuck at 99% and i tried to put it in safe mode and everything is doesn't work so I'm kind of screwed right now and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now. haha

me too I would spend so many hours creating different liveries (replica and originals) but I won't be able to play it, because since yesterday my ps3 is stuck on an update. I downloaded 4.65 just fine but the installation of the update 4.65 is stuck at 99% and i tried to put it in safe mode and everything is doesn't work so I'm kind of screwed right now and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now. haha
That happened to me as well, it got suck in a endless loop and I had to buy a new PS3. The PS3 I have right now is the 12GB model but I used the hard drive from the old PS3. It was the slim model from 2009.

Back on subject: the livery editor should be free to use and have it where standard cars can have custom liveries as well.

Last edited:
I would be happy with any kind of exterior customization. At least putting on stripes or removing them. Choosing color etc. The more the better but we always get small pieces and big feature updates are rare. For example the new feature for extra Instruments in the cockpit...I always use 3rd person camera and nerver see them :D

I would be happy with any kind of exterior customization. At least putting on stripes or removing them. Choosing color etc. The more the better but we always get small pieces and big feature updates are rare. For example the new feature for extra Instruments in the cockpit...I always use 3rd person camera and nerver see them :D
stripes and stickers.
i'd be happy just for these. btw what do you mean with extra instruments in the cockpit?more gauges? or a full rollcage?

Yeah oil pressure/temparature gauges etc. These additional stuff for the cockpit they added with the sierra time rally. Sorry if I you dont know what I mean, as you can see I am german and my english needs to be improved :-D

Last edited:
That happened to me as well, it got suck in a endless loop and I had to buy a new PS3. The PS3 I have right now is the 12GB model but I used the hard drive from the old PS3. It was the slim model from 2009.

Back on subject: the livery editor should be free to use and have it where standard cars can have custom liveries as well.
Nevermind, after 3 days of trying to finish the installation, today was the day it decided to finish installing so it's all fine now, but thanks.

Back on topic, I don't really care if standards could get a livery or not if they don't I wouldn't notice since I don't use them, BUT since I'm not selfish I don't see why applying a livery on a standard car shouldn't happen. Might as well give all cars the possibility to have liveries like in FM.

Well cockpit customization is something GT need to have, because I want to be able to pick a steering wheel mirrors, roll cages, etc... because it adds to the personnalized aspect of the game, gauges are pretty useless but it's nice to be able to add stuff to you car and paint it how you want. Now I drive in cockpit view BUT knowing that my car doesn't look like someone else's is a great feeling, when you watch replay seeing you car moving around a track is awesome, especially with a livery. I'm remembering my FM days while saying that.

Nevermind, after 3 days of trying to finish the installation, today was the day it decided to finish installing so it's all fine now, but thanks.

Back on topic, I don't really care if standards could get a livery or not if they don't I wouldn't notice since I don't use them, BUT since I'm not selfish I don't see why applying a livery on a standard car shouldn't happen. Might as well give all cars the possibility to have liveries like in FM.

Well cockpit customization is something GT need to have, because I want to be able to pick a steering wheel mirrors, roll cages, etc... because it adds to the personnalized aspect of the game, gauges are pretty useless but it's nice to be able to add stuff to you car and paint it how you want. Now I drive in cockpit view BUT knowing that my car doesn't look like someone else's is a great feeling, when you watch replay seeing you car moving around a track is awesome, especially with a livery. I'm remembering my FM days while saying that.
omg, steering wheel customization is something that never ever crossed my mind, bravo.
has someone ever played the first grid? back there the livery customization (and the sponsor thing) was just rad.

omg, steering wheel customization is something that never ever crossed my mind, bravo.
has someone ever played the first grid? back there the livery customization (and the sponsor thing) was just rad.
You should try any of the Forza Motorsports then, you can recreate any tabacco liveries because you can recreate any sponsors you want while you can't really have a control over the sponsors you put on your car and the livery itself in GRID. There's a list of premade sponsors too like BBS, and stuff like that. You can create a full livery from scratch and there are premade liveries too. It was awesome.

You should try any of the Forza Motorsports then, you can recreate any tabacco liveries because you can recreate any sponsors you want while you can't really have a control over the sponsors you put on your car and the livery itself in GRID. There's a list of premade sponsors too like BBS, and stuff like that. You can create a full livery from scratch and there are premade liveries too. It was awesome.
i bet it was, but my lack of money prevents me from owning any installation from that series even if i check out gameplays on youtube very often and i've got to say that it's a well done game.

i bet it was, but my lack of money prevents me from owning any installation from that series even if i check out gameplays on youtube very often and i've got to say that it's a well done game.
You can also check some of the paint jobs done on google image, some people reacreated recent NASCAR liveries on V8 supercars and other cars, it looks incredible.

here are some cool replica paintjobs on Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon:
NfTwrTY.jpg

14768308087_d18fc85d21_o.jpg

0.jpg

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

24vwbus1.jpg

24stingray1.jpg

12081916464_52c4a2806e_c.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-holden-2-toll-holden-racing-team-commodore-ve-by-zaraki-43-11901.jpg

You can also check some of the paint jobs done on google image, some people reacreated recent NASCAR liveries on V8 supercars and other cars, it looks incredible.

here are some cool replica paintjobs on Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon:
NfTwrTY.jpg

14768308087_d18fc85d21_o.jpg

0.jpg

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

24vwbus1.jpg

24stingray1.jpg

12081916464_52c4a2806e_c.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-holden-2-toll-holden-racing-team-commodore-ve-by-zaraki-43-11901.jpg
Dayum.

Back