Will GT Series ever get the option for a full Livery Creator?

• Thread starter Harsk100
  • 366 comments
:cheers: its going to come in the 1.12 and 1.13 updates my sources tell me
Do tell! I'm very curious what form those updates will be in. If we got a full blown Livery Editor by October, or at least a decent one, I'd be in GT6 heaven. We'd need Race Mod to return, along with a number of bodykit options for a good deal of GT6's cars, I'm hoping anyway. If we got a bunch of Base Model cars to livery up, that would be good, but I really like to roll my own cars too, Forza style, with their own aerokit styling.

Maybe that's why they're also recruiting Graphic Designers. It's something
They do need a LOT of graphic design people, as well as modelers. Besides creating new content for GT7, PD needs to begin upgrading the Standard cars and tracks to Superstandard levels. If nothing else, just giving Standard cars new skins would increase their looks tremendously.

But some of them would be very handy for working on the Livery Editor, and designing templates for various liveries, if they go the template route. And templates would be very handy for those who don't have the skills necessary to work with vinyls and create some of the amazing looking race cars seen in this thread. Hopefully PD will go that extra mile and also give us a full blown livery painter as powerful as the one in Forza, and maybe even easier to use.

Unfortunately, Decken has nothing to do with skin or livery unless it is a code word.
True, but this is precisely how it seems to be used in the files, associated with car customization elements. I doubt it has to do with the garage, especially as it has no visible roof, or customizing the roof of your cars, say with chimneys or satellite dishes. ;)

Because of this, I'm assuming with some of the others on NeoGAF that this has to do with liveries. In particular, when it says in the file list "DeckenCustomizable," I'm hoping that we'll be getting more than livery templates. But who knows? Maybe what's customizable about it are areas that can be colored as with GT5's skimpy livery templates, as well as adding the driver name text and car number to certain areas. This is entirely up to speculation, so we'll have to see.

I have a lot I want to be sick of. ;)

The PS3 is capable of some serious stuff, even as obsolete as it is. An Event Maker should be no problem. GT2 had one. Even a really big one loaded with features should be entirely doable in GT6. GT5's course Maker was limited, but it was still capable of providing some nice, somewhat challenging tracks to roar around on. Kaz is hinting it could be even better, and if they made Zahara with it, it's a lot better.

Race Mod and a Livery Editor... I come from a long association with Forza through four games, all because of the deep modification system and that Livery Editor, allowing you to create race cars till you run out of hard drive space. And now, Kaz is making deals with the global administrators of racing leagues, and contacting as many motorsports groups as he can. This has me perspiring, the chance to see things like the numerous FIA GT leagues represented in Gran Turismo in some way. And ALMS/USSC, the SCCA, DTM, Super GT, WTCC... real world leagues, fantasy leagues, user created leagues... and being able to create a race car from some car we own, and give it a unique livery we create or commission from a car artist. This has been my dream ever since GT4 came out, and I began thinking of how powerful PS3 must be, what it was capable of.

Race Mod: take a car, say a Honda Civic or Ford Focus, Nissan 300ZX or BMW M3, Toyota Supra or Oullim Spirra, Ford GT or Ferrari F430. Make it to suit the specs of an existing racing league, or make one up.

Livery Editor: paint up a car with either a laid back simple motif, or get bold with layers of vinyls. Grab a number plate from an existing league, or create one for a fantasy league of my making, like an ASIA GT. Slather it with sponsor decals and particular ones on the window banner. Put my driver name on the roof with the flag of my adopted home country in front of it.

Course Maker: deciding the league and what regions it hosts races in, pick environs that suit it and whip up some suitable tracks for it. Make a track roster including existing real world and fantasy tracks, and add in my Course Maker tracks that fit my intended league.

Event Maker: don't mess around, define a freaking racing season! 43 races and two championship events. Define points, define championship points. Select bots and cars for the field, include some from my garage with custom liveries of their own. Assign tracks, define the weather and time of day, and include a few night races. Throw in a couple of endurance events to spice things up.

Push X and begin! :D

Now, just imagine this online, with people setting up their own leagues, defining the sanctioned cars, sharing appropriate livery elements and Course Maker tracks, and so on. This is where Gran Turismo should go.

My source is a guy that is mates with a guy that gets betas for games and he has always have me real content. I can't say his name. What happened with other ones
Let's not get too hyped before we actually have these features, shall we?

Do you have any information of your source? We have had people making false claims in the past, and the results of that weren't pretty. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I just want some certainty that you aren't.

Let's not get too hyped before we actually have these features, shall we?

Do you have any information of your source? We have had people making false claims in the past, and the results of that weren't pretty. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I just want some certainty that you aren't.
My words! Have a like :)

I'm about to run off and tend to some treal life stuff, but I thought I'd reiterate something that's a little OT in the thread I was about to post in.

According to some of the German speaking members at NeoGAF, "decken" means "cover" or some variation, which in modeling terms could refer to the skin, paint, or something else. I'm hoping it means something with special significance to this thread.

The Livery Editor has always been popular with a number of gamers, but with it being the third most Liked item on the Q&A board, I'm thinking PD is finally giving this some priority. They really should, because this is a huge and quite popular element in a number of other racing games, including a certain competitor, and is a key aspect in keeping gamers involved longer into the lifecycle of the game. Because PD seems to move in increments, I have a feeling that the livery situation will be the same.
  • First we get the number plates and different number fonts in the 1.10 update.
  • Then, numbers placed on windows, perhaps a Gran Turismo windshield banner for front and back.
  • Stripes which can be colored and placed. Maybe national flags. More number plate options. More race suit and helmet options.
  • Race Mod appears with a choice of a racing team from various leagues using that car, or basic livery templates, with a range of choices for each car. Driver names can be placed with small nation flags beside them, optional name text on windows. Sponsor decals will be made available and can be sized and placed. More number plate options. More customizable race suit options.
  • Full Livery Editor finally with lots of vinyls, graphic effects like fading and transparency, a wide variety of coloring options including metallics, sponsor decals, tools for custom decals and number plate making, text fonts. Additional elements like decals made available for DLC.
Yeah, dreaming, but this is what I want. Well, the full Editor ASAP, but I'll take what I can get in the meantime.

Seeing that list after 1.10 got me excited!!! :eek::D

I'm about to run off and tend to some treal life stuff, but I thought I'd reiterate something that's a little OT in the thread I was about to post in.

According to some of the German speaking members at NeoGAF, "decken" means "cover" or some variation, which in modeling terms could refer to the skin, paint, or something else. I'm hoping it means something with special significance to this thread.

The Livery Editor has always been popular with a number of gamers, but with it being the third most Liked item on the Q&A board, I'm thinking PD is finally giving this some priority. They really should, because this is a huge and quite popular element in a number of other racing games, including a certain competitor, and is a key aspect in keeping gamers involved longer into the lifecycle of the game. Because PD seems to move in increments, I have a feeling that the livery situation will be the same.
  • First we get the number plates and different number fonts in the 1.10 update.
  • Then, numbers placed on windows, perhaps a Gran Turismo windshield banner for front and back.
  • Stripes which can be colored and placed. Maybe national flags. More number plate options. More race suit and helmet options.
  • Race Mod appears with a choice of a racing team from various leagues using that car, or basic livery templates, with a range of choices for each car. Driver names can be placed with small nation flags beside them, optional name text on windows. Sponsor decals will be made available and can be sized and placed. More number plate options. More customizable race suit options.
  • Full Livery Editor finally with lots of vinyls, graphic effects like fading and transparency, a wide variety of coloring options including metallics, sponsor decals, tools for custom decals and number plate making, text fonts. Additional elements like decals made available for DLC.
Yeah, dreaming, but this is what I want. Well, the full Editor ASAP, but I'll take what I can get in the meantime.
And we should be able to load the images from PS3 and export an blank image to Computer. Once done, we should also to be able to export our livery to PS3 through the USB and then put the livery on our cars on GT6 and then enjoy the vehicle!

Attention: I want the livery editor to be applied to every single car, including the Race Cars and the Standards.

I want the additional elements like decals made available for DLC but with one condition: I want them available for download, not for purchase!!

I really want the livery editor. (No Joking! I'm serious!) I've made some replicas in GT6 and as we have the Race Cars, I think that it will be better if we get our hands on Livery editor.

Honestly livery editor is way to big of a thing to just ask of PD anyways. It would be much more realistic to ask for livery chips, like a paint chip for a full Gulf scheme, or Martini, or what have you. But yeah, I'm surprised this thread is aloud to stand anyways, seeing that it is 100% derived from a lie.

EDIT: There we go, now that we have the title change I think it would be a good thing to be more open minded than a full on livery editor like Forza, because like I said that is probably too much to ask from PD, especially for GT6.

I don't think It's too much to ask for because It's been asked for for AWHILE, and PD have not done much to satisfy people's customization needs.

And in my opinion, adding limited customizable base schemes and paint chips don't necessarily fit most GT players needs.

I don't think It's too much to ask for because It's been asked for for AWHILE, and PD have not done much to satisfy people's customization needs.

And in my opinion, adding limited customizable base schemes and paint chips don't necessarily fit most GT players needs.
I mean they've certainly stepped it up, the numbers were a big deal. But it's still a big thing to code and update to add to game when we're asking for actual content to.

Rather than a full livery editor, I think people should be asking more livery chips. Like paint chips only with a paint scheme. Could give us Gulf colored ones, Martini colors, factory colors, a British racing scheme with the green and yellow stripe, even just a carbon fiber Chip, etc. Or maybe just provide chips with different 2-tone paint scheme and let people paint them on their own. I think that kind of thing would be much more realistic to ask for first, especially if you wanna see it in an update, but everybody is too busy shooting for the moon so nobody ever talks about that option.

I mean they've certainly stepped it up, the numbers were a big deal. But it's still a big thing to code and update to add to game when we're asking for actual content to.

Rather than a full livery editor, I think people should be asking more livery chips. Like paint chips only with a paint scheme. Could give us Gulf colored ones, Martini colors, factory colors, a British racing scheme with the green and yellow stripe, even just a carbon fiber Chip, etc. Or maybe just provide chips with different 2-tone paint scheme and let people paint them on their own. I think that kind of thing would be much more realistic to ask for first, especially if you wanna see it in an update, but everybody is too busy shooting for the moon so nobody ever talks about that option.

Yeah but I think the whole paint chip idea is linear in the first place. Also, how would this work with every car (assuming you meant that)? Most are standard and also you'd have to design the livery to fit on each car.

I think a full livery editor would only make sense as DLC or in GT7. That way in would be good for both sides as PD could make a nice profit from the many people who really want this feature.

Yeah but I think the whole paint chip idea is linear in the first place. Also, how would this work with every car (assuming you meant that)? Most are standard and also you'd have to design the livery to fit on each car.

I think a full livery editor would only make sense as DLC or in GT7. That way in would be good for both sides as PD could make a nice profit from the many people who really want this feature.
Thats why it wouldn't be called a paint chip, because its not a paint chip... it would obviously only apply to premium cars like most of the other customizing features like race number and brake calipers. PD would have to set an algorithm for the colors to appear in locations based on certain percentages of the car. It wouldn't be a far fetched idea and it would be a lot more reasonable than asking for a full on livery editor. This would also avoid the inevitable issue of people painting obscene things on their cars.

every single car, including the Race Cars and the Standards.

If you could change race cars would have a great controversy in cars with the names of their teams.
(Traducted by google translator)

Example: Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10
Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Oreca Matmut '10
Audi R18 TDI (Audi Sport Team Joest) '11
Audi R8 (Audi PlayStation Team ORECA) '05
Audi R8 LMS ultra (Audi Sport Team Phoenix) '12

Honda EPSON NSX '08
Nissan MOTUL AUTECH GT-R '08
BMW M3 GT (BMW Motorsport) '11
Toyota 2010 Kyle Busch #18 M&M'S® TOYOTA CAMRY
Toyota 2010 Denny Hamlin #11 FedEx TOYOTA CAMRY

In my opinion it would be pretty ugly watch one of these cars with a ridiculous picture of Anime or anything else.
The colors of the teams should be respected.

However, it has been stated elsewhere that 1.12 will have some bigger items. We shall see.

On this note by @Cristobal1234

If you could change race cars would have a great controversy in cars with the names of their teams.
Example: Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10
Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Oreca Matmut '10
Audi R18 TDI (Audi Sport Team Joest) '11
Audi R8 (Audi PlayStation Team ORECA) '05
Audi R8 LMS ultra (Audi Sport Team Phoenix) '12
Honda EPSON NSX '08
Nissan MOTUL AUTECH GT-R '08
BMW M3 GT (BMW Motorsport) '11
Toyota 2010 Kyle Busch #18 M&M'S® TOYOTA CAMRY
Toyota 2010 Denny Hamlin #11 FedEx TOYOTA CAMRY

In my opinion it would be pretty ugly watch one of these cars with a ridiculous picture of Anime or anything else.

I'm not worried about changing a race car. But, being able to paint ANY car..... That would be amazing!

That's a template to be precise, and I did mention that in one or two of my diatribes as possibilities. It would be easier to whip up than a full blown editor, and it would be okay, assuming we had the ability to fill in the different color sections with our own color choices. With that though, I highly suggest that PD also give us a number of primary colors to use, 32 or 64, because there are tons of reds and blues, but very few greens for instance. And all of them are manufacturer colors.

Having decals we could place, and custom number plates, not just the "Gran Turismo" plaques but those from actual leagues or those we can customize would be greatly desired. And giving us the ability to do this on existing race cars would be too. I always dislike it when I'm racing in a car owned by an established racer. As much as I like them, it feels like a loaner. I want my race car to be MY race car, livery and all. And on that point...

Forza has offered this option for some time, and it hasn't been a dreadful disaster.

One thing which should be an adequate compromise is making every race car with a Base Model blank skin. I don't want to be stuck with a race car which can't have any sort of custom livery on it whatsoever. I want that freedom to have a custom livery of my design, or to my requirements, because it should be my car. Just like every race car driver gets their own livery.

Wait... the livery editor is scheduled in GT6? I thought only GT7 was capable. Please, someone supply more information on this! :)

We don't have any info on it, but this is why we need to keep this discussion active and engaged.

PS3 had a few games with livery editors in them, such as GRID, Need For Speed and Ferrari Challenge, and they were pretty good. Even had up to 16 cars on track. Even Forza 1 on the antiquated XBox with a 733mhz Celeron processor and 10 megabytes of ram had a livery editor, and supported 8 cars on track. The PS3 is capable of handling this, and GT6 can handle at least a certain amount of this feature. Now it's just up to PD to implement it. But with the data dug up earlier in the thread that I posted of Whistle Stop's discoveries, some sort of editing beyond adding number plates is coming in an update or two.

And on that matter, I have cars in Forza to play with...

Well, I'll keep watch of this thread. This is now one of the more interesting ones.
The possibilities with a livery editor would be endless... it would certainly spice up some of the less desirable standard cars a bit.

As you say Mr D, I really hope we can do this with racing spec cars too. I can't imagine they'd be any technical difficulties in doing so.

But what about this? Rather than having base models, just implement a base model skin into each race car. The car count might drop a little, but it at least refines the list a little more. A certain type of race car would support all its different factory colours, and the base model skin, which can be freely customized.

Take Shift 2: Unleashed for instance. In that game, you could unlock a car with a pre-set livery. If you wish, you can remove this livery, and create your own from scratch. In GT6/7, we should be able to take any car with a pre-made livery, and remove it, so the cars body is just plain white.

We should be able to customize our own unique paints, with numerous sliders and choice between different paint finishes. I really liked the paint editor in Modnation Racers. It allowed you to create a truly unique paint finish, courtesy of a paint wheel, and sliders which adjust the 'shininess' or 'matteness' of the paint. The same should apply to individual parts, such as the wheels, brake calipers, and.... why not window tints? Because who doesn't want to go around with pink tinted windows? :D

Paint chips could potentially stay, but only as parameters for factory colours, or unique ones that you've saved. I would like the paint shop to be overhauled, so we can freely create our own paint finish, and the price of the paint ultimately depends on the 'ingredients' we add to it. A chrome paint is obviously going to cost a lot more than a gloss paint. Plus, why not have a selection of textured wraps? If I want my car to look like a Christmas present on wheels, so be it.

Yes... some people are going to go too far with a livery editor feature, but GT's community wont exactly be the only one to suffer. It will be more of a benefit, because it enhances player creativity, and personalizing your vehicle in racing games these days is a huge, almost routine feature. I can tell the GT community wants to be creative, because even though customization is limited in GT6, it's still quite impressive how different some cars appear to others of the same make.

For me personally, a livery editor would be fantastic, because it means I can personalize a livery for my very own racing team, and I could distribute the liveries I create to members of my 'club' so they can apply it to their own cars whenever we compete in team based racing. Our own racing team liveries would be a huge moral boost!

It doesn't matter if your car handles like a race car. If it doesn't have a matching livery , it doesn't feel like one at all. I get that a lot in GT...

(Notice how I'm putting the bold function to good use. It's all about catching the attention of the PD blokes ;) )

On a side note, do you think GT's partnership with the FIA will grant the return of more refined, World Rally Championship content? I would very much like to see the latest batch of cars, and the return of the point to point rally events from GT5.

Perhaps then, I can finally drive a WRC car with a personalized livery....

That's a template to be precise, and I did mention that in one or two of my diatribes as possibilities. It would be easier to whip up than a full blown editor, and it would be okay, assuming we had the ability to fill in the different color sections with our own color choices. With that though, I highly suggest that PD also give us a number of primary colors to use, 32 or 64, because there are tons of reds and blues, but very few greens for instance. And all of them are manufacturer colors.

Having decals we could place, and custom number plates, not just the "Gran Turismo" plaques but those from actual leagues or those we can customize would be greatly desired. And giving us the ability to do this on existing race cars would be too. I always dislike it when I'm racing in a car owned by an established racer. As much as I like them, it feels like a loaner. I want my race car to be MY race car, livery and all. And on that point...

Forza has offered this option for some time, and it hasn't been a dreadful disaster.

One thing which should be an adequate compromise is making every race car with a Base Model blank skin. I don't want to be stuck with a race car which can't have any sort of custom livery on it whatsoever. I want that freedom to have a custom livery of my design, or to my requirements, because it should be my car. Just like every race car driver gets their own livery.
Amen.

Its also my only real pet peeve in Gran Turismo, I hate it whenI'm driving a race car with a livery and a number and there are 2 or 3 other people with the identical car and number. Like the Audi R8 Ultra Team Phoenix GT3 car for example. I at least want PD to give the GT and LMPs more paint schemes like the NASCARs and Super GT cars if we can't have templates for the cars. But yeah, one of the main elements of going to a race or watching on TV is the wide variety of colors and all that on the cars. 5 people shouldn't have to drive cars that look identical.

My only gripe with this would be if I had to build a new scheme for EACH car. I don't have the time and, even if I could get good at it, don't know how to build some of these stunners.

So, if I could get ONE livery built (like my own vinyl) that I could put on any car I'm driving, I can tweak it and improve it over time. That way, it will get better with age (like fine wine ;) ) and I won't have to build it EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I feel that this option would make everyone happy.

My only gripe with this would be if I had to build a new scheme for EACH car. I don't have the time and, even if I could get good at it, don't know how to build some of these stunners.

So, if I could get ONE livery built (like my own vinyl) that I could put on any car I'm driving, I can tweak it and improve it over time. That way, it will get better with age (like fine wine ;) ) and I won't have to build it EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Probably hard to make one livery fit all cars. But maybe parts of the design. Like if you've created a nice logo it can be saved as something you can slap on as part of the design on another car. I think forza does something like that.

Hello everyone,

A livery editor is something that is really needed in GT6, at least for people who are tired of plane colored cars and really want something that is their own.

It's nice that they gave us the option to add numbers and color brake calipers and all but I still feel like this game is missing something in terms of personalisation.

I find myself quite limited with the paint chips thing quite often actually. When I race online there's a strong chance that someone will have a color fairly close to mines so I don't feel like the car is really my own in terms of looks.

I remember back in Forza 3, I used to make different liveries and I'd go online and no one would have anything remotely close to my liveries. It is the only thing I miss about Forza, the ability to create your own logos/liveries that would make your car absolutely unique.

Sometimes I looks at some car and I say to myself: "if only GT6 had livery editor, this car would look amazing!" (based on my own prefercences, it might look hideous to you haha)

About the race car thing, You could even change the rims on every race cars and make a livery on all of them, so every single cars could look like your very own and you could even make replicas with you own name and number on it, so it'd look like you were an official driver.

So to me, GT should have a livery editor that would include:

_ The ability to save the logos you've created in the editor (so you don't have to recreate them everything you want to use them). it should be an editor seperated from the car editor just like in FM.

_ The ability to have carbon fiber textures (just like in FM5 and like the Nissan VGT has).

_ Tyre brand on the side of all racing tires (even if it's always yokohama or some kind of barcode like the Toyota VGT).

_ Color every single part of the car (mirrors, hood, bumpers, etc...).

I don't know how it would work in GT, but in Assetto Corsa for example, each car has it's own template and has to be created separately. Of course, that's a full, from scratch, fully custom livery editor. IMO you're not likely to see that in the GT series, but more something along the lines of Grid Autosport where you can choose from a variety of paint schemes, stripes, colours, stickers etc.

Back