Will servers close in 2-3 years? If yes, what will our saves gonna be?

• Thread starter Odyofil
  • 45 comments
Are people paying to pretty much rent the game? How much of the game can be saved? Or is what PDI are doing, a way to build for the next version of GT?

I wouldn't call it renting, but in its current state I see your point.

The VR mode will be playable forever even in its current state. Hot lapping against your ghost will be the same.

I would put money on it that the offline GT league stuff will have an offline save prior to the servers being switched off.

People can take photos of their liveries and save them to USB before the servers get switched off.

Having a Windows operating system is renting?

Are people paying to pretty much rent the game? How much of the game can be saved? Or is what PDI are doing, a way to build for the next version of GT?
Actually in U.S. dollars if the servers were only left on for 3 years then at full retail price the game would cost you about .41 cents U.S. per week over the course of three years of unlimited usage.

Pretty good entertainment value in today's economy for the money spent.

GTS feels like a long-term investment. More so than previous instalments. Hopefully it will mean that the online stays relevant for plenty of years to come.
I think so too. More tracks and cars to come, an expanding GT League and who knows what else PD will add and tweak in the future.

GTS feels like a long-term investment. More so than previous instalments. Hopefully it will mean that the online stays relevant for plenty of years to come.
I wonder where the monetization will happen. I hope tracks will be free and cars will cost a few dollars.

The DLC pricing in GT5 was very fair, especially compared to other games.

But if they start doing crap like loot boxes, micro DLC etc., I will drop this game faster than you can say Games as a Service!

I doubt that there are DLCs of payment, I mean, it is supposed to be a competitive game, what sense does it have to divide the players? If that happens the game is dead to me

Looks like majority of DLC in the future will be free. Sony can afford to do this because GT is their biggest selling franchise. Enough people will buy it over the years that Polyphony can work from that stream of income alone as well as help from sony who would want to use this game/service to entice more people to play on PS4.

Overall its a good system, we get a constantly updated GT game instead of a new one every 2, 3 years. But the sad part is the always online sort of aspect of it.

There's an interview script somewhere out there where PD mentions that the reason for the cars and tracks taking so long to design and build is because they are building them for the next gen console (PS5) so my view is that there won't be a GT7 for a very long time and most definitely not in the next 5 years or so. I would suggest that this version of GT will be used on PS5 as is but due to the upgraded hardware a patch will be released which will enable any hardware-based visual improvements but also add features such as dynamic time and weather and maybe even something similar to PC2's Livetrack 3. So, I don't think servers will be shutting down for at least another 7 years or so TBH.

Will servers close in 2-3 years? If yes, what will our saves gonna be?

Well they added an update that allowed the majority of modes to be used offline, so what's so hard to think they can't do the same thing for the save? For what it's worth, it's not an online save is online sync, there is a save locally but the system check PD has forces the game save state to not operate without being connected to their servers for integrity sake (for obvious reasons). Although if the games' popularity increases I highly doubt in 3 years it will disappear and all of a sudden you can't use the main game, that would be ridiculous on PD's part.

They are just stopping servers for GT6, and it is just 4 years after relase, so we can see how it will go with GT Sport. BUT of course GT6 works normally without internet connection, with the obvious exception of online races and track editor. They should really remove the online-only saving in Sport, so the game is playable even when the server goes off. Is it that big a problem to check one's saved data only when attempting to race online? :banghead:

I believe some patch will make save on hdd instead of cloud.
If they don't provide Sport races anymore, why bother with the integrity of saved games?

To those into personalized liveries and so it will be worst, as the decals are server based and don't PD will not even bother with this feature, unfortunately. I made some liveries just to give some stickers to road cars I use to race, but some people really dig it and I believe we couldn't even use the ones we already made, because the console wouldn't be able to "download" the logos from the shut down servers.

The pricing, priced low to get a larger install base, and the way GT-Sport is designed, lots of content can easily be added over time, indicates a game that will live a long time with select paid DLC providing the needed income to keep it profitable over the long term. And it is very reasonable to expect the next game will be a PS5 game, (in 5-15 years time hahaha), and that game will continue the trend from GT-Sport, and THAT makes it very easy for PD to carry over every custom created livery/decal etc for cars that are in the new game. Plus it will make a lot of sense when you want the players to buy a new game.

"THAT makes it very easy for PD to carry over every custom created livery/decal etc for cars that are in the new game"
hahaha, can't figure if you are being sarcastic or just optimist...

Also, the next game will be on PS4, I believe. That's PD pace, a pair of games to each console. That way they can carry much of the work without having to code everything all over again. At this moment they are having much trouble with some things we would think should be very easy, as having a trouble free running model of Deep Forest on PS4/GTS. They will launch another title in this console generation.
Also, they launched GT6 for PS3 after PS4 already was on the shops.

2-3 years seems too short. Probably double that? By which time we will be well onto the next game and the next console, and GT Sport will be only a fond memory for many of us.

Maybe, maybe not. They killed online for GT5 pretty fast when it was time for GT6. Likewise, online for GT6 is ending in March, I believe.

Seems like you get about six months after the next game comes out, and then they'll turn it off. But it's Polyphony, so the chances of the next game coming within 3 years are very low. I'd give you good odds that you won't see another one for 4-6 years. So you'll have all that time to enjoy GTS.

Optimistic and realist i guess, and i doubt very much that there will be another GT game on the PS4, it makes much more sense for them to keep on adding content to GTS
Profit wise, makes sense to launch another title in this platform, as each console makes PD start coding all over again.
The second title in the same console would require a small fraction of coding, compared to the first and would be put to sale at the same price.

And I don't believe they could profit as much in DLC for GT Sport than on sales of another title. Worst, they could alienate more people from the series if we must buy new cars and tracks just to keep playing sport mode and FIA races.

Keep in mind also that GT5 was lauched in 2010, when PS3 was four years old already, just like GTS was lauched 4 years after PS4. And, if many believe PS5 is just around the corner, profit wise, it doesn't make sense to put out PS5 when PS4 Pro is just a year old.
True there were Gran Turismo HD and GT5 Prologue before that, but still, all paterns point to a second title in three years time.

Last edited:
I think you all forgetting one important detail. It doesn't matter if they patch the game to be able to save offline before servers shut down. The game will still be unplayable if you cannot install the patch. Like having to reinstall the game for some reason. If the servers shut down, you cannot install patches.

That's the one thing I hate about this modern age of gaming and the mentality about releasing online games only and also broken games with a fix later patch. After servers shut down, the game won't work and/or won't function properly with all the bugs and glitches.

So, enjoy your games now and know that in the future, you cannot play/enjoy them anymore, like you can with the PS2, PS1, etc...

I think you all forgetting one important detail. It doesn't matter if they patch the game to be able to save offline before servers shut down. The game will still be unplayable if you cannot install the patch. Like having to reinstall the game for some reason. If the servers shut down, you cannot install patches.

That's the one thing I hate about this modern age of gaming and the mentality about releasing online games only and also broken games with a fix later patch. After servers shut down, the game won't work and/or won't function properly with all the bugs and glitches.

So, enjoy your games now and know that in the future, you cannot play/enjoy them anymore, like you can with the PS2, PS1, etc...
Arent the updates downloaded from psn servers ?

Latest Posts

Back