Will servers close in 2-3 years? If yes, what will our saves gonna be?

• Thread starter Odyofil
  • 45 comments
"No plans for GT7", so I think it may last longer?

In a few years time, there will definitely be new Gran Turismo, be it called GT7, GT Sport 2, or something completely different. I think Yamauchi said there won't be GT7, because he tried to emphasize that Sport isn't some smaller Prologue-style title, but regular big one. My view is that Sony also wanted to drop numbering because numbers like 7 or 8 could discourage newcomers from getting into the series.

In any case maybe they could patch the game before any potential server shutdown to become the savedata offline

that game is months ago released and you ask about closing servers... ceep calm and ask that in 3 years again xD. and when it closed they have 2 options... 1. lost all Data, 2. transfer too GT7 or Gt Sport 2. And Polyphony need soooooooooo long Time for a new one, in my Opinion in the next 5 Years is that not a Question you must think about xD

Servers are so cheap now that cost of operations is not really an issue. And, most of the sys admin is scripted, so I doubt GTS would be shut down that soon.

Look what's happening to GT6. Soon to be shut down in March...

I'm going to say yes, especially if it's for the next latest title of GT.

Keep in mind also that GT5 was lauched in 2010, when PS3 was four years old already, just like GTS was lauched 4 years after PS4.

And releasing a second title on PS3 instead of going for a day one PS4 release has been widely regarded as a mistake in hindsight.

And, if many believe PS5 is just around the corner, profit wise, it doesn't make sense to put out PS5 when PS4 Pro is just a year old.

Next gen consoles are expected to be truly backwards compatible. The framework is there in the Pro and the 1X, and there's no real fancy hardware that would prevent them this time. Sony will put out a PS5 when they feel that they need to in order to combat Microsoft. MS already have substantially stronger hardware, and they may jump to the next gen early because they've kind of already lost this one. Sony almost certainly has at least a framework for PS5 on the books if they were to need to react.

True there were Gran Turismo HD and GT5 Prologue before that, but still, all paterns point to a second title in three years time.

A pattern of one is not a pattern. One could make the argument that Polyphony would be sensible, and spend the rest of the generation boosting the content in GTS while working on the engine for a Gran Turismo at launch for PS5.

2. transfer too GT7 or Gt Sport 2.

They've suggested in the past that progress between games might happen. It's never come to pass in the final release though.

OP what makes you think the servers will be switched off in that timeframe???? How long have the GT6 servers been “on” for?

As long as the game has been released + 6 months is all it gets. Same as GT5. GT5P is the only online game from Polyphony that provides an exception.

Pure corporate logic dictates that you withdraw support for older games shortly after the release of the new game in order to drive sales. To a certain extent with multiplayer games there's also the consideration that one large multiplayer pool is significantly better than two smaller multiplayer pools for things like matchmaking and queue times. So there are also legitimate gameplay reasons why you might want to force your players to consolidate their online play within one game.

And releasing a second title on PS3 instead of going for a day one PS4 release has been widely regarded as a mistake in hindsight.

It is true that GT6's sales are quite bad evet though it is much better game than GT5, but I still think Polyphony will stick to that "1 generation - 2 big GT games" approach and relase Sport 2 in a few years time.

Pure corporate logic dictates that you withdraw support for older games shortly after the release of the new game in order to drive sales.

Also, this is about driving sales not only of GT Sport, but also of PS4 and PS Plus subscription.

It is true that GT6's sales are quite bad evet though it is much better game than GT5, but I still think Polyphony will stick to that "1 generation - 2 big GT games" approach and relase Sport 2 in a few years time.

But if a few years time is right before PS5 release, would that be smart? I'd like to give Polyphony a little credit for at least being able to see what happened in the past and correct their strategy instead of blindly doing the same thing over and over.

Despite being somewhat underwhelming for a Gran Turismo game, GTS is evidence that Polyphony has become more open to varying their strategy. Perhaps this time they'll see the value in having a launch day Gran Turismo title on PS5 rather than simply sticking to "1 generation, 2 games" which has no innate advantages to it at all. It arose simply because of the timing with which early GT games were released, and to stick to a pattern that arose by accident over a considered strategy to maximise game and system sales seems a little silly.

I think Yamauchi said there won't be GT7, because he tried to emphasize that Sport isn't some smaller Prologue-style title, but regular big one.

This was what made me laugh when people tried defending GT Sport's lack of content on launch, saying 'oh it's just a Prologue title for GT7!'

Nah, dude, GT Sport IS GT7.

In reality it absolutely should've been GT7 Prologue, and I kinda wish Kaz and PD had gone that route and just been honest - release a £30 online-only game, it both acts as this great hub for esports and online play AND as a tech demo for GT7, and gives PD time to work on new cars and tracks for a full GT7 release. I appreciate not wanting to recycle models from the PS2 era yet again, and I get that it takes time. Generally the first of two GT games on any console (for e.g. GT3) is slightly smaller and focuses more on optimising the new hardware, then the second one (GT4 for example) fills out all the content.

But GT Sport feels like PD wanted to focus on a largely online-only game, then panicked when they realised it didn't have enough content or game modes for a full-price release - so now we have something which is somewhere between a Prologue game and a full GT game, without the intrigue or lowered costs of the former, nor the massive content of the latter. Releasing it in such a state and constantly adding new content each month right off the bat also gives a feeling that the game was released unfinished, in some people's eyes.

I will give PD all credit though, in the current age of AAA gaming I admire the fact they are keeping most of the new content added as free updates - a nice gesture when they could easily wall it all off behind DLC or ew, lootboxes. :yuck:

I will give PD all credit though, in the current age of AAA gaming I admire the fact they are keeping most of the new content added as free updates - a nice gesture when they could easily wall it all off behind DLC or ew, lootboxes. :yuck:

We've seen the backlash to these types of activities be pretty strong of late. Lootboxes are their own topic in themselves, but games that are obviously minimised to sell DLC are not considered much more favourably. See Destiny 1.

For the brand that it represents and the time in which it releases, Gran Turismo Sport is very light on content. That doesn't mean that it can't be a good game, but it does mean that they need to be very careful about how they release priced DLC. If they were to have another 100 cars and 20 tracks on sales as purchasable DLC in the six months post-launch, I think their customers would (probably rightly) be quite angry. It's one thing to have put out a small game that was the best you could do, it's another to have put out a minimal game and withheld content for future profit.

It's why Forza 6 and 7 having a constant stream of paid DLC packs is less of an issue. When you've already got 700 cars, it's hard to reasonably make the argument that the content that you received was insufficient for the price. When a game already has one of the smallest car and track lists of any modern racing game, it requires more care.

I think Polyphony have been very sensible in acknowledging that adding paid DLC this early in the game's lifecycle would probably kill and brand loyalty they have remaining. The game by all reports has not sold staggeringly well, despite several early sales/price drops. It's a game that's already divisive in it's gameplay and lack of content, and giving consumers and the media an excuse to point the figure for price gouging would be the last thing they need.

Back