Will we ever gonna have an open wheel racer in GT Sport?

My points are valid for all GT games though, not just GTS.

And the rest, or are you just going to ignore that?

I did not ignore your answer to why there should be only GT or Touring cars.Its your opinion,I respect and also understand that.
Its Gran Turismo.
But either way,I get your point open wheelers do not belong to the game that is all about Touring or Gran Touring cars.
So a lot of cars that they are going to add or all ready are in the game do not belong in there:karts for example.Why is it in the game?

I would love to see this as a Premium GT Sport model

And it will be great for one make racing:

And with livery editor we would have full Formula 1 line-up anyway :D

maxresdefault.jpg

They could even have two specs, one like this kinda based on the mid 00's and a modern looking version with hybrid powered engines

There is already another game out there that does Formula cars better than GT Sport could probably hope too.

True, but the non 2017 car modes are limited, you can't make custom liveries and the online in F1 2017 is a total mess

Last edited:
@daan Since Gran Turismo has evolved to something far beyond your control since GT1 and GT2, you should go back and redesign your game. For crying out loud, you had 1200+ cars in the 6th iteration of your game and now you only have around 150, most of those are two time variants of the road car. Come on dude, you copped out! And then there is your lack of tracks, WTF DUDE!!!

For the same reason the other "slow" cars are there. It's an entry into motorsport.

But its....Gran Turismo..Karts do not belong in it.There are also GT cars (Ginetta Junior for example) that are entry to the motorsports that fits better for the reason you point out.

But its....Gran Turismo..Karts do not belong in it.There are also GT cars (Ginetta Junior for example) that are entry to the motorsports that fits better for the reason you point out.

Karts have more of a place in GT than Rally cars/stages do... if not for the mere fact that the Karting is enjoyable and somewhat based on reality..

Quite a few people enter Ginetta Jr from Karts? People don't generally enter straight into motorsport at Ginetta Jr level without any prior motorsport experience.

Don't really see Karts being an issue really.

Karts have more of a place in GT than Rally cars/stages do... if not for the mere fact that the Karting is enjoyable and somewhat based on reality..

If open wheel cars have no place in GTS because they are out of the Touring theme,then Karts or Rally do not either.Thats my point.

Quite a few people enter Ginetta Jr from Karts? People don't generally enter straight into motorsport at Ginetta Jr level without any prior motorsport experience.

Don't really see Karts being an issue really.

There are people (AM) that have zero kart experience yet they race in GT3 races -example-.Whats your point?
Again if an open wheel car does not belong in GTS because its Gran Tourismo then many other cars dont either because of the same reason (Kart-Rally-you name it).We agree or not?

Hope not. Open wheel, single seaters is not what Gran Turismo is about.
Maybe in the real world, but in this franchise words mean nothing ( real driving simulator, really? ) moon buggy? ( ok that simply should never have existed ). Gran Turismo the game is not about GT's like a rally game is about Rally cars.

If open wheel cars have no place in GTS because they are out of the Touring theme,then Karts or Rally do not either.Thats my point.

There are people (AM) that have zero kart experience yet they race in GT3 races -example-.Whats your point?
Again if an open wheel car does not belong in GTS because its Gran Tourismo then many other cars dont either because of the same reason (Kart-Rally-you name it).We agree or not?

I think this falls into the category of does it really matter whether Karts are in it....

I'm not mentioning GTS. I don't know why you keep mentioning it. I'm talking about GT in general, and why single seat, open wheel, formula cars should not be in it. In my view , of course.

Perhaps I should have said "Formula" cars. Is that better?

Grand Touring cars were road cars designed to cross continents in luxury, comfort and speed. It then became a class of racing car, GT1, GT3 etc. Those are the type of cars that should be in Gran Turismo, and cars that allow you to work up to them. I'll give you LMP/GrpC as those race/raced against GT cars.

In my opinion, GT should be about road cars, GT1/2/3/4/5 cars, Touring cars (DTM/Supertouring) and, as I said, I'll give you LMPs.

Formula cars do not fit in the Gran Turismo ethos, and if they are so important to it as some think, why did it take until game 3 for them to make an appearance?

Daan, your argument is irrational. By that same type of reasoning a teenager should always remain a teenager. And racing on tracks should never have been permitted. The ethos of GT has always been to include as many types of four wheel motorsport as possible. It has always been inclusive and not exclusive. Furthermore, how does it injure you if those cars are included? You don't have to drive them. Americans like NASCAR, which I don't understand, but should that be excluded because it wasn't in GT3? It fits by your definition coming from road cars but it wasn't in GT3 so it should be excluded. Please try to think about what you have said

I'm not mentioning GTS. I don't know why you keep mentioning it. I'm talking about GT in general, and why single seat, open wheel, formula cars should not be in it. In my view , of course.

Perhaps I should have said "Formula" cars. Is that better?

Grand Touring cars were road cars designed to cross continents in luxury, comfort and speed. It then became a class of racing car, GT1, GT3 etc. Those are the type of cars that should be in Gran Turismo, and cars that allow you to work up to them. I'll give you LMP/GrpC as those race/raced against GT cars.

In my opinion, GT should be about road cars, GT1/2/3/4/5 cars, Touring cars (DTM/Supertouring) and, as I said, I'll give you LMPs.

Formula cars do not fit in the Gran Turismo ethos, and if they are so important to it as some think, why did it take until game 3 for them to make an appearance?

You make a fair point (sorry I missed your comment at first). But for me Gran Turismo, the name isn't what defines the game. For me the essences of a GT game is being able to to race your actual car around Monza or what have you and being able to then tune and tweak your actual car into a proper racing car.

That said, GT has always included actual racing cars into the mix too, so it only makes sense for it to encompass as many kinds of disciplines as possible.
I think it's also unfair to say that if Formula car's can't have been that important as they didn't arrive until GT3 as GT3 was the first GT game on a PS2, a second generation 3D console. (The original 3D consoles breaking graphics ground over the previous 2D type consoles).

I think this falls into the category of does it really matter whether Karts are in it....

I really dont understand what you say.
But I am quoting you post to write this:if open wheel cars -in general- do not fit in GT (or GTS) how does a kart fit that same game (or series) when it is actually an open wheel racer?

I really dont understand what you say.
But I am quoting you post to write this:if open wheel cars -in general- do not fit in GT (or GTS) how does a kart fit that same game (or series) when it is actually an open wheel racer?

Because karts are the first step for pretty much everyone in motorsport?

Maybe not necessarily an open wheel but I think sonner or later we will also see RedBull Race car from GT5/GT6...

I dont get this logic.
Open wheel racers do not belong to GT.
Kart are open wheel "racers".
They dot belong to GT but the do at the same time.......

dialing this back a bit.

Why does it matter? Who cares if a Kart is it it?

is the fact a Kart is in it ruining your enjoyment of the game?

This seems to be your default response. The point stands that it doesn't really matter although i do admire your passion for such a trivial issue.

Ok.I'll play.
There is an opinion that open wheel cars do not belong into GTS.And I am only asking if this is true then why do we have karts.

U all seem to forget that GT Sport is a game in the 1st place, no matter what it is called. And claiming some types of vehicles don't belong in the game, because the game is called Gran Turismo, is ******** too.

And I would love to see some openwheel racers, and ghaving races with them.

GT=Gran Turismo = Grand Touring
That's true of the name but if we're going to be pedantic, let's limit the game to only Grand Tourers (or cars branded as such).

You'd have no Karts or Rally cars to start with.
No hot hatchbacks (unless they're branded as a GT)
No mid engine supercars (apart from those branded as GT3 etc)
No LMP cars (they are prototypes, not strictly 'GT' cars)
No small sports cars (GT86 excluded due to its name) and so on

Even more extreme, if you only limit it to traditionally defined GT cars you'd only have a few big, front engine rear wheel drive cars to pick from!

GT has always been about racing lots of different cars around various circuits.
If it's got wheels, an engine and you can race it around a track, I don't see any reason not to have it in a GT game.

Forza has truck racing, I don't think open wheelers are as big a stretch as that for GT

For the same reason the other "slow" cars are there. It's an entry into motorsport.

Why is there a car powered by a freaking laser then.

Rhetorical question by the way. You're wrong. GT games doesn't mean just GT cars, it's been a celebration of every type of car for a long time.

Daan, your argument is irrational.
No, my opinion isn't irrational.

Furthermore, how does it injure you if those cars are included? You don't have to drive them.
It doesn't. I never stated it did. And I don't drive drive them (unless forced.)

Americans like NASCAR, which I don't understand, but should that be excluded because it wasn't in GT3? It fits by your definition coming from road cars but it wasn't in GT3 so it should be excluded. Please try to think about what you have said
I do not understand what you're saying here, as I didn't say that anything not in GT (the game) by GT3 (also the game) should be excluded.

However, GT2 had this.

300px-GT2-TaurusR-JP.png

You're wrong.

No, my opinion isn't wrong.

No, my opinion isn't irrational.

It doesn't. I never stated it did. And I don't drive drive them (unless forced.)

I do not understand what you're saying here, as I didn't say that anything not in GT (the game) by GT3 (also the game) should be excluded.

However, GT2 had this.

300px-GT2-TaurusR-JP.png

No, my opinion isn't wrong.

I would love to throw you a rope since you're a fellow Scotsman... but you're opinion is contrary to what PD has been doing for years, which is one of the great things about the game.

So while everyone is entitled to their opinion, not every opinion is correct.

Best I can do, good luck.

We are not going to see an F1 due to licence issues (propably).They could add an open wheel type of car though (fiction or other like an Indy car -example-).
But the game needs a better track selection before adding cars imho.

It does, but Polyphony Digital clearly do not agree

Latest Posts

Back