Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
I still only have one issue and that is the touchpad scrolling without having to press the button. I don't know what could of caused it but slowly trying to work on it.

My laptop has gone from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit. It's quite an old laptop with 4Gb of RAM and an early i5 processor with old dedicated Geforce graphics but I removed the factory 650Gb hard drive when it failed and installed a 250Gb SSD in its place. Despite all this, all the device drivers all work perfectly, I have no unknown devices, my SD card reader and IR remote all work and the thing boots in to Windows really quickly.

Same success with my gaming PC. It's still fairly new (i5 4670k) but it has an old Sound Blaster Live! 16 Bit sound card in it which is only used for Simvibe and I was worried about the drivers for that not working. Needn't have worried, it's all perfect. It also has a 250Gb SSD in it and it boots in to Windows about the same speed as the laptop, mainly because the bios screen stays up longer on the gaming PC.

Now that I've tidied up the start menu and desktop the way I like them and found a nice triple screen desktop I really like Windows10. I wish the triple screen support of Windows was better than it is, but Windows 8.1 was no better.

I need some help, I've literally just installed Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 on an Alienware Lap Top, My knowledge of computers starts with the "on" button and is immediately followed by Google, Youtube, GTP and some other safe forums, however, I installed W10 before going to work, turned it off, then have now just turned it back on, once it first got up and running I had a message promt saying "the following etc etc etc has been "something" if you click cancel etc will happen, if you click return etc will happen, to cancel this close the box, before I could fully read it the window went away and now my screen is ultra magnified, to the point where everything is so distorted black text looks almost transparent, how do I fix this?

EDIT: Have you tried turning it off and then on again??? :dunce: fixed!

Last edited:
Everyone! Uninstall Avast. There is something going on caused by Avast causing critical errors in Windows 10. You will get a message saying "Cortana and Start Menu can not open" or something like this. There seems to be something conflicting in the software.

terminator363, that's what I did some time ago. I rarely got those Start Menu and Cortana errors ever since uninstalling AVAST. So you'll need to go with Windows Defender or some other program for your anti-virus needs.

terminator363, that's what I did some time ago. I rarely got those Start Menu and Cortana errors ever since uninstalling AVAST. So you'll need to go with Windows Defender or some other program for your anti-virus needs.
Windows defender and malware bytes for now..

That's my setup based on advice taken from other sites. Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. MBAE had some errors starting recently, but I think they've since been resolved. I don't feel as safe with Windows Defender, but it's better than nothing, especially among free anti-virus software.

So sometimes I've noticed typing in the search function, the words don't always appear and are blocked by a black overlay... It still searches, but you can't see what you're typing.

Other than that, everything is all good. A lot of the flight simulator products' support keep saying that it's not officially supported yet and some people are having a lot of trouble. Thankfully, I've been one of those who have yet to notice a single issue.

And what's also funny about that (the products) is that they act like Windows 7 pro was like the God-child from Microsoft. They need to grow up and fix the issues that more than half of the users on W10 are facing, rather than saying (we do not support it at this time).... Well, you better start now before W7 becomes obsolete..

The Lumia 950 is quite appealing as well, but just a touch too much money if only because of the current app situation.

It's liquid cooled! :lol: But yeah the app problem is still a big issue even with desktop Windows 10.

Its interesting that when MS announce a slew of new products is barley gets any attention in the media, on the news etc yet when its Apple stuff.... :rolleyes: What they unveiled is genuinely impressive and innovative. The Surface Book is everything the iPad Pro should have been.

Its interesting that when MS announce a slew of new products is barley gets any attention in the media, on the news etc yet when its Apple stuff.... :rolleyes: What they unveiled is genuinely impressive and innovative. The Surface Book is everything the iPad Pro should have been.
It's what they pay for advertising and marketing. So far, Apple has it down and by the help of word of mouth.

Oh really? Sure Microsoft gets a bit less attention than Apple but barely? No.

Many news sites reports the Microsoft event. The Surface Book gets quite an attention. It seems that Apple gets the attention down and MS up. Still not overlap but its shows.

Oh really? Sure Microsoft gets a bit less attention than Apple but barely? No.

Many news sites reports the Microsoft event. The Surface Book gets quite an attention. It seems that Apple gets the attention down and MS up. Still not overlap but its shows.

I meant in the wider non internet press, like when there is an Apple event it's on the TV news and written in newspapers etc. Online there is always people covering everything.

If it running Windows 10 pro you might be able to downgrade to Windows 8 & maybe even Windows 7

If I wasn't already planning on sinking over $1700 into a gaming laptop, I'd at least seriously consider it then. Not that I object to upgrading to 10 (probably plan on doing so sometime before said gaming laptop is purchased), but I'M NOT READY FOR CHANGE YET. I still like 8.1 as is.

If I wasn't already planning on sinking over $1700 into a gaming laptop, I'd at least seriously consider it then. Not that I object to upgrading to 10 (probably plan on doing so sometime before said gaming laptop is purchased), but I'M NOT READY FOR CHANGE YET. I still like 8.1 as is.
W10 is an upgrade. Improves the game perfomance overall. Its also supports DX 10.

I suggest upgrading it. Im not really sure about the privacy thing, but then again many internet services also suffers from security issues. Its better overall.

W10 is an upgrade. Improves the game perfomance overall. Its also supports DX 10.

I suggest upgrading it. Im not really sure about the privacy thing, but then again many internet services also suffers from security issues. Its better overall.

I fully intend to at some point with my current laptop, most likely round Christmas time. Gonna go through soon and see which games I have currently installed that may have issues with 10 first. (Sim City 4 seems most likely at this point, seeing as I haven't got it working properly with my current OS yet)

Just get the Book with the nVidia chipset and use that for gaming, pretty similar to your current budget.

Just get the Book with the nVidia chipset and use that for gaming, pretty similar to your current budget.

Only issue with that model from what I have read is you have to do something with in windows to remove the screen off the keyboard so the system can power down the GPU since the GPU is kept inside the keyboard section.
The i5 which uses the intel HD graphics should not have this issue.

But if people dont care, it would be a nice unit.

Shame it comes in silver ATM.

Would love to see an anodized black one.

I am not saying it can be downgraded, if anything I doubt it since microsoft wants to push windows 10 heavily or any new OS of theirs heavily.

But business users could always downgrade the OS

BRB, gonna open one of the myriad of businesses I have floating in my head.

This means users running Windows Vista Business, Windows 7 Professional, ect.

Vista Business users could downgrade to XP Pro
Windows 7 Pro users could downgrade to XP or vista IIRC.
Dont know if 8/8.1 pro users could downgrade though.

Shame it comes in silver ATM.

Would love to see an anodized black one.

The original Surface was anodized black and because the paint kept chipping off all of them they stopped using the coating and had them bare magnesium from that point on.

Back