Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
Just edited my post whilst you were posting that, she has solved it for now but still on windows 8...

I would suggest doing a Windows update on 8 to make sure you have all the updates available and give it a go again in a few days and see if the 10 upgrade goes through smoothly this time. Remember to back everything up before you do. Also get all the new updates for 10 as they have fixed lots of bugs in the last couple of months.

For those like me that are not in a hurry to upgrade to Windows 10 and want the constant nagging popups to disappear, I found a small program that gets rid of them. It will also let you delete Windows 10 files that were automatically downloaded. Not sure if it's ok to post the link, so if you are interested, PM me. 👍

Damn Windows update made me feel like I had a virus...

"Hi, we've updated your pc...."

Except it was Hi..

three minutes later

We updated your pc....

a few minutes later...

All your files are exactly where you left them.

Not the best way to roll out an update.

edit:

Looks like they also completely reset all of your default settings you changed. Looking to see now if UAC is still off or not..

Last edited:
It also assmunched my audio drivers that I originally had un-assmunched. So I'm pissed but I un-assmunch them again. But do not be of worries, the hero of the day "Windows-man" assmunches them back immediatelly in the background. GOD. DAMMIT.

It also assmunched my audio drivers that I originally had un-assmunched. So I'm pissed but I un-assmunch them again. But do not be of worries, the hero of the day "Windows-man" assmunches them back immediatelly in the background. GOD. DAMMIT.
lol... I have a laptop that came w/ Beats audio (didn't really care for it) speakers and their sound control panel was just horrid. Started playing games and World of Warships would sound terrible. The sound would lag, crackly, and get to the point of disgusting quality. So, I disabled it completely (Beats audio) and downloaded some generic driver. For most programs and websites like youtube for instance, I only had to turn it up to level 23 or so, but now, everything has to be at about 50-70 to be audible...

lol... I have a laptop that came w/ Beats audio (didn't really care for it) speakers and their sound control panel was just horrid. Started playing games and World of Warships would sound terrible. The sound would lag, crackly, and get to the point of disgusting quality. So, I disabled it completely (Beats audio) and downloaded some generic driver. For most programs and websites like youtube for instance, I only had to turn it up to level 23 or so, but now, everything has to be at about 50-70 to be audible...
I have a Lenovo G50-70 laptop and the problem is that I could get no sound out of the jack. I need to re-install the drivers from the Lenovo page to make it work as whatever the Windows installs on it's own is not working.

It's rather funny, By default it has this "Smart Audio" jack configuration panel and a Dolby Digital Plus one. I think at some point I had three of those at once - "Plus", "Home theather" and "Home theater plus" or whatever as it doesn't delete the previous one when updating the drivers, so I have to uninstall those first. What a bloated mess. :indiff:

I finally stopped those annoying and obnoxious popups urging me to "upgrade" to WinX. There's something called GWX Control Panel that does the job nicely.

Hey.. Um... Windows 10 is forcing my airplane mode on. It was working just swell about an hour ago, I went to eat, came back, and my laptop is in airplane mode. And I can't turn airplane mode off. It's... Stuck on. I can't turn the WiFi on either. Help. Please. :grumpy:

Only way I can think of it (quite complicated) is going into BIOS, changing your function keys to be just the F1-F12 values and not the FN value, and turn on wi-fi through control pannel....

Need more info though.

Alienware 13.

EDIT: I fixed it. Disabled 'Airplane Mode Switch Collection' under 'Human Interface Devices'.

Last edited:
They really are determined to get every internet connected PC on earth to Windows 10 aren't they! I guess it's because malware thrives because of all of those Windows XP and unpatched Vista/7 devices out there.

They really are determined to get every internet connected PC on earth to Windows 10 aren't they! I guess it's because malware thrives because of all of those Windows XP and unpatched Vista/7 devices out there.
Well, that's the thing with Win 10 -- the spyware comes pre-installed.

Gosh Windows 10 is such a resource hog, it never settles from boot and is always bashing the CPU,RAM,HDD at regular intervals. It's basically like a spyware OS constantly sending information out and downloading stuff automatically. It's always doing SOMETHING.

It's like the spammiest website you can think of.... turned into software :lol: and in addition to that I think it looks really ugly. I might roll it back to Windows 7.

I don't have any issues with Windows 10 except with the last huge update last December. Whenever I use Nvidia's DSR in games. The desktop icons will rearrange randomly after exiting the game. This annoyed me really much I don't bother arranging it anymore.

Gosh Windows 10 is such a resource hog, it never settles from boot and is always bashing the CPU,RAM,HDD at regular intervals. It's basically like a spyware OS constantly sending information out and downloading stuff automatically. It's always doing SOMETHING.

It's like the spammiest website you can think of.... turned into software :lol: and in addition to that I think it looks really ugly. I might roll it back to Windows 7.
You can turn that off you know... I can't remember where I read it, but if you find Jpegs in french how to do it that's the one..

You can turn that off you know... I can't remember where I read it, but if you find Jpegs in french how to do it that's the one..

If already turned everything I can off including automatic updates and it still constantly uses resources, I suspect there are just some things you cannot disable which still run in the background. Maybe if I disconnected from the internet it would be a good OS :lol:

I don't have any such issues, just browsing in an afternoon my CPU and RAM never fluctuate. Disks are at 0% all the time except for occasional tiny reads. You should look into what is causing any spikes for you with Resource Manager, because it's not W10 in general.

I do remember reading up a while ago about a certain windows process that was hogging up some resources, but that has either been fixed via update or myself personally. I've never had random or prolonged spikes..

I don't have any such issues, just browsing in an afternoon my CPU and RAM never fluctuate. Disks are at 0% all the time except for occasional tiny reads. You should look into what is causing any spikes for you with Resource Manager, because it's not W10 in general.

I'd second this. Plus, you can turn off pretty much all of the information sharing when you startup for the first time (or by carefully going back through your settings now) so the "Win10 spying on you" meme is getting pretty silly, and I've only seen a notification that windows updated about once a week lately. I don't think it's secretly sending out other information in the background. Are you seeing a bunch of phantom network usage in the resource monitor? I wish I had a better idea of what might be happening to cause performance issues but on my own machine I haven't seen anything like that.

Edit: Hell... I have 10 on my desktop, laptop, and a little transformer tablet that only has an Intel Atom processor and I've never seen any performance issues like the ones Robin. is describing.

Last edited:

I have been monitoring it and it will do heavy drive reads like 35%, heavy CPU and sometimes heavy RAM every 15-20 minutes for different things. The services responsible for this are system services (including System), Cortana, Windows Update (when it's checking), the stupid new memory compression system (which I think is mainly to blame for all this) and updating Apps and live tiles.

I already turned everything I could off like update P2P sharing, feedback data, auto updates etc etc.

MS Edge also is a dog, any flash based stuff and it will freak out, also with just a few tabs open it uses way to much memory, no wonder its a working progress. Just idle it's using 10% of my CPU!

My laptops fan never goes to the lowest level, its always at the 2nd. This is a fresh Win 10 upgrade on top of a fresh Win 7 install with all updates applied. There is nothing 3rd party on it. It could be that because the OS has just been installed it's doing lots of stuff and will eventually settle in a few days but so far I'm not impressed.

I have been monitoring it and it will do heavy drive reads like 35%, heavy CPU and sometimes heavy RAM every 15-20 minutes for different things. The services responsible for this are system services (including System), Cortana, Windows Update (when it's checking), the stupid new memory compression system (which I think is mainly to blame for all this) and updating Apps and live tiles.

I already turned everything I could off like update P2P sharing, feedback data, auto updates etc etc.

MS Edge also is a dog, any flash based stuff and it will freak out, also with just a few tabs open it uses way to much memory, no wonder its a working progress. Just idle it's using 10% of my CPU!

My laptops fan never goes to the lowest level, its always at the 2nd. This is a fresh Win 10 upgrade on top of a fresh Win 7 install with all updates applied. There is nothing 3rd party on it. It could be that because the OS has just been installed it's doing lots of stuff and will eventually settle in a few days but so far I'm not impressed.

Yeah I dunno what to say, I've certainly not experienced anything along those lines. I turned all the monitoring stuff off at the start and I also turned the internet bits of Cortana off, no interest in that.

Even though you started with a fresh W7 before the 10 upgrade it may have caused something funky, so if it's not too much trouble a complete format of your C:\ and fresh install of 10 might be worth looking at. Now you've completed the upgrade path it will automatically re-activate when you install.

Yeah I dunno what to say, I've certainly not experienced anything along those lines. I turned all the monitoring stuff off at the start and I also turned the internet bits of Cortana off, no interest in that.

Even though you started with a fresh W7 before the 10 upgrade it may have caused something funky, so if it's not too much trouble a complete format of your C:\ and fresh install of 10 might be worth looking at. Now you've completed the upgrade path it will automatically re-activate when you install.

I was considering reformatting, but I'll likely stay at 7 this time because there's nothing in 10 I really want irrespective of the issues I'm having.

Back