Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
Installed Windows 10 on an office machine. It took TWO hours. The only thing I learned, if you are wireless, is to set your connection as Metered. That stops W10 downloading updates cos it thinks you're paying by the megabyte. After that it just tells you updates are available.

Installed Windows 10 on an office machine. It took TWO hours. The only thing I learned, if you are wireless, is to set your connection as Metered. That stops W10 downloading updates cos it thinks you're paying by the megabyte. After that it just tells you updates are available.

Recently MS tweaked this loophole because they knew people were using it to avoid updates, now all (what they deem) critical updates will be downloaded regardless of whether the connection is metered :ouch:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/03/windows-10-updates-wont-stop-on-metered-connection/

http://www.techradar.com/news/windo...ng-essential-updates-over-metered-connections

I also wonder if M$oft will be changing the "metered" status back to "unmetered". They have a demonstrated track record of changing settings from what you'd set them to back to what they preferred. Or simply outright ignore your settings, which they've also done in the past.

Count on it, if you're running Windows.

Seems to be pretty widely agreed that it's just a matter of time before it becomes a subscription service.

I wonder if laptops and pc will be relevant by the time windows becomes a subscription service? Somebody needs to give Microsoft some competition.

I wonder if laptops and pc will be relevant by the time windows becomes a subscription service? Somebody needs to give Microsoft some competition.

They'll be relevant for a long time to come. I think tablets are about as likely to replace laptops as laptops have been to replace desktops. Sure, they've cut into the numbers but I don't see them replacing them.

As for me, by the time Microsoft goes pure subscription, I'll still have my desktops. Running Linux, of course.

Absolutely.

After being raised on Windows I am now starting to consider purchasing a Mac for the first time, OSX unlike Windows 10 is not some over bloated mess of ideas / visual styles and they have stuck to the same ethos and design layout for pretty much a decade now. It's also more reliable and easier to use and I don't really have the patience for Microsoft to use us as test bunnies. The only annoyance will be the lack of games and 3rd party programs but I feel the trade off might be worth it.

...Okay, earlier today this strange notification about a new Win 10 update called Creators Update showed up on my screen and the message continues to harass me, asking me to do the update. The question is, what the heck is it, and is it safe to do it? Any ideas?

Think of it as a service pack, fixes problems and adds functions MS does not roll out with incremental updates

...So, uh, it's safe? It's not going to bonk my laptop, is it? I mean, last two times I was forced to do "significant" OS updates a lot of my personal preferences got effed up - for instance, couldn't even connect to internet because the update messed up the auto DNS thingamajiggy. Am I going to suffer yet another bout of MS Update Headache Syndrome?!

...So, uh, it's safe? It's not going to bonk my laptop, is it? I mean, last two times I was forced to do "significant" OS updates a lot of my personal preferences got effed up - for instance, couldn't even connect to internet because the update messed up the auto DNS thingamajiggy. Am I going to suffer yet another bout of MS Update Headache Syndrome?!

There is always a risk with any update, this is why you backup important files.

But most of the time, it is a safe thing to do.

I run windows 7, but the creators update is like windows 10 service pack 2 or 3.

Since their was the anniversary update.

If you bought a low-end laptop or 2-in-1 three years ago, Microsoft may be about to cut off support for it:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-creators-update-on-some-pcs/#ftag=YHFb1d24ec

So Microsoft wanted to get us on Windows 10 in the hope that we would like it and then cut support for older computers so we have to buy a new one so it's all about the money no surprise.

Well my laptop was made in 2012 but its not low range and it still has windows 7 so I guess windows 10 will never work on my laptop. I wonder what Microsoft will do next to windows 7.

Honestly speaking though, There's only a small minority that would actually use Paint 3D. They could put Paint in the Add/Remove Features, they don't need to depreciate it from future versions of Windows.

Honestly speaking though, There's only a small minority that would actually use Paint 3D. They could put Paint in the Add/Remove Features, they don't need to depreciate it from future versions of Windows.

Only children will use it.

Latest Posts

Back