Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
W10 out of the box has always been fishy. I try not to do too much on mine outside of games and schoolwork.
Yeah, I mean I knew it would eventually change things on its own, but that doesn't explain how it could install an update today, when it's been offline all the time?

Plus I really can't even find most basic settings anymore, it seems everything is messed up. :(

PS: I just rebooted just to see, it boots up really fast again, so at least one good thing, however the fact that the menus are completely different doesn't fill me with confidence.

I've already seen a lot of stuff that shouldn't be there either like - "Kaspersky messages" (de installed Kaspersky long ago) - winamp (also de installed) - when I turn on Bluetooth it tells me my PC's name is "%1" even though it's really something like "Laptop -BxxxxGI".

I mean "%1"? What does that even mean lol?

Last edited:
Wait a minute... It just installed another "security update" but I haven't been online with it since over a week (and yes, I did anti malware scan plus windows defender scan I always do when I've been online)

Security update KB3200970 20/04/2017

How? :lol

I'm also not finding the thing were you could turn on and off which apps are allowed to "phone home"...
I had them all turned off! Any idea where this went, they removed it, didn't they?

Also the whole settings menu is different I can't find anything...!

I'm getting the feeling this whole windows thing is a scam.

Umm... This isn't the laptop I bought anymore :odd:
Yeah windoze 10 is awfull if you dont need it for gaming run away linux is so much easier to use nowadays I dual boot my machine with mint now just because I need windoze for work

Last edited:
Yeah windoze 10 is awfull if you dont need it for gaming run away linux is so much easier to use nowadays I dual boot my machine with mint now just because I need windoze for work
The thing is before the last 2 or 3 updates it was actually awesome. It somehow did exactly what I thought it should do - seriously.
But then it began with Steam not working right, slow booting, and so on... just terrible. And without me doing anything.

And yeah... I only need it for games basically, I thought I'd watch movies, listen to music and stuff, but compared to my phone media playback is really pretty bad on Windows, so I do that rarely.

Anyhow I'm still not sure what's going on, and it's really annoying because I was just getting used to it, now I have to search for everything again and it's just no fun. I also don't have time for this relearn everything every 2 months or so nonsense, you know? It should just work. But yeah...

Last edited:

The only bad thing about Windows 10 are the privacy issues. If you can find a way to adjust them or block them, W10 is not a bad OS. Then again, Windows 7 and 8.1 were fine too. I wouldn't recommend Linux unless you have older hardware or don't mind tinkering with stuff. Windows pretty much works out of the box.

For most people Linux will pretty much work straight out of the installation too. And if you encounter something that needs help, the Internet is filled with solutions.

My experience with Linux is that there is something that doesn't always work quite right. People want to boot up their computer and start using it, not sift through forums for a fix to something. Windows pretty much works right out of the box. Windows also supports the programs like iTunes, games and other odd-and-end applications people need. Linux is great, but still not better than Windows in most ways.

Last edited:
My experience with Linux is that there is something that doesn't always work quite right. People want to boot up their computer and start using it, not sift through forums for a fix to something. Windows pretty much works right out of the box. Windows also supports the programs like iTunes, games and other odd-and-end applications people need. Linux is cool, but people talk it up way too much.

People dont want to go messing with the command line as it scares the hell out of them or confuses them to no end.

Got a question, does Windows 10 really improve copying speed when copying multiple files that are 1GB to a USB drive?

Got a question, does Windows 10 really improve copying speed when copying multiple files that are 1GB to a USB drive?
I don't think it can overcome hardware limitations, but sometime - not all the time - but sometimes, I see a speed graph pop up when I am moving big files from one drive to another.

Use 64kb sectors.
The larger the sectors the faster you can write data.

But this will be a smaller increase, even more so when it comes to flash memory.

I have found that copying from the command line is much faster than copying with a file manager on both Windows and Linux.

so, upgraded to W10 while it's still free and everything went smoothly, SpeedFan needed bit of tinkering to start automatically after the boot and webcam have some issues with the drivers, but otherwise so far so good, handling of two monitors hooked-up over HDMI is much better than in W7.

I'm tempted to do a duel boot of Win 10 or Linux, but I probably won't have the money to do so at the moment. I'm more inclined to get a GeForce series 1060 or a RX 580 after the expense.

I'm tempted to do a duel boot of Win 10 or Linux, but I probably won't have the money to do so at the moment. I'm more inclined to get a GeForce series 1060 or a RX 580 after the expense.

Dont get a RX580.
If you can get an RX480 and flash the bios like many people are doing.

With the next Windows 10 update to be called the Fall Creators update, it seems they're planning a bit of a UI change..

https://arstechnica.com/information...fficially-the-microsoft-fluent-design-system/
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15615812/microsoft-fluent-design-system-project-neon-features

dev-day-project-neon.jpg

Speaking of iTunes, hell has frozen over...

iTunes and Apple Music are coming to the Windows 10 Store

I think this new found friendliness is an attempt to fight off the decline of desktop OS's by pulling together.

All Windows desperately needs now is the full suite of Google apps.

Buy one and install linux on it.

I am running linux on my old laptop ATM.

I only use my Laptop to change settings on facebook and read emails and sometimes watch Youtube videos and download music other than that it only gets used less than once a week and it just collects dust.

I don't think it can overcome hardware limitations, but sometime - not all the time - but sometimes, I see a speed graph pop up when I am moving big files from one drive to another.
Yeah, the graph thing is weird. It only seems to work when I copy something from or to usb drive, but for my phone it shows the same "loading" bar that xp already had.

That said, I don't think windows 10 improves copying speed, it's the hardware and hardware configuration mostly determining that.

My laptop has extremely slow speeds over Bluetooth for example, my old PC, my tablet and all my phones are much faster.

The moment they make the app store mandatory is when I'm done with Windows - or at least with updating it.

I just really hate ads.

I've updated my nvidia drivers yesterday and it kept showing me stupid ads for horrible games I surely didn't even want to know exist, not to mention see them. Yoka Ukulele and Mars Effect Andromeda or whatever. I freaking hate this mainstream garbage. I wish I went with AMD now tbh, their UI is so sleek and beautiful... :(

Last edited:
The moment they make the app store mandatory is when I'm done with Windows - or at least with updating it.

They are soon releasing a new Surface Laptop which ONLY allows you to install apps from the Windows Store and runs a new offshoot of Windows called 10 S. Could be a sign of things to come which is horrifying seeing as the Windows Store is by far the worst app store on the planet! The day I can't install programs from a different source or use my legacy programs I'll jump ship.

They are soon releasing a new Surface Laptop which ONLY allows you to install apps from the Windows Store and runs a new offshoot of Windows called 10 S. Could be a sign of things to come which is horrifying seeing as the Windows Store is by far the worst app store on the planet! The day I can't install programs from a different source or use my legacy programs I'll jump ship.

Microsoft has an option to upgrade to W10 Pro for free up until the end of this year, when it'll be $49.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15519464/microsoft-surface-laptop-free-windows-10-pro-upgrade

Microsoft has an option to upgrade to W10 Pro for free up until the end of this year, when it'll be $49.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15519464/microsoft-surface-laptop-free-windows-10-pro-upgrade

It's hilarious that this laptop costs $1000 and they still want to give you a stunted Windows. The free upgrade is a bit of a concession, not that 10 should cost anything anyway seeing as they gave it away to millions of people. 10 S shouldn't even be a thing, it's basically RT 2.0!

If Windows is going down this path. I might as well install Linux on another SSD in the future. All the mandatory "Windows Apps" and you can't download any other program from a different source is concerning me a lot. I don't care if people tell me to upgrade my Windows 7 to 10, but I highly doubt I will anymore.

Latest Posts

Back