Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
75 Million already? Does anyone know how Windows 7 compared to this, after it being out for four weeks? I'd be interested to know.

Windows 10 has a market share of 9% as of today. Windows 7 was on 4% after 3 weeks.

Sales reached 100 million after 6 months.
Those numbers are quite impressive. Looks like we have a Windows 7 redux on our hands here, and it wouldn't surprise me if it overtakes Windows 7 at some point in the next year or so. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Those numbers are quite impressive. Looks like we have a Windows 7 redux on our hands here, and it wouldn't surprise me if it overtakes Windows 7 at some point in the next year or so. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Isnt it obvious? Its free for Windows 7 and 8 rather than a separate, paid download.

Isnt it obvious? Its free for Windows 7 and 8 rather than a separate, paid download.
It is obvious, but I would have thought there would be more hold-outs than people just diving straight in for the upgrade. As is usually the case with new operating system releases.

It is obvious, but I would have thought there would be more hold-outs than people just diving straight in for the upgrade. As is usually the case with new operating system releases.
There's also the fact that my Win7 machine now has nagware installed on it urging me to "upgrade" to Win10. Which I have no intention of doing any time soon.

There's also the fact that my Win7 machine now has nagware installed on it urging me to "upgrade" to Win10. Which I have no intention of doing any time soon.

I have to say, both my laptop, x86 and my desktop, x64 now run Home and Pro, but for now it seems as an improvement over 7. Certainly a lot quicker on my older machines.

It may require some tinkering to have it setup the way you want but it certainly is worth it.

I would at least reserve Win10 as long as it's free.

75 Million already? Does anyone know how Windows 7 compared to this, after it being out for four weeks? I'd be interested to know.

Yeah but you have to remember Windows 7 wasn't freely given to the Windows XP and Vista users at the time so the numbers are skewed for 10. The take up with this version is probably, in the end, going to be the highest in Windows history.

EDIT - I've read your reply above. I think it's because most people will give into the upgrade prompt and just do it. If there was no prompt the uptake so early in it's cycle would be much lower.

After long, I got the Windows 10 icon in the taskbar. I reserved my upgrade, but I'll see when I decide to upgrade.

I work in an department store that sells computers, about 75% of the units that are on display are running Windows 10 due to the free automatic download.

I have to say, both my laptop, x86 and my desktop, x64 now run Home and Pro, but for now it seems as an improvement over 7. Certainly a lot quicker on my older machines.

It may require some tinkering to have it setup the way you want but it certainly is worth it.

I would at least reserve Win10 as long as it's free.
If I want a fast machine I'll stick with my linux boxen. I have some pretty serious concerns about the multitude of privacy issues popping up with Win10.

I've also heard some bittorent sites are refusing connections to win10 machines.

Yeah but you have to remember Windows 7 wasn't freely given to the Windows XP and Vista users at the time so the numbers are skewed for 10. The take up with this version is probably, in the end, going to be the highest in Windows history.

EDIT - I've read your reply above. I think it's because most people will give into the upgrade prompt and just do it. If there was no prompt the uptake so early in it's cycle would be much lower.

There's no question that if Microsoft wasn't pushing it on users, and for no (apparent) charge, the numbers wouldn't be a fraction of what they are.

Has anybody had any driver issues with Windows 10? Particularly regarding keyboard functionality. I'm on 32-bit by the way. Upgraded from Windows 7.

After 8/22 (maybe there was an update done then?) the function key (Fn) stopped working on my Acer laptop. The keys that work with the Fn key still work, like the directional arrows, but only as that.

I attempted to update the driver for the keyboard through the device manager and Windows seemed to think a Lenovo thinkpad PS/2 driver was the most appropriate, er... well it didn't fix the problem, nor did rolling the driver back to the Standard PS/2 keyboard it had before. From then on I have now also lost functionality of:
-Esc key
-The number 8 key on the number keypad on the right hand side of the keyboard.
-The forward slash also on the num keypad.
-All F(number) keys except for F1.

I had a system restore point back to 8/14/2015, it not only failed to fix the issue with the Fn key but my touchpad and mouse keys starting acting up also, so I undid the restore and now my touchpad behaves itself as before.
The official Acer site has drivers for the touchpad but nothing specific for the keyboard. I've read that installing the Acer Launch Manager fixes the Fn key issue in some cases, I did that, but the Launch Manager failed to launch (irony) after it was installed.

So far I've had no gripes with Windows 10, actually like others have mentioned it runs faster on older computers, but losing shortcuts like raising or lowering screen brightness/volume, and entering/exiting full screen is quite annoying.

Has anybody had any driver issues with Windows 10? Particularly regarding keyboard functionality. I'm on 32-bit by the way. Upgraded from Windows 7.

After 8/22 (maybe there was an update done then?) the function key (Fn) stopped working on my Acer laptop. The keys that work with the Fn key still work, like the directional arrows, but only as that.

I attempted to update the driver for the keyboard through the device manager and Windows seemed to think a Lenovo thinkpad PS/2 driver was the most appropriate, er... well it didn't fix the problem, nor did rolling the driver back to the Standard PS/2 keyboard it had before. From then on I have now also lost functionality of:
-Esc key
-The number 8 key on the number keypad on the right hand side of the keyboard.
-The forward slash also on the num keypad.
-All F(number) keys except for F1.

I had a system restore point back to 8/14/2015, it not only failed to fix the issue with the Fn key but my touchpad and mouse keys starting acting up also, so I undid the restore and now my touchpad behaves itself as before.
The official Acer site has drivers for the touchpad but nothing specific for the keyboard. I've read that installing the Acer Launch Manager fixes the Fn key issue in some cases, I did that, but the Launch Manager failed to launch (irony) after it was installed.

So far I've had no gripes with Windows 10, actually like others have mentioned it runs faster on older computers, but losing shortcuts like raising or lowering screen brightness/volume, and entering/exiting full screen is quite annoying.
I had an issue with the brightness buttons not working, but it was the graphics card driver that I rolled back and now it works fine... Never thought of messing with the keyboard driver..

I had an issue with the brightness buttons not working, but it was the graphics card driver that I rolled back and now it works fine... Never thought of messing with the keyboard driver..

I wouldn't have messed with the keyboard driver either if I had been you. In my case it's a bit more complex given how many keys are not responding.

I blogged about Windows 10 and my experiences with it so far. My thoughts were mostly positive, as was my experience with Windows 10. My thoughts remain mostly positive today.

I noted a few things that I don't really like about W10. One element that comes to mind is the rather cheesy view when you ALT+TAB. I don't like that view too much. It is still effective (which is the important part), though.

Black viper who does the tweaked services for windows has released windows 10 service tweaks.
This might disable some of the privacy issues and make it more faster.

I'm going to wait with upgrading until SP1 is released, whenever that is.

There wont be a "Service Pack" Microsoft hates the term service pack.

Microsoft just do a rapid release updates and will most likely release windows 10.1 and 10.2 and so forth.

Have you used a Surface device? Touch is amazing there.

I own a Surface Pro and Windows 10 was so utterly terrible on it I rolled back to 8.1 the same day.

There is a 131 page thread of complaints on MS's website about it in tablet mode especially on Surfaces.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/7bf4aafa-802a-4224-80d5-7a7f2e5f52ee?auth=1

I won't be upgrading again until the Metro/Modern UI is reinstated on Windows 10. Hopefully when the Surface 4 comes out they will do something about it because it's unusable IMO.

Not a big issue but downsampling is not possible anymore in windows 10.

Maybe it is possible when using a nVidia windows 10 driver.

EDIT: as I expected, I was wrong. I installed the 355.82 windows 10 driver and it is still possible to downsample.

I think windows 10 is a keeper! 👍

Last edited:
According to a few things I've read online, those who use AVAST Anti-Virus with Windows 10 may have AVAST to blame for the Start Menu and Cortana not working. If this is true, then I am unsure as to if I want to uninstall AVAST and go with Windows Defender. I used Defender before on my XP computer. I don't really feel as safe using Defender as I do with AVAST. Then too, AVAST can be somewhat of a hassle opening some programs sometimes, like when I'm testing certain programs or playing certain games.

The main point of this post was to suggest that AVAST COULD be an issue as to why the Start Menu and Cortana may not work sometimes in Windows 10. I will either uninstall AVAST or disable AVAST and allow Windows Defender and see if this helps matters. And in case you're wondering... I currently have AVAST working proper, and I am unable to use the Start Menu, Cortana (not that I use it anyways), and various W10 apps.

I don't think Ill be upgrading my gaming PC anytime soon to W10. I have it installed on my laptop and from what Ive seen there and read online so far it seem to cause a lot of issues and haven't really heard about any benefits to gaming. Maybe I'm missing something, but the cons seem to outweigh the benefits, at least for gaming.

I don't think Ill be upgrading my gaming PC anytime soon to W10. I have it installed on my laptop and from what Ive seen there and read online so far it seem to cause a lot of issues and haven't really heard about any benefits to gaming. Maybe I'm missing something, but the cons seem to outweigh the benefits, at least for gaming.

I've been using W10 since Day 1 on my gaming PC and laptop and I haven't looked back since. I find that certain games like GTA 5 and pCARS tend to run better on Windows 10, but it's most likely not measureable in terms of massive FPS gains.

The reason why the benefits of Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 aren't there is actually fairly simply. Windows 10 has made quite a lot of advertising about DX12, however there are only a few games out or in the pipeline that actually have been build with the benefits of DX12, and games like Assetto Corsa, pCARS, GTA 5 and so on are build on the DX11 engine (?) and therefore the benefits aren't there or so miniscule that it's not worth mentioning. ;)

Back