Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
I'm still on Windows 10, 1909.

I had some problems with the 20H2 version some time ago. I get this message that I have to update to 20H2 but I don't want to unless it is better now than a few months ago.

I'm still on Windows 10, 1909.

I had some problems with the 20H2 version some time ago. I get this message that I have to update to 20H2 but I don't want to unless it is better now than a few months ago.

While I do not run Win10.

It any issues with 2009 would've been fixed by now.
Were nearing 2103s release.

20H2 has killed The Teenager's college laptop, that and his college's requirement for Teams, The BloatWare That Bloats Until The World Is Bloated Into One Big Bloaty Team.

It's driving me up the bastard wall.

20H2 has killed The Teenager's college laptop, that and his college's requirement for Teams, The BloatWare That Bloats Until The World Is Bloated Into One Big Bloaty Team.

It's driving me up the bastard wall.

Any issues in particular?

Some of the bloatware can be removed with PS

Last edited:
So my system got forced to update from 1909 to 20H2 today. It's been 10 hours and it got stuck at 88% installed for the last few hours. I thought I might pause and restart it. Bad move :banghead: Now it restarts downloading from 0% again, even though my HDD still shows 23GB has been lost since this morning. Mindblowing how rubbish this OS and WU seems to get with every iteration. I'm just gonna pause this indefinitely. Can't be bothered sorting this crap out.

Now how to get that 23GB back...

I managed to avoid the forced update from 1909 to 20H2. If something like this happens, the forced update for the better or not, I always get the urge to resist, to do the opposite of what they are forcing me to do.

Nobody messes with my mind, except me, myself, and I. :mad:

Actually, I have succeeded with another (generally totally impractical) way to resist the Borg.

I have a cheap Dell that I use for work when I'm driving around, with a wimpy electron-sipping CPU that allows the battery to last all day with ease. Its access to our files is a read-only deal; files go in, and into the recycle bin later. To put the files on, I manually connect it to my home wi-fi, which is set as a metered connection (plus other kill-that-kill-that-kill-that measures), and afterward I turn off the wi-fi. The computer serves no other purpose (worth it!).

Anyway, I checked and the Dell is on version 1709. :lol: :mischievous:

Actually, I have succeeded with another (generally totally impractical) way to resist the Borg.

I have a cheap Dell that I use for work when I'm driving around, with a wimpy electron-sipping CPU that allows the battery to last all day with ease. Its access to our files is a read-only deal; files go in, and into the recycle bin later. To put the files on, I manually connect it to my home wi-fi, which is set as a metered connection (plus other kill-that-kill-that-kill-that measures), and afterward I turn off the wi-fi. The computer serves no other purpose (worth it!).

Anyway, I checked and the Dell is on version 1709. :lol: :mischievous:

Setting the WiFi to metered connection only stops the major updates.
The small hotfixes, defender definition updates still get forced

• I changed the settings to interrupt the updates until May 28, 2021
  • Choose when the next update will be installed > I chose 365 days. :lol:
  • Quality updates are interrupted for 30 days
  • I also changed some stuff in gpedit.msc
It will wake up form sleep to do those updates at 2am

powercfg -lastwake
Will confirm this if it happens.
It's still asleep.

Last edited:
  • I changed the settings to interrupt the updates until May 28, 2021
  • Choose when the next update will be installed > I chose 365 days. :lol:
  • Quality updates are interrupted for 30 days
  • I also changed some stuff in gpedit.msc
First 3 things are meaningless.
I installed windows in a VM with network disabled, I paused the updates for 365days, set the network as a metered connection.
Re-enabled network and updates started to slowly download.
This seems to just pause the installation.

GPedit stuff works though.

If there is a way to stop the forced updates or let me choose which updates I have tried it, apart from fully disabling the update ability in GPEditor(which is stupid) you cant stop windows from downloading and installing updates.
Even stupid ones like those "Flash" updates.

First 3 things are meaningless.
I installed windows in a VM with network disabled, I paused the updates for 365days, set the network as a metered connection.
Re-enabled network and updates started to slowly download.
This seems to just pause the installation.

GPedit stuff works though.

If there is a way to stop the forced updates or let me choose which updates I have tried it, apart from fully disabling the update ability in GPEditor(which is stupid) you cant stop windows from downloading and installing updates.
Even stupid ones like those "Flash" updates.
I was forced to restart the computer to update to 2H20. So I tried these things and everything was back to normal, so it must have worked even if it is meaningless according to you.

Maybe I'm going to put everything back to default and try every step at a time to see which setting does work.

EDIT: everything except the first step I mentioned in my previous post is set back to default.

Last edited:
I was forced to restart the computer to update to 2H20. So I tried these things and everything was back to normal, so it must have worked even if it is meaningless according to you.

Maybe I'm going to put everything back to default and try every step at a time to see which setting does work.

EDIT: everything except the first step I mentioned in my previous post is set back to default.

If you have the latest updates you wont get them.
Also that "Pausing" just pauses the installation, the updates still download in the background so they're ready to install.

I tested this in a VM a while back.
Installed Win10 with NIC disabled on the VM.
Paused updates and did all that crap.
Enabled the NIC.
NIC started with constant activity
Gave it one hour
Disabled NIC
Reenabled Updates
20minutes later, got a message to reboot PC to install updates.

If you have the latest updates you wont get them.
Also that "Pausing" just pauses the installation, the updates still download in the background so they're ready to install.

I tested this in a VM a while back.
Installed Win10 with NIC disabled on the VM.
Paused updates and did all that crap.
Enabled the NIC.
NIC started with constant activity
Gave it one hour
Disabled NIC
Reenabled Updates
20minutes later, got a message to reboot PC to install updates.
I have the latest 1909 updates. As long as I can stay on 1909 without a forced 2H20 update, I'm happy. I know that 1909 is not supported anymore.
So far, I haven't gotten any update message anymore.
Two reasons I don't want to update:
  1. I don't like it when I'm forced to do something I don't want to, so I instinctively resist (I also always have an instinctively fight reaction instead of a flight reaction).
  2. A few months ago I installed 2H20 and the windows explorer shortcut on my desktop always changed position and wouldn't stay where I put it. I hate that. Maybe it is fixed?

Windows 11 looks rubbish, also rather pointless, il stay on 10 as I don’t see any reason so far to change

Indeed. What has leaked is not likely to be final but so far it looks like very minor cosmetic changes and little else. Still lots of old legacy stuff that has been there since Windows 95 or earlier, still the same old Explorer that they keep saying they're replacing.

If they're going to walk back W10 being the last OS then it should have been a complete overhaul worthy of it.

If I used Twitter, I would respond with the bender clip of him saying "Lies, Lies and Slander"

If I we're to ask is the old update method back, he would not say "Yes"
To me this is the "Old" windows stuff, stuff which I like.
upload_2021-6-17_16-4-23.png

Indeed. What has leaked is not likely to be final but so far it looks like very minor cosmetic changes and little else. Still lots of old legacy stuff that has been there since Windows 95 or earlier, still the same old Explorer that they keep saying they're replacing.

If they're going to walk back W10 being the last OS then it should have been a complete overhaul worthy of it.

Are there still two control panels?

Jerome

If they go back to the old style Windows where we don't have potential system bricking major "updates" every 6 months, all will be forgiven. I seriously doubt it though. Also, why do tech companies always feel the need to pointlessly redesign UI? Just stick with what works and familiar to people.

Back