Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
Wait... If they're giving this its own number/name, then it falls into the ME/Vista/8 every-other-version-sucks sequence!

WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!!!

...Also, why do tech companies always feel the need to pointlessly redesign UI? Just stick with what works and familiar to people.
Because jobs need to be justified, and they haven't yet finished hiding everything inside an unassuming hamburger menu or some cumbersome contextual contrivance, or changing all text into inscrutable/ambiguous icons. Users can still find things! That can't be allowed.

So does there have to be a new thread? Windows... 11?!?
We don't yet have the "official" name of the OS yet. Typically once that drops a new thread will get created.

Jerome

I hope we can update for free, again.

EDIT: it's probably going to be a free upgrade.

Last edited:
It probably has to be free since they're no longer supporting Windows 10. And it'll be easier for the developers if you force people to migrate to a single OS (cough cough Android fragmentation)

It probably has to be free since they're no longer supporting Windows 10. And it'll be easier for the developers if you force people to migrate to a single OS (cough cough Android fragmentation)
Yeah, I don't recall 3.1 to 95 being free, or 95 to 98 being free, or 98 to XP, or XP to Vista or 7. Jus' sayin.'

10 being a free upgrade was a Big Deal when they announced that, and hopefully is a precedent.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't recall 3.1 to 95 being free, or 95 to 98 being free, or 98 to XP, or XP to Vista or 7. Jus' sayin.'

10 being a free upgrade was a Big Deal when they announced that, and hopefully is a precedent.
tbf we are in a completely different era from back then. Nowadays, companies are trying to get you into a closed ecosystem or getting you to subscribe into SaaS. By making the OS upgrade free, it allows the greatest amount of people to be in your ecosystem. This makes it easier to develop for and creates a bigger market to sell other Microsoft services to.

Also, if you force people to pay for the upgrade, then a large amount of people will decide not to upgrade, causing fragmentation, an issue that's been plaguing Android for a long time. This causes a lot of problems since you'll have to develop for each version.

1624302991864.png

Again, with Windows 10 losing official support in 2025 before even releasing the next version, I highly doubt they'll make you pay for it

Again, with Windows 10 losing official support in 2025 before even releasing the next version, I highly doubt they'll make you pay for it
Making it free also gives Microsoft justification to fill the OS with ads like they started doing in 10.

I love that Microsoft requires TPM 2.0 (now 1.2) and Secure Boot for W11...but doesn't tell or instruct you how to enable either of those things. :lol:

And the health check app is about as useful, only telling you that it isn't compatible. Why? 🤬 you, that's why. This is not going to be a smooth upgrade for less-than-tech-savvy end-users. Just...why not have an instructional video on the W11 landing page? You...you want people to upgrade, don't you?

LTT summary of all the announcements

There's some backend updates as well saying that the OS should have less CPU utilization. In addition, updates should be smaller and instead of two every year, there'll be one a year with longer support for each update.

Hardware Unboxed recently did a benchmark comparing 10 and 11 using the leaked build. They found basically no performance difference, but I assume the leaked build probably doesn't have the optimizations

I agree it's very strange with how they went about the system requirements. The most visible requirements (requiring 8th gen Intel or 2nd gen Ryzen and TPM 2.0) that's listed are for OEMs. The true minimum requirements for the average person are any dual core CPU and TPM 1.4 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/). Those systems that don't meet the "soft floor" will be notified during installation.

Funnily, because of the TPM requirement, TPM chips have skyrocketed in prices. However most modern systems should have TPM 1.4 already. You may just need to enable it in BIOS

On Twitter, Microsoft VP of PM announced they're supposedly going to update the Health Check App to be more informative.

Also, there were a lot of questions regarding running Android apps in Windows 11. Since it uses the Amazon App Store and Intel Bridge technology, people were wondering whether or not if we could sideload apps and if it's Intel only.

A Microsoft engineer on Twitter said that sideloading will be possible, but it's unknown how easy it'll be. Hopefully it's just double clicking on any APK

Also, AMD and ARM CPUs will be able to run Android apps, because Intel Bridge Technology is a runtime post-compiler, so it shouldn't be restricted to Intel systems.

Intel Bridge Technology is a runtime post-compiler that enables applications to run natively on x86-based devices, including running those applications on Windows.

EDIT:

The Health Check App is already updated

Apparently you can't embed more than 5 pieces of media, so here's the screenshot from the tweet

1624648445423.png

Last edited:

Also, the preview build is available to download and try out! Although, there are a few known issues listed at the bottom of the page

There are rumors that the official release is October 20th

Last edited:
I love that Microsoft requires TPM 2.0 (now 1.2) and Secure Boot for W11...but doesn't tell or instruct you how to enable either of those things. 😂

And the health check app is about as useful, only telling you that it isn't compatible. Why? 🤬 you, that's why. This is not going to be a smooth upgrade for less-than-tech-savvy end-users. Just...why not have an instructional video on the W11 landing page? You...you want people to upgrade, don't you?
I think that the health check app now tells you if the failure is related to TPM. It wouldn't surprise me if the motherboard manufacturers release BIOS updates that flick the default TPM Emulation state to On at some point in the next 6-12 months

I haven't looked, but I think I saw on Twitter people said they completely took down the Health Check App to fix it lmao

Apparently, Microsoft has been openly testing the core of Windows 11 since December 2019

Something apparently happened in one of the two last updates that has caused the "shut down" command from the windows button on the taskbar, to restart the computer. The second time I request "shut down" it does shut down properly. Researching it the only work around I could find was to go into settings and disable fast startup which then does exactly what disabling that command says, it takes forever for the computer to start up. But it does shut down the first time you ask it to. So it's your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It could have been this last 21H1 update but I'm not sure.

Something apparently happened in one of the two last updates that has caused the "shut down" command from the windows button on the taskbar, to restart the computer. The second time I request "shut down" it does shut down properly. Researching it the only work around I could find was to go into settings and disable fast startup which then does exactly what disabling that command says, it takes forever for the computer to start up. But it does shut down the first time you ask it to. So it's your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It could have been this last 21H1 update but I'm not sure.
That does seem odd.
The shutdown button should send the shutdown.exe /s /t 00 command to the kernel
For it to do a shutdown.exe /r /t 00 then a shutdown next time is odd
As for "Fast Start up"
Shutdown is not really a shutdown these days.

Shutdown implies S5 mode in the ACPI
Windows does a "Hybrid Shutdown" which is a combination of Sleep and Hibernate where you will be sent to the log in screen on start up.

That does seem odd.
The shutdown button should send the shutdown.exe /s /t 00 command to the kernel
For it to do a shutdown.exe /r /t 00 then a shutdown next time is odd
As for "Fast Start up"
Shutdown is not really a shutdown these days.

Shutdown implies S5 mode in the ACPI
Windows does a "Hybrid Shutdown" which is a combination of Sleep and Hibernate where you will be sent to the log in screen on start up.
I don't think doing a hard shutdown (holding in the power button) each time is the answer either.

I don't think doing a hard shutdown (holding in the power button) each time is the answer either.
Disabling "Fast Start Up" does a proper Shutdown, not Hybrid Shutdown.

First thing I did on my laptop was disable that Hybird Shutdown crap.

Disabling "Fast Start Up" does a proper Shutdown, not Hybrid Shutdown.

First thing I did on my laptop was disable that Hybird Shutdown crap.
I guess you have to live with one or the other. Either having to hit shutdown twice or an extra long startup procedure. At this point I'm about ready to choose the long startup because having to log back in and do shutdown again is really getting on my nerves.

I guess you have to live with one or the other. Either having to hit shutdown twice or an extra long startup procedure. At this point I'm about ready to choose the long startup because having to log back in and do shutdown again is really getting on my nerves.
Do you have an SSD? Disabling fast-startup did make my boot time a tad slower, but it's still pretty quick for me, even though I "only" have a SATA SSD.

Do you have an SSD? Disabling fast-startup did make my boot time a tad slower, but it's still pretty quick for me, even though I "only" have a SATA SSD.
I'm not sure. I think I'm a little nervous with disabling fast startup because my old laptop would sometimes take 20 minutes or more to startup after a windows update and occasionally it had to be hard rebooted. So in my head now anything taking over a few seconds to startup makes my worry if it is actually going to startup or not. 🙂

I'm not sure. I think I'm a little nervous with disabling fast startup because my old laptop would sometimes take 20 minutes or more to startup after a windows update and occasionally it had to be hard rebooted. So in my head now anything taking over a few seconds to startup makes my worry if it is actually going to startup or not. 🙂
A 20 minute boot time after a Windows Update sounds like your laptop has a regular hard drive. I highly recommend upgrading to an SSD, even the cheapest SSD will greatly outpace a hard drive for a boot drive (though you don't want to go too cheap).

Upgrading to an SSD from a regular hard drive is genuinely the biggest upgrade you can do to a computer, it makes everything so much faster (and will improve your battery life, too). Windows 10 is painful to use without an SSD, especially due to it having constant updates.

Yesterday I reinstalled my computer and it upgraded automatically to 20H2. I have nothing against this version except for the fact that the windows explorer shortcut always jumps to the top of the desktop every time I refresh/restart the computer.

I don't like that. I want this shortcut to stay where I have put it for the last, mmm, many, many years. How can I fix this?

EDIT: fixed it by using another shortcut that opens explorer as well and renamed it.

Last edited:
A 20 minute boot time after a Windows Update sounds like your laptop has a regular hard drive. I highly recommend upgrading to an SSD, even the cheapest SSD will greatly outpace a hard drive for a boot drive (though you don't want to go too cheap).

Upgrading to an SSD from a regular hard drive is genuinely the biggest upgrade you can do to a computer, it makes everything so much faster (and will improve your battery life, too). Windows 10 is painful to use without an SSD, especially due to it having constant updates.
That was when it was my only computer pre 2015 when I bought a new desktop system and the laptop was running Windows 7. Now I only use the laptop when I'm on vacation. Since then it's been upgraded to Windows 10 and it hasn't done that anymore.

Second Windows 11 developer preview has been released

There's a lot of bug fixes. There's still quite a bit of known issues so I think I'm going to wait for the next version before trying it out

Back