Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Tom
Is it me? :lol:

I've got to be honest, I agree with the dislike of this word. As I now work in the eSports/ESports/Esports (delete as applicable) indutry full-time, I get referred to as a 'caster' quite a lot and I still don't like it. I've always labelled and marketed myself as a 'commentator' and that is still what I believe I am. I understand that the principle of commentating on virtual racing is different to physical motorsport, but I don't do my job any differently because of it.
Nope. In fact, never at all. Why did you ask? I'm not sure if I even you know you in real life. :lol::lol::lol:

When I first said about that word, I was actually referring to a fictional character and not someone who I personally knew in my life. ;)

Even 'broadcaster' is better, but it makes you sound like the BBC. Is it more of an Americanism?

The only casters I know are used to move furniture around or a type of processed sugar.

I'm not entirely sure of its origin. It's entirely possible that it heralded from there though!

Quite. I'm just not a fan of it being used - but that's just me, and I'm sure others prefer it.

Nope. In fact, never at all. Why did you ask? I'm not sure if I even you know you in real life. :lol::lol::lol:

When I first said about that word, I was actually referring to a fictional character and not someone who I personally knew in my life. ;)

It was just a mildly amusing quip as it's technically my job, wasn't something intended to be taken seriously!

Tom
I'm not entirely sure of its origin. It's entirely possible that it heralded from there though!

Quite. I'm just not a fan of it being used - but that's just me, and I'm sure others prefer it.

It was just a mildly amusing quip as it's technically my job, wasn't something intended to be taken seriously!
Ohh.. Now I see where you're coming from. :lol:

I'm more than moderately miffed that the verb and present and past particible forms of the noun "marinade" replace the "d" with a "t"; "marinate", "marinating" and "marinated" respectively.

'Specifically'. But only when people pronounce it 'pacifically' over and over in meetings.

Idiots.
abe115d6775f0af37003a3586206f667.jpg

Tom
Is it me? :lol:

I've got to be honest, I agree with the dislike of this word. As I now work in the eSports/ESports/Esports (delete as applicable) indutry full-time, I get referred to as a 'caster' quite a lot and I still don't like it. I've always labelled and marketed myself as a 'commentator' and that is still what I believe I am. I understand that the principle of commentating on virtual racing is different to physical motorsport, but I don't do my job any differently because of it.
There are so many different terms that I hear when people are referring to... well I call you guys "talent" and sometimes add "air" or "on-air" to the mix. Anchor, reporter, commentator, announcer, broadcaster, analyst... It seems like a lot of people interchange these terms when most of them have significant differences and/or should even be used together.

Connect. For literally ANYTHING that involves some kind of interaction. So instead of interacting with each other, you "connect" with each other. I usually associate the word "connect" with the internet, as you need to connect to a network. But outside of tech speak it sounds odd. People might also say that they need to connect with their surroundings, but how does that work exactly? You aren't making a connection, you're just experiencing the environment you live in and being a part of it - that's more like an interaction IMO.

I never said that connect was a new word... I just hear the word being associated with the modern invention of the internet.
Of course you didn't, and it wasn't my intention to suggest that you did. I apologize.

No, what I meant was that there's something inherently peculiar about the notion that the only definition for a [bare minimum] 500-year-old word that makes sense is one that's only been in effect for give-or-take 30 years. But I get it; that definition has been a prevailing one.

I've also seen "murderized".

Sheer incomprehension.
That's pretty awful, but to play devil's advocate, I can see that as being a stylized/colloquial take on the correct word, in the way that "murked" is. Speaking of which...

Murked.

Have we had "gamification"? I thought I'd left it behind at my last job in a big US engineering company. Heard it again today in a teleconference about 3D archaeovisualisation. Which is a crappy word in itself, now I think of it :)

EDIT: Nearly forgot... "smashed" in stupid contexts. Smash it! We smashed it! SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON.

Bastards.

a8e44296-b211-434b-aeb1-c3c703731c15-jpeg.806386

It’s seems to be rooted deeply in sports commentary, despite there being many other (better) adjectives available.

It's an Americanism, and while it can come off as a bit awkward, I'd argue that it does fill serve a purpose within the context. "Victorious" is easily applicable in a single instance, as a competitor who has one just once, even against the winningest competitor in that particular event, is victorious regardless. To be the winningest, one must have won that event more than anyone else. I don't consider it superfluous.

It's an Americanism, and while it can come off as a bit awkward, I'd argue that it does fill serve a purpose within the context. "Victorious" is easily applicable in a single instance, as a competitor who has one just once, even against the winningest competitor in that particular event, is victorious regardless. To be the winningest, one must have won that event more than anyone else. I don't consider it superfluous.

Most. Successful.

I hate the word marshmallow. It so clearly should be marshmellow but I don't personally get to decide which mutated spellings count. Not yet, anyway.

Waifu.

It's not only overused, to the point that corporate twitter accounts are using it to sound hip, but it's simply racist. It's making fun of the Japanese pronunciation of the English word "wife." You use waifu? Congratulations. You comedy is on par with mixing your Ls and Rs.

Then whichever driver wins the most races is just that: the driver with the most race wins.

I don't care whether it is too cumbersome or long, that is the correct thing to say. Not every single phrase in English can be expressed with a one word "adjective". Being a winning driver or a fighting champion is an attributive verb, not a conventional adjective which can be modified into a superlative.

It was an exciting game - a game that excites
It was the excitingest game - the game which was the most exciting

He is a fighting champion - a champion who defends his championship (i.e. combat sports)
He is the fightingest champion - a champion who defends his championship against more competitors than others

A winning driver? A driver who wins. Fine. Not a problem with that.
Winningest? No, sorry. I just cannot accept that.

Then whichever driver wins the most races is just that: the driver with the most race wins.

I don't care whether it is too cumbersome or long, that is the correct thing to say. Not every single phrase in English can be expressed with a one word "adjective". Being a winning driver or a fighting champion is an attributive verb, not a conventional adjective which can be modified into a superlative.

It was an exciting game - a game that excites
It was the excitingest game - the game which was the most exciting

He is a fighting champion - a champion who defends his championship (i.e. combat sports)
He is the fightingest champion - a champion who defends his championship against more competitors than others

A winning driver? A driver who wins. Fine. Not a problem with that.
Winningest? No, sorry. I just cannot accept that.
It's not grammatically correct, and I think that's perfectly reasonable justification for not liking it.

I don't think the existence of a word or combination of words ("most successful") that isn't explicitly applicable to what one is attempting to express is reasonable justification for not liking it.

Of course, that isn't to say that justification for disliking it ought to be reasonable. While I can't pluck any out of the air at the moment, there are surely plenty of words or turns of phrase that I dislike without reasonable justification.

It's not grammatically correct, and I think that's perfectly reasonable justification for not liking it.

I don't think the existence of a word or combination of words ("most successful") that isn't explicitly applicable to what one is attempting to express is reasonable justification for not liking it.

Of course, that isn't to say that justification for disliking it ought to be reasonable. While I can't pluck any out of the air at the moment, there are surely plenty of words or turns of phrase that I dislike without reasonable justification.

I might have even tricked myself into thinking fightingest works. :indiff:

My god, what have I done...

Back