Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Most. Successful.

I hate the word marshmallow. It so clearly should be marshmellow but I don't personally get to decide which mutated spellings count. Not yet, anyway.
Marshmello-1.jpg

Most. Successful.

I hate the word marshmallow. It so clearly should be marshmellow but I don't personally get to decide which mutated spellings count. Not yet, anyway.
“Winningest” WTH. LOL that sounds ridiculous

and yes, as much I hate marshmellows how does it sound like it has a second a??

Ooh, I can think of some, how about;

Penalty
Citroen
17x Tire Wear...

But on a more serious note, I'm more annoyed by **** punctuation and grammar. Here are some examples;

Apple's
Would of
Long, run on sentences, with Charles Dickens levels, of comma abuse, unnecessary clauses, making reading, an absolute chore

"a women"

It feels like it's in fashion in the typo market, with how much I see it these days.

“Man, I feel like a women” - Shania Twain

Ooh, I can think of some, how about;

Penalty
Citroen
17x Tire Wear...

But on a more serious note, I'm more annoyed by **** punctuation and grammar. Here are some examples;

Apple's
Would of
Long, run on sentences, with Charles Dickens levels, of comma abuse, unnecessary clauses, making reading, an absolute chore

Don’t, ever, read Dune, if you don’t like, run on sentences. - sounds like William Shatner

“Man, I feel like a women” - Shania Twain

Don’t, ever, read Dune, if you don’t like, run on sentences. - sounds like William Shatner
Oh man, don't remind me. I love Sci Fi so it was always highly recommended to me, and I remember it reading more like a shopping list than a story. It really grinds my gears, my brain just can't hack it, it's why I can't rate Dickens at all even though it was much more standard practice back then.

Oh man, don't remind me. I love Sci Fi so it was always highly recommended to me, and I remember it reading more like a shopping list than a story. It really grinds my gears, my brain just can't hack it, it's why I can't rate Dickens at all even though it was much more standard practice back then.

I hear that. The story itself is fantastic but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. I read Dune coming of the back of Tolkien (the trilogy),too, so it really felt like the work of a teenage English student’s course work in comparison.

Still, I can’t fault it for imagination, and it’s a lot better than more modern classic sci-fis like Snow Crash.

I hear that. The story itself is fantastic but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. I read Dune coming of the back of Tolkien (the trilogy),too, so it really felt like the work of a teenage English student’s course work in comparison.

Still, I can’t fault it for imagination, and it’s a lot better than more modern classic sci-fis like Snow Crash.
No Sci-Fi i've ever read has enthralled me quite as much as the Commonwealth series by Peter F. Hamilton. A planet called New Germany with a continent-sized BMW factory... Trains in space... Really can't recommend him enough.

No Sci-Fi i've ever read has enthralled me quite as much as the Commonwealth series by Peter F. Hamilton. A planet called New Germany with a continent-sized BMW factory... Trains in space... Really can't recommend him enough.

Thanks for the tip.

I’ve always been an Asimov fan so new sci-fi isn’t as appealing to me but I certainly like the idea that there are works out there that break the mould.

Thanks for the tip.

I’ve always been an Asimov fan so new sci-fi isn’t as appealing to me but I certainly like the idea that there are works out there that break the mould.
Yep, i get that it's hard to beat Asimov, but Hamilton did the trick. He is fairly prolific, with a few series to choose from. I started with Pandora's Star.

Yep, i get that it's hard to beat Asimov, but Hamilton did the trick. He is fairly prolific, with a few series to choose from. I started with Pandora's Star.

Is it hard to find, or readily available?

I live in an obscure place for books so finding them can be an issue. I just had to have The Hitchhikers Guide brought over from the U.K. on a family visit because I couldn’t find it anywhere here.

Is it hard to find, or readily available?

I live in an obscure place for books so finding them can be an issue. I just had to have The Hitchhikers Guide brought over from the U.K. on a family visit because I couldn’t find it anywhere here.
Should be easy enough, I bought most of the ones I have on Amazon. He is billed as the UKs bestselling Sci Fi author so I don't imagine you'll have too much difficulty. :)

prices are absurd.

Are they though? I can’t vouch for their laptops but as far as phones go they make a very nice bit of kit, I’d say well worth their cash value, if you buy one a year after it’s release when the price isn’t premium.

Are they though? I can’t vouch for their laptops but as far as phones go they make a very nice bit of kit, I’d say well worth their cash value, if you buy one a year after it’s release when the price isn’t premium.
Okay, that may not have been fair; it's the first thing that came to mind to jump off of that particular possessive proper noun. Instead let's substitute it with "products are often white." Or in the case of a conjunction involving the proper noun, "a company whose products are often white." Of course neither of these are to suggest the products are predominantly white or that that being the case is a bad thing, rather that I have observed a great many of their products being white in color, particularly after those translucent-bodied iMacs that came in a variety of colors.

It was really intended to illustrate that an apostrophe followed by the letter s isn't incorrect unless it's used in context as a non-possessive plural. A proper noun followed by that combination is absolutely correct as a possessive or a conjunction.

"...one hundred percent."

I feel like this is a bit dishonest; say "eighty percent" or "nineteen percent" so I know you're not a sycophant or only agree a little bit.

"...one hundred percent."

I feel like this is a bit dishonest; say "eighty percent" or "nineteen percent" so I know you're not a sycophant or only agree a little bit.

When life gives you lemons -- you paint them orange (duh). Because it's never about what you say (but rather what you do).

unique

Not the word itself but its misuse. You'll often hear people describe something as being "very unique" or "quite unique". Something unique means the only of its kind or type. By the very nature of the word something either is unique or it isn't; there's no analogue spectrum for uniqueness.

It's a Yes/No adjective.

If you say very unique or quite unique you mean something is distinct, pronounced, rare, unorthodox, noteworthy, recognisable or any number of synonyms.

unique

Not the word itself but its misuse. You'll often hear people describe something as being "very unique" or "quite unique". Something unique means the only of its kind or type. By the very nature of the word something either is unique or it isn't; there's no analogue spectrum for uniqueness.

It's a Yes/No adjective.

If you say very unique or quite unique you mean something is distinct, pronounced, rare, unorthodox, noteworthy, recognisable or any number of synonyms.
That depends entirely on your perspective and what you mean by something. Ask a quantum physicist and he'll probably tell you that everything you call something is indeed unique. The question then becomes; to what degree is something unique.

Latest Posts

Back