Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
a whole other
Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

:lol:

The phrase "a whole nother," however, bugs me to no end.

Artie as a short form of Arthur.
Or Artemus.

The character in that particular track (from 2006) goes back to 1984 and the same artist's rock opera Pink World that tells of a dystopian indeterminate period in time where society has been all but obliterated by nuclear war and fallout, and is at the time only made up of an area referred to as "The Zone," created and protected by a mute boy with powerful psychic abilities, Artemus, who is being manipulated by a corrupt governing body to utilize his abilities for their will.

:sly:

Cheese. (when used before taking a picture)
When we're talking about the food itself, it doesn't bother me, but for as long as I can remember, I never liked it when someone told me to "Say Cheese!" before taking a picture. Now I am not one for memes, but when someone says this to me, in my mind i'm like:
latest

If you want me to smile for a picture, saying that is only going to make me even less likely to do so. I really am not quite sure why this annoys me so much, but it just does and I can't really think of an easy explanation why.

&

I don't have an issue with it being used commercially, as in a name for a business or performing act, and its use when citing those in written speech is perfectly fine, however, it bugs me to no end when an ampersand is used in place of "and" in written speech.

When we're talking about the food itself, it doesn't bother me, but for as long as I can remember, I never liked it when someone told me to "Say Cheese!" before taking a picture. Now I am not one for memes, but when someone says this to me, in my mind i'm like:
latest

If you want me to smile for a picture, saying that is only going to make me even less likely to do so. I really am not quite sure why this annoys me so much, but it just does and I can't really think of an easy explanation why.
Cheese is a word that makes your mouth move into a shape that looks like a smile. Some people struggle to "fake" a smile for a photo, so saying the word cheese makes it look like you are smiling. It's actually pretty clever.

Unplayable

As used to mean a player in sports who is in a brilliant run of form and cannot be excluded from the starting line up. He's undroppable, even if it sounds clunky and doesn't have that aesthetic sound to it, but not unplayable. Sorry but that means the total opposite of what you're trying to say.

Cheese is a word that makes your mouth move into a shape that looks like a smile. Some people struggle to "fake" a smile for a photo, so saying the word cheese makes it look like you are smiling. It's actually pretty clever.
Yea I know why they do it and yes it is clever, but again, I just don't like it when they say that and I have to resist the urge to frown when I hear it. Surely they have plenty of other words that would work just as well if not better.
Unplayable

As used to mean a player in sports who is in a brilliant run of form and cannot be excluded from the starting line up. He's undroppable, even if it sounds clunky and doesn't have that aesthetic sound to it, but not unplayable. Sorry but that means the total opposite of what you're trying to say.
I personally find it mildly annoying in some (but not all) cases when it used to describe something in a video game.

Like for instance, if you try load something in a game and it crashes every single time before you can even play it, that is what I consider as "unplayable" and that's generally how I think of it. If I see it used to describe something in a game that is either very boring, hard to play or unreliable, that's when it annoys me slightly. I mean if you can load it up and at the very least do something with it, then it's not unplayable. (At least that's how I see it)

I found a word that I don't like. I don't hate it but it gives me a strange, in a negative way, feeling. I find this word, kind of, pathetic. Don't ask me why because I have no clue.

The word is: collection.

When used in the context of collection something, such as cars. My collection ......, I'm going to add this to my collection ..........., the is the right item for my collection, etc.................. .

Clipazine.
This is a term often used in the Nerf community as a name for magazines. Okay, Hasbro calls their magazines "clips", I guess so they can avoid relating too close to real life fire arms, but they're objectively considered magazines. However, people often debate as to what it should be called and they will get annoyed if you refer to them by either name. So some will use the term clipazine as a way of finding the middle ground between the two, but to me personally, all it really does is annoy both sides of the argument and doesn't really do much outside of that. It's a term I really wish people would stop using.

Last edited:
Solutions. The word is used too often in the wrong context and it drives me mad. For example, one sponsor on the Walkinshaw Supercars is Sharkbite Plumbing Solutions, implying that the company will help solve a plumbing problem, even though it may just be a matter of replacing a pipe. If you aren't talking about mathematics or problem solving, it sounds stupid. You can't exactly sell a solution.

Solutions. The word is used too often in the wrong context and it drives me mad. For example, one sponsor on the Walkinshaw Supercars is Sharkbite Plumbing Solutions, implying that the company will help solve a plumbing problem, even though it may just be a matter of replacing a pipe. If you aren't talking about mathematics or problem solving, it sounds stupid. You can't exactly sell a solution.

I immediately thought about this, I don't know why.

Well, you can. If the pipe is what solves the problem and they happen to sell it, technically, is selling a solution, so you might call it a "solution". Most of the times I see this applied is a company that offeres, mainly, complex systems, for example, a very specific pump or flitering systems. They usually don't aplly that term light hearted-ly and their products have quite a lot of engineering. But that's my experience.

There are solutions you can sell, but in a different context.

Drain cleaner is a solution wherein sodium hydroxide (lye) is combined with sodium hypochlorite (bleach) to create a powerful alkaline liquid corrosive that will eat away at blockages in pipes. This would be a plumbing solution.

;)

Of course that doesn't apply here as Sharkbite appears to sell cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) tubing and connectors.

:P

Legit...as an abbreviation for "legitimately".

Fine: "The signature looks legit to me."

Not fine: "I legit don't understand why people use this. I literally can't even."

Addicting. It's technically not incorrect, but "addictive" is just so much better.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I HATE the word "empowering". All to often it's getting rammed down our throats, mainly by feminists and other women. I mean, how is going to a new Victoria's Secret shop "empowering" exactly? Why can only women feel empowered to play sport, wear certain clothes or feel a certain way? What about men's empowerment? What I'm basically saying is that the word is inescapable nowadays.

Tazer. Wrong. It's Taser.

Yes, it's pronounced with a Z sound but so are the words boys, his, was and is. In fact, most English plurals are pronounced with a Z. TASER stands for Thomas A Swift Electronic Rifle after the book of the same name.

Unplayable

What they're trying to say there is that the opposition are unable to play against him (runs/dribbles past, knocks them out the way, whatever) because he's that good. It's the opposition who find him unplayable.

What they're trying to say there is that the opposition are unable to play against him (runs/dribbles past, knocks them out the way, whatever) because he's that good. It's the opposition who find him unplayable.

That's interesting because I've never thought of the word in that sense before. It's never really been intimated that that is the context for it to be used in. I still don't think that makes sense; if the opposition are unable to play against him, that is to say they are not able play, then the opposition are the ones who are seemingly not playable.

If anything, that makes the good player unplayagainstable. Either way, it's a horrible phrase that I would rather was expunged from all sports punditry.

That's interesting because I've never thought of the word in that sense before. It's never really been intimated that that is the context for it to be used in. I still don't think that makes sense; if the opposition are unable to play against him, that is to say they are not able play, then the opposition are the ones who are seemingly not playable.

If anything, that makes the good player unplayagainstable. Either way, it's a horrible phrase that I would rather was expunged from all sports punditry.
In cricket, if you hit or try to hit the ball with the bat you are playing the ball. If the bowler's delivery is so good that it seems virtually impossible to play the ball well then the delivery is sometimes described as unplayable. I think that's similar to the sense of the word that @daan was describing.

latest

I think photographers have suggested that saying "cheese" actually creates lots of unrealistic smiles. It's a silly word, meant to be softly spoken; but after a few hundred times, it causes people to either have a feigned look of "I'm totally not thinking about how everything in my life has mysteriously led up to this moment" or the desire to imitate The Joker.

At least for the kids, they sometimes get a little frustrated but you can break the tension by saying "Daddy Smells Funny" and it's worked 100% of the time.

Adults...well, not so much.

Back