Words I Hate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,274 comments
  • 126,464 views
Fleek, a word recently adopted by the #SwagYoloists. Meant for an alternative for the phrase 'on point', used as 'on fleek'. A phrase I liked is now a million times worse thanks to this trend.
 
Fun.

When used in an argument.
 
Fiscal

*Cringe*

Probably because CNN used that word 9,000,000,000,000 last year during the US government shutdown.
 
Don't forget instamotion and facetube.

FewToob and Intradram, how could I forget them along with MyRace, Vain, and Plunk?

My old age is getting to me gulliver.
 
Fiscal

*Cringe*

Probably because CNN used that word 9,000,000,000,000 last year during the US government shutdown.

I find that once you avoid CNN (or any channel that talks about money and Company profits), you'll hear it a lot less.
 
I find that once you avoid CNN (or any channel that talks about money and Company profits), you'll hear it a lot less.

I want to, but my family watches it. And they don't even say it anymore.

A
 
Like if people say after an argument that it was fun to argue or as a reason/defense for their side?
No. If there reason for their argument is that "it's fun".
 
"I'd like to drive a Lotus Elise over a Toyota Avensis"
"Why?"
"Because it's more fun"...

"Fun" isn't always a bad argument, until the "fun" turns into a synonym of "stupid".

"Let's go drinking like there's no tomorrow"
"But, I have a job interview tomorrow"
"Come on, it'll be fun" (translation: It's a stupid idea, don't do it)

or

"I can jump into that pool from here"
"That's a stupid idea"
"No, it's a fun idea" (translation: You're right, I shouldn't do it)

Are bad uses of "fun", where the "fun" loses its original meaning.
 
"I'd like to drive a Lotus Elise over a Toyota Avensis"
"Why?"
"Because it's more fun"...

"Fun" isn't always a bad argument, until the "fun" turns into a synonym of "stupid".

"Let's go drinking like there's no tomorrow"
"But, I have a job interview tomorrow"
"Come on, it'll be fun" (translation: It's a stupid idea, don't do it)

or

"I can jump into that pool from here"
"That's a stupid idea"
"No, it's a fun idea" (translation: You're right, I shouldn't do it)

Are bad uses of "fun", where the "fun" loses its original meaning.
I find them all stupid ways.

I feel like fun is just a cheap way to get out of arguments. You need to explain why it's fun instead of saying it's fun. Opinions are supposed to be backed up with facts. Saying "it's fun" is just backing an opinion with another opinion. Saying "It's handling is very weightless which allows for hectic cornering" is explaining why it's fun and is using facts of the car to back it's opinion
 
@RESHIRAM5 What, to you, is a tolerable use of the word fun?
In an argument. I'm ok with fun if you explain why it's fun.

I'm fine with it in non-argument uses too, just in arguments if it isn't explained why (you don't even need to use it when explaining something you enjoy).
 
"Troubadour". To me it's a by-word for a musician who just moans into a microphone and drags out every single syllable, e.g. Villagers.
 
Kidz with a z

Pisses me off because it neither improves the word or makes it cooler. Its just lame.
 
Kidz with a z

Pisses me off because it neither improves the word or makes it cooler. Its just lame.
Words that end in z that are supposed to end in s can be so annoying. It's seriously uncool.
 
Mercury. Because I always mess up the frigging pronunciation
 
"Natter". I dunno why, but whenever I see/hear it I imagine middle-aged women from the 1950s.
 
DK
"Natter". I dunno why, but whenever I see/hear it I imagine middle-aged women from the 1950s.
Isn't that what Ray Winstone calls a 'nutter'?
 
DK
"Natter". I dunno why, but whenever I see/hear it I imagine middle-aged women from the 1950s.

My grandmother used to attend a "Knit'n'natter", a phrase that always grated on me. My grandfather would (out of her earshot) refer to it as the "stitch'n'bitch", fairly common around Blackburrrrn or so I understand.
 
School.
 
Texture, when talking about food.:banghead:
 
I once worked with a woman who hated that word so I made sure to use it as much as possible when she was around.
Did it
make her moist in anger
 
Back