World Of Speed, Slightly Mad Studio's MMO Racer project - is this taking time away from pCARS?

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 30 comments
Hm... I personally don't think that it's taking time away from pCARS. But, that depends on how many of SMS employees are developing WOS. WOS seems to use some of the same things from pCARS like the engine maybe and a few other things. Might be just some tweaks to the physics and track, bam!, new game. Or it could be a whole different story.

I work in software engineerin, and in all the firms I have worked for we have had more than 1 project running. I really don't think that game software development is so different from other software development that only having one project at the time is a good idea.

It's a different game altogether, made by a different team in the studio. (sharing some assets sure, but thats only logical :) )

As it's a different game, the thread would be better located in the Console & pc gaming forum, instead of here IMO.

EDIT: There is a thread already actually, just remembered. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/world-of-speed-pc.302698/

So I guess you posted this to clear up the question. (unless you missed the thread.. can happen :))

No need to start up a new thread just to stir things up, it's already been brought up in the World Of Speed section. It has also been stated that it will not hamper Project Cars & that it will actually help out by adding to the car list, but it comes across a bit like an Assetto Corsa fan having a dig. A good friend that works at Rebellion Developments assures me that it is quite normal to have staff working on more than one game.

JvM
It's a different game altogether, made by a different team in the studio. (sharing some assets sure, but thats only logical :) )

As it's a different game, the thread would be better located in the Console & pc gaming forum, instead of here IMO.

EDIT: There is a thread already actually, just remembered. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/world-of-speed-pc.302698/

So I guess you posted this to clear up the question. (unless you missed the thread.. can happen :))

No need to start up a new thread just to stir things up, it's already been brought up in the World Of Speed section. It has also been stated that it will not hamper Project Cars & that it will actually help out by adding to the car list, but it comes across a bit like an Assetto Corsa fan having a dig. A good friend that works at Rebellion Developments assures me that it is quite normal to have staff working on more than one game.

Seriously?

I've been a fan of pCars for a long long time. I worked really hard along with @FLX1981 in order to update the main thread's OP to what it is now. I love pCars and what it's trying to do, don't throw that sort of nonsense at me, you have no basis for it.

No one has to try and draw lines and divide up the (very small) community more than it already is, why are you attempting that by trying to label me as being on AC's side? I don't consider them to be in the same boat anyway, they co-exist peacefully, they're not direct competitors. Even if they were, I'd encourage both to be the best they could, and do all I could to support both as well.

The main reason I'm on AC more anyway is because they allow modding, I'm not a stickler for physics, I've run leagues in GT5 and 6 every weekend for the past 3 years, for God's sake.

I bring up pCars at every opportunity I can when talking about sims with people, I never let it slide.

The main reason I made this thread was because I only heard of it for the first time on reddit and people were asking the same. I had the same concern, and if I'm left confused, I can assure you many more people are as well. So it's important to bring this up front and center to clear up the confusion asap and get past it otherwise people will continue to keep wondering and asking about it into the future. I think it's really important.

Take it easy chaps :D

From what i heard it would be a more arcade based game no? So i guess the physics codes they have to program won't be that complicated and they have the great graphics already, so one could see it as a user friendly PCARS demo maybe?

Sorry for the misunderstanding if that is the case, only I have obviously missed all the positive things you have said about Project Cars (only i can't find any), only it seemed that every now and then you throw in an underhand comment or dig about it, in the post above you do it again by saying you're not a stickler for physics. It comes across like you are saying PCars will not have realistic physics, yes you can twist it and say you didn't mean it as such.

As stated plenty of times before, Project Cars will be a sim.

http://www.worldofspeed.com/
Just wanted to address this concern here. Seems like a weird time to be starting up another project.
WOS has been in the works for quite a while, as indicated by it soon being in beta.

As mentioned in the pCARS thread, we're not free to share the details, but the WOS project with it's associated finances and staff allows SMS to throw more resources at pCARS. That means pCARS may avoid any further delays, it will get more content/licenses and the completion of development is secured.

Edit: added quote and detail

Last edited:
Sorry for the misunderstanding if that is the case, only I have obviously missed all the positive things you have said about Project Cars (only i can't find any), only it seemed that every now and then you throw in an underhand comment or dig about it, in the post above you do it again by saying you're not a stickler for physics. It comes across like you are saying PCars will not have realistic physics, yes you can twist it and say you didn't mean it as such.

As stated plenty of times before, Project Cars will be a sim.
"No one can ever say anything that can be even remotely be interpreted as negative regarding my favourite video game."

I work in software engineerin, and in all the firms I have worked for we have had more than 1 project running. I really don't think that game software development is so different from other software development that only having one project at the time is a good idea.

I'm not a software engineer and I don't have any experience from anything close to this field, but looking at other succesful developers it seems like the most successful ones are the ones that have a whole team focus on one project at a time. like GTA5 was so good because I don't think Rockstar was working on anything besides GTA5 at the time.
or Naughty Dog working on The Last of Us.

I'm not a software engineer and I don't have any experience from anything close to this field, but looking at other succesful developers it seems like the most successful ones are the ones that have a whole team focus on one project at a time. like GTA5 was so good because I don't think Rockstar was working on anything besides GTA5 at the time.
But the last of us is supposed to be great???

Oh sorry for some reason I thought you said so bad instead of so good, sorry. but gta 5 is simply awful. I have never been more annoyed with a game, a large feat considering the existence of pd.
haha no worries bro

haha you're fine bro.
I LOVED GTA5. I left my PS3 back at home since I figured I won't be playing it much now that I have my PS4 and wow do I miss that game lol. really hoping they make a remake for the PS4 lol.

but I'm definitely grabbing the last of us remake for the PS4 next month

haha no worries bro

haha you're fi
I LOVED GTA5. I left my PS3 back at home since I figured I won't be playing it much now that I have my PS4 and wow do I miss that game lol. really hoping they make a remake for the PS4 lol.

but I'm definitely grabbing the last of us remake for the PS4 next month
Hey don't get me wrong single player was fun, but multiplayer is so ****** up beyond belief that I have a certain hatred for the game. Rockstars have proven what crap developers they're capable of being, not fixing bugs or letting players actually make any in game money.

Hey don't get me wrong single player was fun, but multiplayer is so ****** up beyond belief that I have a certain hatred for the game. Rockstars have proven what crap developers they're capable of being, not fixing bugs or letting players actually make any in game money.

hahahaha ohhhh yeah I definitely agree with you. the MP was broken since day 1 (literally) lol.
that money glitch really killed the online imho. you saw everyone living in that one particular high rise and everyone had a garage full of exotics. there were more exotics roaming around than normal cars which kind of defeated the whole purpose of exotic cars haha
but if they remake it for PS4 with fixed online then hell yeah I'm all down for it. but even if it's not fixed I still don't care. it didn't bother me THAT much. I still enjoyed sniping people.
my only real complaint was the auto aim. auto aim completely ruined online imho

hahahaha ohhhh yeah I definitely agree with you. the MP was broken since day 1 (literally) lol.
that money glitch really killed the online imho. you saw everyone living in that one particular high rise and everyone had a garage full of exotics. there were more exotics roaming around than normal cars which kind of defeated the whole purpose of exotic cars haha
but if they remake it for PS4 with fixed online then hell yeah I'm all down for it. but even if it's not fixed I still don't care. it didn't bother me THAT much. I still enjoyed sniping people.
my only real complaint was the auto aim. auto aim completely ruined online imho
Gta4. That game was PERFECT.

I don´t know anything about Naughty Dog, but for Rockstar and GTA5 they, as a company had more than the GTA5 project running at the same time. How it normally works is that you start up the project with a small group of designers, writers and architects (software architects not house :)). When they have made their first drafts, you might add som QA people and testers and lead developers. When the first drafts are done then you can start adding more people. When you get the complete framework up. (Story, game mechanics, layout of graphics areas, list of vehicles, etc) you can add a lot more to basically add the flesh. Then when the bulk is done you remove parts of the manpower and only keep those needed for polish and release work.

If you are working on more than one title, as a company you can optimize your work effort.

It can be dangerous for an organization to only focus on one thing because you might end up as:
  • Path dependant; you choose the same solutions time after time, even when the world have moved on and it exists better ways.
  • Bug blindness: because you see the same thing over and over, this have happend to me several times. I have been working for a long time on a feature, and have polished it perfectly, then a colleague looks for it for 2 minutes and says something like "WTF man, this will not work because..." and sees something I got blind to.
  • Endless polish on the wrong thing: you can end up using a lot of time making something that basically the users don´t want but you have so much time on your hands and only working on one project.
Project often follows the S-curve where you often add more people in the steepest part of the S.

I don´t know anything about Naughty Dog, but for Rockstar and GTA5 they, as a company had more than the GTA5 project running at the same time. How it normally works is that you start up the project with a small group of designers, writers and architects (software architects not house :)). When they have made their first drafts, you might add som QA people and testers and lead developers. When the first drafts are done then you can start adding more people. When you get the complete framework up. (Story, game mechanics, layout of graphics areas, list of vehicles, etc) you can add a lot more to basically add the flesh. Then when the bulk is done you remove parts of the manpower and only keep those needed for polish and release work.

If you are working on more than one title, as a company you can optimize your work effort.

It can be dangerous for an organization to only focus on one thing because you might end up as:
  • Path dependant; you choose the same solutions time after time, even when the world have moved on and it exists better ways.
  • Bug blindness: because you see the same thing over and over, this have happend to me several times. I have been working for a long time on a feature, and have polished it perfectly, then a colleague looks for it for 2 minutes and says something like "WTF man, this will not work because..." and sees something I got blind to.
  • Endless polish on the wrong thing: you can end up using a lot of time making something that basically the users don´t want but you have so much time on your hands and only working on one project.
Project often follows the S-curve where you often add more people in the steepest part of the S.

ah I see. thanks for the clarificaiton!!!

Sounds like Polyphony Digital & the Gran Turismo series.

Back