Worst Liveries Of All Time

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,105 comments
Rare progress shot:

latest

It looks like they got someone off the street who had never played Real Racing 3 before and had no concept of racing liveries, then gave them 5 minutes to learn the livery editor and design something.

1997-jeremy-mayfield-kmart_a.jpg

Back in the late '90s pretty much everyone thought this was a terrible looking car. The original version had solid blue patches with straight edges (couldn't find a clear picture of it though), which made it look like an old beater with mismatched doors. Plus the split sponsor on the hood and cluttered side panels looked really out of place in a field where even the backmarkers would have one name covering all the major areas and maybe a secondary on the decklid. It stood out to be sure, but for the wrong reasons.

For its time, it was definitely one of the worst liveries out there.

I dunno, I kinda like the colors on that one... reminds me of toy cars I had as a kid, as well.

But my experience with mismatched beater cars is restricted to GTA, so I don't see it as trashy as others would. :dopey:

Nascar has had a lot of hideous ones over the years. Travis Pastrana's cars seem to attract it though.

pastrana.jpg
The unfortunate side effect of moving from airbrushing and decals to full vinyl wraps. Sure it's quicker and less expensive, but... well, it is possible to have too much creative freedom.

1997-jeremy-mayfield-kmart_a.jpg

Back in the late '90s pretty much everyone thought this was a terrible looking car. The original version had solid blue patches with straight edges (couldn't find a clear picture of it though), which made it look like an old beater with mismatched doors. Plus the split sponsor on the hood and cluttered side panels looked really out of place in a field where even the backmarkers would have one name covering all the major areas and maybe a secondary on the decklid. It stood out to be sure, but for the wrong reasons.

For its time, it was definitely one of the worst liveries out there.
As a Mayfield fan, I take exception to that. :D Some people may think his Fingerhut car was worse though.
98Fingerhutrefa-vi.jpg

I don't know. Pink seemed to be an unlikely, but less rare theme than one might think back in the 90's. Take the Country Time and Exide cars for example. Personally, I kind of like them for some reason...:dopey:
image_zps5w4hfiee.jpg

99Exide1996ref-vi.jpg

As a Mayfield fan, I take exception to that. :D Some people may think his Fingerhut car was worse though.
98Fingerhutrefa-vi.jpg

I don't know. Pink seemed to be an unlikely, but less rare theme than one might think back in the 90's. Take the Country Time and Exide cars for example. Personally, I kind of like them for some reason...:dopey:
image_zps5w4hfiee.jpg

99Exide1996ref-vi.jpg
I never really had a problem with using pink on race cars, since it's usually offset by equal amounts of black like the Fingerhut and Exide cars. And in the case of the 51 car it works because hey, who doesn't like pink lemonade? :lol:

I never really had a problem with using pink on race cars, since it's usually offset by equal amounts of black like the Fingerhut and Exide cars. And in the case of the 51 car it works because hey, who doesn't like pink lemonade? :lol:
I don't know why, but pink lemonade seems to taste better. :sly:

I'd like it a bit more if the silver were white instead, but that's just me. I wouldn't say that's a bad livery at all, really.

I think the silver works, it's more the green on the front for me.

Okay, a slight diversion here.

1998 Honda Accord BTCC. Brilliant, no question.

btcc98accord.jpg

But then... I was playing GT2 and came across this. It's a racing car which mercifully did not exist; a US Accord wagon with the BTCC livery which makes it look like the actual BTCC car but with massive head swelling.

:ill:

h1.png

h2.png

Thats a Japanese Market accord (6th gen Accord was split into 3 models for Europe, Japan and the rest of the world which the US used).

You can do the same with the Primera Wagon as well.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Good grief, how could they mess up that livery so badly... here's another abomination. This top pic is a diecast, the only one I could find of the real car didn't show how bad it looks.

1shark.jpg

images

So, the Pennzoil livery is pretty iconic, right? Simple yellow with thin black stripes, understated but easily recognized. Shouldn't be possible to screw that up, yeah?

Steve-Park-2001.jpg

...oh. Never mind. :ill:
I don't think that looks too bad myself.
Good grief, how could they mess up that livery so badly... here's another abomination. This top pic is a diecast, the only one I could find of the real car didn't show how bad it looks.

1shark.jpg

images
This on the other hand...:scared:

Thats a Japanese Market accord (6th gen Accord was split into 3 models for Europe, Japan and the rest of the world which the US used).

You can do the same with the Primera Wagon as well.

hqdefault.jpg

An abomination upon thy eyes.

1shark.jpg

images
Has there actually ever been a car/livery where the painted on teeth looked good on?

Back