Would you pay to unlock all cars immediately? [poll]

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 134 comments

Would you pay a small amount in order to unlock all the cars in GT5?

• Yes

Votes: 66 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 356 84.4%

• Total voters
daan
This.

I have no issues in having to earn credits in game before I can buy a car, but I want all cars to be available for purchase at all times.

Yes, this exactly.

No, I like the UCD the way it is. Infact I´d like the rare cars beeing even rarer! And fix all those cheats/glitches... Well, thats too late for 5; hopefully in 6!

Flaco13
No, I like the UCD the way it is. Infact I´d like the rare cars beeing even rarer! And fix all those cheats/glitches... Well, thats too late for 5; hopefully in 6!

Events featuring those cars or even exclusively those cars would then be rare.

A step back IMHO.

So rare cars are readily available? Er that's good with me.

Yeah, Im talking about every car available on special events or Arcade, is ok. Yet to OWN one, in your Garage, this should be something SPECIAL! No step back IMO

Flaco13
Yeah, Im talking about every car available on special events or Arcade, is ok. Yet to OWN one, in your Garage, this should be something SPECIAL! No step back IMO

Sounds like you need a livery editor my friend.
Seems as though you would like something unique in your garage.

Total spin of a coin as to what PD will do next. Who knows.

Ross
But with trading, birthday and level tickets and the Borrow Glitch, no car is really rare anymore.

I think rarer cars are rare to the majority. Most people don't know about these tricks and glitches.

One side of me thinks that it should be kept the way it is right now. It adds another level of collectivity to the game. Another side of me yearns for a dealer garage similar to that of GT3.

Aat the end of the day though, I find it very unlikely that PD will do any update along these lines. The OCD is adequate for me anyway, although I do really wish it were updated more often.

Raitziger
PD is not EA, and game is not Need for speed.

Yea, I'd prefer it to return to a GT3 style. Then again I could care less what they do with standards, I refuse to use them when I don't have to, and will continue to in the next game if PD makes the mistake of adding them.

Last edited:
Yea, I'd prefer it to return to a GT4 style. Then again I could care less what they do with standards, I refuse to use them when I don't have to, and will continue to in the next game if PD makes the mistake of adding them.

fixed. the gt4 styling and setup was much better. I think if they could have made it a gt4 type setup with all cars premium and had more races and made bspec an option for all races esp enduro's (i.e. 24hr @ Nurb, I dont have that kind of patience or time.).

This is something that should be free and come with the game from day 1.

A simulator with a credit and unlock scheme is silly, and I'll take any way around having to deal with those things be it glitching, duping, etc. I don't like giving them money for something that shouldn't be charged for though.

Then you trade in the game you clearly don't have time to play.
Please, don't start with this poorly thought out suggestion again.
You win races, you receive credits, you spend credits on cars. That is the essence of GT
To each their own, I see it as one of GT's biggest problems.

And there's no reason that traditional GT and unlocked GT can't coexist, so I don't see why it should not be done.

No way - earning money and buying cars is a huge part of the appeal of any racing game for me. It makes me feel like I'm working towards something - assembling a garage of my dream cars.

I've actually grown to like the UCD. It's fun seeing which cars show up this time, next time, etc. It gets me to browse through a lot of stuff I'd skip over if they were all available all the time.

OK, then don't unlock things. It's that simple. Why are you so strongly against something that would not affect you at all?

Last edited:
I just hope in GT6, PD will just at least make all cars available to use in arcade mode and online. I see no logical reason for not doing so. Just let people jump in and enjoy driving and racing the cars they want.

A simulation should mimic real-life, and a driving simulation should not restrict me from buying any particular car I can afford, right? Wrong.

Q: Is every car in the world available for sale to any buyer, all the time?
A: No.

Some people are much more interested in exclusivity than in money. This means some cars are simply not for sale, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Last edited:
I very much like the system as it is. Sure I get your point Wardez for leagues but otherwise I like it.

Allowing trading would fix the problem but dupers spoiled the fun for everyone. Instead, could we sell cars from player to player for ingame credits? Would make the dupers' job a bit more complicated atleast so maybe they would have enough of a life to not sit at home first grinding money to then buy a car from themselves and restore save files.

I just hope in GT6, PD will just at least make all cars available to use in arcade mode and online. I see no logical reason for not doing so. Just let people jump in and enjoy driving and racing the cars they want.

Exactly, I just want to race online against real people, tune cars and not waste my time with gathering credits.

A simulation should mimic real-life, and a driving simulation should not restrict me from buying any particular car I can afford, right? Wrong.

Q: Is every car in the world available for sale to any buyer, all the time?
A: No.

Some people are much more interested in exclusivity than in money. This means some cars are simply not for sale, no matter how much money you throw at it.

By that logic ONE player in the world would have the R390 GT1 road car.
NO players would have the NSX-R LM road.
Numerous cars in the game would have to be removed etc etc.

Absolutely not. I hate the idea of paying for unlock codes in general and especially for Gran Turismo. Starting with nothing and slowly building an amazing garage is a big part of why I love the GT series.

I would say that the UCD could do with a bit of a rethink and the prices for some cars are awfully high. A few small tweeks could make cars more accessible without completely changing the intended game progression.

If Polyphony offered an unlock-all code it probably wouldn't end the world, but I wouldn't be interested in it. It does seem a very EA thing to do and I don't support any developer going down that road.

Last edited:
An arcade racer would get more yes votes. I think people buy Gran Turismo games for an in-depth experience with a driving simulator. I think more people play GT games for a challenge and a sense of accomplishment with such an expansive game than your average Midnight Club player who just wants all the cars to customize.

I wouldn't pay and especially not for GT, the only DLC I paid for was SSRX so I could do 1/4-mile and top speed testing but I was a bit offended when they already sold me an incomplete game for full [rice and then ask me to pay for features that had been included in previous games.

Then again, I'd rather that than pay monthly to play online, so I may not like it but it's better than the alternative.

One thing that is obvious is that GT atracts a few different types of Virtual Racer.

As such, whatever PD does will upset some faction (Too many cars - Too few cars and so on)

I'd prefer it if cars were rare/exclusive rewards for talent at the game rather than either Buying it or sleaze/cheating a copy of it.

"Must be so high to ride the Rollercoaster"
A Gold licence test would be nice to back up with an "Exclusive members car" that the only way you earn it is to pass the test.

For me alot of the cars are too easy to get - a feast of cars that glut of choice means you don't really get a chance to enjoy your current car before you swap out into a fresh one.

GT5 has some funny ideas on what a car is worth - but in general it is pretty easy to earn the cash to get that car you want... A bit of, how some say, "Grind" makes you value the car a bit more.

Ryk
One thing that is obvious is that GT atracts a few different types of Virtual Racer.

As such, whatever PD does will upset some faction (Too many cars - Too few cars and so on)
This is a fatal flaw in reasoning. The only issue is when two or more wants conflict. If this is not the case, the answer is easy, add them both.

If there isn't a conflict, but people still are against one thing or another they should be ignored.

The unlock vs free debate is pretty simple as there is no need to have a conflict of interest.

but in general it is pretty easy to earn the cash to get that car you want... A bit of, how some say, "Grind" makes you value the car a bit more.

Getting one car is easy, but having to get credits for it is still boring and pointless no matter how short it is. A toll booth slows you down no matter how short the line is. If there is no reason for the tollbooth at all, why is it there?

And if grinding added to a car's value, there probably wouldn't be any arguments against grinding. A car is worth what it's worth, and nothing but the car will change that. It's a fact that not everyone thinks the same way.

Not really worth it. I know that some people can't dedicate too much time to GT5, but it's really not worth it since you can make like 5,000,000 Cr. Doing the 1 Lap Seasonal at the Nurburgring. Plus, all cars are unlocked already unlike with other GT games. The only one might be the RedBull thing that requires level 40, and even that car can be won at some point.

Another thing is that GT5 already suffers from replay value (Note: when compared with other GT's) so this would kill the purpose.

Another thing is that GT5 already suffers from replay value (Note: when compared with other GT's) so this would kill the purpose.

Not at all. Skipping mind numbing portions of the game will not have a negative impact on the game's longevity. And if it's optional, there is no way to lose no matter what your preference is.

All I know is that 99% of my time in GT Mode was a complete waste of time (and it's wasn't a small amount of time). I had to invest in GT Mode anyway just to get access to things I wanted to use. It would have been time much better spent trying to organize races online or just free running. Waiting in an empty room for people to show up is more fun than grinding.

Having to get on GT to get money for cars was a good way of insuring that I would put the game back down again in a little while.

That depends on the kind of replay value you enjoy, again you've got different people. For me, I've got somewhere around 1500-1600 cars, over 20 custom courses I've made in the past 2 months alone (been making tracks since not long after it came out), over 100 friends that play GT5, and Arcade mode for when I want to play offline. I mostly do rally so it's already chaotic, but I very rarely even use true rally cars, most of my rally tunes are for cars pretty out in left field to be driving in the dirt/snow (Lexus SC430, RUF RGT, Alfa Romeo Giulia SS and GTA, Alfa Romeo 8C, Chrysler 300C, Lotus Elan, the usual things most people don't even know you can get dirt tires for).

No two rally races are ever the same, throw some oddball cars in there and I could drive my Spoon Civic Type R all day on different tracks without getting bored! The more you think outside the box, the more possibilities you can find! I just found the Arcade-style rally races, even on custom tracks, often gives the computers crazy cars as well like I've a Camaro Z28 and an F150 SVT Lightning in the same race on a Liege track. Ever seen a naturally aspirated '98 Mini Cooper pass a Camaro Z28 going uphill? All kinds of fun to be had there!

At the start I would never have paid as I agree with most of you that it's part of the game. But now I've grown bored of grinding and collecting so I probably would pay to unlock to remainder of the cars aslong it wasn't too much.

fbccars924
fixed. the gt4 styling and setup was much better. I think if they could have made it a gt4 type setup with all cars premium and had more races and made bspec an option for all races esp enduro's (i.e. 24hr @ Nurb, I dont have that kind of patience or time.).

I didn't actually play GT4, just gt3.

This isn't about purchasing time saver packs. This is about being able to have every car readily available to buy as long as you have the credits to do so.

Sorry I misunderstood. I am ok with it if you have used ingame credits.

No.
To elaborate. It's a game. You are expected to put some effort in it.
Otherwise it's a waste of time (if you can unlock everything from the start).

Back