Would you pay to unlock all cars immediately? [poll]

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 134 comments

Would you pay a small amount in order to unlock all the cars in GT5?

• Yes

Votes: 66 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 356 84.4%

• Total voters
So you're saying, since a moderator made the post, it's OK to bump an 18 month old topic that wasn't in the right section anyway?

Excellent logic, sir.

What I'm saying is, it's here in the GT6 Forum and people are commenting on it. You always have the option to report it if you don't think it's inappropriate and someone will take care of it if it needs taking care of. Until then I suspect people will continue to comment.

I think paying for the same content twice is just stupid. If it was a good thing to have all cars from the start then make the game work with that idea. Build the gameplay around that idea the players have access to everything from early on. The problem is I don't know any single player games that do it.
Simulators. A lot of simulators.

It's very easy to put into GT too.

Press start > select: A-Spec - single player mode with credits, Free mode - single player and online mode based around user creativity.

But more importantly they give all cars and all content straight to you simply because there is no good gameplay mechanic to make the players to earn the cars.
I see the opposite. Progression is a way to artificially extend the life of a game that is practically worthless. This doesn't mean that a game with progression is bad (GT5 was fun despite A-Spec), but if a game isn't fun without progression, it's probably a bad game. Afterall I always think that gameplay is the core of a game right?

For gt game it is different. The game is not about driving all cars. It is not about getting instant access to everything. GT is a career mode game where the key aspect of its gameplay is about unlocking the content by playing the game. I'd go as far as to say the career mode in gt is more important than the driving. The game has more or less carefully laid out career mode where you progress not just by driving the cars but also by managing your credits, tuning your car, buying new cars and by unlocking new content.
I wouldn't say GT Mode is carefully laid out of challenging. You can break open pretty much any GT game fairly easily. And GT5 didn't even make sense, "congrats on leveling up, you didn't get anything for, grind this race 6 times to unlock the next one"

Just like in an adventure or roleplaying game. You start with some poor character who has only dull fork as his weapon and the character is too weak to kill even drunk cats with it. But when you play the game you gain access to other equipment, different equipment and more challenging enemies. You won't kill 20 feet tall orc with that dull fork but if you have some wits and a cursed goblin eater sword and antipoison armor then you can do it. And having that progression is key element in the game. If for some money you could get access to all armors and weapons would it make the game better?
You can only say this because it's common. And people will agree with you because it's common. But RPG/adventure/whatever games don't need progression. And if they aren't fun without it then what happens at the end? Do you throw the game out?

I don't have anything against game mode where all content is available from the first moment. But make it a game mode and not a money grab.
Very much agreed.

"congrats on leveling up, you didn't get anything for, grind this race 6 times to unlock the next one"
Best effort yet at distilling GT5 Offline down into 1 sentence:tup:👍

Having all cars unlocked at the start is wrong in so many ways. I love GT because I have to grind my way through the game. Having all cars unlocked would just make the game worthless to me.

Simulators. A lot of simulators.

It's very easy to put into GT too.

Press start > select: A-Spec - single player mode with credits, Free mode - single player and online mode based around user creativity.
A lot of simulators do it for couple of different reasons. First of all there is almost no players who would want a career mode. People buy simulators mainly to drive and secondly to drive online. Secondly the game developer doesn't have the code or the resources to create a career mode. Lack of resources combined with nobody even wanting such game mode clearly makes it a nobrainer to not put any developer resources into coding that kind of thing.

For gt game I don't think it is just as simple to just put a free mode into the game with access to all content. I don't have any facts about if people buy gt games for the career mode but I'd like to think that is one of the key reasons why people buy and play gt games. Of course it could be just that the career mode is a relic from the late 90s when every racing game had to have a career mode to unlock the content. And we now just have to suffer through it in every early part of every gt game. I don't think I was suffering though, I usually don't play if I'm not having fun.

Maybe we play gt differently. I'd never want a career mode in my pc racing simulators I play. But for me one of the attractions in a gran turismo game is the career mode.

I see the opposite. Progression is a way to artificially extend the life of a game that is practically worthless. This doesn't mean that a game with progression is bad (GT5 was fun despite A-Spec), but if a game isn't fun without progression, it's probably a bad game. Afterall I always think that gameplay is the core of a game right?
Imho progression is the game. A game is a journey going through the road the developer has laid out. You learn, develop and branch out as you go and the deeper you go the more you unlock. It is not just the unlocking aspect that keeps you going but the journey itself. It is or should be fun to do it. I think progression adds to the experience, it makes the game deeper, more rewarding and more engaging to play. Of course it is not an absolutely mandatory part of a game. Card games for example work just fine without there being any kind of progression. Or racing sims.

Gameplay is of course the core but gameplay in gt5 was many things for many people. I don't want to imply that gt5 did a good job with the career mode but it was still very central aspect of the gameplay. Just like driving, photomode, car collecting and event completion was for others. And despite the obvious pitfalls of the career mode in gt5 I'm not really sure the game would automatically become better without it.

Maybe the credit based career mode is a relic from the past. Something that was a good idea back in the late 90s when everybody was doing it - maybe it doesn't provide the enjoyment in the game for the majority of the players who play gt games today? But it still has its place for offline use which is central aspect of gt5. I don't really see a fully open free for all game mode as a replacement for it. Nor I really see those two even being able to co-exist in one game because their goals are so contradictory.

In the end I just have hard time trying to imagine a gt game with engaging offline mode that has all content available. How to do it?

I wouldn't say GT Mode is carefully laid out of challenging. You can break open pretty much any GT game fairly easily. And GT5 didn't even make sense, "congrats on leveling up, you didn't get anything for, grind this race 6 times to unlock the next one"
I agree.

You can only say this because it's common. And people will agree with you because it's common. But RPG/adventure/whatever games don't need progression. And if they aren't fun without it then what happens at the end? Do you throw the game out?
The problem is imho that an rpg/adventure games without progression are static. Maybe I'm just old school but I've never seen progression in those type of games as something that makes the game less fun. Of course it is possible to make it badly, make it grindy and horribly repetitive experience. I'm a big fan of the old fallout and arcanum games. I think that without a doubt the progression in those games added to the experience and as a whole made the game better. And I also think without progression those games would be less fun...

What rpg doesn't have progression? How does it exactly work out? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Bleh, don't make me get all figurative here. The cars are "locked" in that you must have credits in order to "unlock" them.

But, I mean, what's the shortest amount of time that someone could possibly aquire all cars in GT5 in?

It would take a few days at the very least, of constant calculated playing. Paying for it to be all right there right away? Seconds.

A couple of days, are you kidding?

I wouldn't pay to unlock cars but I still think that all cars should be available in arcade mode or you should at least be able to "hire" cars

What is the point of playing GT Mode if you want to unlock everything straight away, taking away most of the single player fun from the game.

What is the point of playing GT Mode if you want to unlock everything straight away, taking away most of the single player fun from the game.
A growing number of players care nothing about GT Mode or anything to do with offline, me among them. If I never, ever race against AI or do a license test or anything else offline, I'll be extremely pleased:cheers::lol:. I don't think anyone would advocate getting ride of Career Mode for anyone, after all there is still a huge contingent of players that prefer offline. But advocating for multiple paths to proceed through this game is a no-brainer. The audience has grown up, the genre has changed dramatically with the advent of online competition. It's not 1998 anymore, the game needs a major redevelopment in terms of developing career paths in online and offline racing, and sandbox modes where all the cars are available if you just want to drive and race. None of these options need affect anyone else negatively if they are all just that...options.

I've never been able to understand why so many people have such a big problem with people having freedom to choose. Not only is it selfish, it is irrational.

I would argue that standards are crap anyway though. :lol:

I would prefer if cars had to be earned with credits but then aviable to buy when one had enough credits for it.

Also I prefer the single player posrtion of the game to be somewhat limited in what cars are to be used for races. I think most of GT 5 was really bad because it was pretty hard to find cars that where not totally overpowered or to slow for A spec races.

Each race in single player should have some restrictions where it should be harder and harder to progress. I wouldent mind to have some single player events that where pretty hard to complete.

Also I hope there are licenses that are mandatory to complete before one can buy some of the better cars.

No. Why pay for something I can get with a few hours on hand? That's for people who have no time fo that. As long as they don't pull a Forza I don't mind.

Plus I don't do much racing anymore, I prefer taking pictures.

I think that its great that we have the option now however, I more than likely wont be taking advantage of it. I prefer the challenge and satisfaction of earning and winning the cars. But for those that just cannot get past a certain goal or don't have the time, this is perfect for them.

Last edited:
Back