Would you prefer Gran Turismo 7 or an updated GT Sport for PS5?

• Thread starter Magog
  • 328 comments

GT7 or GT Sport?

• Total voters
They are at 500 cars now, half what Gt6 had and in high detail... if they had the same number of tracks GT6 had then that's enough.

Let's face it. The main thing that keeps GT Sport alive is the free content that it receives each month. Otherwise, the game would have been paltry in terms of popularity, in terms of how many people actually play it.

Yes, there are also the online GT events which many players follow but I'm not sure if it's enough to keep players in playing GT Sport, which I'm also assuming since others don't have any choice as GT Sport is the only available GT title for the console so far.

what i am saying is that whatever technical choices they have to make, they should consider allowing the new GT game to be run on PS4 too.

This is one of the reasons why I want the next game to be an exclusive to PS5.

Because if PD makes it cross-gen, that means we won't progress in terms of online gaming. By that I mean, we won't have larger grids, dynamic weather / tod, peak performance without frame drop issues, connection issues, etc.

I really want to have the experience of racing against 20+ other people online, with dynamic weather/tod and peak, stable performance. If the tire model and physics engine get an update, even better.

I think I've posted about this topic long ago here in gtp but unfortunately my wishes (for exclusivity) or concers (for cross-gen) are still the same, since we know nothing at all about the next GT.

Let's face it. The main thing that keeps GT Sport alive is the free content that it receives each month. Otherwise, the game would have been paltry in terms of popularity, in terms of how many people actually play it.

Just like any other game then.

Two years after release I’d say additional content is pretty necessary for a game to remain popular.
Of course but the nice thing about this game is that additional content are still being offered for free.

If they were charged, then a lot of players would have been disappointed unless they were cheap enough.

GT Sport Spec 2.0 at launch with cross-compatibility and continued updates until 2023, GT7 in 2022. Give PD a couple of years more to make something truly special.
What we need is GT7 game within the next 12 months and not 2022, because what we need is good offline content and GTS has not got that to keep players happy. By this time next year is the right time to get a new Racing game from PD.

Keep GT Sport going, make it cross platform and add new features.

It's doing well as a game as service title, and it gives fans a reason to buy a PS5 if they want the best version of it.

Of course but the nice thing about this game is that additional content are still being offered for free.

Finally now after receiving the paltry launch content two years ago, my $70 is finally getting recouped.

This DLC content isn’t ‘free’, it’s expected.

It has to be a good business decision on part of PD and Sony, my predictions about the next 5 years of GT are the following. Please note that this is just my opinion.

The next GT is most definitely not going to be an expansion/extension of GT Sport, it will be cross gen game and will be branded as a full GT game rather than an esport game (although it will feature the the sport mode as well but all cars might not be available in the sport mode and some graphical features, that effect gameplay, might be missing in the sport mode to make it backwards compatible with the PS4).

They will use the 100mn+ install base to generate sales of the game like they did with GT6. Although GT6 didn't do as well as other Full GT's, GT7 will be an easier sell because the game will run on both PS4 and PS5, so whenever you decide to buy a PS5, you get to play its version of GT7 for free. PD couldn't do that with GT6 as the PS3 and PS4 had completely different architectures. This time around, PS5 will have 100% support for the PS4 tech as the architecture and even the hardware vendor is the same as before.

As for the graphics, I wouldn't expect a massive leap for GT7. Just moving form 1080p to 4k (even with checkerboard upscaling) is going to take a chunk (probably 40-50%) of the 6-7x performance jump of the PS5 over the base PS4. Which means that PD will have around 2-2.5x gpu power over the base PS4. What I expect for GT7 on PS5 is 4k resolution, higher resolution textures, higher resolution shadows, higher resolution reflections with greater view distance, maybe some improvements in the trees and not much more. We might see dynamic TOD on tracks like Nurburgring and Le Mans. GT7 for PS5 will not use much of the ~3-3.5x power offered by the CPU.

The GT game after GT7 will release ~3-4 years into the PS5 lifecycle and will feature major changes in physics/sound/particle simulation utilizing the Zen2 CPU to the fullest. It's going to have dynamic TOD and weather but will see a downgrade in resolution much like GT6 over GT5.

GT games on PS5 might be marketed as having massive Ray Traced improvements but the actual ray tracing implementation will be very minimal and will rely much more on traditional methods as RDNA2 raytracing for PS5 will just be marketing fluff, it will technically have hardware accelerated ray tracing but these will be on the general purpose shaders and will not have die space allotted exclusively to raytracing. Raytracing is going to be just a massive waste of die space for a moderately sized APU die that's possible in a console budget. Ray Tracing will not be a mainstream thing until its at around 25 times performance offered by the 2080Ti and it's still atleast 2 console generations away for taking over a majority of the visualization from rasterization.

Finally now after receiving the paltry launch content two years ago, my $70 is finally getting recouped.

This DLC content isn’t ‘free’, it’s expected.
You see, I was talking about the usual cars or tracks added in each monthly update, not the Lewis Hamilton DLC released not more than 2 months ago. :rolleyes:

Yesterday was an eye opener. I decided to not take things too seriously and just have a little fun. Reliving my GT3 childhood -- I fired up the Viper, selected Laguna at Sunset, and for extra bonus points, fired up a GT3 playlist on Spotify; Holy 🤬 that was a good decision.

I spent 3-4 hours just endlessly lapping that combo with a smorgasbord of road cars, and I couldn't stop smiling. That was the GT I grew up with. I love GTSport, but I do admit it's much more serious than previous GT games. I'm always focused on Sports Mode and racing cars; I forgot about the rest of the game.

I'm now Team GT7. I want Sports mode to return (no doubt that it will) -- but give me the ability to buy parts, and customize cars. Have a gigantic GT mode with lots of rewards. I also really hope they get the chance to reintroduce some of the old GT soundtracks again.

I hope the content keeps getting added/updated! I till 2 months back was still enjoying GT6 on my PS3 due to the massive collection of cars & tracks. I was reluctant to upgrade to PS4 for GTS solely due to limited offline content that was there initially. With multiple patches, the game has become good as I love the new tracks that weren't there in GT6. I love the detailing of the cars & tracks as a whole. I'll be reluctant again to upgrade to PS5 for GT7. I know GT7 will be splendid but having to buy PS5 just for it won't make it ideal. Were it to release on PS4, I would buy it on the day of release without even blinking. Till then hope GTS keeps getting bigger & deeper.

You see, I was talking about the usual cars or tracks added in each monthly update, not the Lewis Hamilton DLC released not more than 2 months ago. :rolleyes:

I’m talking about the car and track updates should be expected. Pardon about the ‘DLC’ term confusion, but it’s all downloadable content anyway isn’t it?

The simple fact is the cars and tracks available at launch wasn’t worth $70. But that’s my fault for buying this at release. The people laughing all the way to the bank bought this for 20.

:rolleyes:

Kaz said you could call GT Sport GT7. I like it as a name rather than a number. If its going to get a number then GT8.

It has to be a good business decision on part of PD and Sony, my predictions about the next 5 years of GT are the following. Please note that this is just my opinion.

The next GT is most definitely not going to be an expansion/extension of GT Sport, it will be cross gen game and will be branded as a full GT game rather than an esport game (although it will feature the the sport mode as well but all cars might not be available in the sport mode and some graphical features, that effect gameplay, might be missing in the sport mode to make it backwards compatible with the PS4).

They will use the 100mn+ install base to generate sales of the game like they did with GT6. Although GT6 didn't do as well as other Full GT's, GT7 will be an easier sell because the game will run on both PS4 and PS5, so whenever you decide to buy a PS5, you get to play its version of GT7 for free. PD couldn't do that with GT6 as the PS3 and PS4 had completely different architectures. This time around, PS5 will have 100% support for the PS4 tech as the architecture and even the hardware vendor is the same as before.

As for the graphics, I wouldn't expect a massive leap for GT7. Just moving form 1080p to 4k (even with checkerboard upscaling) is going to take a chunk (probably 40-50%) of the 6-7x performance jump of the PS5 over the base PS4. Which means that PD will have around 2-2.5x gpu power over the base PS4. What I expect for GT7 on PS5 is 4k resolution, higher resolution textures, higher resolution shadows, higher resolution reflections with greater view distance, maybe some improvements in the trees and not much more. We might see dynamic TOD on tracks like Nurburgring and Le Mans. GT7 for PS5 will not use much of the ~3-3.5x power offered by the CPU.

The GT game after GT7 will release ~3-4 years into the PS5 lifecycle and will feature major changes in physics/sound/particle simulation utilizing the Zen2 CPU to the fullest. It's going to have dynamic TOD and weather but will see a downgrade in resolution much like GT6 over GT5.

GT games on PS5 might be marketed as having massive Ray Traced improvements but the actual ray tracing implementation will be very minimal and will rely much more on traditional methods as RDNA2 raytracing for PS5 will just be marketing fluff, it will technically have hardware accelerated ray tracing but these will be on the general purpose shaders and will not have die space allotted exclusively to raytracing. Raytracing is going to be just a massive waste of die space for a moderately sized APU die that's possible in a console budget. Ray Tracing will not be a mainstream thing until its at around 25 times performance offered by the 2080Ti and it's still atleast 2 console generations away for taking over a majority of the visualization from rasterization.

Thank you !
Exactly what I was thinking, but of course my lack of vocabulary and knowledge prevented me from being as detailed as you.

At least someone else here who understands.

Thanks for voicing your opinion, which I think is the most realistic.

Kaz said you could call GT Sport GT7. I like it as a name rather than a number. If its going to get a number then GT8.

He also went back on his words but of course, he didn't say any of it because why would he feel the need to disclose everything...

Dont always believe everything you read...
But learn to read between the lines...

Yesterday was an eye opener. I decided to not take things too seriously and just have a little fun. Reliving my GT3 childhood -- I fired up the Viper, selected Laguna at Sunset, and for extra bonus points, fired up a GT3 playlist on Spotify; Holy 🤬 that was a good decision.

I spent 3-4 hours just endlessly lapping that combo with a smorgasbord of road cars, and I couldn't stop smiling. That was the GT I grew up with. I love GTSport, but I do admit it's much more serious than previous GT games. I'm always focused on Sports Mode and racing cars; I forgot about the rest of the game.

I'm now Team GT7. I want Sports mode to return (no doubt that it will) -- but give me the ability to buy parts, and customize cars. Have a gigantic GT mode with lots of rewards. I also really hope they get the chance to reintroduce some of the old GT soundtracks again.
I'm sure those features can be added to GTSU. If PD can make cars from scratch converting a 4C to a full on GR.3 car, I'm sure they can program functions to add, delete, and allow players to build our own cars. I remember Kaz saying we could have the capability to build cars, when he talked about the Andretti race car coming to the game.

Add the better AI, classic tracks, add rewards cars after completing races, etc. It can all be done in a GTSU on PS5.

I think some also forget, every generation, not all players jump on a new GT and new console. I'm sure this Christmas, GTS and a PS4/PS4 Pro will be under someone's tree.
Look at it this way, if we could have GT1 updated on a PS5, wouldn't that be something? The same with GTS. Just update it with all those classic features and improvements for PS5.

Reports from Jason Schreier are all new PS5 exclusives will be just that. Exclusive to PS5. PD still have a fallback option to continue supporting GT Sport if GT7 is not ready for PS5’s launch.

I do think GT7 will be showcased at PS5’s reveal.

I’m talking about the car and track updates should be expected. Pardon about the ‘DLC’ term confusion, but it’s all downloadable content anyway isn’t it?

The simple fact is the cars and tracks available at launch wasn’t worth $70. But that’s my fault for buying this at release. The people laughing all the way to the bank bought this for 20.

:rolleyes:
Oh yeah, I get it. It isn't free at all, since you have to buy the game first before you can enjoy these DLCs. That's why some games like this are never advisable to bought in launch, you know.

Last edited:
Making a cross gen game next literally makes 0 sense

look at what nintendo did with Zelda BOTW at launch... playable on both Wii and Switch...

I uderstand the technical challenges facing PD & Kaz are far more superior to have a complex game like the big blockbuster that is the next GT to be playable on both PS4 and PS5...

i am not saying they have to do it...
but simply: i want Kaz to consider offereing us that option if it fit into the 5 year or even 10 year plan....

it is also based on Sony to see what their long term plan is in supporting the PS4.

this decision needs to b considered...

DONT ignore it or easily dismiss IT...

cross gen offering has the potential for large revenue for both Kaz and Sony... everyone win...

You are 110% right my friend about the N class and that is the biggest flaw in this game, at least it will not be in GT7 when it gets released as an PS5 title.
I hope it's not or I will be very upset.

look at what nintendo did with Zelda BOTW at launch... playable on both Wii and Switch...

That's a single player game. No one on the Wii U or the Switch felt they had to get less features because the game was cross gen.

If the next GT is not exclusive to PS5 but cross gen, it means the online, multi-player will stay as it is - no more than 16 cars on track, no dynamic tod / weather, no VR for sure, very limited night racing, among other things. And that's very disappointing, as I expect PD to make it happen on the PS5, since they said they couldn't make it on the PS4 due to hardware limitations and because they had a target of 60fps. That's why we have fixed times of day / weather with baked lighting. It looks gorgeous, but too static imo. Especially boring in longer races, practice sessions, where you're driving for a couple of hours and the track doesn't change a single pixel. It's like driving on a photograph, and not in a realistic, live track.

If it's cross gen, I don't see how the game can be significantly better on the PS5.

Dont always believe everything you read...
But learn to read between the lines...[/QUOTE]
OTE]
I did not read it. Heard Kaz say it.

Back