Would you prefer Gran Turismo 7 or an updated GT Sport for PS5?

• Thread starter Magog
  • 328 comments

GT7 or GT Sport?

• Total voters
Well they have traditionally done two titles per generation... with the ps4 being the most successful ever it does seem strange that there will only be one title and some would say, not a mainstream numbered title.

Welcome to the future. PS4 was the first console where the entire game was installed to the hard drive. As such there is no need for them to make two games for the same platform when they can just expand and improve the current one with updates. Essentially you are asking to pay twice for what you got by paying once.

Well the choice would be to stay with what you got if the content is essentially the same, granted if you dont care about the GFX improvements the PS5 will undoubtedly bring... IMO GT Sport is overall the best looking game of its type this gen. so they will need to be incredibly convincing to get me to upgrade to a PS5 if you're saying the content is the same accross gens.

If you're looking at the new Xbox Series X as an indicator of what next gen will cost then I'm 110% sure I dont want to buy in the first few years of this next gen.

Welcome to the future. PS4 was the first console where the entire game was installed to the hard drive. As such there is no need for them to make two games for the same platform when they can just expand and improve the current one with updates. Essentially you are asking to pay twice for what you got by paying once.

That´s was what i wrote in my opinion..., no more of 2 Tiltes per generation policy, most people don´t agree but for me i do prefer that PD could launch a new GT that takes advantage of all new hardware features and in the live cicle of ps5 PD could keep updating the game with new content.., a dynamic title that evolves and adapts overtime.

New title using ps5 hardware can bring things like.

Better physics and probably more detailed damage etc
Better graphics (imagine how replays will look like with HDR and Ray tracing)
A bigger GriD
Dynamic weather(we hope)
Faster navigation between menus..loadings etc
For control users the new ds5 will elevate the experience with the new triggers and a all new "vibratation" system.

These are just the things people will miss if PD for some reason launch a hybrid title wich in my opinion make no sense.
Opinions are opinions.., but PD can´t listen to fans in that aspect they just have to work to elevate the experience title after title for the sake of racing games and for us.

Gt sport is the hybrid title people are asking and like in past will someday be a part of..the past like any other title.

Last edited:
That´s was what i wrote in my opinion..., no more of 2 Tiltes per generation policy, most people don´t agree but for me i do prefer that PD could launch a new GT that takes advantage of all new hardware features and in the live cicle of ps5 PD could keep updating the game with new content.., a dynamic title that evolves and adapts overtime.

New title using ps5 hardware can bring things like.

Better physics and probably more detailed damage etc
Better graphics (imagine how replays will look like with HDR and Ray tracing)
A bigger GriD
Dynamic weather(we hope)
Faster navigation between menus..loadings etc
For control users the new ds5 will elevate the experience with the new triggers and a all new "vibratation" system.

These are just the things people will miss if PD for some reason launch a hybrid title wich in my opinion make no sense.
Opinions are opinions.., but PD can´t listen to fans in that aspect they just have to work to elevate the experience title after title for the sake of racing games and for us.

Gt sport is the hybrid title people are asking and like in past will someday be a part of..the past like any other title.

Take everything you say above, then add to what I am going to say next :
(Because I am in full agreement with you)

It seems you all are having a hard time understanding what I am trying to say for the past two pages...

You all keep on saying 2 games just because I mention 2 two consoles.

No no no. It's one game that can work on two consoles.

When The game is played on PS5, it will have everything that you wish for above in your post. No limitation. The fact that the game can also be played on PS4 will have No negative impact on the game that is designed specifically for the PS5.

When the disc is inserted into the PS4, the PS4 will know that it will have to dumb down the game in order to process it... But the player can still enjoy the same game than if it was played on or against the PS5.
Only some of the features will not work on the PS4 due to the hardware/software limitations compared to the awesomeness of the PS5.

What I keep on saying is: the release of the next GTgame should be made so that the most amount of people can enjoy it from the get go, no matter what console they have.

I should NOT be forced to buy the PS5 in order to play the next gen GT, if I can accept a compromised experience.

In recap, One Game with the following :

Feature 1 on PS5 : ON
Feature 1 on PS4 : ON

Feature 2 on PS5 : ON
feature 2 on PS4 : ON

Feature 3 on PS5 : ON
Feature 3 on PS4 : off

Feature 4 on PS5 : ON
Feature 4 on PS4 : ON but limited

Etc....

The point I am trying to make is:
The fact that the next GT game can be played on two consoles should not be grounds for it to be dumb down on or limited on features on the PS5...
The limitations should only be on the PS4 for people like myself who are not yet ready to upgrade...

But if you still want to play GTSport on your PS5, you may still do so due to the backward compatibility, so long as PD support it.

But the new GT game, whatever it WILL be and whatever features it may have, should be playable on both consoles, with the PS4 players heavily penalized for not upgrading, not the other way around ....

Edit: for those who wish to have a brand new GTSport on PS5, it is pretty idiotic since you will be able to play the current GTSport on PS5 anyways...

Consider this:
Kazunori Yamauchi told us last year that GT Sport‘s “Super Premium” car models were “over-specced”, and were constructed with the next PlayStation console in mind.

Source:
https://www.gtplanet.net/stunning-gran-turismo-8k-120fps-footage-revealed-at-industry-event/

Last edited:
I'm cleaning up arcade mode as we speak (238 races completed so far) and the AI is absolute rubbish, just like in previous GT games.
If they manage to improve the AI I would like to see a proper GT7, if they don't I'm happy with a GT Sport update.

The online portion of the game (daily races, time trials etc) is much more fun and much more intense than racing offline in a career mode.
They should however keep the driving licences and challenges, they were cool. Just get rid of the time penalties whenever the AI hits you.

I think a new title must be the way to go... However, if a new title drops, and the content level is a step back, or reduced from what we have in GT Sport, I probably won't buy it.

It seems you all are having a hard time understanding what I am trying to say for the past two pages...

When The game is played on PS5, it will have everything that you wish for above in your post. No limitation. The fact that the game can also be played on PS4 will have No negative impact on the game that is designed specifically for the PS5.

When the disc is inserted into the PS4, the PS4 will know that it will have to dumb down the game in order to process it... But the player can still enjoy the same game than if it was played on or against the PS5.
Only some of the features will not work on the PS4 due to the hardware/software limitations compared to the awesomeness of the PS5.

What I keep on saying is: the release of the next GTgame should be made so that the most amount of people can enjoy it from the get go, no matter what console they have.

I should NOT be forced to buy the PS5 in order to play the next gen GT, if I can accept a compromised experience.

Etc....

The fact that the next GT game can be played on two consoles should not be grounds for it to be dumb down on or limited on features on the PS5...
The limitations should only be on the PS4 for people like myself who are not yet ready to upgrade...

But if you still want to play GTSport on your PS5, you may still do so due to the backward compatibility, so long as PD support it.

But the new GT game, whatever it WILL be and whatever features it may have, should be playable on both consoles, with the PS4 players heavily penalized for not upgrading, not the other way around ....

Edit: for those who wish to have GTSport on PS5, it is pretty idiotic since you will be able to play the current GTSport on PS5 anyways...

Consider this:
Kazunori Yamauchi told us last year that GT Sport‘s “Super Premium” car models were “over-specced”, and were constructed with the next PlayStation console in mind.

Source:
https://www.gtplanet.net/stunning-gran-turismo-8k-120fps-footage-revealed-at-industry-event/

Sorry, but I still don’t see the point in developing the next GT for both consoles.

We wouldn’t be having this conversation at all if GTS released earlier in the PS4’s life cycle but I digress

Sorry, but I still don’t see the point in developing the next GT for both consoles.

We wouldn’t be having this conversation at all if GTS released earlier in the PS4’s life cycle but I digress

You do also have to take into consideration that GTS will be a 3 YEAR OLD game since release at the time of the new PS5 coming to market .

With Sony making the PS5 backwards compatible where you can still play your older games as a major selling point for the PS5 I do not see why Sony would also continue to develop the newer games designed to take advantage of the new consoles advanced computing power and technology with a dumbed downed version for an older console.

Sony not only wants to sell new games they also want people to replace their outdated console and to buy the new console. What better incentive than to make the newest games require the newest console?

You do also have to take into consideration that GTS will be a 3 YEAR OLD game since release at the time of the new PS5 coming to market .

With Sony making the PS5 backwards compatible where you can still play your older games as a major selling point for the PS5 I do not see why Sony would also continue to develop the newer games designed to take advantage of the new consoles advanced computing power and technology with a dumbed downed version for an older console.

Sony not only wants to sell new games they also want people to replace their outdated console and to buy the new console. What better incentive than to make the newest games require the newest console?

There FIFY:

What better incentive than to make people realize they can play the latest game in full glory by letting them test and sample the same game on an older gen console with less features?

Etc....

Edit: for those who wish to have GTSport on PS5, it is pretty idiotic since you will be able to play the current GTSport on PS5 anyways...

Consider this:

Source:

Here's what we're trying to tell you bud, what you are suggesting would require Polyphony to basically create 2 games at once when it already takes them a long time to make even one game. It is impossible with the limited manpower they have. The only thing that's easily portable between GT PS4 and GT PS5 is the car models because those are made with tessellation (as said by Kaz in your source. Kaz made no mention of tracks). The track assets are not made with tessellation, to bring them up to PS5 standards is going to require a lot of rework. And to make track assets only possible on PS5 would mean they would have to remake entirely new track assets for PS4. It's not a matter of a simple difference in resolution.

Let's take a look at a supposed feature list.

Feature 1 on PS5 : Ray-traced reflections for cars and water/rain, building windows, anything reflective.
Feature 1 on PS4 : Impossible on PS4, PD would have to go back and re-develop the assets to use an entirely different method to draw reflections using rasterization. It's already taking them forever to update tracks to have rain and reflective wet streets for GTSport (we've seen from the bugs that rain works for all tracks, it's just a matter of updating the visuals), and the majority of GTSport tracks are still missing rain. That alone tells you the huge amount of work involved.

Feature 2 on PS5 : Dynamic time and weather
feature 2 on PS4 : impossible on PS4, again PD would have to go back and wait for their rendering farm to bake the lighting as with GTSport rather than being able to use a fully dynamic lighting system in a supposed PS5 GT. They would essentially be doubling their workload again, wasting time creating the lighting using two different methods, one for PS4 and one for PS5. Track artists could be spending this time make more detailed tracks for PS5 or work on new tracks entirely.

Feature 3 on PS5 : Fully 3D trees and vegetation on all tracks
Feature 3 on PS4 : Again PD artists will have to go back and create entirely new vegetation assets using the single flat billboards method they currently use in GTSport. Per Kaz's statement, stuff like trees take a huge amount of work and effort and are one of the most difficult things to create

https://www.gtplanet.net/how-gran-turismo-is-made/

"Because of their natural complexity, the most difficult things to model in the environment are trees. Kazunori said it is a special field and requires a lot of creativity from the 3D artists; they have to make the trees as realistic and believable as possible without creating too much load on the console’s limited resources."

Feature 4 on PS5: Improved physics simulation that accounts for dynamic track temperatures and dynamic weather changes
Feature 4 on PS4: Not possible since it won't even have dynamic time or weather.

etc.

I see you bring up Zelda Breath of the Wild, but this is not the same case at all. Zelda Breath of the Wild was made first for Wii U and then ported in mid-development to Switch, it does not take full advantage of the Switch hardware. Also the Switch hardware is not that drastically more powerful than the Wii U, it's only like 1.75x the power of Wii U. PS5 is going to be 6-7x more powerful than the base PS4, a true generational leap.

Zelda BOTW is basically like GTSport ported over to PS5 with a resolution increase. If it was so easy to make a scaled back Wii U game without holding back the Switch version, then Luigi's Mansion 3 would have also been on Wii U instead of being Switch only.

Last edited:
What better incentive than to make people realize they can play the latest game in full glory by letting them test and sample the same game on an older gen console with less features?

Sort of difficult to pull off what you suggest when the majority of the new features "in full glory" will probably require the updated horsepower of the PS5 to implement or else we would have already seen the majority of the improvements they are capable of already in the PS4 version of the game updated to take advantage of the PS4 PRO and its added power over the standard PS4.

There does reach a point where a game studio figures that a game that sold for 60.00 U.S.D at launch 3 years ago has reached the end of its lifespan for new content and support and will only dedicate further efforts to the new game and in this case the newer more powerful gaming console.

Sort of difficult to pull off what you suggest when the majority of the new features "in full glory" will probably require the updated horsepower of the PS5 to implement or else we would have already seen the majority of the improvements they are capable of already in the PS4 version of the game updated to take advantage of the PS4 PRO and its added power over the standard PS4.

There does reach a point where a game studio figures that a game that sold for 60.00 U.S.D at launch 3 years ago has reached the end of its lifespan for new content and support and will only dedicate further efforts to the new game and in this case the newer more powerful gaming console.

From a business standpoint, I think that we both agree.

GTS has gone well beyond it's $60 worth.
I think I got it worth it despite the "lack" of contents and the little time I had to play with (compared to when I had with the previous GT games)

We all should be aware that PD and Kaz have been working on the next GT game on PS5 for the past 2 years already, if not more.

Sony and PD want the most people to jump on PS5 and hopefully thanks to a blockbuster such as the next GT game.

Realistically, with the massive recent sales of the PS4, it means that there will be a lot of people who will NOT be buying the PS5 right away.

Which means for PD that the next GT game will not be doing as well as previous releases...

I consider myself to be one the hardcore GT fans, and have always bought GT games in the first day...

Not so much with the next GT games on PS5.
I currently am NOT planning on buying either both the console PS5 and GT if they were to be released at the same time.
...unleSs it is also available on PS4.

If they put the effort in making a two-consoles game, if they succeed, they (Sony and PD) will get money both from PS5 early adopters and poor people like myself with PS4.

I will eventually buy the PS5.... BUT DEFINITELY NOT DURING THE FIRST 2 YEARS...

If money is really the bottom line for Sony
Then this is Something Sony need to ponder on...

A 2-console GT game release at PS5 release will generate more money than if the Next GT being exclusive to PS5.
... No matter how you cut the sales.

I can guarantee you that much.

Last edited:

Sony are trying to make money here

I will eventually buy the PS5.... BUT DEFINITELY NOT DURING THE FIRST 2 YEARS...

If money is really the bottom line for Sony
Then this is Something Sony need to ponder on...

A 2-console GT game release at PS5 release will generate more money than if the Next GT being exclusive to PS5.
... No matter how you cut the sales.

Basically as far as console prices usually they remain steady and the same within the first 50-60% of the consoles expected lifespan at a minimum so whether you buy it at release or wait two years means nothing really.

As a person that enjoys certain games I would not give up 2 years of enjoyment and playing time waiting to buy the next console personally.

Sony is in it for the money as well as all of the major game studios, not just those owned by Sony and the new console will be where all future game development will be focused.

Sony wants to sell the new consoles and retain the most market share as possible in the new market against its rivals such as X-BOX so that is where all the focus will be generated. Sony already won the current console war and will be looking to repeat with the PS5 console and they will do that with focusing the new games on the new console.

Also with Sony making the PS5 backwards compatible they have really made the new console more attractive as you can play your current library of games, buy older cheaper PS4 games that may interest you plus play the latest and greatest newest games on the market on one machine. That was one of the smartest moves they made concerning the new system is versatility towards the old and new.

There are a lot of good titles out on the PS4 now which will keep that a platform a good seller for Sony as the selling prices for both the console and the PS4 games continue to decrease attracting the portion of the market that does not want to invest as much or cannot afford to invest in the new platform.

But Sony is out to make money and the new system at release will be the future cash cow they focus on in my opinion.

Basically as far as console prices usually they remain steady and the same within the first 50-60% of the consoles expected lifespan at a minimum so whether you buy it at release or wait two years means nothing really.

As a person that enjoys certain games I would not give up 2 years of enjoyment and playing time waiting to buy the next console personally.

Sony is in it for the money as well as all of the major game studios, not just those owned by Sony and the new console will be where all future game development will be focused.

Sony wants to sell the new consoles and retain the most market share as possible in the new market against its rivals such as X-BOX so that is where all the focus will be generated. Sony already won the current console war and will be looking to repeat with the PS5 console and they will do that with focusing the new games on the new console.

Also with Sony making the PS5 backwards compatible they have really made the new console more attractive as you can play your current library of games, buy older cheaper PS4 games that may interest you plus play the latest and greatest newest games on the market on one machine. That was one of the smartest moves they made concerning the new system is versatility towards the old and new.

There are a lot of good titles out on the PS4 now which will keep that a platform a good seller for Sony as the selling prices for both the console and the PS4 games continue to decrease attracting the portion of the market that does not want to invest as much or cannot afford to invest in the new platform.

But Sony is out to make money and the new system at release will be the future cash cow they focus on in my opinion.

I have nothing against what you wrote here.

We are in agreement.

Personally, the reason I will not be buying the PS5 right away is because I just don't see (only from my own perspective) the need to buy another console at this point.

And no matter how great the next gT will be, I still will not buy it if it comes out any sooner than 2022.

I have YET to fully exploit the PS4.

That's just me, and Sony PD will not be losing money because of me alone.

I will continue to play GTS well beyond Sony and PD stop supporting it...

Although I already got my money's worth, but I feel like I haven't fully complete it to my satisfaction. I am at a point of my life when I always have a higher priority action to do rather playing video games.i

I just wish that the entry price to the next GT game wouldn't be as much as the next game AND the new console...

If the next GT games was available on PS4 too, no doubt I will give money to Sony and PD right away from the game's release day...

Destiny is all ... ;)

Last edited:
PD is not making 2 games for the same platform only 1 game, because GT Sport on PS5 along side GT7 on PS5 is going to be a backwards compatibility game that is from PS4.
I'm still wondering why some people still think GT Sport should be released again in the PS5 when it's given you could play it in the console via backwards compatibility.

I'm still wondering why some people still think GT Sport should be released again in the PS5 when it's given you could play it in the console via backwards compatibility.

I think you may have misunderstood these people.

I think what they want is a GT Sport 2.0 that would be exclusive to the PS5 with more features and contents but none of the old stuff like grinding and RPG single player mode...

This current version of GT Sport would still be playable on PS5 due to backward compatibility as you say, as long as Sony and PD continue to support it... But this has never been the question.

I think you may have misunderstood these people.

I think what they want is a GT Sport 2.0 that would be exclusive to the PS5 with more features and contents but none of the old stuff like grinding and RPG single player mode...

This current version of GT Sport would still be playable on PS5 due to backward compatibility as you say, as long as Sony and PD continue to support it... But this has never been the question.
But the thing is, it will conflict with the arrival of the next GT title.

I think they forget that PS5 is a backwards compatibility console, and when they here that PD has two racing games on the PS5 console, and they say why have two games for and just concentrate on GT Sport, which will be wrong for PD to do that on PS5.

We just want a Numbered game and GT Sport is not a numbered game.

While people including myself like to do the "two mainstream games for generation" thing... the reality is that GT6 was a title that was shoehorned into the end of the generation, while the Ps4 was being released (!!!) just so they could utilise the ps3 cell architecture game engine one more time before it gets thrown into the bin.

My understanding of the situation is that the ps3 cell game engine in gt5/6 was largely if not 100% discarded due to the fact that the ps4 is x86 and Cell is not...

So people will say that why didnt they make GT6 for PS4.

Well that's impossible.

PD took 4yrs to get GT5 ready for Ps3 (give or take).

PD took 3yrs to get GTSport ready for Ps4 (give or take).

I think they are burning the candle to get GT Sport II or whatever (?) as a console release title for Ps5.

I think they forget that PS5 is a backwards compatibility console, and when they here that PD has two racing games on the PS5 console, and they say why have two games for and just concentrate on GT Sport, which will be wrong for PD to do that on PS5.

We just want a Numbered game and GT Sport is not a numbered game.
Maybe the support for GT Sport will still be active when the time the PS5 comes out.

But the thing is, it will conflict with the arrival of the next GT title.

Unlike us, some other people just don't care how the next GT game will be called, and those same people (maybe you included as well) think that the next game should not include the old way of playing (namely single player RPG collecting cars mode), but rather prefer a second generation of eSport and "Sport".

I am not saying any of this is a bad thing (nor good), but I am just stating what others think...

As can be seen here even more :

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ombination-of-past-present-and-future.388477/

Personally I am still expecting a GT7.

Unlike us, some other people just don't care how the next GT game will be called, and those same people (maybe you included as well) think that the next game should not include the old way of playing (namely single player RPG collecting cars mode), but rather prefer a second generation of eSport and "Sport".

I am not saying any of this is a bad thing (nor good), but I am just stating what others think...

As can be seen here even more :

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ombination-of-past-present-and-future.388477/

Personally I am still expecting a GT7.
For me, GT is a personal game. I don't play much online at all with consoles so I can be happy with offline content.

The thing is, GT Sport focuses more in online aspect and probably that's a reason why some players didn't like it that much, me being included.

Well, whatever GT7 may be when it arrives, as long as it's better than GT Sport in several aspects or if it lives up to its own title, then I'd be happy.

Back