Would you rather?

• Thread starter motortrend
  • 22,046 comments
'05 Mercedes E55 AMG vs. '12 Charger SRT8: The Charger. At first I didn't like the way the car looked but the more I've seen them around the more I've grown to like them. The SRT version is pretty sweet too and sounds damn good.

'12 Challenger SRT8 392 vs. '02 Skyline GTR: The Challenger, I think it looks better despite being the size of a small moon. Also having a Challenger mean you wouldn't get every Japan fanboy in the world coming up to you and fawning over your car. Oh and the government would destroy the Skyline if I had it here, so that's pretty good incentive not to have one.

'12 Dart vs. '68 Dart: It would easily go the the '12 Dart. It would be more comfortable, nicer to drive and easier on fuel. Plus I am not a fan of old American muscle cars. I am also a huge fan of the new Dart, it's one of the most impressive things I've seen out of Chrysler in a long time and has pretty much won me back over to the brand.

'98-03 BMW M5 vs. '12 Mazdaspeed 3: The M5 would win here for me as I think it's one of the nicest BMW's out there in terms of looks. Plus Alex Roy set the record for the fastest time from New York to LA in one of them. Also I have a strong dislike of all things Mazda.

BMW 850 CSI vs. Nissan 370Z: The BMW wins out here for me again. I have wanted an 850 for as long as I can remember. Also not a Nissan.

'11 VW Polo vs 70's Z car: Probably the 70's Z car just because I think that era for Japanese cars was the best and offered some of the coolest cars. I'm not sure I'd want to live with the Z car though, the Polo would be better in everyday use...except when it was in the shop for an electrical problem.

'10 Hennessey Raptor vs. '12 Corvette Z06: The Raptor by a country mile. I love everything about the Raptor and with Hennessey kit on it, it'd be no slouch. Of course I'm basing this on the assumption the Raptor is already built and isn't sitting around Hennessey's garage somewhere. The Corvette is just rather meh to me, I can't get excited about them at all and I wouldn't ever want to own one.

Aston Cygnet vs. MINI Cooper JCW: The MINI. I have no idea what in the world the Cygnet is but all I know it's a Toyota iQ with an Aston grill on it, which is just awful. I can't imagine it is all that fun to drive either. I've drive JCW Cooper's in the past and they are extremely fun to drive. They aren't all that fast, but they stick like Velcro in the turns. Also looking at the Aston iQ I can't imagine you can fit anything in it at all, where the MINI has space to fit a fair amount of stuff.

'13 Focus ST vs. Alfa Brera: As much as I like the Alfa, the Focus would win out here for me. I know how the Focus drives and feels, and it fits me quite well. Throw another 90hp on the normal Focus and you got yourself a fun car that can also haul people and their crap. I would also have to imagine Ford Racing would come out with a bunch of goodies for the Focus too, so there's potential for an even slicker hot hatch.

'12 Toyota GT-86 vs. '06 Mazda MX-5: This one is difficult because I do not like either car. The MX-5 is way to bloated and the GT-86 seems like it's trying to hard. I guess if I needed to pick I'd go with the GT-86 just because it has more modern technology on it and I'm guessing would fastest around a track.

Honda CR-Z vs. BMW M Coupe: The BMW for no other reason than I've always liked the way they look. The CR-Z isn't bad though, but when the two are compared together is seems like the M would be the better choice of the two. I mean if you're going to have a sporty car with no interior room you might as well go with the one the is more sporty of the two.

I'd pick the Z4 as it has a roof, and the landcruiser because derp.
I think both the CRV and M coupe are ugly, so I'd go for the M coupe because RWD. I'd go for the 500E as it looks better and probably is a better car.
Aston over Audi easily, because RWD and I just don't like Audis.

Patrol vs. LandCruiser: Pretty much the Ford vs. Holden of fourbies. And in my family, it's always been the Patrol, apart from me being the oddball with Project Suzi.

Old Merc over New Merc because tank.

And S5 over Vanish because I don't like the look of the Aston. The S5 may look like any regular A5 but that's actually a good thing in this case; in my view its understated but very easy on the eyes.

To me this will be a interesting one as I'm looking at buying one of these two models later this year. So, tech-laden V6 AWD and DSG or tried and proven straight-6, RWD and manual?

2007 (MY08) Volkswagen Passat V6 DSG 4-Motion FSI: AU$17,000 - $25,000

105769604.jpg

2000-2002 BMW 330Ci 5-speed manual: AU$18,000 - $25,000

11892555.jpg

I would go with the bimmer there, sportier and classic good looks. I would, however, be careful with both of them since they are no sure thing reliability wise I think.
OK. What would the people of GTP prefer:
2012 Civic si (~23k)
01-2012-honda-civic.jpg

or
Your choice of NA/NB miata with the rest left over (nice amount ~$15k+) to spend on whatever you want with the car
ie: You can probably get a 1.8 NA, a nice roll bar/seats/belts , suspension, brakes, turbo kit and exhaust from flyin' miata and have some cash left over for a few set of tires and some nice wheels (Pic is of my cousin's car)
30256_390806713909_505768909_3938836_6361979_n.jpg

Everyone for the above one will 'just' answer the NA. :lol:

Above that, 330Ci. Looks like something that could be given a big engine mod to make truly fast :mischievous:

'07 VW Passat V6 4-Motion vs. 2000-2002 BMW 330Ci: I would easily take the BMW in this situation even if the coupe is not as useful for my needs with a car (no rear doors). A buddy of mine was recently looking for a BMW and we drove several 330ci's and they were excellent cars. The VW once again would have me concerned about the electrics.

12 Civic SI vs. 1st gen Miata: This is another tough once since I wouldn't want either car. I'd probably opt for the Civic though since it is going to be a more useful car.

-> I like this thread, I've read it post-by-post and heres what I've come up:

FR-S - NA1 NSX = I'd pick the NSX hands down. For some odd reason I really disliked the FR-S (not as much as the '12 Civic), its like a Toyota 86 with an outlet special tag onto it. IMHO eveything in the FR-S seems so wrong, I'd rather have the BRZ.

Evo X - C5 ZO6 (385 or 405?) = I've driven the Evo X GSR, I wasn't feeling any fun towards it. I'd take the ZO6 if its the 405hp version, if its the 385hp…ummmm I may think a little harder.

W211 E55 AMG - Charger SRT8 v2 = I'd rather not take both of them and take the G8 GXP instead (because M/T). But if I have no other choice; I'd take the SRT8, just because its easier to use everyday.

Challenger SRT8 392 - R34 GT-R = R34 for sure, just because of right-hand-drive, sorry for being childish. And even as a hi-po model, the Challenger is so 'not me'.

930 Carrera 3.2 - 996 Carrera = The more dangerous the better, so its the 930. I'll just keep it simple 'n clean. You can't go wrong with any classic porsche, less douchy too!

HSV GTS - E60 M5 = I'd rather pick 'the preffered hoonage weapon of choice', the HSV. Sure the M5 is perfection (based on my E39 experience), but fun factor is what I'm after.

Any S2K - ZZ231 Celica GTS = Lol wut!? (current owner of S2K)

GE WRX STI - 308 GTB = I am Proud of Boxer, so I'll take the STI easy. I'm aware of the nightmares of owning a not-so-epic Ferrari.

RS200 - urQuattro Sport = As epic the RS200 may be, I'd take the urQuattro. I can toss around with the Audi with less worries compared to the Euro-Ford.

new Dart - old Dart = Old Dart, I still have to experience the joys of owning a muscle car. But its 'been-there-done-that' on a boring econobox of a new sedan.

E39 M5 - MS3 v2 = Tough, tough picks mate! But I'd pick the epic M5 even if I dislike sedans in general. The art of driving is elevated in an E39 M5, the Mazda hatch can't deliver that well.

850 CSi - Z34 370Z = 850CSi, because pop-up headlamps. Just joking. The BMW is simply gorgeous of an art form, just add some wheels and a decent suspension, instant car meet topic. And the 370Z is everywhere now in Vegas...

Polo GTI - 240/260/280Z = I agree to the previous poster: 240Z > Polo GTI > 260/280Z. The thing is about the 240 is that its so easy to make them look very good, since there is the Devil Z…I'd turn mine into Angel Z. lol

Henny Raptor - C6 ZO6 = Another tough choice, if the Raptor is a stock 6.2L I'd pick the Raptor easily. But I'm not very keen to modded out-of-the-box Henny. So I'd pick the purest Vette, the C6 ZO6.

Cygnet - MINI S JCW = That is not a question, it more of a suggestion, I'd pick the JCW.

Focus ST - Brera 3.2 JTS = Modern Alfa's for some reason gives me a bad after-taste sometimes, so I'd pick the Focus ST.

GT 86 - NC MX5 = My question if the NC MX-5 is a hard top or a soft top? If its the hard top, it would be a tough one. But either way, aside from the BRZ, I'd pick the GT 86.

CR-Z - Z3 M Coupe = The CR-Z to me does not exist in my book. I'd pick the Clown Shoe (Z3 M-C) hands the freeaking down!

Z4 M Coupe - Z3 M Roadster = Its a matter of being the purest of the pure. I've driven the Z3 M-R, the chassis isn't as stiff as my S2K. So I'd pick the last M-powered I-6, the Z4 M-C.

L/C 80 - Patrol Safari = Lemme see; both are UN heroes, both can kick Grand Cherokee's and Discovery's to the groin, and both are as reliable as a Grand Canyon rock. I've seen and sat on the L/C 80 and the Patrol Safari (bubble-top) back in the Philippines and they were epic vehicles to behold, but if you ask me, I'd pick the L/C 80.

500 E - C350 Sport = I'd go for the 500 E, IMO the 500 is still the real definition of a Mercedes-Benz and a style to hold its own compared to the newer lameness.

Vanquish - S5 = Vanquish, all I need to do is the M/T conversion. And no (newer) Audi can deliver such magnificence.

Passat V6 DSG 4Mo - E46 330Ci 5MT = Although the E46 is the border-line between cool and douche. I'd still pick the E46. I've driven the E46 before and that car has that greatest balance of any car I've driven.

Civic Si - NA/NB Miata = Seriously!? I haaaated (Hammond speaking) the 9th-gen (or should I say 8.5-gen) Civic with a dire passion more than a Prius. No way in cold winter hell I'd pick the Civic. The Miata is 'always the answer' here.

-> How about this one:

Used 2010 Mazda RX-8 R3 USD$24K

2010-mazda-rx-8.jpg

New 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium USD$25K (est)

12-2013-subaru-brz-fd-opt.jpg

:)

Tough call this one. They're both remarkably similar. And I don't even care for the Subaru badge on the front of the BRZ because I could just buy it as an 86. So I think I'll have to say draw for this.

BRZ. Hands down. Though, I'd certainly be happy with both!

Here's one...

Nissan GT-R:
2012-nissan-gt-r-001_gallery_image_large.jpg

2012 model. Delivery miles.

Or...

Nissan Sentra XE (B14)
159569302_1998NissanSentra.jpg

1995 model. 128,000 miles.

Before you decide, in the passenger seat of the Sentra is...

6762_432_scarlett-johansson-vogue-TOP.jpg

Scarlett Johasson.

Passat vs 330ci
Civic vs Miata
RX8 vs BRZ
GT-R vs Scarlett Johansson (on the proviso that she'll definitely put out)

Here is a rather expensive one. Yes I know the SLR will likely be more expensive.

Mercedes SLS AMG
Mercedes_SLS_-AMG_Gullwing1.jpg

or

Mercedes SLR Mclaren
mercedes-benz-slr%20(2).jpg

That's a tough choice there, they are both great looking cars. As well as being good performance wise. Though I'm more a fan of gullwing doors over butterfly doors. So I would take the SLS.

I'd take the SLR. Some nice rims would finish off the mean look. The SLS... hmm... I used to like it, but over time my interest in it has gone. No, it's not because Jezza slagged it off on Top Gear lol. I lost interest way before that episode.

Passat vs 330i - Hmm.. Passat i suppose. It's probably more exclusive than the BMW's.
Civic vs MX-5 - MX-5. That Civic is one ugly looking thing. MX-5 less practical. But more fun.
GTR vs Sentra Johansson - GTR. GTR's much quieter and less expensive.
SLR Vs SLS - I'd have the SLR. I only like the back of the SLS. Rest of it's pretty ugly.

Easily GT-86, now that would be a different answer if it was either completely new and it was the sprinter trueno gt apex or just an AE86 with a hasselgren engine and a few other mods

I'd go for the SLR. That is my absolute favorite car ever.

And I'd go for the 86GT, since I'm not all into the whole Drifter-JDM scene.

I'd go for the GT86, since being a new car, it has niceties like comfy seats, a better stereo, nicer looks, and airbags. And I doubt that I'm ever going to be an amazing drifter, or if I will ever attempt drifting to begin with, so I think it'd be best to leave the AE86 for somebody who'd explore it's capabilities. :)

Now, here's a real tough one : Tata Nano or G-Wiz?

Tata-Nano-Official.jpg

electric-g-wiz-cars-for-sale.jpg

I'd probably take the AE86 because I love those cars anyway, and it'd make a good track day/show car.

As for the other one... probably the G-Wiz, because it's cuter! :P Although I would probably try to avoid both.

2012 GT-R vs. Sentra/Scarlett Johasson: The Sentra by a mile, I can't stand anything about the GT-R and would never want one, ever. And really, who'd give up Scarlett Johasson?

Mercedes SLS AMG vs. Mercedes SLR McLaren: The SLR for sure, I think the SLS is a stupid car. Plus the SLR has side exhaust which is always awesome.

GT86 vs. AE86: While I don't like the GT86 at all I'd definitely take one over the AE86 for the simple fact I wouldn't have Initial D fans fawning over my car.

Tata Nano vs. G-Wiz: The Nano since you could easily swap a Hayabusa engine in it and have one interesting little car.

BMW 330 over VW not even a question.
MX-5 over civic, because RWD and modding fun.
BRZ over RX-8, just think RX-8 are really ugly.
GTR over sentra, because I don't think it's worth the price difference even if she put out.
SLS over SLR, I think the SLR is the ugliest sports/super car ever.
GT86 costs about double the AE86, so that's not really a fair one. I'd take the GT86 and sell it to buy an AE86, then do that up with the money left over.
Tata nano over G-wiz, because it has a vent by the back wheel, it must be a beast.

Back