Would you welcome a clean driver rating in GT6?

Would you welcome a clean driver rating in GT6?

• Yes

Votes: 232 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 31 11.8%

• Total voters
Voted no, because I don't want my rating spoiled by someone crashing into me.
Certainly not by someone deliberately crashing into me for the sole purpose of spoiling my rating.

I don't think this would be an issue because you'd be running in lobbies mainly with other drivers with high rating. Good drivers would avoid rooms that don't restrict or limit the driver rating in some way. iRacing has already proven this can be effective. Random things will happen and we're all subject to that, but in the long run, the good drivers will shine through and the bad drivers will be relegated to rooms that only allow even the poorest of drivers to enter.

Hosts can only do so much and the good hosts will continue to do so but they can't see everything or believe everything they hear. The game needs to step up and take care of the more casual players that don't know any hosts yet and only venture online occasionaly, along with the rest of the hardcore guys that are on regularly. I see no downside to this at all.

Then there should be 2 types of lobbies, ranked (with ''clean rating'' activated) and normal (without ratings), it needs to stand out as an option in the ''create a room'' menu, maybe with an explanation too and it would have to be set to normal by default, this way, casuals won't even touch it. All we would have to do is activate it and combined with our favourite settings (no assists and sports tires) should be a pretty good combo to filter the ''casuals''.

Same would go for Matchmaking, 2 types...ranked and normal, it would be almost like COD where you have registered ''league players'' and the rest.

If all have a rating then the host could still have final say. It would be better than we have now, particularly for open lobbies and when new members join leagues etc.

It could also be used offline so that more contact in a spec races reduces payouts.

What about the new drivers? They are not dirty, just new. If they are relegated to only driving in rooms with other bad and dirty drivers they will never get better. How will they know not to just bang past people like the AI does if no one ever passes them cleanly?

Now I feel bad now about rating clean and dirty drivers. :guilty: I agree, a system like this won't be any good at all. :/
I don't say the system would be bad. I just wanted to say that people should stop literally using the term casual drivers as replacement for dirty drivers.
What about the new drivers? They are not dirty, just new. If they are relegated to only driving in rooms with other bad and dirty drivers they will never get better.
Ehm... are new drivers really not able to drive clean if they want to? I've seen many slow drivers who drove very respectful and cautious.
It's more a matter of self-disclipline.

I mean dirty and bad driving isn't necessarily the same. If you brake way too late and miss corners, crash into walls, etc isn't dirty nor will it normally give you an advantage. A clean driving system must be working well enough not to count such happenings.
How will they know not to just bang past people like the AI does if no one ever passes them cleanly?
Common sense perhaps? :boggled:

I like the idea of a clean driving system so long as it is reasonably accurate in picking up dirty tactics and doesn't penalize the victim

I know in the real world, some champions have raced a lot cleaner than others. Better than a safety rating, which I think can be useful to an extent, a much better damage model needs to be implemented for online racing.

Also I think it would help if there were a way to keep people from having multiple accounts.

I'm sorry but ''new'' does not mean ''dirty''. You can be a newbie but if you have common sense you'll know the difference, plus there's the offline portion of the game. This is how every single game out there works, you play the campaign/career mode first so you can learn the game mechanics and then you go online to test your skills.

With the idea I posted earlier, you would have the option to be clean/good driver or stay dirty/bad driver, nobody would be forcing anyone to play on one side because you could just choose between the 2 modes at anytime you'd like. Of course, if it happened to be the first time you choose to be clean, then you'll be matched up with drivers on the same level as you, with time your rating would rank up and you would be able to enter the higher tiers of drivers.

With GT, there are millions of players that would happily stay away from any ranking system, just play the game like they do on GT5, that instantly eliminates the squeakers, the trolls, the X1s and the RS tyres. Obviously, you would still have accidents from time to time but that kind of system would be a damn good place to start improving the online experience. It would also help the experienced players to have a laugh from time to time by turning it off without risking their ratings.

In the end it's all about options.

I don't say the system would be bad. I just wanted to say that people should stop literally using the term casual drivers as replacement for dirty drivers.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood, sorry. :P But yeah, you're indeed right. Dirty drivers are basically anyone who messes up at driving, casual drivers are beginners and are in no way dirty drivers at all.

I wish those people who said casual drivers are dirty drivers understood that...

I know in the real world, some champions have raced a lot cleaner than others. Better than a safety rating, which I think can be useful to an extent, a much better damage model needs to be implemented for online racing.

Also I think it would help if there were a way to keep people from having multiple accounts.
Damage model won't do anything, the majority doesn't use it anyway.

I'd be quite happy to see some kind of driver safety rating system added so long as it's optional. I also quite liked the iRacing rating system as others have mentioned, as a casual player I found it quite simple to use and easy to maintain a good rating without spending excessive amounts of time racing.

But then again I also appreciated the service for what it is and took it seriously even if I only spent a relatively casual amount of time online while my subscription was active, with Gran Turismo being much more of a "game" than iRacing is I can see some people having issues with that kind of rating system (but maybe that's the whole point of having it though, to separate the careful from the careless?).

It would be nice if PD does include something like that, but if they don't that's fine too. I do hope they at least make some serious improvements to the penalty system though, something with warnings, drive-thru penalties and instant DQ for ignoring them for too long perhaps.

This is how every single game out there works, you play the campaign/career mode first so you can learn the game mechanics and then you go online to test your skills.

Not really. You can learn online too. And it can be 1000 times more helpful since you can get feedback and adaptive lessons from other players.

Damage will never be popular in open lobbies. Very few people want to go online for a night of racing a few sprints, then get taken out of contention by incidental contact or contact that is no fault of their own. A better damage model might suit some leagues but even then, most guys enter league racing to race and have fun and it's not much fun for most people to have to pit and be out of contention for a race.

Not really. You can learn online too. And it can be 1000 times more helpful since you can get feedback and adaptive lessons from other players.

In GT, how are you supposed to go online first? you need cars that you are familiar with, basically the cars you've bought in GT Mode, remember, we are talking about the ''casuals'' here.

Exactly. I've learnt more about racecraft from racing online in a few months than I've done in years of playing GT offline. Driving in offline events doesn't really teach casual drivers how to push it to the limit, since most of the time casual drivers wouldn't spend the time to handicap themselves enough.

Last edited:
Dirty drivers are basically anyone who messes up at driving, casual drivers are beginners and are in no way dirty drivers at all.
Actually dirty drivers are not those who mess up at driving those are Bad Drivers or beginners.

Dirty drivers are those who try to use other cars for brakes, as a barrier to stay on the track, bump others off track, spin others out, cut corners and anything else of the sort.

Bad drivers simply do not drive very well and may sometime be mistaken as dirty drivers as they may by accident slam into other cars where dirty drivers do so on purpose.

Casual drivers are those who don't take it very seriously. They may be good or bad they may be clean or dirty, they may be beginners or they may have been playing racing games for many years.

I don't think this would be an issue because you'd be running in lobbies mainly with other drivers with high rating. Good drivers would avoid rooms that don't restrict or limit the driver rating in some way. iRacing has already proven this can be effective. Random things will happen and we're all subject to that, but in the long run, the good drivers will shine through and the bad drivers will be relegated to rooms that only allow even the poorest of drivers to enter.

Hosts can only do so much and the good hosts will continue to do so but they can't see everything or believe everything they hear. The game needs to step up and take care of the more casual players that don't know any hosts yet and only venture online occasionaly, along with the rest of the hardcore guys that are on regularly. I see no downside to this at all.

I agree with this on all fronts.

Also, as a rule of thumb, good drivers tend to be in less accidents than bad ones. Your rating is only going to be in the dumps if you're involved in a lot of accidents, but a few accidents caused by a few awful drivers isn't going to result in you being black-balled from online play with other drivers of your ability.

Actually dirty drivers are not those who mess up at driving those are Bad Drivers or beginners.

Dirty drivers are those who try to use other cars for brakes, as a barrier to stay on the track, bump others off track, spin others out, cut corners and anything else of the sort.

Bad drivers simply do not drive very well and may sometime be mistaken as dirty drivers as they may by accident slam into other cars where dirty drivers do so on purpose.

Casual drivers are those who don't take it very seriously. They may be good or bad they may be clean or dirty, they may be beginners or they may have been playing racing games for many years.

Yes, exactly.

Lol. I've been playing racing games for years, and I'm one of the casual drivers. :P Well written HBR. 👍

...This is how every single game out there works, you play the campaign/career mode first so you can learn the game mechanics and then you go online to test your skills. ...

Oh good god - you think after 15 years of Gran Turismo, people still need to play offline to learn the game's mechanics?

In GT, how are you supposed to go online first? you need cars that you are familiar with, basically the cars you've bought in GT Mode, remember, we are talking about the ''casuals'' here.

You don’t need to run multimillion credit cars online to have fun. You think the casual drivers are going to spend days grinding away to earn credits? A Civic or Integra is the most you need in most of the street car rooms. One of my favorite cars is the Focus ST-170 – certainly not an expensive car.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood, sorry. :P But yeah, you're indeed right. Dirty drivers are basically anyone who messes up at driving, casual drivers are beginners and are in no way dirty drivers at all.

I wish those people who said casual drivers are dirty drivers understood that...

Dirty drivers are skilled drivers that use their skills to knock others out of the way. Casual drivers may do the same thing, but it is by accident.

My point is no amount of programming for a rating system will be able to discern a driver's intent. EVER!

Dirty drivers are skilled drivers that use their skills to knock others out of the way. Casual drivers may do the same thing, but it is by accident.

Haha. :lol: That's me right there, smashing into other drivers in free run rooms by accident at times. ;)

My point is no amount of programming for a rating system will be able to discern a driver's intent. EVER!

Agreed. 👍

My thoughts:

A rating system based on how many times the player has been kicked from an online room.

This would need an option in the Kick function to identify reason for kicking. For instance;
1. Player being a complete imbecile
2. Player too much network lag
3. Player asleep etc.
4. {other}

Option 1. would count toward the rating.
The penalty could diminish over time, say 1 point per fortnight, to create a behavior bond.
This would give accurate human input and the ability to eventually have a clean slate, should you enter the room hosted by a belligerent kicker.

Bonus outcome; also the kicked player would receive an automated reason for kick.

My thoughts:

A rating system based on how many times the player has been kicked from an online room.

This would need an option in the Kick function to identify reason for kicking. For instance;
3. Player asleep etc.
4. {other}

The penalty could diminish over time, say 1 point per fortnight, to create a behavior bond.
This would give accurate human input and the ability to eventually have a clean slate, should you enter the room hosted by a belligerent kicker.

Bonus outcome; also the kicked player would receive an automated reason for kick.

Nope, too much potential for exploitation by petulant and childish players. Much more than any sort of clean driver rating, at least.

Example - I've been kicked simply for not budging when the room owner tries to ram me out of a race. Or giving the room owner any sort of criticism whatsoever.

My thoughts:

3. Player asleep etc.
4. {other}

More often than not kicks need to happen quickly. I don't have time to answer a bunch of questions. I have driven off track, and exited the race to kick them. My goal is to minimize the damage they are doing to the room.

If it is a network issue I will often send an email after and apologize, and tell them why.

If it was because they were dirty I normally don't, and they rarely ask why. If the do, I will reply to them if they ask civilly, but that is rare. Usually, if they reply, it is with a bunch of expletives, at that point I will usually just PSN block them, and be done with them.

Back