Would you welcome a clean driver rating in GT6?

Would you welcome a clean driver rating in GT6?

• Yes

Votes: 232 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 31 11.8%

• Total voters
If you get rammed by another car that's one collision for you.

Sounds great so far

Say that other car is a dirty racer, he'll probably crash into others as well. At the end of the race, most competitors will have been involved in a collision but the dirty racer will clearly stand out with multiple crashes. It shouldn't be too hard to create a system that recognizes players who crash more on average.

So what if you are in a 3 player race with 2 dirty drivers and they consistantly hit you, is that your driver rating down the drain? The system you outlined means your rating will depend on how dirty the drivers you race with are, if you race with guys constantly hitting you then no matter how clean you are your rating will suck.

The room host should kick dirty drivers, if he doesnt then change rooms or open a room, i race in a 2 tier league with 26 guys, they are clean drivers because if they arent we kick them out, simple.

I have my own driver rating system,
Clean drivers - " friend list "
Dirty drivers - " block list "

Last edited:
Sounds great so far

So what if you are in a 3 player race with 2 dirty drivers and they consistantly hit you, is that your driver rating down the drain? The system you outlined means your rating will depend on how dirty the drivers you race with are, if you race with guys constantly hitting you then no matter how clean you are your rating will suck.

The room host should kick dirty drivers, if he doesnt then change rooms or open a room, i race in a 2 tier league with 26 guys, they are clean drivers because if they arent we kick them out, simple.

I have my own driver rating system,
Clean drivers - " friend list "
Dirty drivers - " block list "

They'll probably hit each other as well then, so on average you couldn't draw conclusions from that single race. It's a system that'll require a larger sample of races before the rating starts to become meaningful.

The safety system works well in IRacing. Best on-line racing there is because of it.
But I don't think GT is the right game for something like that.

Yep, that's why there's a 'should there be a host rating system?' thread.

And yes, there should be.

The safety system works well in IRacing. Best on-line racing there is because of it.
But I don't think GT is the right game for something like that.

Yh exactly, IRacing costs a lot of money, so the people involved are all into motorsport and want to race correctly, GT6 on the other hand will have 12 year olds going backwards in X1's for at least the first 6 months.

And that will effect you how? You don't seem to be getting the point of them getting more collisions, whether it be intentional or not, more often then you. And because of that, they will suffer a bad rating, and you will not. Or at least, not as bad, depends depends. Not everyone is perfect.

And that will effect you how? You don't seem to be getting the point of them getting more collisions, whether it be intentional or not, more often then you. And because of that, they will suffer a bad rating, and you will not. Or at least, not as bad, depends depends. Not everyone is perfect.

Because "they" don't necessarily care about maintaining a clean driver rating and "they" probably rely on multiple accounts.

So if you're somebody who 'cares' about your rating, it's because you're trying to progress a specific online persona. And under this scheme, you'd be at a disadvantage.

This is why

Because "they" don't necessarily care about maintaining a clean driver rating and "they" probably rely on multiple accounts.

So if you're somebody who 'cares' about your rating, it's because you're trying to progress a specific online persona. And under this scheme, you'd be at a disadvantage.

You would be scared of going into random lobbies as only half the people would care what their rating was.

Last edited:
Yes, yes yes I would. Then we could drive with only those with a 3/5 star rating, ore even higher. Of course that would require the penalty system to be updated dramatically.

No more giving victims penalties if someone hits you 'just right'. No more penalties if someone rams you into someone in front of you. PD should basically use the GTP OLR Rules & Regulations as the basis for the clean driving rating.

I would welcome it, if nothing else just to weed out 'those' drivers.

Jerome

This is why

You would be scared of going into random lobbies as only half the people would care what their rating was.

:

I wouldn't mind a rating system. I remember in NFS Shift they had a rating system of precision and agression. If you were rated with precision, then it meant that you were a clean driver. If you were rated with aggression, it meant that you were a dirty driver.

I'd like to have it.
Question is how to implement it.. it is definitely not that simple.
For sure they should start working on the online penalty system

I wouldn't mind a rating system. I remember in NFS Shift they had a rating system of precision and agression. If you were rated with precision, then it meant that you were a clean driver. If you were rated with aggression, it meant that you were a dirty driver.

The idea in Shift was a decent one. Unfortunately, the way the points were weighted was such that you had to be UNBELIEVABLY aggressive to get even close to an aggressive rating. Like, full on 12 year old nerd rage on his fourth bottle of Coke aggressive.

But yes, a simple tracking of "clean" and "dirty" actions would be a good start.

I voted no, Chances are with the way PD would program it is other people causing accidents would likely ruin your rep, Not only that but I can't be the only GT player who prefers cars that are harder to drive, Something you can spin with even a slight loss of concentration, So by my logic I would end up with a bad rating.

Am I fast yeah pretty quick, Am I a clean driver well yes but we all have coming togethers, I could go on but will leave it there.

The only issue is that this would likely go with the penalty system and drivers would be considered dirty just by either hitting a wall or going off. Making tracks like Fuji unforgivable.

I voted no, Chances are with the way PD would program it is other people causing accidents would likely ruin your rep, Not only that but I can't be the only GT player who prefers cars that are harder to drive, Something you can spin with even a slight loss of concentration, So by my logic I would end up with a bad rating.

Am I fast yeah pretty quick, Am I a clean driver well yes but we all have coming togethers, I could go on but will leave it there.

Exactly.

I rarely go online, if there was rep, I would never go online (and I think thousands of others too).

Initially I was all for it, but then I started thinking. Where do you draw the line for dirty driving? Hitting someone is obvious, but what if you were brake tested? And what about swerving to hold your position? Or forcing someone off the track?
And what of single accidents? Would you be punished if you hit a wall all on your own?

The variables are too many to make even a decent implementation of such a proposed system. I voted no.

This would mean I won't be able to do "Dirty Nascar" races online. Noooo..

Although if you guys have done online Quick match races, you'll notice you get stupid penalties when other people hit you as well. If PD utilized this existing system to give driver rating, then everyone will be rated as a bad driver.

I would like it under one condition. Having an option to turn it off tracking in certain races. I race with a friend of mine occasionally in private rooms. He lives nearby, but sometimes it's just easier if we make our own room an race against each other one on one. We will nudge each other pretty hard sometimes. I'd hate to lose a rating point for having fun playing around here and there. Otherwise, I'd love this if it could be done right. Doubtful it can be though. Too many variables. Probably just better off saying clean driving in your room and kicking people who aren't.

Last edited:
Hmmm, an on/off button could work well infact. If the default setting is 'off', and you can specify when you create a race that 'driver rating is on', and by that mean that only when racing under those conditions, do you get ratings. In that way, the rate of the rating ( ;-) ) would be fairly slow, and only those confident enough that they would get positive ratings, would enter such a race.

It doesn't work that way and let me give you a simple example as to why. Let's say you are one of 10 drivers in a room. One doesn't care about being clean, the other 9 do. You have a 5 lap race and the dirty guy bounces off of you and 4 other guys and what happens? He gets 5 blemishes on his record, you get 1, and if the host is given the information that one driver had 5 marks on his record in one race, he boots him. 9 of you left, you all race clean for a few races and you have on incident in 40 laps, no big deal. Dirty guy goes to another lobby and does the same thing, 5 incidents and he gets kicked. It doesn't take too long before dirty guy has a terrible safety rating and then he can't get into lobbies because either PD allows host to implement a minimum safety rating and he can't enter, or he enters and the host sees how bad he is, and boots him before the race.

Yes, early on you will take some random hits, but the guys who are dirty and don't care will very quickly burn out and be gone, relegated to lobbies that have the "safety rating" turned off, aka, typical GT5/6 open lobbies. All the dirty drivers will congregate there and in that sense, the system ends up putting everyone where they want to be and belong, fairly quickly.

Maybe something more elaborate ?

This would require a big overhaul of the penalty system but that goes without saying.

What I have in mind is "Player Behavior" - a bit more information than simple star/whatever system.

How many wins per races entered ?

How many finished races ?

How many times player exceeded track limits ?

How many times player crashed into other player receiving a penalty ?

How many times someone received a penalty for crashing into the player ?

- back of the car (high amount of these could indicate deliberate action)
- side of the car
- front of the car while traveling in the opposite direction...

How many times player hit a wall in all-closed circuit ?

Based on these and possibly other statistics the system could label the players as :

Rookie, aggressive driving

Rookie, clean driving

Intermediate, clean driving

etc etc

Then we have three icons for each class displayed near the PSN username - those three then with 3 different colors representing the aggressiveness of the driver.

Blue - clean driver

Orange - mildly aggressive

Red - Aggressive

GT ranking all.png

Plus you can look up players behavioral statistics on their profile page - which wouldn't be mandatory for anyone to display publicly.

Maybe something more elaborate ?

This would require a big overhaul of the penalty system but that goes without saying.

What I have in mind is "Player Behavior" - a bit more information than simple star/whatever system.

How many wins per races entered ?

How many finished races ?

How many times player exceeded track limits ?

How many times player crashed into other player receiving a penalty ?

How many times someone received a penalty for crashing into the player ?

- back of the car (high amount of these could indicate deliberate action)
- side of the car
- front of the car while traveling in the opposite direction...

How many times player hit a wall in all-closed circuit ?
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/online-driver-rating-system.316969/

@JohnScoonsBeard you might want to include the link above in the OP.

I voted no, Chances are with the way PD would program it is other people causing accidents would likely ruin your rep...

This! If PD got it working properly then yes, but I doubt they could get it working so that good drivers aren't penalized. The penalties they already have are so broken it's not funny.

👍

VBR
This! If PD got it working properly then yes, but I doubt they could get it working so that good drivers aren't penalized. The penalties they already have are so broken it's not funny.
👍
The system doesn't have to be perfect for it to work. As explained here dirty drivers will burn themselves out very quickly, and either adapt or be relegated to unregulated rooms. I went though this in iRacing and in Grid Autosport and had no trouble keeping clean ratings after a few races under my belt, despite being sometimes surrounded by complete hacks in GAS and rookies in iRacing who barely had control of their car even with the best of intentions. You learn, you adapt, you avoid trouble, you build up a bank of good clean races basically driving exactly the way you advise in your Good Racecraft Guide and it works out over a few days.

You're right that PD probably won't get it right, in fact I don't think they even care about it at all so we're only being theoretical in discussing it anyway:eek: Given the QM setup and the typical racing quality you find there, I don't think trying to enforce "clean" racing is even on their radar:lol: The number of people actually interested in clean racing online is such a tiny, tiny minority of players that it's hardly worth wasting a minute's programming over.

Last edited:
Back