WRC 8: General Discussion (Release: september 2019)

No mention of total milage but it seems their 2 year break does the game well. I think I'll skip DR2 alltogether and go straight to WRC8. That's my current sentiment anyways.
CM has, in my opinion, botched the career mode completely and the reason why I never got DR2 in the first place. I'm hoping that WRC8 has enough depth to give it some longevity. Seems very promising and hopefully the executions is just as good as it sounds.

Last edited:
MXH
CM has, in my opinion, boteched the career mode completely and the reason why I never got DR2 in the first place. I'm hoping that WRC8 has enough depth to give it some longevity. Seems very promising and hopefully the executions is just as good as it sounds.

The same here. I really liked WRC7 and also DR1 but the way it currently goes down at Codies, is pretty terrible and the negativity surrounding the game (DR2) is enough to give it a big avoid. Even if the driving seems an improvement there is just a lot of other things just wrong with the game and you get that sentiment from almost everywhere where one reads.

I need to be patient until september and thinking about it there is a lot I can play without buying something new. Think that'll be the route I take for now 👍

Last edited:
I had to giggle as well when the presenter asked a couple of times how the tarmacphysics felt. That was definitely something they wanted to point out. No mention of total milage but it seems their 2 year break does the game well. I think I'll skip DR2 alltogether and go straight to WRC8. That's my current sentiment anyways.

Probably for the best. I was just getting into WRC7 when DR2.0 dropped. I spent 30 mins in DR2.0 before going back to WRC7 - DR2.0 just felt numb to me. DR2.0 has now been deleted to make space for other stuff and it's highly unlikely that it'll be reinstalled any time soon.

I’m excited for the dynamic weather, but realistic weather effects can be tricky. Don’t need the weather changing quickly just because it can. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I’m hoping for the best.

I like that the game was developed primarily with a wheel.

They really seem to have come a long way.

I had to giggle as well when the presenter asked a couple of times how the tarmacphysics felt. That was definitely something they wanted to point out. No mention of total milage but it seems their 2 year break does the game well. I think I'll skip DR2 alltogether and go straight to WRC8. That's my current sentiment anyways.

Did they mention a km figure?

I am thinking that by bringing back the lost stages from 6, re-using the ones from 7, plus a few new ones there could be 750+ km in the game.

And evidently Argentina and Germany are all new stages, as mentioned previously.

Best thing: stages from previous games won't be sold as DLC ;)

That's the main reason I've held off picking up DirtRally2. That and fact the feedback apparently needs patching. I'm loving playing through WRC7 just now & completely pumped for it's sequel. Not paying for previous tracks is something I'd normally take for granted rather than a selling point though!

Just a shame we're stuck at 30fps on consoles with this game. I still appreciate DR2s commitment to delivering 60fps. Also if they added a VR mode again for Dirt 2 like they had in Dirt then I'd be all over it for PSVR. But D2 seems to be a case of less is less sadly :(

Last edited:
I’m excited for the dynamic weather, but realistic weather effects can be tricky. Don’t need the weather changing quickly just because it can.

This. I am worried that because they have Dynamic weather we'll see the weather going from sunny to pouring rain every second stage or something ridiculous.

I hope not, but you never know.

Some good looking stuff in there. Still looks a bit hanky on the wheel but it is WIP so we'll see. 7 was unplayable on a wheel for me but was just about ok on a pad.

Keen to see how this one develops.

How can they make realistic physics if they don't real life experience or a real life rally car driver?

Some good looking stuff in there. Still looks a bit hanky on the wheel but it is WIP so we'll see. 7 was unplayable on a wheel for me but was just about ok on a pad.

Keen to see how this one develops.

Wow. With t300 was more than fine, weak FFB but way more playable than dirt1 for example. 540° all deafult, actually i do not even remember wheel options.

Wrc8 looks good, stage design Is brilliant. 14 official countries plus 1 for testing is a lot.

How can they make realistic physics if they don't real life experience or a real life rally car driver?
Mathematics and data. Experience or professional feedback doesn't exactly guarantee realistic handling anyway, though of course it can help.

Not that I'm claiming this game will deliver. I'm tentatively optimistic; I'll be happy if it's at least fun and intuitive enough, especially with incredible stages like the ones we've seen so far. :) What a gut-punch to Codemasters in terms of the breadth of content. :lol:

Wow. With t300 was more than fine, weak FFB but way more playable than dirt1 for example. 540° all deafult, actually i do not even remember wheel options.

Wrc8 looks good, stage design Is brilliant. 14 official countries plus 1 for testing is a lot.

There seems to be 2 sides of the fence with no inbetween. Those who thought it was excellent on a wheel and those who thought it was absolutely rubbish. No amount of tweaking or adjustments could get me anything that felt remotely playable on my G920. SLRE, DR1, Forza, pcars, all absolutely fine but WRC7 never feels good or right. Way too twitchy, too janky. If you have some settings for me to try I'm open to trying but for me it's definitely a gamepad game.

There seems to be 2 sides of the fence with no inbetween. Those who thought it was excellent on a wheel and those who thought it was absolutely rubbish. No amount of tweaking or adjustments could get me anything that felt remotely playable on my G920. SLRE, DR1, Forza, pcars, all absolutely fine but WRC7 never feels good or right. Way too twitchy, too janky. If you have some settings for me to try I'm open to trying but for me it's definitely a gamepad game.

WRC 7 was developed with Thrustmaster and seemingly they completely neglected other wheels. That's why there are mixed feelings regarding the FFB. I have a G29 and got it to feeling decent but I don't think you'll ever get it to good or excellent.

For now try my VR4 settings in the link below. I'll PM you my 7 settings when I find them.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-september-2018.376174/page-16#post-12664050

They have a close collaboration with TM. I think i was able to enjoy it due to to the fact i have a t300. I am not an expert of ffb but It can't be that bad of they run wrc esport events with It.

I am sorry but i do not have any setting to share, on PS4 options where basically non existent. It was all default.

I think it will be the sale for wrc8, you'd better wait for a demo or a real solid review on something different than a TM.

They have a close collaboration with TM. I think i was able to enjoy it due to to the fact i have a t300. I am sorry but i do not have any setting to share, on PS4 options where basically non existent. It was all default.

I think it will be the sale for wrc8, you'd better wait for a demo or a real solid review on something different than a TM.

One of the patches brought a slew of FFB adjustments. At launch it was, as you say, non-existent settings in config.

I still don't know how WRC8 is going to have realistic physics without the aid of a rally car driver. I can't shake the feeling that mathematics is not enough and they (=Kylotonn) need at least one real-life rally car driver to fine tune the physics.

Well Dirt 2 has john armstrong and...... Ye....
Is Ye.... a good rally driver?

Last edited:
This. I am worried that because they have Dynamic weather we'll see the weather going from sunny to pouring rain every second stage or something ridiculous.

I hope not, but you never know.

I think the real issue will be how fast the transition will happen, considering the lenght of the stages we will move from desert dry to mariana trench wet within 1 Mile and 5 seconds. As you Say i hope it won't happen every stage like dirt 2 where they have to showcase rain and night every damn stage.

I still don't know how WRC8 is going to have realistic physics without the aid of a rally car driver. I can't shake the feeling that mathematics is not enough and they (=Kylotonn) at least one real-life rally car driver to fine tune the physics.

Is Ye.... a good rally driver?

Imo all this driver consultancy is just marketing and paid reviews.

Hes not exactly a household name for the marketing so wouldn't carry much weight. Jon actually had a huge input into not only the handling but the pace notes, tyres and setups and surfaces. He was as much part of the dev team as anyone.

It's not like dirt 4 who had Kris Meeke (that was marketing) or other games namedropping big names to sell copies.

I see what @kikie is saying. I don't think its essential to have one but if you do look at the rally games that have had a consultant or big name tie in, they are far superior physics wise to the ones that don't.

I'm not sure about that. If the math is not entirely correct and a rally driver test the game, he can give information about the handling and stuff so the game developer can change the math to improve the physics.

I don't think it matters who is testing, as long as they do it properly. You could have Sebastian Loeb do just one run through a stage and give 5 mins of casual feedback, and they would still call it "developed in conjunction with Loeb". But of course it's not going to mean anything. On the other hand, the legendary RBR involved Richard Burns himself throughout the whole of the development stage, and it shows even today how good the driving is still.

IMO, the best feedback for simracing will always be given by simracers who goes on to race in real life (e.g. GT Academy drivers) OR real life racers who does lots of simracing regularly (e.g. Max Verstappen). The best simracer alone, does not have real life experience. The best real life drivers, will have difficulty translating their senses into a static cockpit and a screen. You need someone with lots of experience in both virtual and real environments, and able to translate between the two worlds. Having a physics/engineering degree will also help but I think that person would be impossible to find :P

I notice a few comments here relating to the use of esports gamers for feedback.

The dev team are using real rally drivers and gamer's to get feedback from both sides. Gamer's require visual and physical feedback that is different from real cars as they work more by feel, games are purely visual, a completely different experience. The wheel FFB offers the physical sensations but needs to be detailed enough to effectively communicate everything that is happening with the car. This is where sim racer theory gets mixed up with fact, in that sense no sim can ever keep everyone happy due to their personal perception of what any given car should feel like.

In this sense, the dev team are working to cover both bases to make a realistic experience that is intuitive for gamers and drivers alike.

Back