WRC 9 Coming in September 2020, Will Hit PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X Later

New video.
I like the graphics.
Sound wise is also good.
Let's hope the game comes out fine.

The Japan stages look excellent, as do the Kenya ones. I don’t intend on preordering or buying at launch however, want to make use of next gen and haven’t decided which console or go with yet.

I've pre-ordered for Xbox One X knowing it will be free for Xbox One Series X (SmartDelivery) however I'm curious about Playstation 5's joypad features and how well Kylotonn have taken advantage of them or not (i do not have a wheel for now). Not sure if there's any real/meaningful differences compared to a regular joypad or if it ends up being just "hype".

The graphics from the video above are from a PC. I doubt the current generation consoles look that good.

New video.
I like the graphics.
Sound wise is also good.
Let's hope the game comes out fine.

I was just going to post it, thinking after finding the new rallies in the videos i saw up to now a little bland, that this stage looks really cool design, for a tarmac stage especially too. Looks nice too, can't say if it sounds much better or looks more believable from that youtube vid for me though.

I've pre-ordered for Xbox One X knowing it will be free for Xbox One Series X (SmartDelivery) however I'm curious about Playstation 5's joypad features and how well Kylotonn have taken advantage of them or not (i do not have a wheel for now). Not sure if there's any real/meaningful differences compared to a regular joypad or if it ends up being just "hype".

The graphics from the video above are from a PC. I doubt the current generation consoles look that good.

There's a good chance it will be more than hype. The new haptic feedback replaces the traditional old school rumble so unless new games plan on having zero feedback then they will use it, I'm pretty sure KT have also confirmed they will use the adaptive triggers.

I made a long post in another thread about the intricacies and differences between old school runble and the new haptic technology. I'll paste it below.

The haptic feedback feature for example, is way more than a gimmick devs won't use. This effectively replaces the rumble motors. The rumble motors haven't really changed since the first dualshock, and amounts to not much more than a weighted piece of metal on the end of a rod, usually inside the grips.

Microsoft furthered this with their version of 'haptics'with the impulse triggers on the Xbkx One pad, however the haptics part was a bit misleading, while technically haptic feedback can include basic rumble, its not what haptic feedback is usually meant to describe. The impulse triggers were just smaller rumble motors of old located in the trigger area.

The haptic feedback being talked about with the PS5 controller, is a big step up from this, it can take many forms, lots of applications use small pads among other things to transmit it. A good example of modern haptic feedback is in the iPhone 8. The home button when the phone is turned off, isn't a button, its just recessed glass with a ring around it, it doesn't push or depress like a traditional button. When the phone is on however, it uses haptic feedback so that when you press the button, it clicks, or feels like it clicks, in an extremely convincing manner. A slightly less proniubced example while still using phones is the keyboard on my Galaxy Note 10, the haptic motor is a relatively small square pad but it can transmit its vibrations in very specific ways, I.e. when I'm typing on the keyboard, every keystroke has a tight vibration to replicate the press, but it pinpoints it to feel like each individual letter has its own touch feel, and the space bar has a slightly more powerful vibe. That kind of tight tactile feel can't be replicated with traditional rumble motors which just spin weights at different speeds.

So when they talk about the haptic feedback being able to recreate feeling texture and so on, its this extremely tight and responsive feedback that will achieve that. It will feel much more nuanced and reactive to your hand placement.

This is why this will be more than a gimmick, devs either use it or you don't get vibration feedback. And people love the controller feedback so it will be utilised. Granted to varying degrees but it will be used and will feel excellent.

I think this is how the adaptive triggers will work, haptic feedback can create a feeling of tension in extreme cases by creating extremely tight vibrations. Although this part remains to be seen.

I am a HUGE WRC fan, and although WRC 8 was a big improvement over 7 and the stage designs are amazing, the crash model and audio are pretty poor. Most of all, I just get so damn frustrated with the game's steering system. Most modern top level rally cars use 540° of lock to lock steering range. When I play WRC 8 with my wheel at 1:1 steering, the amount of steering input to maneuver the car is very small compared to reality and it always feels somewhat delayed, disconnected, and otherwise artificial no matter what I adjust. Just look at any driver POV gameplay compared to a real rally car and you can see how little steering input is required to maneuver in the game compared to reality. This looks to be relatively unchanged based on what I've seen for WRC 9 so far. Dirt Rally 2.0 has it spot on IMO and I enjoy this game so much more because if this. If anyone has any ideas on how to configure my DD1 for WRC 8/9, please let me know. This random link I chose shows some cockpit POV gameplay, the steering wheel never rotates past like 15° or 20° in either direction to maneuver this stage. I'm sorry, but that is nowhere near realistic and it ruins an otherwise good game IMO. (Jump forward to 0.44 sec)

Last edited:
I am a HUGE WRC fan, and although WRC 8 was a big improvement over 7 and the stage designs are amazing, the crash model and audio are pretty poor. Most of all, I just get so damn frustrated with the game's steering system. Most modern top level rally cars use 540° of lock to lock steering range. When I play WRC 8 with my wheel at 1:1 steering, the amount of steering input to maneuver the car is very small compared to reality and it always feels somewhat delayed, disconnected, and otherwise artificial no matter what I adjust. Just look at any driver POV gameplay compared to a real rally car and you can see how little steering input is required to maneuver in the game compared to reality. This looks to be relatively unchanged based on what I've seen for WRC 9 so far. Dirt Rally 2.0 has it spot on IMO and I enjoy this game so much more because if this. If anyone has any ideas on how to configure my DD1 for WRC 8/9, please let me know. This random link I chose shows some cockpit POV gameplay, the steering wheel never rotates past like 15° or 20° in either direction to maneuver this stage. I'm sorry, but that is nowhere near realistic and it ruins an otherwise good game IMO. (Jump forward to 0.44 sec)

I found with WRC 8 that the steering lock shown in car is always massively small in comparison to what I have to input with my wheel (T300). For me it’s an issue with the animations rather than the input.

I found with WRC 8 that the steering lock shown in car is always massively small in comparison to what I have to input with my wheel (T300). For me it’s an issue with the animations rather than the input.
Even if it was limited to just a simple graphics error, its still a really obvious and frankly stupid discrepancy to have in a game like this.

Even if it was limited to just a simple graphics error, its still a really obvious and frankly stupid discrepancy to have in a game like this.
Oh I agree, it’s just odd that the difference exists between wheels, but I do recall that Jimmy Broadbent could use his OWS with WRC 8 or 9, so may be wheel dependent.

Oh I agree, it’s just odd that the difference exists between wheels, but I do recall that Jimmy Broadbent could use his OWS with WRC 8 or 9, so may be wheel dependent.
I'll take some time this weekend to try and tune this out, but after mastering DR2 with countless hours of enjoyment, I just can't seem to get a similar steering setup or emersion from WRC 8 and it is so frustrating!! I have excellent hardware that cost me a small fortune too.

I'm really liking wrc8 now, just got it a couple of weeks ago, especially the modern stuff, tried wrc2 for now.
Maybe less the classic cars.

Really loving the wrc2 on dirt gravel with the g29. Tarmac is nice too, just most are less bumpy so they feel less fun a little, plus lot less sliding around.

One annoying thing i hope they fix is no intermittent wipers lol, surely these modern cars have this? Unless i don't notice how to, it doesn't seem you can in 8. It sounds like a small thing but i mean every 30secs your windshield needs wiping and to leave wipers on is as annoying too, especially in nice weather for nothing. I prefer use cockpit view..

And the replay controls could use a refresh, with having to hold r1 on the g29 for slowmo, and it's too slow, plus when you let go it goes back to running instead of pause.

The main thing for me i guess is the engine sounds in tv cam replay on some cars are pretty underwhelming.
But some sound cool enough like the i20, skoda..

Edit: well not just in replay, many cars sound pretty bad in cockpit too. Too bad, and doesn't seem like 9 really improves all that much on that contrary to what the dev said they'd do. The classics are the worse maybe for that, I'd probably go for the basic version when and if i get wrc9 down the road.

Edit: anyone know if there's a compatible handbrake hardware for the g29 and on ps4?

Last edited:
Looks like physics were improved a lot again from the comments in the videos. I've been waiting a whole year for WRC9 and looks like it was worth it. Super hyped for this one.

Yeah, loving we're gonna be getting a bunch of post-release content. Wonder how the Finland and Portugal remakes will be implemented though...

I should think they'll just replace what's there already. The old layouts won't be missed much, they've been around for a while now.

Should probably know better, but I preordered. Can’t resist trying the new locations.

In the meantime I’ll get geared up for the inevitable wheel settings adjustment process and will probably have that ironed out by the release of WRC 10.

Another hope (but not expecting anything) is the fixing of some crazy cockpit and dash views. The most recent WRC Ford comes to mind. It’s either sit in the back and look through a telescope or having your face smashed against the windshield.

Back