WSC VII - DrifterJoe, Snowcrash, Ford Champions!Finished 

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 2,073 comments
Seems like I have to paddle back a bit now.

Pitstop tyre bug allegedly fixed?
Endurance races with time limit?

If the whole online affair is more stable now as well, this might actually be a useful update. Why do I always have to get angry first before we get one of those...? :lol:

Does this mean we can go back to Racing Hards?

Why bother using racing hards? the Sports tyres have worked perfectly well in previous seasons.

Racing Hards are not slicks! I photomoded my GT40 MK I with those tires and there was a perfectly distinguishable tread! Therefore, why would you choose a lower grade of tire than the ones the cars are supposed to be racing with?
Racing Tires=tires meant for racing

Racing Hards are not slicks! I photomoded my GT40 MK I with those tires and there was a perfectly distinguishable tread! Therefore, why would you choose a lower grade of tire than the ones the cars are supposed to be racing with?
Racing Tires=tires meant for racing

That's probably because the GT40 is an old car which ran on treaded tires and PD haven't bothered to model slicks on it... Racing hards are definitely slicks haha. Plus the sports tires more closely resemble the tires the cars used IRL...

That's probably because the GT40 is an old car which ran on treaded tires and PD haven't bothered to model slicks on it... Racing hards are definitely slicks haha. Plus the sports tires more closely resemble the tires the cars used IRL...

I will test this theory on some of the other classic race cars.

Racing hards give you way too much grip (tyre grip in GT is too high generally). You can still pull 1+ lateral G on comfort softs (which are probably more like what they raced on back in the day, which were Goodyear Bluestreaks on the MKIV) in the MKIV.

Plus IMO the cars are actually harder to drive on racing tyres than sports/comforts. On sports/comforts the cars can be driven on the limit and any oversteer easily corrected due to its progressive nature. On racing tyres if you go even slightly over the line the car just snaps on you. No classic bias ply cornering.

Case in point, this video shows Alex Buncombe driving a GT40 right on the limit (I believe they had to run bias ply tyres at Goodwood) and see how much the car is moving around. I don't know about you but my cars don't handle like that with racing tyres in GT:

Last edited:
The Ferrari 250GTO comes with Comfort Softs from the dealership. Now, that can either be a mistake, or it reflects the grip of tyres back in the early 60's.

I also think Sports Soft are as grippy as we should go.

@RyanRacer

Racing tyres a no. We ran this series on RM and RH tyres originally, but found that SS was more realistic, and controllable. As alluded to above by likes of @snowgt and @FordMKIVJ5 , for example I remember running the Ford Mk IV on GT5 into Daytona Roads tricky turn 1. As you get on the gas, oversteer would happen, sudden and snappy. On sport softs it was a lot more progressive and easier to manage slides. Also worth noting GT takes tyre compunds as generic grip levels across cars. Size of tyre and construction individual to the car - a Toyota Celica 1600GT has same tyre grip properties on RS as a FGT or a RUF Yellow Bird.

Also as a tyre goes down in compound, it becomes more forgiving. The Cizeta V16T received a lot flack on GT6 for bad handling. Me and @Spurgy 777 tested at Daytona Road, and the Racing Soft car of Spurgy was HORRIBLE. Snap oversteering. I tried it on SS tyres and it was an absolutely fine charm.

Also less tyre wear =longer stints and it is an endurance series, not a Pirelli-shod F1 event.

Also worth noting that the pole time at Le Mans in 1967 was a 3:24.4 set by J6 and the fastest lap was a 3:23.6 set by both J7 and J8. With sport soft tyres in GT5 at Le Mans 2005 (no chicane) my fastest lap in the MKIV was a 3:30.521.

Bearing in mind that in 1967 IRL the track looked like this:
circuit-de-la-sarthe-1956-copy.jpg

Rather than this (minus chicanes on Mulsanne straight, obviously):
circuit-de-la-sarthe-2002-copy.jpg

We can conclude that even SS tyres on the MKIV have more grip than the real cars had. Having no Dunlop chicane and no Ford chicanes would account for around 10 seconds lap time at least, probably more like 15, not to mention the lack of Porsche curves. Slightly less sharp Mulsanne and Tertre Rouge would only account for about 1.5/2 seconds lap time extra on the 1967 track.

The only downside seems to be that you can't change the race finish delay, so you only get 15 seconds after someone has won.

Did you actually try that? Maybe it only finishes once everyone has passed start/finish for the first time after time has elapsed and therefore doesn't need a time-delay setting?

Did you actually try that? Maybe it only finishes once everyone has passed start/finish for the first time after time has elapsed and therefore doesn't need a time-delay setting?
It wouldn't let me use the time delay option in the settings, it was displayed as --.-- or something similar. It may well do what you said though, I ran a 10 minute race with only me in it.

Congratulations, you have justified the reasons for SS tires. I don't know what PD did wrong in order to make SS more
suitable than RH for these cars, after all, those are the tires they came with. The 250 GTO is a typo(which we have way too many of :banghead:) which may have been made like that in order to replicate the tires it had when not racing or something. But as usual, PD must have screwed up in some extremely strange way.

Congratulations, you have justified the reasons for SS tires. I don't know what PD did wrong in order to make SS more
suitable than RH for these cars, after all, those are the tires they came with. The 250 GTO is a typo(which we have way too many of :banghead:) which may have been made like that in order to replicate the tires it had when not racing or something. But as usual, PD must have screwed up in some extremely strange way.

Slicks do not work as they are too grippy. As I said, we don't have a "classic" tyre option. Ignoring that they have tread, in all honesty SH is more suitable.

Slicks do not work as they are too grippy. As I said, we don't have a "classic" tyre option. Ignoring that they have tread, in all honesty SH is more suitable.

There should be! So apparently now the car is better after pitstop. Will we all be forced to pit before we go green? Assuming this affects sport tires also.

There should be! So apparently now the car is better after pitstop. Will we all be forced to pit before we go green? Assuming this affects sport tires also.

You mean it fixed... so after a stop we won't have stupidly bad tyres.

Back