X1 Prototype- WOW!

GTP_GTPrologue5
None
As we all know by know, PD released special shots and in article in UK's Car magazine. The X1 comes with a 1,483hp gas turbine, CVT transmission, 545kg, just wow. And that striking look.

But does anyone think it's filler for them having to delay the game? :odd:

No because this was probably planned to be published anyway. Even for the Nov 2nd launch, the final build would have been in the hands of magazine reviewers around this time. It's not PD publishing this.

I cannot wait to drive the thing. However I sense after all lap records are dominated with tuned versions of this car (can i even call it that?), people will settle down into just doing the fastest laps WITOUT this car.

Reposting from the main page... Looks ridiculous!
Look at that backend! :eek:

red-bull-x1-prototype-front.jpg

red-bull-x1-prototype-side.jpg

red-bull-x1-prototype-rear.jpg

Changing tires on that car doesn't look very easy to do.

Not really surprised that it has elements taken from previously banned race cars.

It'll be like playing WipEout.

Just looking at the performance figures, a top speed under 250mph seems very conservative for something with so much power. I'd expect current F1 cars (with ~650bhp?) would top that if you gave them similar bodywork. Wonder how much downforce it generates at top speed? My guess: Lots.

It'll be like playing WipEout.

Just looking at the performance figures, a top speed under 250mph seems very conservative for something with so much power. I'd expect current F1 cars (with ~650bhp?) would top that if you gave them similar bodywork. Wonder how much downforce it generates at top speed? My guess: Lots.

It's all in the gearing. F1 cars could hit higher top speeds with different gearing, because they get to their current top speed really quickly. Same goes for this car I think. It sounds like it's gear limited to that top speed. Changing the gearing will be able to change this alot.

Is it a standard?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

That thing looks like it eats roads for breakfast.
I really hope we can't take this on a rally track that would be silly.

La Sarthe would be interesting though.
It's nice to have a standout machine but I hope their is a rival buried within GT.

The back reminds me of the Brabham fan car. :lol:

I'm almost certain that's the car which inspired Newey to include that fan, first race it entered it won by quite a margin and was immediately banned afterwards....
Nice nod to Gordon Murray too.:)

It's all in the gearing. F1 cars could hit higher top speeds with different gearing, because they get to their current top speed really quickly. Same goes for this car I think. It sounds like it's gear limited to that top speed. Changing the gearing will be able to change this alot.

It is actually the drag coefficient being so high because of all the downforce.

Well with 1483hp and at 545kg it should hit 60mph in about 0.6 seconds. So that should be fun to see!

Well, I doubt that. You simply wouldn't be able to develop enough traction from the tires to accelerate from a standing stop that quickly. But the acceleration from say, 150-kmh to 300-kmh is probably massive.

Can a driver even survive the amount of G forces that thing can pull in the corners? I wonder if the head of Red Bull would fund a project to create a real version of this. That'd be amazing and insane!

Can a driver even survive the amount of G forces that thing can pull in the corners? I wonder if the head of Red Bull would fund a project to create a real version of this. That'd be amazing and insane!
Yeah, that was the same thing that crossed my mind... with the HP, weight and "vacuum-cleaner" downforce levels, the lateral G must be ridiculous.

Seeing this materialize would be spectacular.

Yeah and the times better be 20 seconds faster because that gap will be lost in the pits when you have to change the tires! How the hell do you change the rears? Reedonquelous!

Former LeMans style cars, like Croup C racers had wheel covers as well, take a look at the Silk Cut Jaguar's of the early 90's and late 80's. I would think that a single body car would provide better aerodynamics. I guess not. I still the air flow would be better over a wheel's enclosed type of area over the sides. I think this is pretty slick though. Not the prettiest thing, but with a 'batmobile' engine (turbine) I think RPM's will be sky-high! and almost 1500hp is nuts. It'll definitely be one of the fastest if not the fastest car on the game.

Former LeMans style cars, like Croup C racers had wheel covers as well, take a look at the Silk Cut Jaguar's of the early 90's and late 80's. I would think that a single body car would provide better aerodynamics. I guess not. I still the air flow would be better over a wheel's enclosed type of area over the sides. I think this is pretty slick though. Not the prettiest thing, but with a 'batmobile' engine (turbine) I think RPM's will be sky-high! and almost 1500hp is nuts. It'll definitely be one of the fastest if not the fastest car on the game.

I know that, but I have never seen a wheel change with the covered rear wheels of Group C cars. If there is video on the Internet, I would love to see it.

I'd really love to know what the suspension type is on the X1. It would probably be a strange, futuristic design, built for something so extreme.

Back