X1 Prototype- WOW!

Look Familiar ?
designed for gt..whatever more like an F1 team doing what they do best "borrowing" someone elses design and adapting it.

skip to 3:10
this is from 2007 by the way

Last edited:
Don't care too much for the impressive topspeed ( although indeed impressive and no doubt enormous fun ) but with that CVT transmission coupled to that almost 1500 horsepower strong gas turbine engine and extremely low weight the constant level of acceleration must be insane.
Add that massive fan which sucks the air out from underneath the car creating in essence a vacuum underneath and therefore an enormous amount of grip.
Nice one Mr Newey.

0.jpg

so-much-win-face.png

Look Familiar ?
designed for gt..whatever more like an F1 team doing what they do best "borrowing" someone elses design and slighty changing it

this is from 2007 by the way

I know i've seen other drawings of cars that were similar to both, i just can't remember who produced them and where they were published.

Look Familiar.
designed for gt..whatever more like an F1 team doing what they do best "borrowing" someone elses design and adapting it.

The only reason the two cars look the same is because they were built for pretty much the same purpose, Caparo were trying to build the fastest road legal car possible (round a track), whilst red bull/GT are aiming for fastest race car.

Two cars built to achieve the same goal will, inevitably, look pretty similar to each other (in most scenarios anyway).

Last edited:
It is actually the drag coefficient being so high because of all the downforce.

It's a combination of the Cd vs. engine power. With 1500hp, this thing will overcome drag alot better than other cars. If Cd was the ONLY factor, other cars and planes would not be able to go as fast as they have.

hate hate hate. there's a reason why things "look" the same and unless there is a design better than what's out there, feel free to share it. Aerodynamics is a black art more than a science.

Please, can someone explain to me how a car with a turbine is RWD and has a variable transmission????

Just a quote from wikipedia:

All jet engines are reaction engines that generate thrust by emitting a jet of fluid rearwards at relatively high speed. The forces on the inside of the engine needed to create this jet give a strong thrust on the engine which pushes the craft forwards.

Look Familiar ?
designed for gt..whatever more like an F1 team doing what they do best "borrowing" someone elses design and slighty changing it

Ever heard of the term 'form following function', this isn't a styling exercise but probably the most efficient and functional design Newey could come up with within the goal set for the ultimate racecar.
If he would have changed those details which resemble the Caparo T1 ( which arrived at that particular shape for mostly the same reasons I guess but within more strict limitations ) he would have compromised the actual design and wouldn't have been doing his job as an aerodynamicist but would have become a stylist.

That both cars tend to share similar features has probably more to do with both being designed without consideration of appearance ( which arrived as a consequence not a deliberate goal ) and the rules of aerodynamics, physics and the current understanding of these sciences and the way to incorporate all these elements the most efficient.

Coincidence therefore, or arriving at the same conclusions, not simply copying.
Why would he? He had a clean sheet and could've created anything he wanted, he chose to apply his knowledge and knowhow the best way he could.

Please, can someone explain to me how a car with a turbine is RWD and has a variable transmission????

I don't have much knowledge on the subject, however I believe that the turbines are used to bring power to the wheels in the same way that a normal car would. the only major difference being the way that the power is created. I doubt this car actually uses 'jet propulsion' as such. (Although having looked again at images of the back of the car, it does actually appear that way).

I don't have much knowledge on the subject, however I believe that the turbines are used to bring power to the wheels in the same way that a normal car would. the only major difference being the way that the power is created. I doubt this car actually uses 'jet propulsion' as such. (Although having looked again at images of the back of the car, it does actually appear that way).

That is the only reasonable explanation, but I've never heard of a car that uses a turbine in that way.

I wonder if it is designed to "run" with tires of some compound better than the one used for F1

ATM they're only changing the tyres because the rules state they have to, Vettel ran the whole race at Monza on the soft tyres and only pitted at the start of his last lap because of the two compound rule.

As for the OP, isn't there something in GT PSP describing this red bull car?

I'm not sure why the turbine would power the wheels through a transmission either. That's like airplanes being driven on the ground by the turbines connected to the wheels.

Woah! 2.7hp/kilo and 2500+hp horsepower per tonne! It simply makes the Bugatti Veyron look puny. (Yay, first mention of 'Bugatti'!)

Last edited:
Ya I was just going to say, 2721.1 hp/ton!!! In relation, a Veyron is about 500 hp/ton, and the new Ariel Atom V8 is 1000 hp/ton. This thing is ridiculous.

If you want to know how it wworks, look at the M1 Abrams tank. It's powered by a gas turbine as well.
I don't know how it works exactly, but the tank isn't being pushed forward by jet propulsion, that's for sure :dopey:

Because it's a gas turbine not a Jet propulsion engine. Same as a helicopter. CVT will just mean it has power low down.

I wonder if it is designed to "run" with tires of some compound better than the one used for F1
I don't think there are compounds better than the ones used in F1, those tires last forever and never seem to loose any amount of grip.

As for the X1, all I have to say is the words I expressed when I first saw it would show as a long line of asterisks on here.

...And then we come to tyre wear. With epic downforce (hopefully), massive acceleration and 1000hp strain on the rear wheels, I'd be amazed if it can run one lap of the 'Ring without losing total grip.

:(

Am I the only one who wouldnt of minded not knowing about this car!?

Are there going to be any surprises at all when the game comes out now?

The gas turbine drives a driveshaft, like gas turbine generators in power stations which drive the electricity generators. They're not much good with variable rpm so a CVT has to be used to keep the turbine at it's constant peak performance rpm while the car accelerates and decelerates instead of having to go through a range of rpm for each gear.

Another concept is an electric car that generates it's electricity using gas turbines:

http://www.0-60mag.com/news/2010/09/cars-jaguar-c-x75/

Back