• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 305 comments

X2014 Good, or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 243 61.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 151 38.3%

• Total voters
If you take 1980s technology and apply 2010s know-how it's not too difficult to see that the X-cars performance figures are plausible if the cars were ever made.
Hmmm, big power turbo engines with lag - doesn't sound like the optimum technology to get X-car level of performance to me. Modern technology would be superior in producing high power levels but coupled with better response.

I don't understand the purpose of your reply to that section of my post. You've basically repeated the obvious in saying that 1980s turbo engine technology is out-dated and "modern" 2010s technology is the way to go if anyone ever tried to build a car with the X-cars stated performance figures.

I don't understand the purpose of your reply to that section of my post. You've basically repeated the obvious in saying that 1980s turbo engine technology is out-dated and "modern" 2010s technology is the way to go if anyone ever tried to build a car with the X-cars stated performance figures.

I'm simply stating that your argument for 1980's technology paired with modern know-how doesn't really stack up.

I was trying to say that old turbo technologies wouldn't even be in the picture with regard to reaching high power figures. Forced induction is certainly the way to do it - but definitely not taking 1980's technology. Hope that clears it up for you.

I'm simply stating that your argument for 1980's technology paired with modern know-how doesn't really stack up.

I was trying to say that old turbo technologies wouldn't even be in the picture with regard to reaching high power figures. Forced induction is certainly the way to do it - but definitely not taking 1980's technology. Hope that clears it up for you.

For the purposes of the discussion re: X-cars existing/not existing today; the "1980s tech with a 2010s interpretation" argument does stack up.

The X-cars are just an example of what the pinnacle of motorsport could've been had rules and regulations not been implemented on any racing series. Turbo technology was banned from Formula One after the 1988 season. Had they not been banned it's not too far-fetched to see that a 1500bhp turbocharged V6 without turbo lag that can reliably finish a Grand Prix could exist today given that engine manufacturers would have had 20 years to pour billions into the technology's development.

The hypothesised powertrain of the X-cars are actually conservative considering nobody really knows what direction engine development would have gone and how much performance their creations would have developed had engine builders been given free reign between the 1980s and now.

Latest Posts

Back