XLink proper setup tutorial. (GT4 Online Mode)

• Thread starter MortICi
  • 123 comments
ok i think i've solved a common problem.

of all the people who are having problems. How many have verizon or bell south dsl? i just realized the modem "westell 2200" is a modem and router in one. i had the modem hooked up then a netgear router installed. on the netgear router i had the ports forwarded but didn't realize the westell is a router too. it is blocking the ports b4 they reach the netgear router. i stumbled across the solution when i was trying to double check my netgear router settings and typed 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1

the westell router page came up and that's when i realized it was a router not just a modem.

This could be the problem for people on verizon's service. They would have to forward the ports on BOTH the westell modem/router and their other router.

Hope this helps. I apologize to those who i said were scamming us saying it could work. but it was when i was so angry that i mistyped the ip addy of my router and discovered this.

Savanna
My friend and myself are both on Charter Cable. Both Linksys routers to.

Same settings for both.

You both have to reset your kai and ps2, then create an arena. One person has to have theirs set to host and the other to play.

The player thats just joining goes first once he reaches the waiting for connection screen the host connects as well and all should work fine. As i stated in my first post.

Note as i said before it has to be done in that order, you can't be in the wfc screen untill your both in your private arena are ready to start the connect process.

Yeah, we are doing it just as you have said in the first post except tracks since it doesn't allow either of use to select all the tracks.

would anyone like to make a diagram in paint or something whit how all the wires and what not are hooked up.. naming each wires and thing so i know exaclty how to do this.. im not familiar with networking things...

peoples
when you want 6 players, do you have to change anything in the setting? Monitors?

For six player game you need a fat ****ing upstream were talking about a server station upstream

Basically think of a T3 connection down stream and reverse that to an up stream, that is if you want a lag free game. I have yet to get a 4 player game going 3 players worked but laggy like i stated before. However i think a 6 player game is possible if all the ppl have a <5ms ping (basically a lan) which is impossible as far as i know over a WAN connection......

Thats as far as my knowledge goes.

KSaiyu
To people who've played on it, do you think it's worth buying a cheap router for?

YOU DONT NEED A ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

second ethernet card : 10$ max
crossover cable : 5$ ?

thats all you need

at MortICI: japanese people have had 6 player lagless races. Granted, they are all close to eachother and usually have pretty good connections, but the specs you're proposing for lagless 6 player are way over the top.
say you have 6 players in newyork, who are on the same broadband isp, well in those curcomstances chances would be good for 6 players.

MortICi
Xlink Kai

A PS2

A network adapter for your PS2 -

A CAT 5 cable

A router

A Computer

An internet Connection (Cable or higher)

GT4

And some basic networking knowledge.

A network adapter for your PS2 - Whats this, where can i get it and how much does it cost? (specific brand and model name please)

A CAT 5 cable - What is this, what does it look like, where can I get it and how much does it cost?

A router - Please be specific on what it looks like, how many ports it has. (Specific Brand and Model name please)

A Computer - what kind of things do I need for a computer? I know (XLink), but is there any hardware, cards, or adapter type things I need?

btw I have an Original PS2, do i need anything else special?

exhaust_note
A network adapter for your PS2 - Whats this, where can i get it and how much does it cost? (specific brand and model name please)

A CAT 5 cable - What is this, what does it look like, where can I get it and how much does it cost?

A router - Please be specific on what it looks like, how many ports it has. (Specific Brand and Model name please)

A Computer - what kind of things do I need for a computer? I know (XLink), but is there any hardware, cards, or adapter type things I need?

btw I have an Original PS2, do i need anything else special?

The network adapter is 49.99 i think for the ps2 you can find it at any gamestop/eb games. The cat5 cable is a lan cable that hooks up to a router/cable modem/nic card. As for a router any Netgear/Linksys/D-Link wireless or non wireless router will do the trick. All you need is a network card in your pc and all should be fine as well as a broadband connection.

Hajaz
YOU DONT NEED A ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

second ethernet card : 10$ max
crossover cable : 5$ ?

thats all you need

at MortICI: japanese people have had 6 player lagless races. Granted, they are all close to eachother and usually have pretty good connections, but the specs you're proposing for lagless 6 player are way over the top.
say you have 6 players in newyork, who are on the same broadband isp, well in those curcomstances chances would be good for 6 players.

Like you stated CLOSE to each other. That means that they could of lived right next to eachother. So finding random ppl that live that close to you would be great but it's more fun to play agains't somone a few states away from you. And my presumptions for the speed needed to get a WAN 6 player game going are not high at all it sounds about right if you ask me. But like i said it's just my knowledge.

I think it has to do with the how clear your connection is, and how bad your packet losses are. Just make sure that who ever you are connected to checks their speed of upload and download transfers, im running 574 down and 372 upload, on a line provisioned for 1.5 Mbit, and i get good clean play on my xbox, but i haven't tested PS2 yet, will try later on today.

Is there any disadvantages to using a switch instead of a 2nd NIC card, as it sounds simpler to install with my limited networking knowledge.

KSaiyu
Is there any disadvantages to using a switch instead of a 2nd NIC card, as it sounds simpler to install with my limited networking knowledge.

Not really all methods work as long as you have some way of communicating with the pc throught the network cables.

Probably the worst the new folks are doing is joining a test arena with the Waiting for connection screen (WFC)

Ive tried to help out folks, but man they havent read the steps for proper connection.
Also ive ran into folks whose other family members are downloading while they try to play.
Pings are nice at 50ms then they go through the roof 300ms back and forth. ;)

suomy
Probably the worst the new folks are doing is joining a test arena with the Waiting for connection screen (WFC)

Ive tried to help out folks, but man they havent read the steps for proper connection.
Also ive ran into folks whose other family members are downloading while they try to play.
Pings are nice at 50ms then they go through the roof 300ms back and forth. ;)

First time i went in there i did the same thing lol. What can you do. I noticed the ppl with the jumpy pings too i dont understand their logic in downloading and playing an online game at the same time......

MortICi
The network adapter is 49.99 i think for the ps2 you can find it at any gamestop/eb games. The cat5 cable is a lan cable that hooks up to a router/cable modem/nic card. As for a router any Netgear/Linksys/D-Link wireless or non wireless router will do the trick. All you need is a network card in your pc and all should be fine as well as a broadband connection.

im going out and buying this stuff today... how do i hook it all up??

Ok newbie here on this Whole xlink thing...
tried looking for the FAQ on setting up Xlink.. I can't find that~

Then I went to xlink Kai's site and its a software? am I getting this strait? If so... I download to PC? how does that relate to the PS2?

Please help me here... thanks

wdrx02
Ok newbie here on this Whole xlink thing...
tried looking for the FAQ on setting up Xlink.. I can't find that~

Then I went to xlink Kai's site and its a software? am I getting this strait? If so... I download to PC? how does that relate to the PS2?

Please help me here... thanks

Kai tunnels the lan connection over the internet to other lan players

can i use wirless internet with a 60 ping and then plug my ps2 into my laptop's lan cable port?

wirless, has always been well buggy...

Some players get it to work some dont. 50/50

If you follow the Kai faq on setup youll have a better chance of getting the hardware right for wireless.
I run standard line router with Rj45.

This thread is now moved into the Look Here Before You Ask list, you'll find it stuck on top of the GT4 forum page.

sn00pie
This thread is now moved into the Look Here Before You Ask list, you'll find it stuck on top of the GT4 forum page.

Thanks snoopie! I wanted it as a sticky :) Hopefully ppl will look there from now on :)

Back