XLink proper setup tutorial. (GT4 Online Mode)

• Thread starter MortICi
  • 123 comments
Hajaz
from what i can tell, the pal version runs a bit smoother then the ntsc version.

GT4 uses a frame per frame network protocol, meaning the entire game slows down when theres lag.
because the pal version only runs at 50hz , that means that theres less traffic to tunnel then in the ntsc version witch runs at 60hz.

Thats my theory anyway :)

I have the following set-up:

ADSL Modem->D-Link 514 wire and wireless router->1 PC(wired), 1 laptop (wireless) and PS2 (wired).
I have blocked the PS2's MAC adrress from within the router but I still don't get it to work. Any tips?

Thanks in advance 👍

i got a second network card last night. its installed and everything but my consol cannot get detected. i have played online games before but i have never connected my ps2 to my pc.
i have kai installed and functioning with network status. but there is that "local area connection 2. a network cable is unplugged" icon by the clock.

at zindre : have you done any portforwarding and specified the port in kai's config?

at hot hot head : dont forget you need a crossover cable instead of a regular ethernet cale to connect your ps2 directly to your pc.

and a something a lot of ppl overlook is pc speed, remember that system is the one handling the network traffic. I know a lot of you may disagree but it does make a difference.

Hajaz
at zindre : have you done any portforwarding and specified the port in kai's config?

at hot hot head : dont forget you need a crossover cable instead of a regular ethernet cale to connect your ps2 directly to your pc.

Not yet. Should I use port 30000?
And TCP or UDP, or both?

We got 3 players to work. FINALLY!.

It took alot of troublshooting and differnet settings.

1. Host needs to set number of players to 2
2. Traffic set to heavy.

Laggy, but it works. Better than not working.

Hi! I've tried for at least 3 hrs with a lot of differente people...nothing. I can't host and i can't join...

2 people, 2 gt4 pal.

options for lan: the same, but one host (1 people), one no host. traffic light
same track list in lan.

reboots on both the ps2, and kais too.

Network ok and ps2s configured.

One set up like hosting and open an arena.

The other like guest enter the arena and make the ps2 connect.

Then we fail...it stays in the connecting screen forever.

Hajaz

So does a person need crossover cable to go from router to PS2 or regular ethernet cable ? Some one please let me know, will be getting the one in a few days.

greenlightning
So does a person need crossover cable to go from router to PS2 or regular ethernet cable ?

You need a regular ethernet cable for connecting a PS2 or a PC to a router/hub/switch. Crossover cables are for connecting a PC network card to a PS2 directly.

IAG
can i play online even though i have a modded ps2 with the duo chip? i installed it for gt4 Japanese, and now i can t play socom online. it says i have a disc infor error and to call sony. now im wondering if that will stop me from playing gt online?

I've got the same problem can any one help me with this one?

yes.. upload speed is very important.. I just had something important to say while think about it...

For your settings, the best way to go and the way you are supposed to do it is the host puts the number of players equal to the number of players so if 3 racing set it to 3 and also everyone should have monitors to 0. You should probobly change that at the begining

After installing network in my PS2 and connecting with a crosscable to a wirelss PC with internet connection sharing, i ve manage after a few trys to race... well, if you can call that, we both had pings arround 100, the game looked in slowmotion, and "jumpy", heres my config, and question:
Wireless router, wireless PC connected with crosscable to PS2, with internet connection sharing.
does it make a difference if i connect the PS2 directly to the router and leave my PC wireless, or it s best if both are connected with cable to the router? my upload is 128kbs and dload 512kbs

GT4MOI
does it make a difference if i connect the PS2 directly to the router and leave my PC wireless, or it s best if both are connected with cable to the router? my upload is 128kbs and dload 512kbs

it says on the website that you may encounter some problems with wireless routers.

If you ping your buddy just with windows, what kind of ping do you get then?

it should be well under about 50 to work good!

btw, i tried it with a buddy for the first time yesterday, if you keep to the steps it works perfect! We had a ping of 20ms, and no chops at all!!

I ll try and connect the whole "gaming pack" directly with cable to the router... better said than done... my wife will kill me! ;) Later I´ll say if it worked.

Problem : I have the same setting as the other player, i connect to Waiting For Connection first, after he join but it doesn't work, and i have the same Mac too.

Ok, so me and my friend just bought 2 network adaptors because we want to just hook mine and his PS2's together laning ... I cant get it to work at all.... Has anyone got theirs to work yet???

Hi

I have a Japanese PS2 with GT4, and I have a network adapter from europe that comes with a PAL network access disc.

I would like to know if using Xlink you will have to set up the ps2 with that network access disc, or if you just need to set up the gt4 and Xlink settings even without using the disc.

The Xlink says that the PS2 have failed to configure.

Thank you for your help.

Hello,
if this is a old thread iam sry for brining it back up again but i recently got the game and dicovered this yesturday. Me and my friend are trying it we got everything but 1 thing seems to be the problem. In Kai, it says our ps2's are configured but then in liek a min or so it says failed to configure. What can be the problem. I used the FAQ on the kai webpage to see if it works.

MortICi
Xlink Kai

A PS2

A network adapter for your PS2

A CAT 5 cable

A router

A Computer

An internet Connection (Cable or higher)

GT4

And some basic networking knowledge.

ok got a ps2 as for network adapter do you mean the ones that are like 40$ in best buy? and whats a cat5 cable? got a comp got cable internet got gt4 and i have no networking knowledge i still dont understand how to get x link do i download it to my comp or what? i dont get it

Yes. Download XLink Kai from their site. Connect your computer to your router. Connect the router to the outside world. Plug the Sony Network Adapter into your PS2 (if you have a slimline PSTwo it is built in already). Connect this to the router in the same manner (with the same type of cable) as you did the computer.

Ok mort i think it would help me out if u would maybe explain a little bit to me how to set up the ps2 onto the network. I currently have a modem/router together which has a usb plug goin to my computer. So do i plug the ps2 into the router like i usually do or what.( ps i made a corss over cable) do i need to use a cross over or regular. Kia did a ****y wasy of tellin me how to set this up

Okay, I understand you're anxious, but...

You already asked this in another thread, and I responded accordingly.

No-one has posted in this thread since February, and prior to that no-one had posted since the previous March. MortICi hasn't actually visited this site at all since March 2005.

yo guys .. asked in another topic and they reffered me to this one ..

oke so i read around .. and cant really find the anwser to this Q..

so is this is a oke setup for kai ?

and which cabels should i use from the modem to switch .. from switch to ps2 and from switch to pc

thanks

Back