Yakuza SeriesPS4 

United States
Fort Worth
That_sneaky_azN
yakuza-6-the-song-of-life-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-03dec16

Ryu ga Gotoku 6 was recently announced for worldwide release for early 2018 under the title Yakuza 6 - The Song of Life.

On top of that, Yakuza Kiwami 2, a remake of the 2nd game, was announced as well, and will run on the same engine that runs 6.

dijhc0qu0aanfe8.jpg

with those two coming soon, the series continues in Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku, with a new protagonist under the name Kasuga Ichiban.

Last edited:
Well that was fast; first, the European and American release of Yakuza 5, 3 years after its original release (why Sega?), then Yazkua 0 and Kwami, and now this? Sega wants to keep Yakuza alive at all costs, but they are really firing on all cylinders.

I sense a little of Sleeping Dogs in that new movement, with the automatic jumping over guardrails, so it seems that movement will be more free than previous games. Other than that, it's a complete mistery as to what Sega can possibly add to a game that's already larger than life...

So, from the get go, I can already see that combat movement looks a bit more fluid and human-like than previous games, but no counter-attacking option, Sega is sticking to their cards on that one. Graphics don't seem to be that improved, but the video resolution could be affecting that, so I'll remain neutral on those grounds.

And I sure hope that the A.I. for friendly "units" can be smart enough to avoid pure rage moments...

So, from the get go, I can already see that combat movement looks a bit more fluid and human-like than previous games, but no counter-attacking option, Sega is sticking to their cards on that one. Graphics don't seem to be that improved, but the video resolution could be affecting that, so I'll remain neutral on those grounds.

And I sure hope that the A.I. for friendly "units" can be smart enough to avoid pure rage moments...
Looking from the comments over at YouTube, there is some mixed reception about the combat system.

Not sure how they would manage Friendly AI. But, if all they can do is just grab hold of an enemy and open an opportunity up like before, then... I guess I'm okay with that.

Looking from the comments over at YouTube, there is some mixed reception about the combat system.

Not sure how they would manage Friendly AI. But, if all they can do is just grab hold of an enemy and open an opportunity up like before, then... I guess I'm okay with that.

Is that so? What makes people dislike it? The fact that you now get a sort of "Super Saiyan" mode by triggering something related to your Heat gauge? Or the movement during combat itself?

Something like The Warriors's AI would be quite nifty; command them at your own will, and if there's need for some brutal tag-team action, tell them to grab a dude to set it up... Rockstar made it work well.

Graphics look modestly improved. GTAV on PS3 still looks better, but hey... not everybody has that kind of budget.

Any improvements to the visuals, however slight, are appreciated and will help quiet that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me "Real Japan has better graphics."

So buyers of Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami (Yakuza 1 remake) got access to a demo of Yakuza 6.

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_015.jpg_600.jpg

More environmental damage perhaps?

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_010.jpg_600.jpg

A new bad guy.

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_002.jpg_600.jpg

Kiryu's getting older, and it shows through his now-greying hair.

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_017.jpg

A shot of Kamurocho.

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_034.jpg

Another shot.

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_029.jpg_600.jpg

Restaurant fights?

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_036.jpg

Jumping from rooftop to rooftop.

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_061.jpg

I'm guessing the amount you eat is not dependent on the health bar anymore.

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_069.jpg

There's Haruka chan.

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_073.jpg

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_026.jpg

Yakuza-6_2016_01-27-16_074.jpg

It should be interesting to see how different Sega's own translations are going to be from the ones in that video, when this game is released in foreign markets... If they don't stray too far from the original source material, that's good. If not, oh dear.

It should be interesting to see how different Sega's own translations are going to be from the ones in that video, when this game is released in foreign markets... If they don't stray too far from the original source material, that's good. If not, oh dear.
I'm not sure how far off they were in the previous games, but I'm sure they won't stray off that far.

I'm not sure how far off they were in the previous games, but I'm sure they won't stray off that far.

Well, from what I've seen during Yakuza 2 and 4 (the Yakuza games which I played), the translations weren't terrible and for the most part the vocabulary was adequate.

There is another thing that did surprise me in that video; there are no text-based cutscenes, even during side missions. That was a Yakuza staple for years, and something which looked out of place, especially when the spoken cutscenes looked as realistic as they did in post-Yakuza 4 games. Granted, budget for voice acting can take quite a toll on the rest of the game's budget, but as long as most side mission cutscenes can be similar to the main story ones, I'm sure I won't be bothered if all citizens sound alike...

And there is something rather shocking about this voting session that I discovered; the current leader is a woman going by the name of Saki Akai. Now, most might not recognize that name, but I certainly do. Why? You see, Akai used to be only an actress/model, but now she has a new occupation...

...as a professional wrestler for the Dramatic Dream Team (DDT) federation! Yes, Yakuza 6 could have a professional wrestler as one of its hostess. And I kinda want that to happen, if anything for the surprising day when someone involved with wrestling stars in Yakuza alongside some of Japan's best-known voice actors...

Here are the current standings for anyone who cares; http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/ryu6-audition/

And there is something rather shocking about this voting session that I discovered; the current leader is a woman going by the name of Saki Akai. Now, most might not recognize that name, but I certainly do. Why? You see, Akai used to be only an actress/model, but now she has a new occupation...

...as a professional wrestler for the Dramatic Dream Team (DDT) federation! Yes, Yakuza 6 could have a professional wrestler as one of its hostess. And I kinda want that to happen, if anything for the surprising day when someone involved with wrestling stars in Yakuza alongside some of Japan's best-known voice actors...

Here are the current standings for anyone who cares; http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/ryu6-audition/
YEAH! I saw her in the session and I was like "A PRO WRESTLER?"

Also, tbh #2 on the standings looks a little... Strange IMO.

YEAH! I saw her in the session and I was like "A PRO WRESTLER?"

Yep, that's a fitting reaction. A very popular wrestler at that, since idols-turned-wrestlers represent some of the most famous female wrestlers in Japanese wrestling history. Akai may not wrestle for the top female federations, but she does wrestle for a federation with a lot of mediatic exposure... Which may be a deciding factor for her current position on the standings.

Also, tbh #2 on the standings looks a little... Strange IMO.

I can see why; the whole "childish kawaii" gimmick of hers doesn't really suit her to be honest. But of course, kawaii sells, so you know how that goes...

Well, I suppose it is only fair that males are given the same chance that women got to be in the game... But one has to work on their sheer Kei visuals to land the role, you need that proper J-swag. :lol:

Also, this game doesn't seem to have a lot of interested parties around here, does it? I understand that it can be painfully niche at times, but it's also Sega's best game series to date, especially compared to the NFS-like behavior of the Sonic series (ergo, not being able to find a single identity to work with). One would think that people would be a little more excited about these games getting their own American ports...

Well, I suppose it is only fair that males are given the same chance that women got to be in the game... But one has to work on their sheer Kei visuals to land the role, you need that proper J-swag. :lol:

Also, this game doesn't seem to have a lot of interested parties around here, does it? I understand that it can be painfully niche at times, but it's also Sega's best game series to date, especially compared to the NFS-like behavior of the Sonic series (ergo, not being able to find a single identity to work with). One would think that people would be a little more excited about these games getting their own American ports...
The problem is that not much people have really heard of the series, or dismiss it as a GTA-ripoff, which is so wrong in more ways than one.

The problem is that not much people have really heard of the series, or dismiss it as a GTA-ripoff, which is so wrong in more ways than one.

Well yes, thinking of the entire Yakuza series as a GTA ripoff is about as backwards as you can get regarding opinions about the games. At best, it's a modernized Shemnue, nothing more. Heck, the "driving" in Yakuza is only limited to a very basic arcade-style track racing minigame! And combat is eons ahead of anything GTA V currently has...

Watching the demo gameplay again, I noticed this: (vid should take you to what I'm talking about)

Being a demo, I'm sure they'll find a way to fix the collisions in the game before it releases.

these games take too long too get here in europe/america,.....
Great games,.. loved 3,... still have to finish 4 though :rolleyes:

"The final chapter of the legend of Kiryu Kazuma"?

...oh sheeeeeet.... I guess that 6 is the be all end all of the Yakuza series for him, once and for all. If that's the case, the game can't be anything short of legendary for the Japanese gaming industry, I am not even kidding. 5 set the bar high, so 6 needs to raise it even higher! And so far, so good...

And Majima's actor looks suitably creepy in that video thumbnail, haha. :lol:

But it's nice to see those two back. I mean, seeing Majima back is a bit of a "No s:censored:t" moment because he's been in Yakuza since day one, and he'll be there 'till the end of the Dragon's legend... Akiyama is a nice surprise though, looking forward to dat kick-based style and freaking vertical suplexes on railings.

And Majima's actor looks suitably creepy in that video thumbnail, haha. :lol:

But it's nice to see those two back. I mean, seeing Majima back is a bit of a "No s:censored:t" moment because he's been in Yakuza since day one, and he'll be there 'till the end of the Dragon's legend... Akiyama is a nice surprise though, looking forward to dat kick-based style and freaking vertical suplexes on railings.

Considering that he and Saejima are back, I wonder who the 4th guy will be, or if there ever will be a 4th guy?

Latest Posts

Back