Yakuza SeriesPS4 

Kind of sad I didn't get to download the Y6 demo before they took it down. Even though I have the Japanese demo, which I'm guessing is basically the same.

But speaking of demos, I was helping my friend move furniture in his son's new room and found an original sealed Yakuza demo disk. Sort of asked for it as "payment" since it was still sealed and I figured they didn't bother playing older games anymore.
28424084_10216165158101055_1627384968443229430_o.jpg

Probably nothing rare, but being a fan of the series. I figured why not?
Did you check out the Hokuto ga Gotoku demo? It's looking pretty promising!

I got so far and was blocked from going further. Gave up restarted yakuza 0.

I was gonna wait until Kiwami 2 got a firm western release date before jumping into Kiwami, but recently two awesome Twitch streamers (Ezekiel III and CohhCarnage) have been diving into the Yakuza series and making me hungry for more, so...

Just beat Kiwami about an hour ago. good stuff... very glad I played 0 first though. Due to Kiwami's PS2 roots being the first game, and the uncertainty of whether it would become a series or just be a one-off game, the storytelling is definitely not as good as it is in 0. I probably would've cared quite a bit less about the characters and their fates if it weren't for 0 establishing their history and making me invested.

Also, random tangent: Mizuki looks how I envisioned Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark to look based on her N64 character model, not the ugly chipmunk-looking monstrosity that's in the XBLA/Rare Replay remaster nor the punk rock look that she has in PD Zero.

And just like that... Kiwami 2 confirmed for the west on August 28th. Already started playing OG 2 so I might as well finish it.

Was literally about to post that as well! Doesn't seem as far away of a release now. :lol:

Sadly the SiM song actually sounds better for the trailer.

Anyone else finding Kiwami 2 a little more glitchy than 6? Mainly physics glitches.

Still enjoying it though.

Just beat Kiwami 2 this morning, pretty awesome. (I never did finish OG 2 like I said I would...) The plot felt a little messier in comparison to 0 and Kiwami, but it had some great moments and very strong characters, so overall I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I could probably squeeze in the short Majima campaign before Dragon Quest XI releases on the 4th, but I think I'll probably just save it for later. Unlike Shenmue and Kiwami 2, there are no games on the horizon making me want to beat DQ XI as quickly as possible... so if I want, I can leisurely enjoy Shenmue 2 and some extra Kiwami 2 goodness on the side whenever I feel like it.

Anyone else finding Kiwami 2 a little more glitchy than 6? Mainly physics glitches.

I only put a couple hours into 6, but I'd say they felt about the same as far as wonky physics stuff goes. But I did encounter a glitch where I soft locked the game by skipping a cutscene during a transition (entering Purgatory for the first time), which left the game frozen at some background texture.

First post in the topic but I have played some of Yakuza 0 and 6 games and was thinking of buying Yakuza 3 - 5 as my second hand
store has them at a good price but I read above that there's talk that PS4 versions of them might come, should I hold off or
buy them now on PS3?

Last edited:
First post in the topic but I have played some of the Yakuza 0 and 6 games and was thinking of buying Yakuza 3 - 5 as my second hand
store has them at a good price but I read above that there's talk that PS4 versions of them might come, should I hold off or
buy them now on PS3?

Do you have a gaming PC? I believe 0 and 6 are on Steam, and Kiwami is coming, alongside the other remakes. That's probably the best way to go, but I would wait until they drop on PS4, as chances are, it will be cheaper.

First post in the topic but I have played some of the Yakuza 0 and 6 games and was thinking of buying Yakuza 3 - 5 as my second hand
buy them now on PS3?
3 is on the korean PSN for PS4 but no word on a western release yet. 4 and 5 were Plus titles if you have Plus check your download list.

3 is on the korean PSN for PS4 but no word on a western release yet. 4 and 5 were Plus titles if you have Plus check your download list.

Do you have a gaming PC? I believe 0 and 6 are on Steam, and Kiwami is coming, alongside the other remakes. That's probably the best way to go, but I would wait until they drop on PS4, as chances are, it will be cheaper.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Western releases then.

I didn't have PSN Plus back when I was using the PS3 so I don't have them in my PSN list, I saw some of Yakuza 4 and I borrowed a copy of Yakuza 5 some years back and really enjoyed that one so fingers crossed I can get a PS4 copy.

Sega just announced a spinoff IP titled Judge Eyes (in Japan anyway, going by "Project JUDGE" in the west for now):

Looks pretty sweet, Yakuza with a dash of Hitman/Ace Attorney. Could also make another good starting point for series newcomers, since it's not directly connected to any of the Yakuza games outside of the setting and some cameos.

Just beat Kiwami 2 this morning, pretty awesome. (I never did finish OG 2 like I said I would...) The plot felt a little messier in comparison to 0 and Kiwami, but it had some great moments and very strong characters, so overall I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I could probably squeeze in the short Majima campaign before Dragon Quest XI releases on the 4th, but I think I'll probably just save it for later. Unlike Shenmue and Kiwami 2, there are no games on the horizon making me want to beat DQ XI as quickly as possible... so if I want, I can leisurely enjoy Shenmue 2 and some extra Kiwami 2 goodness on the side whenever I feel like it.

I only put a couple hours into 6, but I'd say they felt about the same as far as wonky physics stuff goes. But I did encounter a glitch where I soft locked the game by skipping a cutscene during a transition (entering Purgatory for the first time), which left the game frozen at some background texture.

Going through Kiwami 2 a little slowly. I played the original Yakuza 2 before this and there's parts that feel odd to me. Mostly the faces of some characters being modeled after the voice actors and Kaoru's voice actor being different from the original. Only at Chapter 11 right now, but that's probably because I've spent so much time on the side-story of the Cabaret Grand Prix. :lol:

Sega just announced a spinoff IP titled Judge Eyes (in Japan anyway, going by "Project JUDGE" in the west for now):

Looks pretty sweet, Yakuza with a dash of Hitman/Ace Attorney. Could also make another good starting point for series newcomers, since it's not directly connected to any of the Yakuza games outside of the setting and some cameos.

Been looking to try and get my friend into the series, but unfortunately his roommate started him off on Yakuza 6.... Maybe this will be something he could get into.

Never really been into sneaking or detective games, but considering that I already enjoy the developer's games, I'd be willing to give this one a shot. Almost think it's nice to see them take a sort of break and do something a little fresh.

Edit: For anyone with a Japanese PSN account, apparently the demo's already out!

Last edited:
A few months ago I stopped with about 10 hours in yakuza zero. Does it get any better? It has some fun moments, but its getting somewhat boring. Or should I just accept that it isnt for me?

A tad late, but apparently there's a larger demo out for Judge Eyes on the Japanese PSN store! Heard you can explore the entire city and play the entire first chapter. Downloading it right now. :D

Curious about that one. Sounds great on paper, but how does it play?

Curious about that one. Sounds great on paper, but how does it play?
After playing the short scripted first demo, it feels like a faster pace version of 6/Kiwami 2's combat. It does feel like the developers were given some more freedom to play with ideas they must have had for the new Dragon engine.

A few months ago I stopped with about 10 hours in yakuza zero. Does it get any better? It has some fun moments, but its getting somewhat boring. Or should I just accept that it isnt for me?

Also sorry about the late reply. How far are you into the game in terms of chapters?

I'm new to the series. Completed Kiwami yesterday (that was free on PS Plus) and started Kiwami 2 just now. It's great, shame that I didn't discover this series earlier (actually I heard of Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku series but never tried before).

So, since there are remasters of 3, 4 and 5 parts, it means that I can play the whole series on PS4 alone? However, they're only released in Japan...

I'm new to the series. Completed Kiwami yesterday (that was free on PS Plus) and started Kiwami 2 just now. It's great, shame that I didn't discover this series earlier (actually I heard of Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku series but never tried before).

So, since there are remasters of 3, 4 and 5 parts, it means that I can play the whole series on PS4 alone? However, they're only released in Japan...

There's a possibility that the remasters will be released elsewhere. Though as far as I've seen it's mostly been rumors.

I started in an odd place where I got the US digital only release of Yakuza 5. Became interested in the series after watching Giant Bomb's entertaining Quick Look video on the game. Fell in love with the series since then and went through and played the older games.

Judgment's by far my most anticipated game of the year, glad to finally have a release date. Though I already had it pre-ordered regardless.

Though I must say... It's mildly annoying that they're kinda giving us physical buyers the shaft with the whole "digital early access" crap, and apparently they also get a cool PS4 theme too? But hey, at least we get a sticker... lol

But to be fair, my Best Buy GCU membership is still active so going physical also has the perk of the game being 20% cheaper.

Back