You Can Help Restore Toyota's Famous Tom's Castrol Supra JGTC

Wishing I was a millionaire right now....a multi,multimillionaire at those restoration prices. Restoring all the bodywork wouldn't take 'that' much out of the 500k budget, so where is the rest going? It can stay in Gran Turismo at that price.

Hopefully PD can bring it to gt7 after the restauration

I think I saw a post here the other day that said Kaz had tweeted a picture of the car.

Anyway, all this "no-one knows what happened to it" stuff is a bit odd isn't it.
Doubtless at some point TOMS sold the car, possibly as a rolling shell, possibly went through a number of hands until it ended up there. I can believe they lost track of who had it, but its not like it disappeared out of their worksohp one day and no-one knew anything about it.

$470k sounds pricey to strip a shell, repaint and stick an MR2 engine in it.

I presume its not the only car either, the top pic looks very much like Goodwood festival of speed, so there must be one that runs or at least has done recently.

I presume its not the only car either, the top pic looks very much like Goodwood festival of speed, so there must be one that runs or at least has done recently.
That's the 1997 car (the championship-winning car) at the 2006 Goodwood Festival of Speed. The car Tom's wants to restore is the 1998 car.

Yep, the point was that if it was the only example left it'd be more valuable.

If thats the 1998 car, it apparently failed to win a race. Driven by Masanori Sekiya and Norberto Fontana, they scored a 3rd at both Sendai and Motegi as their best result. The sister car with Kelvin Burt and Toshio Suzuki aboard actually faired worse overall, but they did grab a 2nd place at Sugo.

Sure it not for the car next too it? got them piston engines going up n down in my head n the supra brum brum brum from GT3, loved that car along with the sound of the 787b , screaming along tokyo r246., shoulda brought that track back for gts instead of that dull looking tokyo expressway

Last edited:
Are Toyota struggling a bit financially? Can't they fund the restoration themselves.
The car has nothing to do with them...

I think I saw a post here the other day that said Kaz had tweeted a picture of the car.

Anyway, all this "no-one knows what happened to it" stuff is a bit odd isn't it.
Doubtless at some point TOMS sold the car, possibly as a rolling shell, possibly went through a number of hands until it ended up there. I can believe they lost track of who had it, but its not like it disappeared out of their worksohp one day and no-one knew anything about it.

$470k sounds pricey to strip a shell, repaint and stick an MR2 engine in it.

Lol "stick an MR2 engine in it" The sheer ignorance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure it not for the car next too it? got them piston engines going up n down in my head n the supra brum brum brum from GT3, loved that car along with the sound of the 787b , screaming along tokyo r246., shoulda brought that track back for gts instead of that dull looking tokyo expressway
exactly my words. Why create entirelly new dull looking circuit if you already have better looking circuit with better layout in the same location?

I like how the discussion goes from the car having appeared in Gran Turismo, to the desire for the car to appear in new installments of Gran Turismo, to the car being excised from discussion all but completely...despite this being the cars section of the forum and not the Gran Turismo section.

And did we read the article ?

The Supra’s engine — a four-cylinder 3SGTE rather than the road car’s 2JZ six

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+car+does+3sgte+come+in

As you say, the sheer igorance.
Yes, I did read the article. But I also know that just because it has the same bore and stroke and a turbo attached, doesn't mean that TOM'S can just head down to the local pick'n'pull and get an MR2 engine(or a Caldina one), toss it in the engine bay, and call it job done. The Toyota 503E is the ACTUAL engine that came in the car, and while people just SAY it's a 3SGTE because it's got the same bore and stroke, I'd love to see you try and find one in a the back of a standard MR2 (or Caldina).

Yes, I did read the article. But I also know that just because it has the same bore and stroke and a turbo attached, doesn't mean that TOM'S can just head down to the local pick'n'pull and get an MR2 engine(or a Caldina one), toss it in the engine bay, and call it job done. The Toyota 503E is the ACTUAL engine that came in the car, and while people just SAY it's a 3SGTE because it's got the same bore and stroke, I'd love to see you try and find one in a the back of a standard MR2 (or Caldina).

:rolleyes:

and did anyone suggest getting a junkyard engine ? no.

It was a cheeky comment at the whopping restoration cost.

Ah, so this is one of the vehicles which didn't get the luxury of being stored in one of the official manufacturer car museums/collections (like I assume that '97 example in the header image is), it's a shame that a lot of the underdog vehicles from motorsport get abandoned and left to rot just because they didn't win (unless their new owners look after them). Still, it's nice to see that it still exists in any form.

The Famous 1997 Champion Castrol Supra we all love from Gran Turismo sits proudly in Toyota's collection.
1997_Castrol_Tom's_Supra_02.jpg
1200px-1997_Castrol_Tom's_Supra_01.jpg

That's the 1997 car (the championship-winning car) at the 2006 Goodwood Festival of Speed. The car Tom's wants to restore is the 1998 car.
But the title implies it's THE Castrol Supra we know and love, not A Castrol Supra that raced during 1998. So it should be : You Can Help Restore A Tom's Castrol Supra JGTC.

As far as barn finds go that's positively good condition. Why do they need so much money? $470K is just an absolute joke.

Well regardless of which "year" the car is I am always pleased when I see an article advising something has been "found" after going off the scene for a period.

At least the Supra seems to fair in better condition than the car on left which I can't even recognise but it's good that it has been found and a restoration project is underway for the car and it will return to the track at some stage unlike another Supra I read an article about.

Depending on the condition, i can actually see quite easily where that $470k could be swallowed, especially if built to be used and not just displayed. A high-spec race engine? Could be north of 100k. Doesn't mention if it has a gearbox or not. Easily another 40k+. All that magnesium used in the wheels and suspension? Probably needs binning as it becomes porous if not looked after. A lot of items are not going to be off-the-shelf stuff so may need re-manufacturing. Crack-testing the chassis? Replacing delaminated CF pieces? What's the going hourly rate TOMs charges for workshop time? Im sure @Heldenzeit can tell you how much time it takes a fleet of top mechanics to restore a race car that may superficially look 'okay' to as-new condition.

What's the going hourly rate TOMs charges for workshop time?
I would expect Tom's to do the work for free, and the money to be used for components and restoration of parts, otherwise it would just be pay us to do up our car. :confused: :rolleyes:

And if that is a thing, I need to start a Kickstarter for someone to pay me to fix my vacuum cleaner. ;) :lol:

Latest Posts

Back