You Have to try Motion Control Steering

After using both steering control methods, what will you permanently use in GT Sport?

• Total voters
Any suggestions for the free analogue stick? I am positive I want to keep throttle/brakes on R2/L2.

I don’t have the demo open now but was there in-car seat adjustement like in Project CARS 2? That could be nice to put on that stick.
cannot be done while driving

it let's you catch a skid better but I found it impossible to do faster laps than with sticks... anyway it's still just a workaround not a fix for this issue.

I highly recommend sticking it out and force yourself to use it until you have settled into it. If you're not significantly faster after a while I'll hurl ice cream at a moving boat.

What way you guys using the motion controls?
  1. Tilt the controller vertically towards you, turn it like a steering wheel.
  2. Keep the controller flat, spin it like a dinner plate.
  3. Start with the controller flat, lift and drop the sides.
I don't have the demo downloaded but when I gave it a 5 minute run in the beta I went with {3}.

I held it at an angle, something like 45 degrees. I would move it to a flat horizontal position of vertically depending on what I was trying to do with the car.

I haven't tried it in the demo, just closed beta. I was really impressed.

From what I can recall, I seemed to be able to give finer input with the pad situated as in your #3 description.

The reason I said that it's more precise is that with motion steering your steering input is spread out over a larger distance (ie. perhaps a ~100mm arc, if you imagine what you're doing with the controller), vs. the analog stick which would only have a ~10mm arc of travel.

Guess it would also depend on the accuracy of the tilt sensors inside the controller, but it seems like GT Sport has really got it right, it's smooth as and not jittery.

I don't have the demo downloaded but when I gave it a 5 minute run in the beta I went with {3}.

I use a 45 degree angle or the "busdriver" angle (mix between 1/2). Funny thing is because the DS4 is not fixed I find myself sometimes with the DS4 completely on the right or left from me because I overshot a corner and thinking if I litteraly move it into the direction the car will make it :lol:

Will be trying this tonight! Was a wheel user back on PS3 but sold my setup due to space after my Daughter was born. Did try motion controls with Driveclub but never played it enough.

This is one of those features people are going to catch on to slowly over time. I was singing its praises back in the closed beta days and no one seemed to give it a serious try. Once you get used to motion steering you'll be able to go faster. Why wouldn't anyone want to do this?

Freaking awesome! Thanks dude.

I will try this, as the refurbished G29 I bought from ebay arrived non-refurbished, so I have no wheel! I hate using the sticks, glad to hear this is a viable option.

I tried all 3. #1 was the worst, particularly when turning right for whatever reason? #2 was OK, but kind of awkward depending on the sharpness of the turn.

#3 was the winner, although I'm still trying to find tricks/techniques to make it even more efficient.

No. 3.

Motion control inclusion was a very positive surprise for me since I can rarely be bothered to set up my wheel anymore. I used motion controls with DriveClub so I got a lot of practice there, and a bit with Project Cars 1 and 2.
It's very hard for me to go back to thumbsticks after getting used to motion control steering - the latter is almost as smooth as using a wheel, instead of all the constant little corrections you do with a stick (unless you have an extremely delicate touch). Motion controls tend to lack a little in quick corrections - although so far it seems to do well enough in GTS - and there are also some times where it just don't seem to turn enough in sharp turns, although that's probably just in combination with locked brakes (ABS seems to be slightly unreliable in this game).

Bought this for Driveclub. I used motion steering in both GT Sport Betas. I love Motion steering so much I bought the Move wheel for PS3!

Attachments

• Officially-Licensed-Compact-Racing-Wheel-PS4.jpg
    Officially-Licensed-Compact-Racing-Wheel-PS4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 122
I first tried this in Drive Club and was impressed that it worked. But because I have a form of muscular dystrophy I don’t have enough range of motion for this to be an effective form of steering for me. I’ll stick with using the thumb sticks.

I tried it friday, I think it's funny....for kids....its not even so fast like with the stick.....and I also think its not even so precise like stick (and wheel)

Bought this for Driveclub. I used motion steering in both GT Sport Betas. I love Motion steering so much I bought the Move wheel for PS3!

That looks interesting. Can you still reach the triggers well enough? And at the same time still reach the 4 basic PS4 buttons (square etc)? Since the DS4 triggers are already quite small that would be my main worry.

That looks interesting. Can you still reach the triggers well enough? And at the same time still reach the 4 basic PS4 buttons (square etc)? Since the DS4 triggers are already quite small that would be my main worry.
I still can reach them easily. The wheel just makes it a little wider. if your hands are small it might not be for you. for me steering without it makes me feel like I'm driving a clown car

I tried it friday, I think it's funny....for kids....its not even so fast like with the stick.....and I also think its not even so precise like stick (and wheel)

Once you get used to it it's much easier to hold a smooth driving line than with a stick. You just basically hold it, like you would with a wheel, rather than relying on often many (depending on finger dexterity) small, sometimes imprecise movements of your thumb.

The only place where motion control steering falls a bit short in my experience is when you find yourself in situations where you need to make a series of quick line adjustments, but I feel that's more of an issue in a very fast arcade/simcade racer like DriveClub (and even there motion controls work very well - I can't handle it in WipEout though). In those situations the thumbstick can even have an advantage over a steering wheel.

I'm currently playing Project Cars 2 with motion controls while I wait for GTS. It works really well there too - hell, I'm better and less mistake prone with motion controls than with my FFB wheel (although obviously nothing beats the fun and realism of using a wheel, I just can't be bothered to set it up very often anymore).

Feels weird for a while but all I’m saying is that it’s worth giving a try for a few hours until you start to get a feel for it. Personally I’m loving it.

Feels odd at first for me too! :lol: This is indeed an alternative way of using a wheel-like feature on a DS4 controller. 👍

37730218141_88d532cb1b_b.jpg

I use T300 wheel, and tried motion control on the beta just for kicks. I couldn't believe how well it worked. It took a bit of discipline for keeping the controller upright (something I never quite became comfortable with) and can be a bit tricky when things get messy but is for sure a potentially excellent alternative to a real wheel.

Did try it, it needs some time to get use to, but it looks like better precision and much better counter steer then with standard controls on pad.

However, if you wanna be good, you need to use cabin view, since it is pretty hard to guess what the steering rack is doing without some visual input, in this case steering wheel...

Cheers...

Just ordered that mini wheel for the DS4 controller from Amazon, it’s cheap anyway so I might as well give it a try.

@Miths how do you set up PCARS 2 for motion control? I somehow missed that option.

Just ordered that mini wheel for the DS4 controller from Amazon, it’s cheap anyway so I might as well give it a try.

@Miths how do you set up PCARS 2 for motion control? I somehow missed that option.

I initially also missed it first because it's not shown as a separate choice in the controller menu. You simply have to tilt the controller when assigning left and right steering.

It's probably my inability to use this function properly, but I personally hate it.

Which view are you using when you have tried it? I found it worked best with bonnet and incar view. 3th person gives a bit of a "boat" feeling (same when using a wheel and 3th persn) but I think it would be a matter of time to get used to it.

btw, I wonder how many are switching to motioncontrols or stick with thumbs? A poll anyone?

Once you get used to it it's much easier to hold a smooth driving line than with a stick. You just basically hold it, like you would with a wheel, rather than relying on often many (depending on finger dexterity) small, sometimes imprecise movements of your thumb.

The only place where motion control steering falls a bit short in my experience is when you find yourself in situations where you need to make a series of quick line adjustments, but I feel that's more of an issue in a very fast arcade/simcade racer like DriveClub (and even there motion controls work very well - I can't handle it in WipEout though). In those situations the thumbstick can even have an advantage over a steering wheel.

I'm currently playing Project Cars 2 with motion controls while I wait for GTS. It works really well there too - hell, I'm better and less mistake prone with motion controls than with my FFB wheel (although obviously nothing beats the fun and realism of using a wheel, I just can't be bothered to set it up very often anymore).

I've tried using it in Project CARS 2 but it feels like there's a 0.5-1sec lag from the time I tilt my controller to the time the driver in-game turns the wheel, which is making it hard to use. In the GT Sport demo though it felt instant and really predictable as a result.

I've tried using it in Project CARS 2 but it feels like there's a 0.5-1sec lag from the time I tilt my controller to the time the driver in-game turns the wheel, which is making it hard to use. In the GT Sport demo though it felt instant and really predictable as a result.

I can't say I've noticed any obvious lag issues.

Back