You Have to try Motion Control Steering

After using both steering control methods, what will you permanently use in GT Sport?

• Total voters
Which view are you using when you have tried it? I found it worked best with bonnet and incar view. 3th person gives a bit of a "boat" feeling (same when using a wheel and 3th persn) but I think it would be a matter of time to get used to it.

btw, I wonder how many are switching to motioncontrols or stick with thumbs? A poll anyone?

I am. It’s become almost natural at this point.

I’d love to see a poll now and a poll 6 months out. I really do think this will catch on.

I have won a few online races so far using the motion control. I basically hold it like I would if I was playing any other video game and just lift the edges one way or another.

I want to say thanks to all of you who encouraged us to try motion control steering. After reading this thread I tried it for the first time ever and to me it’s nothing short of a revelation. It takes the immersion to another level entirely and I will never go back to the analog stick steering. This motion control is just absolutely incredible. :cheers:

Going to give this a try out tonight. It sounds like it could be fun and will save me time bringing out the wheel rig which has to live in the garage.

Hopefully it’s just my controller then, will have to try with another. I’d be stoked if I could use the motion control in PCars2 similar to how it was in the GT demo

Actually after you mentioned it I did notice that there's visible delay in PC2 before the steering wheel moves (it's apparently not a part of the cockpit view I pay much attention to), but it doesn't feel to me like there's actual steering lag.

Hi everybody. Haven't got my GTS yet but have been following this thread a bit. Sorry if my questions have already been answered here ...
anyway :
How much degrees radius is it from left to right lock ? And what buttons do you guys use for throttle / brake and upshift / downshift ?
I'm asking 'cos I sat there yesterday with my DS4 in hands thinking it should be quite hard making a couple of fast inputs when in a tight corner ( with hands crossed ) ! ... But maybe my imagination is completely wrong.

Hi everybody. Haven't got my GTS yet but have been following this thread a bit. Sorry if my questions have already been answered here ...
anyway :
How much degrees radius is it from left to right lock ? And what buttons do you guys use for throttle / brake and upshift / downshift ?
I'm asking 'cos I sat there yesterday with my DS4 in hands thinking it should be quite hard making a couple of fast inputs when in a tight corner ( with hands crossed ) ! ... But maybe my imagination is completely wrong.

L2 for the brakes and R2 for the accelerator. I use square and cross to shift up and down. Not sure about the radius but I think it is somewhere around 80 degrees left and 80 degrees right.

Just tried motion controls, in two minds at the moment. You can be smoother on the turns for sure, but with no resistance to speak of it also feels very unnatural (not that a thumbstick is natural either but we are speaking relatively here!). I also used triggers for more/less juice, and face buttons for gears.

Just tried motion controls, in two minds at the moment. You can be smoother on the turns for sure, but with no resistance to speak of it also feels very unnatural (not that a thumbstick is natural either but we are speaking relatively here!). I also used triggers for more/less juice, and face buttons for gears.

Has anybody tested if motion steering provides full steering lock ( the car's max steering angle ) independent of the current speed of the car ?

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way you can be faster with analogue sticks than with motion steering once you have spent a few days getting used to it. Not only that, countersteering is nearly impossible with the analogue sticks and wildly inaccurate.

The shining examples that will open your mind to the wonderful world of motion steering is any of the oval races that require very fine control of the steering to stay in the upper too lanes to maintain speed.

The key is to just find a way to hold the controller that is comfortable for you. I just hold it like I would normally when using a controller. If you want to have a bit more precision I found sort of holding it on my lap for finer control, and then lifting up when I need larger quick corrections works really well.

I got my wheel and pedals today, and I am sort of like... uh I am gonna miss that ability to counter steer so quickly and turn in so quickly.

Started playing the full game today and immediately with motion sensor control (gave it a quick try at the last day of beta). I’m absolutely loving it. :). And you don’t really need cockpit view for it, I played about 5-6 hours straight (some driving school, some arcade, some missions, some track challenges, but all single player) and I used the road camera (the one with the speedometers), worked great.

I also ordered one of these Compact Racing Wheels for it. :)

Officially-Licensed-Compact-Racing-Wheel-Review.jpg

anyway :

Cross & square for the gears and the triggers for accelerating & braking.

I use cross for hand brake, circle for gear up, square for gear down. It’s what I got used to play Forza and its working really well.

It works okay but it's by no means comfortable holding your controller like a wheel for a long period of time.. Anyone who can beat someone good with the sticks with motion steering ill pay them $100.. AKA not happening.

I've used a wheel exclusive for as long as I can remember. I'm currently out of town for work, I brought my PS4, but can't be bothered to pack my wheel. I'm fairly terrible using the analog sticks. Tried using motion steering and holy cow.

It's the equivalent of a wheel with no force-feed back in my opinion. So still sucks compared to a real wheel, but is light-years better and more fun than analog sticks. I'm considerably smoother and can at least enjoy the game during the week.

Highly recommend people give it a chance.

It works okay but it's by no means comfortable holding your controller like a wheel for a long period of time.. Anyone who can beat someone good with the sticks with motion steering ill pay them $100.. AKA not happening.

You hold the controller normally and just lift up the sides - hell, you can casually do it one handed if you should feel so inclined. You can also adjust sensitivity so you can use smaller movements most of the time (I have sensitivity at 4).
There's no reason at all to awkwardly rotate the controller while holding it upright or completely flat, unless you've placed it into one of those plastic wheels shown in a post a little further up.

As for what's faster, assuming the same player - or two players of almost exactly equal skill - I'd say based on my own experiences (brief so far in GTS but many hours in DriveClub and a little bit in PC1 and PC2) that it's pretty much a toss up.
On tracks with multiple fast turns in succession the stick driver will probably have an advantage because it's a bit easier to make quick corrections, but motion control steering almost rivals a wheel for smoothness and consistency through most turns. Personally I'm much more consistent in my lap times with motion controls (took a couple of weeks of getting properly adjusted back when I started using in in DriveClub), even after many years of playing racing games with thumbsticks (and FFB wheels). I'm also less prone to crashing into opponents or making other mistakes from small over corrections, and overall just find it more fun and feeling like less of a sacrifice compared to a wheel than if I'm using controller with thumbsticks.

But obviously each player should go with their preference. Just remember that it likely took you years to get as good as you are with traditional input methods, it's unlikely you'll be able to match it in an hour or two of trying a fairly different input method. Some people will see the potential quickly and continue practicing, others will prefer to stick to what they are used to.

It barely works at all in reverse. Do not spin at Nurb or motion control steering may take you 15 seconds to get turned around, lol. I had to give it up just because of that. Back to the stick.

I played 6 hours with motion control yesterday. Yes I can't lay down lazy on my side in the sofa, I need to sit up more straight to hold the controller vertically. But racing goes a lot better IMO, much more precise steering. At some point my right wrist seemed to get a bit tired but that might just have been due to my seating position.

Back