You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
This one's new to me. While it's not a car, maybe the engine warrants a pass...

file.php

Came across this while idly searching old concepts today:

toyota_cx-80_3.jpeg

toyota_cx-80_6.jpeg

Toyota CX-80, from 1979. A commuter car concept designed to preview the cars they were expecting to arrive in the 1980s. Sadly actual 1980s commuter cars didn't turn out quite as interesting.
Would've thought it was a Citroen at a first glance.

Would've thought it was a Citroen at a first glance.

It has a remarkably similar profile to a Citroen Visa - which came out a year previously. Which is probably why it looks so Citroenesq.

image.jpeg

i'd be hard pushed to call it beautiful, but it did quite obviously influence the detailing of the Daytona, which came out the following year and was beautiful.

Perhaps beautiful is a strong word to use, but I'd say it's definitely pretty. I like it because I think it's different to a lot of the Ferrari's of the era because it seems so small and dinky.

You're absolutely right with the Daytona influence, that front on the 330 show's where the Daytona's styling cues came from. However I must admit, I'm one of the very few that think the Daytona has never been beautiful, it's just been a bit 'meh' for me (yes I'm a little weird like that :lol:).

Nissan R31 Skyline sedan from 1988 South Africa group b Rally.
The wing on it is awesome.
tumblr_odinj9gvOY1u8imavo1_1280.png

This is info from the Flickr pic below-
"Developed for the last season of group B in South africa,in 1988 this had a V6 turbo moter. It had also beat the Audi S1. It was converted in 1989 for Wesbank Modifieds, Were it won 1 race, Against the IMSA spec Audi QUATRO, but was destroyd in the next race"
Nissan Skyline 4x4 Rally car South africa Hannes Grobler by South African rally and Wesbank Modifieds fan, on Flickr

Nissan V6 4x4 Turbo by South African rally and Wesbank Modifieds fan, on Flickr

Here videos of the race it was in

I found site has some more pics of it.
It's to buy prints....
http://www.motoprint.co.za/index.ph...cription=1&keyword=Hannes+Grobler+1988+nissan
45573.jpg

45577.jpg

Here what it looked in 1989 when converted for Wesbank Modifieds
nissan skyline Wesbank by South African rally and Wesbank Modifieds fan, on Flickr

Agnelli was good at commissioning one-off designs for himself, wasn't he...? If I remember correctly, the Lancia Thema 8.32 (the famed Thema with a Ferrari V8 engine taken from a Mondial) was also supposed to be a one-off just for him, but the public begged so much for a limited production run he wound up caving and accepting said request...

The Delta 'vert is certainly a curious concept; 4WD and Delta values - roof definitely make it a touch different from Alfa's SZ...

Back