You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
proton-lekir.jpg

Proton Lekir I wonder if Lotus had anything to do with it.

proton-lekir.jpg

Proton Lekir I wonder if Lotus had anything to do with it.
^ Don't care if Lotus has anything to do with it, it's a Proton sports car and that is all that matters!

-> Plus, at one point...Proton was very serious on building it!

78F77345030.jpg

protonsportscar2.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

-> And here's another one!

Proton PM5 - This car was created WAY before Lotus got involved:
Proton_PM5_Concept.jpg

proton-pm5-concept-car-4.jpg

proton-pm5-concept-car-5.jpg

proton-pm5-concept-car-31.jpg

^ Too bad it wasn't a working prototype, the PM5 was strictly a visual concept car. :'(

=======

BT -> Speaking of Malaysian sports cars. While I was searching for more PM5 photos (as rare as it is), I stumbled this one!

ESNA Venere '06
1833F65289190.jpg

esna-4.jpg

esna-3.jpg

http://autoworld.com.my/news/2005/03/18/ESNA-Venere-The-First-Malaysian-Sports-Car/
http://autobuzz.my/2016/04/22/rewind-esna-venere-350hp-malaysian-sports-car-died/

^ Too bad it was just another vaporware. :indiff:

Last edited:
DSCF4651-e1434571273376.jpg

Marcos Spirit 220 is a 245BHP race car I thought they went bankrupt long before they could make cars like this...

The Marcos Spirit 220 is a 245 bhp race car specifically built to attempt the land speed record at Pendine Sands in Wales. The first version of the Marcos Spirit 220 had a top speed of 159 mph, but Tony has rebuilt the car and believes the new car will be capable of reaching a top speed of 211 mph. Tony is also building two new versions of the Marcos Spirit 220, a road car version, and a race car version specifically built for championships such as Britcar, Dutch Supercar Challenge and possibly the British GT Championship. A few top racing drivers have driven the car, including Welsh GT racer Gary Simms. http://www.motorsport-wales.co.uk/marcos-cars-ltd/

(I don't know if it did any of this and a land speed record are they joking?)

Melkus RS1000

A little East-German sports car I discovered that used a 2-stroke 3-cyclinder unit from a Wartburg 353 (of all things). Even produced a racing version, which produced approx. 118bhp from what I could see.

View attachment 631326

Think it's really quite a handsome little thing.
Sounds fruity too:

118 BHP? How light was it?

I suspect it was built out of the same paper mache and dashed dreams that most of those types of cars were at the time, so probably like 1200 pounds.

118 BHP? How light was it?

Well specs seem to vary somewhat from source-to-source, but from what I could find the road going version at least weighed around 690kg, and the racing version seemed to be virtually identical to it's road going counterpart.

Plus initial racing versions were reported to have around 100bhp, and the road version varied between 70-90bhp

They only made some odd 5000 of them from 1996 to 2000, so yeah, they're pretty rare.

I never knew about the monoposto concept cars (of the late 90's/early 00's) until a post I saw from the 'Odd Modifications thread'

Inspired by, or may even be an actual example of, Alfa's Spider Monoposto concept from the mid-90s:

1998_Alfa_Romeo_Spider_Monoposto_Concept_01.jpg

Upon further look, it's definitely not the original (and not just in terms of the colour!). Front airdam looks bigger and the seat is a regular road car seat rather than a bucket. No little camera pod beside the driver, either.

Of course, we have track cars like the BAC Mono and rarities like the Sesto elemento, but upon further research I wasn't aware of these ordinary cars made into track car concepts. Here are a few other examples:

Mazda-MX-5-Superlight-IAA-38.jpg

Mazda Miata Monoposto '99
More here

Maserati-320S-5442.jpg

Maserati 320S '01
More here

1991++Super+Sports.jpg

MGF Super Sports '98
More here

Last edited:
Fiat Idea (2003 - 2012)

Sat behind one in traffic yesterday. Thought it was some sort of generic Korean white goods until i clocked the Fiat badge. I don't ever recall seeing one before. Looked to be a similar size to the Panda, but appears to be Punto based so really is a size up from the Panda, even though it doesn't look to be.

800px-Fiat_Idea_front_20071102.jpg

Whilst on the subject of Fiats-that-i-didn't-know-about. The Sedici. One of my colleagues at work has driven one for years, i always assumed it was a Suzuki SX4 (which technically it is) :dunce:

Back