You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
The worst thing about that Idea is they turned it into a Lancia Musa, which is as terrible it sounds.

Fiat Idea (2003 - 2012)

Sat behind one in traffic yesterday. Thought it was some sort of generic Korean white goods until i clocked the Fiat badge. I don't ever recall seeing one before. Looked to be a similar size to the Panda, but appears to be Punto based so really is a size up from the Panda, even though it doesn't look to be.

View attachment 632487

Whilst on the subject of Fiats-that-i-didn't-know-about. The Sedici. One of my colleagues at work has driven one for years, i always assumed it was a Suzuki SX4 (which technically it is) :dunce:
It looks like it could've been an Opel or Vauxhall in my eyes.

It looks like it could've been an Opel or Vauxhall in my eyes.

It does look similar to the Meriva 👍

2563427opel-meriva-1.6-comfort-02.jpg

Turns out that Austin were creating mad twin-engine Mini's long before the likes of the Z-cars twin Yamaha R1 engined Mini. Apparently the idea came from the twin engine Mini Moke at the time.

It's not entirely clear who came up with the original idea, but it's suggested that the guy who did was Paul Emery who developed the FWD F3 cars in the 50's and pioneered the first brake-disc shod race car. Apparently Emery designed the Twini but dropped the plan due to issues with gear linkages since it was twin engined.

Turns out John Cooper himself happened to be the guy who'd pick the project up. In the front he dropped in a full Group 3 spec 1068cc 82hp unit, and a 1212cc 96bhp in the back. So 178bhp overall :eek:.

twini Cooper s.jpg

(Car in the pic btw is a twin 998cc Riley Elf engined Mini that ran in the '63 Targa Florio, since pics of the original Twini seem to be non-existent)

Sadly there's no known survivors after the main prototype was destroyed in a huge crash during a test leaving Cooper badly injured. Rumours are that there was actually 4 original prototypes (2 Twini's the Moke and Emery's design) but there was apparently record of BMC building their own Twini.

Shame really as it'd be awesome if it survived, plus I'd imagine it would've had huge potential as a rally machine being 4WD, way before the Quattro as well...

These days with fly-by-wire and computerised automated gearboxes, doing similar would be easy. Back then, getting the gear selection and throttle linkages working in unison and being reliable would have been a nightmare.

I'd also imagine that adding a second engine and gearbox, radiator etc would have added considerable weight and altered the centre of gravity and the car's balance. It could have quite easily become a pig to drive.

Yea I'd imagine the handling characteristics would be 'interesting' to say the least. However with regards to the weight, I'm not sure how much weight the conversion added but apparently it weighed around 725kg from what I saw.

Which although certainly not heavy, its a significant enough increase over the standard Cooper of the time which was around 600kg.

I do like these carry over cars for other parts of the world. Like the Zastava 10 based on the second gen Punto.

Back then, getting the gear selection and throttle linkages working in unison and being reliable would have been a nightmare.
I'm given to understand that the rear transaxle's internals were heavily modified on the original Twini Mini so that the input was in the front and was operated by the rear of the selector, which was modified appropriately. Some of these modifications are depicted here:

twini_zps0050d686.jpg

^ Same! I was actually gonna go dig it out of the garage to see what the model was called because I couldn't remember its name for the life of me. Always thought it was cool, although up until now I've never heard anyone else mention it.

The Volkswagen Polo Vivo, which is the successor to the Citi Golf in South Africa. It's a facelifted Mk4 Polo.
A few years back I went to Cape Town and was shocked to see so many Golf Mk2s driving around. That's when I learned about the Citi Golf. Sold there until 2009! Cool to see such a classic style car on the roads that long.

20060411--orca_engineering_c113-4.jpg

Its called the C 113 Currently, the car uses a turbocharged variant of Volvo's 2.3 liter inline-5 engine, probably designed by someone with a axe.

They even made an attempt at Le Mans in 1993 where they qualified 30th, 50secs off the fastest GT which was a Porsche 964 Turbo.

What made it interesting though, is that the M100 that set that lap time was completely stock apart from it's slick tyres, which wasn't too bad to be fair.

They did bring a 2nd car which was properly race prepped, and even had a twin turbo version of the 3.5L Boxer-12 from Subaru's attempt at F1, instead of the Lambo Countach unit. But turns out it made the car much worse, as it couldn't handle the extra power from the new beastly unit :lol:.

Last edited:
They even made an attempt at Le Mans in 1993 where they qualified 30th, 50secs off the fastest GT which was a Porsche 964 Turbo.

What made it interesting though, is that the M100 that set that lap time was completely stock apart from it's slick tyres, which wasn't too bad to be fair.

They did bring a 2nd car which was properly race prepped, and even had a twin turbo version of the 3.5L V12 from Subaru's attempt at F1, instead of the Lambo Countach unit. But turns out it made the car much worse, as it couldn't handle the extra power from the new beastly unit :lol:.

This sounds interesting, got any links?

This sounds interesting, got any links?

Sure thing:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w8rdj3z/

When @RandomCarGuy17 posted that M100, it prompted me to bring up that post of the Le Mans version from CarThrottle, as the whole backstory behind it was quite fascinating to me.

Edit: Just want to point out that technically the Subaru F1 unit used was a Boxer-12 not a V12 as the CT article states, and as I stated earlier incorrectly.

Out of Boredom I searched for some Subaru concepts, and I found a whole boatload of cars. Who knew Fuji Heavy Industries could get so funky?

1991 Subaru Amadeus

1995 Subaru Alpha-Exiga

1987 Subaru F-624 Estremo

1989 Subaru SRD-1

1991 Subaru CM1

1991 Subaru Rioma

1991 Subaru Hanako

1985 Subaru F9-X

1995 Subaru Streega- the original Forester!

1987 Subaru BLT

1995 Subaru Operetta

And the strangest of all... 1999 Subaru Woody Concept

In the two decades where Subaru was big on frameless windows, I was always surprised that they never threw something through ASC for the California market or whatever. Though perhaps the Impreza might have been too floppy of a car to do it.

Last edited:
Out of Boredom I searched for some Subaru concepts, and I found a whole boatload of cars. Who knew Fuji Heavy Industries could get so funky?

1991 Subaru Amadeus

1995 Subaru Alpha-Exiga

1989 Subaru SRD-1

1991 Subaru CM1

1991 Subaru Rioma

1991 Subaru Hanako

1985 Subaru F9-X

1987 Subaru BLT

1995 Subaru Operetta

What an overload of Subarus...

Well the Amadeus is a Rover 75 estate on JDM steroids, the Exiga is what the Legacy wagon would become with slightly less edge, the CM1 is a supercharged take on the Smart Crossblade with an additional roof, the Rioma is what a Subaru CR-X with the backside of a Crown Victoria could've been, and the Hanako is the cutest thing ever.

It's a shame that very few of those concepts became a legitimate reality, but at the very least it proves Subaru had plenty of inspiration to give in the 1990s...

1991 Subaru Amadeus

1995 Subaru Alpha-Exiga

1989 Subaru SRD-1

1991 Subaru CM1

1991 Subaru Rioma

1991 Subaru Hanako

1985 Subaru F9-X

1987 Subaru BLT

1995 Subaru Operetta

The Old concept cars website (where you got some of the pics from) is a really good site, filled with many obscurities even from obscure manufacturers. Looking at the Subaru section, I came across this:

upload_2017-3-17_10-27-21.png

Subaru Jo-Car '87

"Subaru’s colorful Jo-Car was one of several automotive fashion statements at the Tokyo Motor Show ’87"

upload_2017-3-17_10-28-21.png

upload_2017-3-17_10-28-33.png

You gotta love that interior :P

The Old concept cars website (where you got some of the pics from) is a really good site, filled with many obscurities even from obscure manufacturers. Looking at the Subaru section, I came across this:

View attachment 634486

Subaru Jo-Car '87

"Subaru’s colorful Jo-Car was one of several automotive fashion statements at the Tokyo Motor Show ’87"

View attachment 634487

View attachment 634488

You gotta love that interior :P
I actually already knew of the Jo-Car's existence, which is why I didn't include it in my post. Very obscure vehicle indeed.

I actually already knew of the Jo-Car's existence, which is why I didn't include it in my post. Very obscure vehicle indeed.

I thought for anyone who hadn't heard of it, that's all (including me until seeing it yesterday) :)
Either way that is a great website

Back