You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,186 comments
Holden Suburban

holdne-suburban-2000-used-(2).jpg

1999_Holden_Suburban_K8_1500_LS_02.jpg

14026597_322844708059977_890773729_n.jpg

Never thought to see a RHD version of Chevrolet Suburban/Tahoe & GMC Yukon/XL.

Holden Suburban

holdne-suburban-2000-used-(2).jpg

1999_Holden_Suburban_K8_1500_LS_02.jpg

14026597_322844708059977_890773729_n.jpg

Never thought to see a RHD version of Chevrolet Suburban/Tahoe & GMC Yukon/XL.
I find it particularly odd how the second Suburban you posted has a Canadian flag. They were never sold there...

With all the Escalade-nosed C1500s/Tahores/Suburbans out there, I wonder if anyone has bothered to swap that grill on.

Didn't you own one? Could've sworn that's how I learned of its existence years ago.

I've owned 3 of the USDM 2 doors (97, 98 and 2001) but no, I never owned a 4 door as they never became legal for import over here. It's entirely possible I posted about the 4 door in the past, as it's always been on my affordable dream car shortlist.

I find it particularly odd how the second Suburban you posted has a Canadian flag. They were never sold there...
A few years back, while walking around in Melbourne, I saw one of these Suburbans (though I assumed it was a Chevy at the time), but it had American license plates (forget which state). Looking back, it must have been one of these Holden versions, but I still can't explain why it had U.S. plates. I'll have to look at the picture I took, although it's from the back and won't help much.

Edit: Looks like it was on my phone. But I see a Chevy badge anyways, and it's left hand drive. So I dunno what to believe. :lol:
123_zps34928a11.jpg

Last edited:
A few years back, while walking around in Melbourne, I saw one of these Suburbans (though I assumed it was a Chevy at the time), but it had American license plates (forget which state). Looking back, it must have been one of these Holden versions, but I still can't explain why it had U.S. plates. I'll have to look at the picture I took, although it's from the back and won't help much.

Edit: Looks like it was on my phone. But I see a Chevy badge anyways, and it's left hand drive. So I dunno what to believe. :lol:
123_zps34928a11.jpg
That's a Tahoe and the wrong gen. the Holden was a GMT400 thats a GMT800.

IMG_5951.JPG

Here's something I found out about Canada recently- they love their rebadges! This is the '66 Pontiac Beaumont, a rebadged Chevrolet Chevelle for the Canadian market. They sold these as the Acadian Beaumont as well.

This is the 1967 model. Don't know much about this one, but alas, this one is Chevelle based as well.
IMG_6930.JPG

Here's a 68 model, based on the Chevelle of the same year. Note the "SD-396" monkier, specifying that they didn't use Pontiac engines but rather the engines that went with the Chevelle.

IMG_6926.JPG

This Acadian is based on the 1966 Chevy II Nova.

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_9677.JPG

The way I discovered this car is through the movie Shadows In An Empty Room (also known as Blazing Magnum), which I am assuming the scenes were filmed in Quebec or some other place in a French-Canadian region.

Mercedes-Benz Renntransporter "Blue Wonder" Car Transporter
autowp-ru_mercedes-benz_blue_wonder_transporter_9.jpeg

Powered by the same engine as the 300SL, and was used to transport the 300SLR to races back in the 50's. It was scrapped in 1967 (having not been used since Mercedes pulled out of motorsports in 1955) but they recently built a replica using archived photographs.

Mercedes-Benz high-speed racing car transporter.

The special high-speed transporter for racing cars was a one-of-a-kind specimen built by the Mercedes-Benz testing department. The racing department used the transporter, also called the “Blue Wonder”, to chauffeur its racing cars in 1955 – at speeds of up to 106 mph. As the original no longer exists, the vehicle was completely reconstructed with the help of documents from the archives.
  • Engine: 3.0 Inline 6
  • Power: 192 hp
  • Top Speed: 106 mph

Mazda MX-6 GTU

Mazda MX-6 GTU.jpg

Was aware of Mazda's extensive IMSA program in the 80's and 90's what with GTO FB/ FC Rx-7's and the various GTP's such as the RX-792P and so on. But I didn't realise that it included the MX-6, with it being based on the MK1 version.

Although "based" is strong word :lol:, as the standard MX-6 was FF, so instead the GTU version was based around a tubular chassis with the 13b Rotary slapped in the middle, with the MX-6 body on top (basically they re-bodied the GTO RX-7 of the time to create it as far as I can tell) .

Which is why I loved the classic IMSA GTO/GTU space-frame regs of the time, as it allowed for the creation of some of the most bonkers machines around.

Plus the MX-6 achieved a fair bit of success much like it's RX-7 brethren, winning a fair few races in the GTU class in '89

They did race some "standard" FF MX-6's in the lower STU class at around the same time as well I believe.

Last edited:
Mazda MX-6 GTU

View attachment 636196

Was aware of Mazda's extensive IMSA program in the 80's and 90's what with GTO FB/ FC Rx-7's and the various GTP's such as the RX-792P and so on. But I didn't realise that it included the MX-6, with it being based on the MK1 version.

Although "based" is strong word :lol:, as the standard MX-6 was FF, so instead the GTU version was based around a tubular chassis with the 13b Rotary slapped in the middle, with the MX-6 body on top (basically they re-bodied the GTO RX-7 of the time to create it as far as I can tell) .

Which is why I loved the classic IMSA GTO/GTU space-frame regs of the time, as it allowed for the creation of some of the most bonkers machines around.

Plus the MX-6 achieved a fair bit of success much like it's RX-7 brethren, winning a fair few races in the GTU class in '89

They did race some "standard" FF MX-6's in the lower STU class at around the same time as well I believe.
I didn't know there was a Mazda MX-6 road car, let alone a racing version :indiff:

The Chevrolet Camaro Heritage Edition, it was basically going to be the special edition Camaro for its 25th Anniversary, but Chevrolet cancelled the idea.

It's a crying shame it never reached production. All of those special performance parts and the base RS look made it quite something. Also a shame the one in the video got chopped up in the early 2000s after the guy in charge of GM's Heritage Collection didn't realize the worth and history of it either (not to mention that it was the last of the 14 prototypes they made).

Last edited:
The Reliant Fox, which i'd like to see next to a classic Mini:
6288637607_45abb733c9_b.jpg

There are other variations besides a pick-up, even though the first probably doesn't count:
Reliant%20Fox%20front.jpg

Reliant_Fox_Camper_Van%2Cwell_never_mind_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

As well as the Reliant Scimitar SS1, which looks like a Pontiac Fiero convertible that someone attempted to modify to look like a Lotus Esprit, but ended up giving up at some point:
Reliant%20Scimitar%20SS1%201800ti%201988%20front.jpg

The headlights pop up.
IMG_0459.JPG

The Scimitar SS1 isn't a bad little car, the SST and Sabre revamps were OK too. Some of the early ones had weird step-sided doors though, a little like the BMW Z1.

Came across this today, new one on me, the Monica 560. One of the more obscure of many EU-US hybrids of the 60s and 70s, not bad looking:

1200px-Monica_1973_seitlich.JPG

image-thumb

Monica_(automobile)

That Monica is a bit like the French coupe cousin of the Jensen Interceptor; big body, and a big Chrysler V8 to match (although not as big as the Jensen, it's only a 5.6-litre V8. It was supposed to have an engine designed by one Ted Martin, but that plan was ditched because apparently his engine wasn't enough to haul the Monica's rather heavy-but-handsome body...

The canned Group S regs, that were penned by FISA as the replacement for Group B, always fascinated me since it's "what could have been", with potentially fascinating machines such as the planned Lancia ECV and Toyota 222D.

But this particular prototype has escaped me until now: The Seat Ibiza Bimotor
Seat Ibiza Bimotor Grb B 2.jpg

This was basically a planned project between two Spanish brothers to make a Group S machine. However, at the time Seat didn't really have the money to invest in a full blown rally machine, and since 4WD was the big thing, it was very expensive with it still being a new technology.

To get around this the brothers came up a neat idea (approved by Seat) of getting 4WD cheaply (relatively), by using two engines; hence the Bimotor moniker, and welding two front sections together. What made this twin engine setup more interesting, is that the whole engine and drive-train was co-developed with Porsche. This allowed Seat to use the engines under the "System Porsche" name, which were two 1461cc 4-cylinder units producing 125bhp each (so 250bhp overall).

Furthermore, whats also interesting is that Italdesign and Karmann, designed and manufactured the bodywork, yet it looked quite sedated compared to the other Group S designs at the time if you compare it.

Whilst it never officially competed, turns out it was tested quite thoroughly in local Spanish rallies, and they even made an "Evo 2" model which had 150bhp from each engine, so now 300Bhp overall. Which coupled with it's relatively low weight of just 1-tonne, mean't it would have gone like the clappers :eek:.

Back