You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
This is new to me.

1983-1986 Chrysler Executive Limousine

1983-1984 Chrysler Executive Sedan

They were created by taking the then current FWD LeBaron to ASC who then cut the car in half and fabricated a new center section and all the luxury amenities. They both came with the Mitsubishi-built 2.6 Liter Four and a three-speed automatic. The Sedan had a 124 inch wheelbase and was 203.4 inches long. The Limousine had a 131.3 inch wheelbase, and was 220.5 inches long for the first two years, and 210.7 inches long for the final two years (although wheelbase remained unchanged.) The 2.6L engine was swapped for a 2.2L turbo engine in the final year of the Limousine. Surprisingly, 206 Sedans and 1494 Limousines were built.

This little thingy called the "Silver Fox"

8548.jpg

There's almost nothing about this car, it's from 2000, looks cute and it's been forgotten.

Probably how Clarkson sees Porsches.

I recently learned about the Aston Martin DBS59, which commemorates a historic Aston Martin's victory at Le Mans. A very limited number will be made, and they're all going to this dealership in Greenwich, CT. I may live just as southward in that state, but I'm much closer to the Rhode Island border, whereas Greenwich (which also hosts a vintage auto show that's very similar to Pebble Beach) is probably like, an hour or so from the NY border. Greenwich and Fairfield are probably the most bougie parts of the state, AFAIK.

Ligier JS4

Ligier-JS4.jpg

Coming from the production car branch of Equipe Ligier (from F1 fame), this little oddity is from a family of cars called VSPs (Voiture Sans Permis): lightweight vehicles that anyone in France aged 14 or over can take out on the road with as little as four hours experience behind the wheel... sometimes not even that.

After abandoning production of their JS2 sports car, from 1978 Ligier briefly sub-manufactured tractor cabins for Renault Industrial Vehicles, which is where the JS4 would find its origins: it's basically a tractor cabin on wheels. Combined with a steel monocoque, independent suspension, drum brakes, and a 49cc Motobecane single cylinder engine mounted below the luggage compartment (producing a mind-boggling 3.2bhp! :lol:), and you get what you see above.

It didn't do too badly in terms of sales for a VSP: 6,941 in its first full year of production (1981). The F1 team even used one at race weekends painted in the team colours as a pit vehicle. By the end of the year derivatives of the mobile cabin were made available: Standard, Luxe, and Grand Luxe. However the steel body, while strong, was heavy and led to drive axles failing, and exposed a weak transmission. The steel body also rusted, something that didn't bother the mostly plastic-bodied competition.

In 1982, a more powerful version called the JS8 hit the market with a 125cc Derbi engine, then in 1984 the JS6 replaced the original, which had a more rounded front, with a faux grille in black plastic. By 1985, the VSP would come available with a variety of engines from Derbi, and even a 327cc diesel from Lombardi. There was also a longer truck version, called the 330 U.
Little known fact: this car was the precursor to the J5*
IMG_6988.JPG

*just kidding
:lol:

1960 Porsche Carrara Abarth GTL
Porsche356B1600GSCarreraGTLAbarth_1500.jpg
60-Porsche-Abarth-num49-DV-11-MH-01.jpg
60-Porsche-356B_Carrera-GTL_DV-15-AI_a013-800.jpg
356b_abarth_carrera_1.jpg

If the Porsche is a derivative of the small little bug, and here you are showing us the the Porsche is getting the tiny Fiat 500 Abarth treatment, then all we are now missing is the Porsche Cooper S to do full circle of all the old City cars...

I doubt I'm the first person to post this, but I wanted to give a special nod of appreciation to the Paykan, and more specifically it's fantastic badge.

paykan-coventry-2.jpg

I don't think anyone else has utilized a stylized horse and carriage motif before or since.
That one's new to me. I did a quick search and the part of the world from which it hails immediately made me think of Anadol.

2c103b1edb11ce3f34cc827f2a3cc7ac.jpg

Their iconography is far less remarkable, even awkward (What is wrong with that buck?), but I am fond of the STC-16 with its Ford mechanicals and Kent Crossflow.

Anadol_STC-16_front_right.JPG

:lol:

So...oil change every other clutch replacement?

I should note that the Zamyad has 100hp and a 4600lb payload capacity. If you're keeping score, that's more than a 2019 Ford F250. One day I'd like to import a Zamyad, if for nothing else than how damn cool they look. Something about tall sidewalls with narrow steel wheels just looks so right to me.

Here's one surprisingly not blue:
Nissan_Junior_-_Zamyad_24.JPG

The Holden Efijy Concept from 2005

Holden-Efijy-4-nw.jpg

Holden-Efijy-1-nw.jpg

The design of the Efijy pays tribute to the 1953 Holden FJ, the second Holden model, The concept was designed and built entirely in house at GM Holden’s Australian design studio and engineering department. The project was overseen by Holden chief designer Richard Ferlazzo. It is painted in a “Soprano Purple” paint color and features bright work handmade from billet aluminum.

The Efijy is based on a lengthened Chevrolet Corvette floor pan and features a 6.0 litre LS2 V8 engine with a Roots supercharger producing 480 kW (644 hp) at 6,400 rpm and 560 lb-ft of torque at 4,200 rpm. Power goes to the rear wheels through a rear mounted 4-speed automatic transmission with a limited slip differential. The exhaust is a fully custom, stainless steel unit and features billet aluminum exhaust tips. It rides on an air suspension system that lowers the car when it is stopped, and also has electronic instrumentation, including a multi-use display screen that disappears into the dash.

Since its debut showing at The Australian International Motor Show in 2005, the Holden Efijy has been named the United States concept car of the year for 2007. Once it returned to Australia, the Efijy visited the National Motor Museum at Birdwood, South Australia, in February 2008.

Holden-Efijy-engine-nw.jpg

Holden-Efijy-detail-nw.jpg

And if you think the exterior itself isn't good looking, take a look at the interior:

Holden-Efijy-detail-1-nw.jpg

Holden-Efijy-interior-2-nw.jpg

Holden-Efijy-interior-detail-nw.jpg

Back